Start by marking “Greygallows” as Want to Read:
Greygallows

Greygallows

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  1,005 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Lucy Cartwright accepted the hand of dashing Baron Clare, despite whisperings of his mysterious past. Trusting his dark eyes and gentle manner, she followed him to Greygallows, his magnificent estate - and stepped into a web of betrayal and danger. For terror reigns its shadowed hallways. A ghostly legend stalks its grounds. And now it's too late to leave...
Paperback
Published April 1st 1993 by Berkley (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Greygallows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greygallows

Shelly
Barbara Michaels delivers everything you could want in a Gothic mystery - a young, innocent heroine; a creepy estate, remote from all civilization; ghost stories and ghostly appearances; a nefarious murder plot; several folks who are not what they seem; and a dashing hero who comes to the rescue (even if he winds up needing a lot of help from friends to pull it off). This was a classic example of the Gothic formula, excellently executed. I knew to look for those deceitful people and yet, even th ...more
Missy
Sep 08, 2007 Missy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery, historical romance fans
Shelves: romance
I found this book in the coolest little tea shop in Ruidoso NM. If you're ever in Ruidoso, check out Atticus. It's AWESOME! Anyway, it looked good...I was expecting something a little bit more supernatural and romantic, but it was a fun, satisfying read. The heroine grows up, finds her power, etc... That was cool. It was a little vauge and hard to understand--I had a hard time figuring out where the author was going with the story at times--but it's all explained in the end.
S.A.
This is a classic Gothic tale with a damsel in distress, a wicked husband, and the lovelorn suitor trying to assist said damsel.

Guess what? It was written back in 1973 and repackaged. About half way through the book I kept thinking, "I think I read this before!" Bet I did when I was 13!

Still, a quick, light read. After slogging through the wretched Prince of Nothing series, I needed a mental breath mint.
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
Barbara Michaels will you please come back to writing gothics :) This was a wonderful read. Creepy setting with a big old mansion, reclusive brooding husband who never visits her bed, classic ghost mystery with the white lady only seen by females, and even some nice political refrences to the realities of being poor and having to work in a coal mine.

Lisa Greer
This was a one day novel. :) And no, I didn't read all day. hehehe. The plot is intriguing, and I like the focus and information on the conditions of England in the 19th century. Sewers, garbage, and filth: not what you read about in Jane Austen's works of the time. Some things never change with regard to lords and peasants ;).
Katherine
Spooky english manor and a story filled with deceit and mystery-lots of fun!
Mary Infantina
Nice read.Very entertaining.The book was witty.There was triumph after struggle.Was shocked to know that the ghost was a real women-didn't believe it at first.Then even shocked, the women(king's mistress) and her brother had similar resemblance which helped them plot against an innocent women unknowingly, wore the white gown to scare her -she is a queen of course for the dowry money(marries a debt king as she was unaware and under compulsion) she at the end joins hands with her true lover after ...more
Cardigan Rippers
Lin S.
Not very scary and did not enjoy the cast of characters very much.
Lizzi Crystal
One of the best Gothic novels I've read. One star is taken away for the truly boring romance - otherwise, every element of this book deserves five stars, and the romance is not central to the story. The writing is so simple yet marvelous, this will be one I refer back to for writing tips.
Kasey
I thought that this book had a very boring beginning but the ending was amazing! I am so glad that I stuck through the whole book! Give it a chance even if you want to put it down! I would recommend it to anyone who likes supernatural mixed in with history.

Jay
Barbara Michaels is another pseudonym for Barbara Mertz (who also writes as Elizabeth Peters). I think I've read all of this persona's books - around 25 of them or so - and Greygallows is one of the best - combining a gothic flavor to a period "Jane Eyre" like novel.
Kasey
Eliza Baum
This was well-written and certainly didn't bore me, but it wasn't one of my favorites of hers. While the ending came to a satisfying conclusion, I didn't care for the overall storyline. 2.5 stars, rounded up for my general love of the author.
Hafiza
I love Gothics with the heroine as Governess trope.
Ths was not that great.
Megan was a ninny
Jane did not get a HEA
Read Holt's Mistress of Mellyn for a better Governess in peril Romantic Gothic
Debbie
Fiction: 1800's Mystery
Not a lot of romance in this book, more ghosts, curses, forced marriage. Kind of depressing, but it held my interest. Nothing really unexpected.
Sharon
I'd forgotten how much fun a Barbara Michaels book can be. This one has a hint of the paranormal but not overdone. I enjoyed it.
Tara
I thought this book was a little boring in the beginning but got better toward the end. Only took a couple of days to read.
Julie
An easy, unchallenging read. I keep reviewing these as "not her best" but I'm starting to wonder if my tastes have changed.
Michaelle
loved this historical novel - it was nice to be transported back in time if just for a little while.
Debbie
kind of predictable. Didnt like the protagonists all that much. Not my favorite of her workl
Joanie
I know I read this but I remember almost nothing about it. Couldn't have been that great I guess!
Lisa
I thought this was going to be more of a ghost story. However it was a good read.
Mar 12, 2009 Sarah marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I made the mistake of skipping to the end to peek, and decided I didn't want to finish...
Runningrabbit
Not too bad; characters could have been a bit more believable, though.
Lori
Newer gothic suspense, it was good, i read it in a day or two.
Megan
Very, very good. Did not see the twist in the plot before hand!
Esther_a
Mediocre Gothic suspense. Yawn.
Allie
Gothic, but unsatisfying.
  • The Love Talker
  • The King of the Castle
  • My Brother Michael
  • Black Amber
  • The Dark Shore
Barbara Michaels is a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also writes as Elizabeth Peters, as well as under her own name.

She was born in Canton, Illinois and has written over fifty books including some in Egyptology. Dr. Mertz also holds a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in Egyptology.
More about Barbara Michaels...
Stitches in Time (Georgetown, #3) Ammie, Come Home (Georgetown, #1) The Dancing Floor Smoke and Mirrors Vanish with the Rose