The Price of Blood

The Price of Blood (Ed Loy #3)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  24 reviews
What's in a name? Apparently everything for Ed Loy, because that's the only information Father Vincent Tyrrell, brother of prominent racehorse trainer F. X. Tyrrell, offers when he asks for Ed's help in finding a missing person. Even the best private eye needs more than just a name, but hard times and a dwindling bank account make it difficult for Loy to say no.

He is not w...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Price of Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Price of Blood

Chris
Ed Loy in a familiar theme is getting beat up, beating up others, sleeping with women who he shouldn't be, and walking the line between legal and illegal and life and death. This time a priest hires him to find a jockey who has been missing for over 10 years. After all is said and done I'm left wondering why the priest hired him as Ed always seems to find out everything and cross the Rubicon that the client doesn't want crossed. This is another sordid family tale with greed and sex and lots of t...more
Lukasz Pruski
Declan Hughes' "The Price of Blood" is the third novel in the series that features Ed Loy, a private detective, who - after spending 20 years in Los Angeles - returns to Dublin, the place of his birth and youth. I have reviewed the first two books here and here. I like them more than the current book, mainly because they are more reminiscent of Ross Macdonald's work and because the writing is better. In "The Price of Blood", the sins of the past also cast a long shadow upon the present, but the...more
Tony
Hughes, Declan. THE PRICE OF BLOOD: An Irish Novel of Suspense. (2008). ****. Hughes is a very articulate and crafty writer. The subtitle identifies this novel as one of suspense, but the word “blood” in the title telegraphs that this will be yet another novel of crime that is based on an aberrant family tree. Turns out that this is correct, as we follow the adventures of Ed Loy – a private detective that we have met in Hughes’ earlier novels – who is hired by Father Vincent Tyrrell to find out...more
Karen
THE DYING BREED is the third book in the Irish PI Ed Loy series from Declan Hughes, Ed being an Irishman who went home after living in the US for many years. A broken marriage and the tragic death of his young daughter are events that shaped him there, but his childhood in Ireland shaped him even more firmly, and a large number of the characters that he works with on a daily basis are connections from the past. But he's a PI (in a place where that's still a bit of a novelty) and he's ready for h...more
Janebbooks
In a recent interview, Irish author Declan Hughes talks about his Ed Loy mystery series. The books, he says, are family gothic. "Despite the impression Irish people give that we're open and friendly and candid, there's a lot we don't want to tell you -- a lot of skeletons in our closets."

In this third Ed Loy P. I. novel, Hughes relates a family saga full of family blood, betrayal, and secrets. Keeping the secrets is THE DYING BREED.

Ed Loy, a private investigator, is asked to solve the disappeara...more
Tom Carrico
The Price of Blood
By Declan Hughes

This novel has all of the makings of a great Irish mystery story: family secrets, beautiful red-heads, lots of whiskey, an alcoholic private investigator, crooked cops and a priest with a tawdry history. If you add in the bonus of the story being set around a stable for thorough-bred race horses this book can’t miss, right? Wrong.

The story opens with Father Vincent Tyrell hiring Ed Loy to find a jockey, Patrick Hutton, who has been missing for several years an...more
Al

He is not without luck, however. While working another case, Loy discovers a phone number that seems linked to F.X. found on an uniden

Michael Smith
This is an interesting book, but it was let down by the writing style in my opinion. Lots of long sentences that were broken up with an overuse of semi-colons. Also I found it a bit hard to keep track of all the characters involved, though I'm not sure if that was a problem with the book, or just a problem with my memory.

The actual story itself was interesting, though a little too disturbing for my tastes. Bottom line: there's certainly worse books you could be reading, but there's also better b...more
Sandra
Declan Hughes just gets better, as we get to know Ed Loy better in all his sadness and drinking and loyalties and ability to see through, see into other's hearts and heads and motivations. And this complex, twisty, desperately sad tale is dealt with clarity and no happy endings. All related in language, in writing so spot on perfect I despair of ever following it.
[Best bit though, I still have 'All the dead voices' still to read but will hang onto that for a while, enjoying the anticipation.]
Susan W. Waflart
A good juicy detective story involving what else....the rich and famous. Through in the world of horse racing, murder, incest, abuse by the catholic clergy and you can sum up this novel. Since the author is Irish and the main character is Irish I struggled at times with some of the dialogue but got through it okay. I liked it enough that I may check out other books in the series by this author.
I was disappointed. Started off great -- he's a good writer, interesting characters, strong on setting -- but then the story just got way, way over the top into soap opera. Relied on a single character "confessing" in detail, sure sign of a writer having to explain his own plot at the end, rather than build a strong plot that can be revealed through the narrative.
Sandi
Dublin PI Ed Loy is hired by a priest to find a missing person. This series specializes in the the family secrets type plot and while I did like it the ending was totally over the top (though what do I know since it was nominated for a best mystery Edgar this year). I thought the first two books in the series were much better.
Stan
A very dark tale of secrets, abuse, and brutality. I would give Hughes 5 stars for his exceptional writing, characterization, dialogue, and creation of an ominous, foreboding atmosphere. But I found myself unable to be engaged by or care much about the very complex plot.
Joe
Not a bad 3rd installment of the Ed Loy series, slightly similar is style to the previous book 'the colour of blood' will be interested to see what the series holds from here on in as to date each of the 3 books are all based on large families and their secrets..
Karen Douglass
The sort of book I put off work to finish reading. Hughes does not disappoint. His plotting is convoluted but satisfying. And the contemporary Irish settings delight me. I'll probably read anything he ever writes.
Tom
This is my first book of a planned exploration into the "modern Irish detective story" genre. Pretty good, and I'll try some more in the ("Ed Loy") series.
Jane
Tell no one. Say nothing. That's the Irish creed in this dark tale of crime, abuse, horses, drink, and . . . I better say nothing, or I'll spoil it.
Tequila
Excellent book with a twisted plot. So - why isn't the 5th book in the Ed Loy series "The Color of Blood" not available in the DC Public Library?
Gina
A pretty great mystery/thriller with a noir-ish detective and a good look at Dublin. Well worth the read.
Ken
It's a good, but not great mystery. The Irish dialect is sometimes impenetrable.
Lynn Kearney
Gritty Irish take on hardboiled American crime genre.
Diyani
Kate
Jul 19, 2009 Kate is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook.
Beth Baer
Beth Baer marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Darcy Ingram
Darcy Ingram marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Declan Hughes has worked for more than twenty years in the theater in Dublin as director and playwright. In 1984, he cofounded Rough Magic, Ireland's leading independent theater company. He has been writer in association with the Abbey Theatre and remains an artistic associate of Rough Magic. He lives in Dublin, Ireland.

Series:
* Ed Loy Mystery
More about Declan Hughes...
The Wrong Kind of Blood (Ed Loy, #1) The Color of Blood (Ed Loy, #2) City of Lost Girls (Ed Loy, #5) All the Dead Voices (Ed Loy, #4) All The Things You Are