Start by marking “The Secret Portrait (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
The Secret Portrait (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #1)

The Secret Portrait (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Fleeing an academic scandal and a broken marriage, Jean Fairbairn has come to Scotland to work for an Edinburgh-based history and travel magazine. Writing about the Scottish national pastime of playing illusion off reality is just the quiet, scholarly pursuit she needs to soothe her burned-out emotions. But when Jean heads for the Highlands to investigate the 18th century ...more
Published December 30th 2010 by Wildside Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Portrait, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Portrait

Jacob Proffitt
This was an excellent story. I particularly enjoyed Jean Fairbairn as the magazine reporter with just a little bit extra and a past that is emotionally troublesome. I liked the slow boil between her and Alasdair (with his own troublesome past) and hope their relationship gets some further progress in future novels (heaven knows the progress in this one was small, though encouraging). At this point, you'd have a hard time keeping me from further stories featuring these characters with a rabid dog ...more
Susan
Got about halfway through and found the story exceedingly slow moving. Found it too easy to put down. I liked the setting (Scotland) and the main character was well drawn but that is about all I can recommend going for this book. Pity, the storyline sounded really good.

2/14 - I'm afraid that I still could not finish this book. I had only about 100 pages left but as the story went along it slowly ground to a halt. I tried my best to keep reading but I found it very slow going where nothing much o
C.
Excellent writing does not go hand in hand with good storytelling. I consider gifted writing a treat. In the end, readers must be entertained: compelling scenarios, characters, flavour, a fine wordsmith... Unfortunately this book’s pacing lagged. Although always elegant or intelligently witty; she was too verbose on every page. Lapses of thought during dialogue should clarify or enhance a conversation, not interrupt its flow. Lillian Stewart Carl’s knowledge of history is exceptional and I glean ...more
Allison
I came to The Secret Portrait by way of John Scalzi's big idea feature. Lillian Stewart Carl wrote a piece promoting the newest mystery in her Fairbairn/Cameron series, I was intrigued and decided to start with the first book. I hope her writing has improved as her series progressed. A somewhat heavy hand with description, featuring an over-reliance on similes, made a good portion of the book a plod. Despite a fairly engaging heroine (despite her annoying habit of thinking in simile!) and the al ...more
William Scott
Always on the lookout for new mysteries novels, I chanced upon The Secret Portrait and decided to give it a try. Set in the modern Highlands of Scotland, the scenery immediately lends itself to an uncomfortable sense of danger and tragedy. Combined with a cast of suspects that were not the paper thin characters of many mysteries, it quenched my thirst for intrigue.

As stated by some other reviewers the story does seem to suffer from lag at the beginning, the device of the gold coin initially wea
Nora-adrienne
The Secret Portrait
By: Lillian Stewart Carl
Copyright April 2005

This is the first book in the Jean Fairbairn – Alistair Cameron Mystery series. Here we meet the main character s for the first time. Jean was an academic in the US, who after a bit of trouble back home, a nice cash settlement and a divorce from the marriage that shouldn’t have been, is living in Scotland as the silent partner of a magazine called “Great Scott”.

She is visited at her office by a gentleman named George Lovelace, a ret
LJ
THE SECRET PORTRAIT (Mys/Para-Jean Fairbairn-Scotland-Cont) – G+
Carl, Lillian Stewart – 1st of series
Five Star, 2005, US Hardcover – ISBN:1594143072

First sentence: Jean Fairbairn sat on the stone windowsill of her office, if hardly in command then at least in admiration of all she surveyed.

Historian and half-owner in a Scottish magazine, Jean Fairbairn is visited by George Lovelace, an older gentleman at her office. He claims to have found, and shows Jean, a old gold coin. The coin is a Louis d’
CatBookMom
This book doesn't move fast, but it is well-written and I found myself spending more and more time with my Kindle, to find out what happened next. Now I have to go figure out where to get the sequel without having to pay full price for it, eh?

Jean Fairbairn is a very likable character, bookish, clever, a transplanted American in Edinburgh, now writing feature stories for a Scottish magazine. For an article, she's gone to a very old manor house, the former home of a Scottish clan chief, which ha
Sally
This is the second book of the series that I have read, although actually the first one of the series. I am constantly impressed by the writing, which far transcends in descriptive phrases, a series mystery. My favorite line in this book was "a woman easing into middle-age as though into a cold swimming pool".
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This was a very interesting book. It introduces an Historian and co-owner of a History/Travel magazine by the name of Jean Fairbairn. Jean is from Texas but feels totally at home in Edinburgh, Scotland.

An elderly military man comes to see Jean with a coin that is believed to be that of a missing treasure of Bonnie Prince Charlie's.

Quickly, Jean takes off to verify and research this find. What she finds, is the body of her informant. Stuck in the manor house, Jean is living with a murderer and ca
Troyce
First of a great series of mysteries with light supernatural touches. It follows an American living in Edinburgh who gets involved in murder, and more, in Scotland. The first involves an American game millionare and Jacobites :)
Vilo
I have enjoyed the entire Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron mystery series. They are set in Scotland, involve history, and a restrained romance I found much more realistic than that found in many books.
Janet
Fort William, Achnacarry, Bonnie Prince Charlie, Commando .... very familiar sites and a murder thrown in for good measure.
Howard Brazee
For some reason, I can read pure fantasy, but when we have what appears to be our world with ghosts, I can't finish. Too bad, as the book was interesting until the protagonist actually saw a ghost. Maybe it's because people really believe in ghosts.

Siobhan
Atmospheric mystery with interesting, layered characters. Richly developed.
Erin
I enjoyed the Scotish location in the book and believe it's a good first in the series book. That being said I thought the middle began to drag just a bit and it took a bit to long for Jean and Alasdair figure things out.
Barbara
Nice, interesting mystery set in modern Scotland. The main characters are interesting, the mystery tight. I shall definitely be reading the next in the series.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Sep 12, 2011 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as decided-not-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Snail in Danger (Sid) by: http://morgenbailey.wordpress.com/2011/08/25/blog-interview-no-106-with-multi-genre-author-lillian-stewart-carl/ via Lois McMaster Bujold's blog
Shelves: mystery-genre
It just wasn't really hooking me in. Also I kept questioning that modern Scots really talk in such a dialect-heavy way. But maybe they do and I'm wrong....
Daniele
A bit slow moving at times but interesting of sure to scratch any Scottish itch.
Stephanie
fun read. not great literature, but fun if you like Scotland and mysteries
Hannah
Mar 02, 2011 Hannah marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Slow going, and uninteresting. Would rather watch paint dry...
Susan Moore
I couldn't put this down and loved every minute of it.
Allison Rasa
Allison Rasa marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Aunt Augusta
Aunt Augusta marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Christmas is Murder (Rex Graves Mystery #1)
  • Strong Spirits (Daisy Gumm Majesty, #1)
  • Summer's End
  • The Princess's Bride (Pirates of Flaundia #1)
  • Francis (Felidae, #2)
  • Head Games
  • Baited Blood (A Madison Rose Vampire Mystery, #2)
  • A Very Private Grave (Monastery Murders, #1)
  • Leaving Jetty Road
  • Silver Lies (Silver Rush, #1)
  • Chrysanthe
  • The Cruel Ever After (Jane Lawless, #18)
  • Artifacts (Faye Longchamp, #1)
  • Pleasure Me
  • King of Ithaka
  • Forbidden Fruit (Corinna Chapman, #5)
  • The Wine of Angels (Merrily Watkins, #1)
  • Under World (Dalziel & Pascoe, #10)
Author bio:

Lillian Stewart Carl's work often features paranormal/fantasy themes and always features plots based on mythology, history, and archaeology. Most of her novels take place squarely in the twenty-first century, where the past lingers on into the present, especially in the British Isles, Lillian's home away from home.

She is the author of nineteen novels so far, including the Jean Fairbairn
More about Lillian Stewart Carl...
The Vorkosigan Companion The Murder Hole (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #2) The Burning Glass (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #3) The Charm Stone (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #4) Ashes to Ashes (Ashes to Ashes #1)