Start by marking “Altamont Augie” as Want to Read:

SILVER MEDAL/FOREWORD REVIEWS 2011 BOOK OF THE YEAR AWARDS/HISTORICAL FICTION
GOLD MEDAL/2011 eLIT BOOK AWARDS/LITERARY FICTION
SILVER MEDAL/2012 INDEPENDENT PUBLISHER (IPPY) REGIONAL AWARDS/FICTION
FINALIST/2012 USA BEST BOOK AWARDS/HISTORICAL FICTION

A battleground and a rock festival, repositories of a generation's honor and shame...But which resides where?

A passion-filled,
Published June 1st 2011 by Interloper Press (first published May 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Altamont Augie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Altamont Augie

Mary
Jun 11, 2013 Mary rated it it was ok
This is a story about the 1960s, a love triangle among a Marine who serves in Vietnam and later joins the Young Americans for Freedom, a radical SDS leader, and the girl who is torn between the two of them, and is herself a symbol of the radical left. The story is couched in a look back at Altamont, with the narrator recognizing his mother in pictures from the event, and reconstructing her life and romance with the two.

It seems that the author wrote this to highlight what went on in the era, par
Laurie
Jun 15, 2011 Laurie rated it it was amazing
I don’t expect to give first novels a five star rating, but I have to give it to this one. The author has brought the 1960s to life vividly, and has given us a main character that is complex enough to hold our attention even when we don’t agree with him.

I have to admit that when I entered to win this book, I missed that it was in large part about the Viet Nam war. When I received it and saw that was the case, I was dismayed as I don’t like war stories. I was figuring that since it was about the
Angela
Aug 12, 2011 Angela rated it it was amazing
Altamont Augie, by Richard Barager is a story that takes place in the 1960's, during civil unrest and cultural change. A young man falls into the California Aqueduct and drowns during a Rolling Stones concert in 1969, and is then forgotten to time. Another young man, Caleb Levy, three decades later decides to give a name and back-story to the unknown victim. In doing so, the reader is led on a journey through love, politics, and rock and roll, to a tear-jerking ending that is sad, yet poignant.

I
Debbie
Nov 15, 2011 Debbie rated it it was amazing
“What kind of man goes to one of the biggest rock concerts of the sixties, manages to drown in a nearby irrigation canal an hour into the show, and is never identified?”
With that opening sentence, Altamont Augie by Richard Barager grabbed my attention and riveted me for 300 pages.

The 1969 concert held at Altamont Raceway outside San Francisco was meant to be California’s version of Woodstock, but became an infamous debacle after concert security (manned by Hell’s Angels) stabbed a man to death.
Laurie Carlson
“Altamont Augie” a novel by Richard Barager

A lot of people will describe books as must-reads, or “5-Stars”, but honestly, this TRULY is. If you really want to revisit the 1960’s and read such vivid detail, and feel like you are such a part of this story, then this IS ‘the book’ to be on your ‘To Read’ list. I can really see this book being made into an award winning movie.
This author’s talent with writing is unbelievable! The author, Richard Barager hits on every detail of the 1960’s unrest unli
Deborah
Gripping trailer for a gripping novel which would make a really great film. I was swept up in this story that was a flashback into the turbulent 1960's.

The conflicting ideals and opinions of the Vietnam War are central to the theme of "Altamont Augie;" as it was to those of us who struggled to make sense of the War in those times, of the reasons why certain of our friends and loved ones were being "drafted" into the clearly "unpopular," politically challenged War, and certain ones were left unto
Hilary
Jun 29, 2012 Hilary rated it it was amazing
I was incredibly fortunate to receive this book through the Goodreads First-Reads program. First, I wish to say that the first-reads program is a truly amazing thing. Altamont Augie is not something that I would have sought out, nor is a book that I feel I would have ever happened to hear about were it not for first-reads. Another reviewer has said that it is rare to give five stars to a first time author... I was surprised to see so many good reviews.

Well, I shall be joining the chorus of wond
Carla JFCL
May 23, 2011 Carla JFCL rated it really liked it
One of the questions in the Reader's Guide discussion insert included with this book is "Do you think the partisanship of contemporary Red and Blue America is in part a continuation of the political conflict of the Sixties...?" For anyone who, unlike me, is too young to remember the Sixties, this historical novel would be an excellent primer to help answer this question. (And for the record, I think the answer is unquestionably "yes.")

For anyone who, like me, does remember the Sixties, reading t
Kathleen Rodgers
Mar 07, 2012 Kathleen Rodgers rated it it was amazing
CHARACTERS COME ALIVE OFF THE PAGE

What does the brutal battle of Khe Sanh and a violence-riddled rock festival in California in the late sixties have in common? A college student turned Marine named David Noble. The story opens with a young filmmaker researching the infamous rock concert that took place at the Altamont Speedway in 1969. Thirty years have passed, it’s 1999, and Caleb Levy is about to uncover a forgotten piece of history erased by time and circumstance. Caleb’s discovery will plun
Sharon
Apr 22, 2011 Sharon rated it it was amazing
This book was received through FirstReads. Altamont Auguie is an ambitious debut novel by Richard Barager. It takes place in the sixties on the college campus of the University of Minnesota, Vietnam and the San Francisco area. It delves into the opposings sides of the war from the perspective of 3 main characters - David, Kyle and Jackie.

Normally I don't enjoy "war stories" but this book was an exception. It has some war scenes with graphic descriptions, however this is not the majority of the b
Cherry (_forevermint)
Jul 11, 2012 Cherry (_forevermint) rated it it was amazing
This book was...just amazing, I can't even begin to describe how it went from "eh s'okay" to "omg! I can't believe how good it's getting!" I was incredibly surprised, to say the least, at how much I enjoyed reading this story. The beginning was all right but it was just enough to keep me reading to the best part, David's part. He made for quite the interesting character; he had a history (though sad, it shaped him into the brave honorable man he became later in life), fears, secrets, and most ...more
Kristin Pace
Nov 27, 2014 Kristin Pace rated it really liked it
“Sex, drugs and Rock-n-Roll” is the usual description given to the turbulent decade known as the ‘60’s. While this moniker certainly brings to mind the culture found in America at that time, it leaves out three key elements: Vietnam, protests and rioting. Enter Richard Barager’s new book Altamont Augie.

Caleb Levy is doing research for a new movie he hopes to pitch that is aimed at ripping apart the 60’s and everything his absent father held dear. In his research he uncovers a story that will cha
April
Apr 03, 2011 April rated it it was amazing
Barager has written a page-turner that is as much a love story as it is a political novel. His two main characters, David and Jackie, couldn't have been any more different from one another, but they felt a strong affection for one another despite their political and social differences. His introduction of Kyle Levy certainly muddied things up for David, but I remained invested in the story at this point, anxious to see what would become of the trio in the matters of love.

The scenes that Baranger
Leah
May 03, 2011 Leah rated it really liked it
Historical fiction is my favorite genre and I was thrilled to win this book from goodreads. The story of David Noble, an "anonymous" young man of the sixties, is told by Caleb Levy. By doing research into the life and death of David, Caleb not only learns more about the protagonist of his proposed film but also his own parents who grew up in the same time period. Ultimately his research gives him greater insight into himself. It was easy to become submerged in the sixties along with Caleb and ...more
Stacey Donaldson
Jun 17, 2011 Stacey Donaldson rated it really liked it
Altamont Augie is the story of unlikely lovers David Noble and Jackie Lindquist. David joins the Marines and stands by his decision to do so, while Jackie is completely against the war and takes every opportunity to vocalize her opinion.

I was immediately impressed with Richard Barager's style. His writing is very eloquent. I literally read the first page twice, because I thought it was so very well written. He has successfully written a novel that accurately depicts the war, conflict, and love
Terry
Jul 12, 2011 Terry rated it it was amazing
This is the most impressive book I have read in many years. Our popular culture has attempted to distill the 1960s/Vietnam War into Heroic Hippies, victim GIs and the evil government/industrial complex. While there are many true elements in all of those, as a kid growing up in the 1960s, that's not exactly how I recall the decade. This book successfully takes on both the honorable sacrifice of a generation in war, and at the same time gives an honest treatment of the anti-war movement. For any ...more
Marina Schulz
*2.5 stars*

I just didn't think this was very good. The idea of having it set in the present and in the past just slowed down the pace, and gave the story a frame it didn't need.

The execution was poor and I felt like, especially being European, I didn't understand half of the background of the story setting, and, ergo, of what was happening.

"Altamount Augie" had a great premise, but a poor execution, and honestly I just didn't feel much heart was put into it. Passion, yes, it was well researche
Bubi
Dec 29, 2013 Bubi rated it it was amazing
Late 60ies was a time of people questioning many things and trying (what they hoped were) solutions. It did not work, really. This book presents the heated atmosphere of the time and the polarization of opinions. The heroes of that book (a young woman and two young men) choose different paths, and although they choose differently, they are honest in their choices. The book is well written and I could not put it down once I started. Anyone hoping to understand the late 1960ies will find an ...more
Melissa Sargent
Jun 29, 2012 Melissa Sargent rated it really liked it
A unique writer with a talent for historical fiction. It sucked me in and kept me reading! It was very emotional; at times sad, outgraged, and I even found some dark comedic moments. I usually slog through historical fiction at the speed of a dino in a tar pit, but I couldn't put it down! Do I recommed this book? Yeah! *This review was given in exchange for a free copy from the author and Goodreads/Firstreads.*
Lisa Miller Chandler
Aug 24, 2012 Lisa Miller Chandler rated it really liked it
Wow. Richard Barager really turned my head with this telling of 1960's love, hate, war, fight for peace and the vivid, intense emotions on both sides of the American conflicts at home. The feelings of the brave who signed up to fight for their country vs. the opposing Americans at home who were violently (at times) opposed to the war.

I learned more about the actual feelings and tension at home while enjoying a love / hate relationship with an ironic beginning and ending.
Giselle
Jul 12, 2011 Giselle rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Giselle by: goodreads
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through goodreads first-reads! Even if you're not a '60's child, this book will grab your interest and take you to one of the most interesting time periods of the last century. The read encompasses the drugs, the war, the "free love", the music and the politics, and having grown up in that era, it was a time travelling experience. I look forward to the author's next work.
Glenn
3.5 stars. I thought it captured the 60's era well, and I especially enjoyed the Vietnam chapters, which felt real to life, like you were reading a non-fictional account. I also enjoyed hearing some of the musical groups and songs that were mentioned, the 60's and 70's being for me one of the best periods of music in history.
Ellen
Apr 15, 2011 Ellen marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
I won a copy from Goodreads. I will edit this with a review after I've read it. Thank you for the opportunity.
Earlene
Earlene rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2014
Ned T. Kindler
Ned T. Kindler rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Melodee
Melodee rated it really liked it
May 04, 2013
Ted Gurley
Ted Gurley rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Jaime
Jaime rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2011
Susan
Susan rated it it was ok
Oct 29, 2014
Colleen
Colleen rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Richard R. Barager, MD, FACP, is a nephrologist and novelist. He believes the two finest callings in life are doctor and writer, the one ministering to the human condition, the other illuminating it, both capable of transforming it. But fiction explores meaning in a way science cannot. Sometimes only fiction tells the truth.

More about Richard Barager...