Start by marking “Apocalipstick” as Want to Read:
Apocalipstick

Apocalipstick

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  1,050 ratings  ·  56 reviews
From the author who brought you Spin Cycle and Neurotica comes a hilarious new novel about falling in love, hating your job, and getting what you want out of life---without ever mussing your lipstick!

When it comes to men, beauty columnist Rebecca Fine always seems to be on the scruffy end of the mascara wand. But all that changes the morning she meets Max Stoddart, her new
Published (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Apocalipstick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apocalipstick

christa
a reminder of why i don't read books where the title is scrawled in lipstick. even if the book is free.
Velma
Jan 23, 2009 Velma rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those with nothing else to read
Recommended to Velma by: Brenda
Read on my annual summer backpacking trip, when I'd exhausted what I'd packed in for the week's reading, and with no other options to hand. I borrowed it from one of my traveling companions, of whom the fact that she is a lover of bad chick-lit is the only negative thing I have to say. It served its purpose: something to read while ensconced in a hammock at 3,500 feet above sea level in the wilderness of Northern California. I really tried to savor it and make it last, so it took me almost an en ...more
Charlotte Erickson
Rebecca is an up-and-coming journalist with a dad who’s about to marry one of Rebecca’s old school-mates, a grandma is dead-set on marrying Rebecca off to a nice Jewish fellow, and a best friend who is having problems with her husband in the bedroom. Meanwhile, Rebecca is falling in love with the new guy at the office and trying to nail a big investigative story that could earn her the promotion she is dying for. It’s all a bit far-fetched, but that’s what makes this such an enjoyable story.
Stephanie
Sue Margolis hasn't really disappointed me yet. I absolutely love her writing style, and after reading Spin Cycle & Breakfast at Stephanie's, I had to seek out some more novels from this entertaining author. APOCALIPSTICK was just as fun and witty.

When beauty columnist Rebecca Fine meets her extremely handsome new coworker, Max Stoddart, she is almost certain that he is the playboy-heartbreaker type. Nevertheless she gives him a chance and finds that he is well worth it. But, he has a major
Michelle
I've always had a soft spot for books where the characters are English ever since I read the Shopaholic series. Hearing them use words like "pram" and "loo" always helped me to hear the characters accents in my mind. Unfortunately though, there were times in this book where I got a little lost in all of their "English-speak" haha.

The book was a cute, quick, read. It definitely had all the makings of a typical love story - with a few twists thrown in to make it a little different. The story revol
Julie Marks
Rebecca Fine thinks she might finally be on her way to becoming the investigative reporter she dreams of when she gets an insider scoop that prominent Parisian cosmetics firm Mer de Reves' new anti-aging cream isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Life is starting to look good for the thirty two year old who has been filling in writing the beauty column for London's Daily Vanguard Saturday magazine for a friend on maternity leave. On the romance front, Rebecca wonders a few days after meeting th ...more
Jessica
British Chick Lit-Sue Margolis tells a funny story mixed with caddiness and embarrassing situations. Definitely for a mature audience as she can also get graphic with sex scenes.

Thirty-two-year-old Rebecca Fine wants a few changes in her life. Tired of her mindless beauty column in a weekly London magazine, she hopes to break into investigative reporting; but when her boss asks her to relinquish her work area for a desk in the corner to make way for the new golden-boy reporter, Max Stoddart, Reb
Shanon
Sue Margolis, while an entertaining author, often seems to forget she has a crisis to attend to. This book, like Gucci Gucci Coo, seemed as if she suddenly reads the back covers of her novels and thinks "Oh, I have a problem to introduce, agonize over, and solve! But I've already written 85% of my book... Oh well, the readers won't notice that this crisis came out of very little prep." We do. Interesting, funny, just no real plot point.
Sarah Sammis
After a bunch of serious reading, I'm giving my poor brain a break and reading something completely stupid: Apocalipstick. The characters remind me of some of the folks from the series Ab-Fab. The protagonist isn't a stand-in for either Edina or Patsy but the people she works for do remind me of a hybrid of Edina and Patsy.

Apocalipstick isn't a book I would have picked by myself to read but it was recommended to me by a man who goes to the BookCrossing meetings on a regular basis. Ian has also r
I was going through my Kindle and remembered that I read this...Well actually it was kind of forgettable, so it took me a minute to remember if I actually read it or just downloaded it. It was your typical chick-lit book, single career girl finds prince charming, but he kinda seems like a toad so it takes a while before they decide they can't live without each other. Oh and I think there was some ridiculous side story about face cream in there. Fast fun read but ultimately hard to distinguish fr ...more
Cheryl
I read this for terrible book club a couple of years ago and seem to have blocked it completely from my memory because even the synopsis doesn't sound familiar.
Melissa
Very funny in parts, but too much going on and the weird wrinkle cream plot line was just not interesting.
yyyasmin
Not an intelectually challenging book at all but it was a laugh out loud at some moments. Unfortunately the plot went downhill after the 2nd half of the book. The whole Veritaserum-like antiwrinkle cream just screams unrealistic to me and I feel like the author is trying to cram it down in just a matter of pages. Also the revelation about M comes too late...at the last chapter, no less -_- Still, if you want to give this book a go, don't approach it with high expectations
Meaghan
cute story. a few of the plot twists were pretty obvious but i enjoyed it all the same.
Amy
So by now you should know I like chick-lit. This is a new author that I picked up on the clearance table. This book was good and I'll probably look at some of her other books. I don't know why, but I just love the hilarious, but unlikely scenarios that these characters go through. I would compare Margolis to Kinsella although I still like Sophie better.
Angela
This was an easy read that I picked up in the airport back in 2003. That's happened to me lots, when I haven't had time to pick out a book to bring with me. You know, a lot of airports have this awesome Read It & Return It swap program, where you can swap a book or get 50% of your money back when done reading the book.
Bette
I liked Margolis's latest book, "A Perfect Blend." It was a fun read. This one was also fun, but it was pretty similar to her most recent one in many ways. (I suspect all of her books are similar.) This one was less engaging than "Perfect Blend." I found the characters less credible.
Lauren
I happened to stumble upon this book at the library having never heard of it before. It was a really great book and I had a hard time putting it down. I had a difficult time understanding some of the terms as it was based in another country; outside of that, terrific!
Heather
A quick, easy read, it was okay. Everything just flows along, and the characters were a little too one-dimensional, all nice and perfect. In the end everything just sort of magically works out and everyone gets what they want with no real effort.
Sara
This month, the theme is chick lit. So...I started with this title. It was funny in the way Bridget Jones was funny. However, it was wildly farfetched. Funny, quick read. The ending was just a little to predictable for my taste.
Shauna
Oy- if you want to laugh out loud on the train- this is for you! And again, I am NOT easily impressed and so I do not laugh at any old crap! Cosmo recommended this book and for once they came through!
Sue
Chick-lit. Really good. British writer (aren't all chick-lit authors British???) Rebecca works for a newspaper. She's trying to find a boyfriend. Investigates wrinkle cream.
Kitchie
The story line was okay. It wasn't the most clever, and it was far from page-turning. I got some laughs out of it, but I guess Brit Humor really isn't my thing.
Pam
The premise is clever: the unplanned side effect of a new secret lipstick formula is that the wearer cannot lie. Setting is British, which don't grab me.
Hope
I stopped reading at the point where the main character says that she hopes her date doesn't cook for her as it's only manly to cook things like steak. Urghhh
Amy
This was about a woman who is funny and her dad is marrying a bully from her old high school, it is set in England I think, she is a journalist
Lisa
First time of reading this author but thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to reading many more. A good, fun, heartwarming read.
GoldenjoyBazyll
This is one of those silly books that I started reading forever ago but never quite drew me back in. I decided to give it another try,
Laura Leigh
A fluff book that takes no effort to read. It wasn't bad but it was what you would expect from a book with a picture of lipstick on it.
Peggy
I would h ave given it a 4.5 if I didn't have to skip so much of the sex stuff. She has a hilarious sense of humor.
  • The Dominant Blonde
  • Mine Are Spectacular!
  • Pushing 30
  • Filthy Rich
  • The Red Hat Club Rides Again
  • Mean Season (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • What A Girl Wants
Sue Margolis is the author of nine books, which have more than half a million copies in print from Bantam Dell. She lives in England, where she's at work on her next novel.

Sue worked as a reporter for the BBC, before leaving broadcasting to write her first novel. She lives in London with her journalist husband Jonathan. They have three grown up children. Sue’s hobbies include napping, constantly i
More about Sue Margolis...
Gucci Gucci Coo Spin Cycle Forget Me Knot Neurotica Breakfast at Stephanie's

“He didn't answer. Instead he cupped her face in his hands and drew her towards him. Then he kissed her lightly on the lips. Oh god, she wanted his head between her legs and she wanted it now.” 3 likes