Blank-133x176
The President's Daughter

Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

The President's Daughter

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  17 reviews
ETHEL IS 10 YEARS OLD in 1901 when her family's life changed forever. Suddenly, Father is not only a famous cowboy, war hero, and politician, but also President Theodore Roosevelt, leader of the United States--and Ethel has a new place to call home. The White House is older and stuffier than Ethel imagined, but there's never a dull moment with her adventurous family around...more
Published July 1st 2006 by Perfection Learning (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The President's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The President's Daughter

Steven
Elizabeth
This book had a slow beginning, but it quickly picked up and was intriguing and sweet. Bradley tried very hard to be historically accurate, and she accomplished her goal. Ethel is endearing and adventurous. I believe this book is a very engaging and accurate glimpse into Ethel Roosevelt's life as she became "The President's Daughter".
Peggy Crawford
Oct 27, 2007 Peggy Crawford rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 10 - 14 yer olds
This title is on the Sunshine State Readers list for this year. I've never been much of a history buff, but this book could easily inspire young people to go and find out more about Teddy Roosevelt. Many of the incidents are based on the diaries and journals of the family, so there is an added sense of reality. An easy to read and amusing story of the Roosevelt family as they make the transition from being the vice-presidents family to being the First Family. Historically accurate, yet also ring...more
JoDean
I enjoyed this quick little read about the Roosevelt family at the time Theodore assumed the presidency after McKinley's death. It is fictionalized though based on fact. I loved seeing how much of a family man Roosevelt was. He taught his kids to be brave, to face things with their chin up. Apparently one of his sayings was, "Over and under or through, but never around." meaning face whatever it is head on which is exactly what 10yo Ethel, whose perspective is telling the story, does.
Angie
I'm supposed to be reading it, anyway. And writing questions for Battle of the Books. It's OK so far. But there's other stuff I'd rather do.

Actually that's kind of wrong. I'd rather read about vampires or murder mysteries than read a fictionalized account of a former president's daughter.

Finally finished. It was pretty good ... just not my "thing."
Linda
Although fiction, this book is based on fact, and is about the vivacious daughter of President Theodore Roosevelt. Targeted at young people, it's a page out of history and reading it made me feel that I could see what living in the White House was like in the early 1900s. It also sent me to google to learn what became of her brothers.
Melanie
This book is a little hard to start as you learn who the characters are, but at the end it is a captiavating picture of a girl dealing with a very unique situation - becoming the daughter of the president. I really enjoyed this portrayal of Ethel Roosevelt.
Mandy Morrow
The President's Daughter isa fascinating book set back when Theodore Rosevelt took office. The narrator is Theodore's own daughter, Ethel. Mixed with fact and fiction, if you are interested in historyyou will be reading every chance you get. I know I was!
Mandy
We read this as a class and I finished up on my own. While it was based pretty closely on history, I found it tedious and a little tough to get through. I don't think I actually got much out of it...
Chrissy
Mar 23, 2008 Chrissy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teachers, 3-5th graders
Shelves: kids-books
I read this book before reading it to my students. I loved the story and the perspective, but I wasn't crazy about the ending. The kids seemed to enjoy it for the most part. Especially the girls.
Amy
Solid but not spectacular. From POV of Ethel Roosevelt. Prob more interesting to me than others because of my affinity for TR
Kate Hastings
Apr 20, 2012 Kate Hastings marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: patriotic
What would it be like to live in the White House and your Dad was the president-- the story of Ethel Roosevelt.
Cheryl
Reading with my nine-year old daughter. Fantastic look inside an early American presidency.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
An interesting view of what went on in the White House with the family of Theodore Roosevelt.
Aimee
a great story with historical fiction.
Partridge Public
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 02, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Cherri Eitel
Cherri Eitel marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I was born and raised in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in 1967, very near the small town that was the setting for my first book, Ruthie's Gift. I attended Smith College, in Northampton, Massachusetts, and graduated with a degree in chemistry just a few weeks before I married my high school sweetheart--Bart Bradley.

I studied chemistry in college because that was what I most loved to learn, but it's not what...more
More about Kimberly Brubaker Bradley...
Jefferson's Sons The Lacemaker and the Princess For Freedom: The Story of a French Spy Leap of Faith Halfway to the Sky