Start by marking “The Crippled Lamb” as Want to Read:
The Crippled Lamb

The Crippled Lamb

4.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,977 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
For younger children, the classic book "The Crippled Lamb" has been revised slightly and is presented in the popular board book format, perfect for little hands and durable enough to withstand some "toss and tumble."
Published September 14th 1999 by Tommy Nelson (first published October 14th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Crippled Lamb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crippled Lamb

Amanda Hicks
This is about a crippled lamb who is often sad because he cannot do the things the other lambs can do. His friend, Abigail, who is a cow, keeps reminding him that "God has a special place for those who feel left out". One day the lambs move into a new pasture but Joshua, the crippled lamb, stays behind beside it is too far of a journey. However, that night in the stable, Jesus is born and Joshua uses his wool to keep Jesus warm. Joshua is reminded of why Abigail has said and finally believes he ...more
Tikka
Nov 19, 2011 Tikka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just bought this for my daughter. Such a great message about being different.
Gail Welborn
Nov 21, 2013 Gail Welborn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
***a roundup of ten delightful Christmas children's books to consider***

Christmas Book Roundup II, for Children Ages 3-9 & 9-12, by Gail Welborn

These attractive and imaginative books include a comic book Bible, a devotional, a storybook Bible/ CD combo, the true story of a sharecropper’s son and more for children ages 3-9 and 9-12, noted in title headlines.

Story themes include forgiveness, compassion, God’s creation, Old and New Testament stories, and other adventures, even a zany tour of
Becky Kondritz
Dec 20, 2014 Becky Kondritz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this to my junior high students to remind them that what they perceive as imperfections in themselves may actually be God's blessings in disguise. Love this book!
Ruth Sophia
Jan 14, 2015 Ruth Sophia rated it it was ok
Disappointing

Unlike others who give this book a low rating, my complaint isn't that the title calls the lamb "crippled" While I understand their concerns, it is a descriptive (accurate) word - it may not ve ideal, but its also not a surprise since it's in the title.

Instead, my complaint is that this story seems a stretch - even for an imaginative retelling of the nativity. Mary & Joseph (I doubt) would talk of their son as the new king, nor would they say that he came from heaven to teach
Amy Welty
Jan 18, 2016 Amy Welty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my top-ten favorites!

Simple and beautifully written and illustrated. A timeless truth to share with all children. I highly recommend this and other Max Lucado's books.
Allyn
Jun 05, 2015 Allyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you do not cry when you read this story do you even have a heart? I love this story! People with disabilities are put on this earth because they do have a purpose in life!
Brooklyn
Jul 08, 2008 Brooklyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just because you dont think you have it good, doesnt mean Heavenly Father doesnt have something special waiting just for you.
Alex
Courtney
Mar 11, 2013 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ed-310
There is a message to the reader at the beginning of this book that says "returning to a familiar story is like revisiting an old friend..inviting, comfortable." And that is exactly how I felt as I read this story again. I remember this story from when I was younger, and I love it just as much now.

The main character in this story is a crippled lamb whose only friend is an old cow named Abigail. The lamb's name is Joshua, and he always feels left out because he can't run and jump with the other l
MaKayla Holopirek
Max Lucado is one of my favorite authors. Out of all his books he has written, this book is my absolute favorite. The illustrations are what make this book even more amazing. I love the concept that a "disabled" lamb was given the gift of witnessing the birth of Jesus. It is a motivational message to all children born with special needs that the is a purpose and meaning behind their daily struggles. My parents gave me this book for Christmas in 1998 so it is also a special keepsake.
Kim
I didn't have super high expectations for this one anyway, but it was too much of a stretch on the nativity story (which I am quite fond of) for me to take it seriously. The whole purpose of the lamb's existence was to be there to snuggle up to baby Jesus when he was born? C'mon now.
Jenny
I love the cow, Abigail, and her kindness to Joshua as well as her wisdom. I love her words "God has a special place for those who feel left out." (Don't we all feel left out or alone at times? Don't we all need God's comfort?). Beautiful story of the nativity.
Nicole
Sep 17, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is definitely one of my favorite books. It tells the story about how Joshua the lamb discovers that God has a unique plan for everyone. With its gorgeous illustrations, Max Lucado tells a touching story about how being different isn't such a bad thing.
Trina
Jul 14, 2015 Trina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best children's books ever. I have read this to my children every Christmas Eve since they were born and they are now 18, 16 and 12 and still look forward to this tradition. A great message of acceptance and self worth.
Shelly
Sep 27, 2008 Shelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reading this book to my children. It's a story about a crippled lamb who wanted nothing more than to be like every other lamb. One day it was time to move the sheep to greener pastures and the shepherd to him to stay behind and go to the barn. Saddened and left out, the sheep's only friend, a cow, offered comfort in saying "God has a special place for those who feel let out". So that night in the barn, while feeling alone and forgotten, the lamb witnessed something amazing...the birth of ...more
Denae Christine
I'm pretty sure I've read this before.
Anyway, I like the focus on the nativity scene from an animal's perspective. It's a bit wordy (or I was exhausted and ready for bed when reading it), but the pictures are good. Basic.
Dru
Aug 10, 2007 Dru rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my all time favorite children's books. It's just so heart warming, and it touches me everytime I read it, from the very first time to even today when I read it to my cousin who's only 7 months old. The message delievered in it is just unmistakable and extremely valuable: it teaches you that regardless of circumstances, you are not a mistake. You have a gift, you have a purpose for being on this Earth.

This book is special to me since my mother gave it to me when I was struggling a
Karen
I bought this book after reading the recommendations of adding to my advent countdown with my boys. It seemed like a good fit with a great message. After receiving it and reading it, it was in fact a great message, but I don't think I will add it to my countdown next year. It was more focused on Joshua the lamb and how he is different than the actual Christmas season. While yes, at the end because he is different, he is there in the stable when the baby Jesus is born and can help keep him warm. ...more
Lindsey Jones
Beautifully illustrated! Sweet children's book about being different and understanding that God places us right where he wants us, even when we don't understand his grand purpose.
Devon
Nov 30, 2015 Devon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this

What a sweet story! It made me tear up... my 4 yr old thought I was weird. But it's very touching... I recommend!
Teri
Nov 28, 2014 Teri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Teri by: Jenolyn
Really loved this sweet little story about a crippled lamb named Joshua. Might make you a little teary-eyed at the end. A great addition to my children's Christmas book collection.
Bfg1971
Dec 18, 2011 Bfg1971 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I read this book because my sister was reading it to her daughter and she said she couldn't make it through without crying. It is a tale about a crippled lamb and how he doesn't fit in with the flock. The underlying message ends up being that everyone belongs somewhere and just because you don't recognize where you fit in now that eventually, you'll find your spot. It ends up being a Christmas book. Spoiler: (view spoiler) ...more
John
Mar 29, 2014 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simple but clear book about being who you were created to be. I used it on Christmas Eve with the kids at church, 2013.
Ali
Dec 26, 2014 Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
such a wonderful Christmas book!! grew up reading this book and watching the movie every christmas!
Jewel
Sep 03, 2014 Jewel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I saw the most movie that goes with this book, its really good!
I watched it all the time when I was smaller.
Joshua is a little lamb who has block spots and black legs, one of which is crippled, he has always felt left out for not being perfectly white. He can't run and play like the rest of the little lambs. His friend keeps telling him that he doesn't need to feel too sad though, because God has a special place for him.

This was a darling little book that made me feel for this little lamb. I thought the illustrations were lovely as well, I'd recommend this book.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http:/
Anna
Dec 19, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a sweet little Christmas book! One of our family favorites!
Caroline
Jul 31, 2014 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book is so good. I used to read it all the time when I was younger.
Logan
Apr 02, 2015 Logan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i liked that he was rewarded for what people laughed at him for.
  • The Legend of the Candy Cane
  • The Tale of Three Trees
  • Christmas Oranges
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
  • Humphreys First Christmas
  • The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree: An Appalachian Story
  • The Littlest Angel
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • One Wintry Night
Max Lucado has touched millions with his signature storytelling writing style. Awards and accolades follow Max with each book he writes. Max is the first author to win the Gold Medallion Christian Book of the Year three times—1999 for Just Like Jesus, 1997 for In the Grip of Grace and 1995 for When God Whispers Your Name. In 2005, Reader’s Digest dubbed him “America’s Best Preacher.” In addition, ...more
More about Max Lucado...