Start by marking “Apocalipstick” as Want to Read:
Apocalipstick

Apocalipstick

3.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,254 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
From the author who brought you Spin Cycle and Neurotica comes a hilarious new novel about falling in love, hating your job, and getting what you want out of life---without ever mussing your lipstick!

When it comes to men, beauty columnist Rebecca Fine always seems to be on the scruffy end of the mascara wand. But all that changes the morning she meets Max Stoddart, her new
Published January 1st 2003 by Delta

To ask other readers questions about Apocalipstick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apocalipstick

christa
Mar 28, 2007 christa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doneanddone
a reminder of why i don't read books where the title is scrawled in lipstick. even if the book is free.
Velma
Jan 23, 2009 Velma rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those with nothing else to read
Recommended to Velma by: Brenda
Read on my annual summer backpacking trip, when I'd exhausted what I'd packed in for the week's reading, and with no other options to hand. I borrowed it from one of my traveling companions, of whom the fact that she is a lover of bad chick-lit is the only negative thing I have to say. It served its purpose: something to read while ensconced in a hammock at 3,500 feet above sea level in the wilderness of Northern California. I really tried to savor it and make it last, so it took me almost an en ...more
Charlotte
Rebecca is an up-and-coming journalist with a dad who’s about to marry one of Rebecca’s old school-mates, a grandma is dead-set on marrying Rebecca off to a nice Jewish fellow, and a best friend who is having problems with her husband in the bedroom. Meanwhile, Rebecca is falling in love with the new guy at the office and trying to nail a big investigative story that could earn her the promotion she is dying for. It’s all a bit far-fetched, but that’s what makes this such an enjoyable story.
Stephanie
Mar 10, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sue Margolis hasn't really disappointed me yet. I absolutely love her writing style, and after reading Spin Cycle & Breakfast at Stephanie's, I had to seek out some more novels from this entertaining author. APOCALIPSTICK was just as fun and witty.

When beauty columnist Rebecca Fine meets her extremely handsome new coworker, Max Stoddart, she is almost certain that he is the playboy-heartbreaker type. Nevertheless she gives him a chance and finds that he is well worth it. But, he has a major
Michelle
Aug 10, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
I've always had a soft spot for books where the characters are English ever since I read the Shopaholic series. Hearing them use words like "pram" and "loo" always helped me to hear the characters accents in my mind. Unfortunately though, there were times in this book where I got a little lost in all of their "English-speak" haha.

The book was a cute, quick, read. It definitely had all the makings of a typical love story - with a few twists thrown in to make it a little different. The story revol
Julie Marks
Dec 17, 2013 Julie Marks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rebecca Fine thinks she might finally be on her way to becoming the investigative reporter she dreams of when she gets an insider scoop that prominent Parisian cosmetics firm Mer de Reves' new anti-aging cream isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Life is starting to look good for the thirty two year old who has been filling in writing the beauty column for London's Daily Vanguard Saturday magazine for a friend on maternity leave. On the romance front, Rebecca wonders a few days after meeting th ...more
Jessica
Sep 11, 2007 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: chicklit, adults
British Chick Lit-Sue Margolis tells a funny story mixed with caddiness and embarrassing situations. Definitely for a mature audience as she can also get graphic with sex scenes.

Thirty-two-year-old Rebecca Fine wants a few changes in her life. Tired of her mindless beauty column in a weekly London magazine, she hopes to break into investigative reporting; but when her boss asks her to relinquish her work area for a desk in the corner to make way for the new golden-boy reporter, Max Stoddart, Reb
Aida
Oct 17, 2015 Aida rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought, I might not like the book. It's chick-lit, nothing serious and I even had my 'culture barrier' moment in the beginning thinking I might put the book on pre-loved list. However, the story gets funnier, racier and some parts are kind of out-of-this-world situation or too good to be true- like 'meeting the Prime Minister' part, oh well. Anyway, I have to admit that some of the fictitious parts really make the story hilarious though, as I said earlier- it's too good to be true. But hey! A ...more
Shanon
Apr 29, 2014 Shanon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sue Margolis, while an entertaining author, often seems to forget she has a crisis to attend to. This book, like Gucci Gucci Coo, seemed as if she suddenly reads the back covers of her novels and thinks "Oh, I have a problem to introduce, agonize over, and solve! But I've already written 85% of my book... Oh well, the readers won't notice that this crisis came out of very little prep." We do. Interesting, funny, just no real plot point.
Sarah Sammis
After a bunch of serious reading, I'm giving my poor brain a break and reading something completely stupid: Apocalipstick. The characters remind me of some of the folks from the series Ab-Fab. The protagonist isn't a stand-in for either Edina or Patsy but the people she works for do remind me of a hybrid of Edina and Patsy.

Apocalipstick isn't a book I would have picked by myself to read but it was recommended to me by a man who goes to the BookCrossing meetings on a regular basis. Ian has also r
Dec 31, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I was going through my Kindle and remembered that I read this...Well actually it was kind of forgettable, so it took me a minute to remember if I actually read it or just downloaded it. It was your typical chick-lit book, single career girl finds prince charming, but he kinda seems like a toad so it takes a while before they decide they can't live without each other. Oh and I think there was some ridiculous side story about face cream in there. Fast fun read but ultimately hard to distinguish fr ...more
Cheryl
I read this for terrible book club a couple of years ago and seem to have blocked it completely from my memory because even the synopsis doesn't sound familiar.
Melissa
Sep 09, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very funny in parts, but too much going on and the weird wrinkle cream plot line was just not interesting.
Renee Cummings
Jan 18, 2016 Renee Cummings rated it really liked it
Betsyvsews
Great lightweight read, well-written, funny, interesting twists. I enjoyed it in spite of the sudden too-neatly-tied-up ending.
Sherrie
Jul 30, 2015 Sherrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a great story. Gets rushed at the end.
yyyasmin
Nov 03, 2012 yyyasmin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, stand-alone
Not an intelectually challenging book at all but it was a laugh out loud at some moments. Unfortunately the plot went downhill after the 2nd half of the book. The whole Veritaserum-like antiwrinkle cream just screams unrealistic to me and I feel like the author is trying to cram it down in just a matter of pages. Also the revelation about M comes too late...at the last chapter, no less -_- Still, if you want to give this book a go, don't approach it with high expectations
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
cute story. a few of the plot twists were pretty obvious but i enjoyed it all the same.
Rachel Tierney
Dec 31, 2015 Rachel Tierney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this book will not win any awards or go down as a classic bit of writing, it is one of my favourite books. 15 or so years after first reading it, it still has the ability to make me laugh out loud. I didn't get on with any of Sue's other books but this is one of my faves. Easy reading, loveable characters, and a funny yet maybe slightly predictable towards the end plot line.
Amy
Nov 16, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So by now you should know I like chick-lit. This is a new author that I picked up on the clearance table. This book was good and I'll probably look at some of her other books. I don't know why, but I just love the hilarious, but unlikely scenarios that these characters go through. I would compare Margolis to Kinsella although I still like Sophie better.
Angela
Jan 08, 2011 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an easy read that I picked up in the airport back in 2003. That's happened to me lots, when I haven't had time to pick out a book to bring with me. You know, a lot of airports have this awesome Read It & Return It swap program, where you can swap a book or get 50% of your money back when done reading the book.
Bette
Feb 21, 2011 Bette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked Margolis's latest book, "A Perfect Blend." It was a fun read. This one was also fun, but it was pretty similar to her most recent one in many ways. (I suspect all of her books are similar.) This one was less engaging than "Perfect Blend." I found the characters less credible.
Lauren
May 22, 2013 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I happened to stumble upon this book at the library having never heard of it before. It was a really great book and I had a hard time putting it down. I had a difficult time understanding some of the terms as it was based in another country; outside of that, terrific!
Heather
Oct 12, 2009 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, humorous, 2009
A quick, easy read, it was okay. Everything just flows along, and the characters were a little too one-dimensional, all nice and perfect. In the end everything just sort of magically works out and everyone gets what they want with no real effort.
Sara
Apr 12, 2008 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This month, the theme is chick lit. So...I started with this title. It was funny in the way Bridget Jones was funny. However, it was wildly farfetched. Funny, quick read. The ending was just a little to predictable for my taste.
Shauna
Mar 29, 2008 Shauna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Oy- if you want to laugh out loud on the train- this is for you! And again, I am NOT easily impressed and so I do not laugh at any old crap! Cosmo recommended this book and for once they came through!
Sue Kozlowski
Chick-lit. Really good. British writer (aren't all chick-lit authors British???) Rebecca works for a newspaper. She's trying to find a boyfriend. Investigates wrinkle cream.
Kitchie
May 21, 2012 Kitchie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story line was okay. It wasn't the most clever, and it was far from page-turning. I got some laughs out of it, but I guess Brit Humor really isn't my thing.
Pam
Aug 10, 2010 Pam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The premise is clever: the unplanned side effect of a new secret lipstick formula is that the wearer cannot lie. Setting is British, which don't grab me.
Hope
Aug 20, 2013 Hope rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I stopped reading at the point where the main character says that she hopes her date doesn't cook for her as it's only manly to cook things like steak. Urghhh
  • The Dominant Blonde
  • Pushing 30
  • Who You Know
  • Loose Screws
  • Kissing Frogs in Cyberspace
Sue Margolis is the author of nine books, which have more than half a million copies in print from Bantam Dell. She lives in England, where she's at work on her next novel.

Sue worked as a reporter for the BBC, before leaving broadcasting to write her first novel. She lives in London with her journalist husband Jonathan. They have three grown up children. Sue’s hobbies include napping, constantly i
More about Sue Margolis...

“He didn't answer. Instead he cupped her face in his hands and drew her towards him. Then he kissed her lightly on the lips. Oh god, she wanted his head between her legs and she wanted it now.” 3 likes