Start by marking “Greygallows” as Want to Read:
Greygallows

Greygallows

3.58  ·  Rating Details ·  1,202 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Lucy Cartwright accepted the hand of dashing Baron Clare, despite whisperings of his mysterious past. Trusting his dark eyes and gentle manner, she followed him to Greygallows, his magnificent estate - and stepped into a web of betrayal and danger. For terror reigns its shadowed hallways. A ghostly legend stalks its grounds. And now it's too late to leave...
Paperback
Published April 1st 1993 by Berkley (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Greygallows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greygallows

Shelly
Dec 27, 2013 Shelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barbara Michaels delivers everything you could want in a Gothic mystery - a young, innocent heroine; a creepy estate, remote from all civilization; ghost stories and ghostly appearances; a nefarious murder plot; several folks who are not what they seem; and a dashing hero who comes to the rescue (even if he winds up needing a lot of help from friends to pull it off). This was a classic example of the Gothic formula, excellently executed. I knew to look for those deceitful people and yet, even th ...more
Arismeire
Jun 30, 2016 Arismeire rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Este é o tipo mais clássico de romance gótico que se pode ter em mãos: a mocinha é, em todas as definições, uma dama em perigo. Temos, além dela, um marido maldoso e o mocinho apaixonado, que está sempre lá para salvar a mocinha.
Lucy Cartwright, nascida em 1826, ao contar sua história tem 17 anos, órfã e rica. Logo nas primeiras páginas ela é retirada do internato por sua tia, com quem não possuía nenhuma intimidade ou afinidade.
A mocinha é apresentada a sociedade em busca de um marido, mas se
Missy
Sep 08, 2007 Missy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery, historical romance fans
Shelves: romance
I found this book in the coolest little tea shop in Ruidoso NM. If you're ever in Ruidoso, check out Atticus. It's AWESOME! Anyway, it looked good...I was expecting something a little bit more supernatural and romantic, but it was a fun, satisfying read. The heroine grows up, finds her power, etc... That was cool. It was a little vauge and hard to understand--I had a hard time figuring out where the author was going with the story at times--but it's all explained in the end.
Michael
Feb 04, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(3.5 rounded up to 4 stars.)

Though this novel was a little slow to start, I found myself enjoying it, once it picked up speed. For connoisseurs of the genre, Greygallowsis a decently engaging read-- anexcellent "light" Gothic mystery-thriller. That's not to say that it's flawless-- nor a favorite-- but it serves its purpose (providing mental escape from the real, modern world) to satisfaction.

Specifics:
-- I know that some readers love this sort of thing, but I don't particularly enjoy a focus on
S.A.
May 03, 2012 S.A. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a classic Gothic tale with a damsel in distress, a wicked husband, and the lovelorn suitor trying to assist said damsel.

Guess what? It was written back in 1973 and repackaged. About half way through the book I kept thinking, "I think I read this before!" Bet I did when I was 13!

Still, a quick, light read. After slogging through the wretched Prince of Nothing series, I needed a mental breath mint.
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
Dec 10, 2012 Elizabeth Nesbit-comer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Barbara Michaels will you please come back to writing gothics :) This was a wonderful read. Creepy setting with a big old mansion, reclusive brooding husband who never visits her bed, classic ghost mystery with the white lady only seen by females, and even some nice political refrences to the realities of being poor and having to work in a coal mine.

Lisa Greer
Mar 11, 2008 Lisa Greer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic-mystery
This was a one day novel. :) And no, I didn't read all day. hehehe. The plot is intriguing, and I like the focus and information on the conditions of England in the 19th century. Sewers, garbage, and filth: not what you read about in Jane Austen's works of the time. Some things never change with regard to lords and peasants ;).
Katherine
Sep 12, 2012 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spooky english manor and a story filled with deceit and mystery-lots of fun!
Infantina
Oct 13, 2014 Infantina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cardigan Rippers
Star
Jun 07, 2015 Star rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Blah Blah Blah same old blather of novelist.
Lin S.
Jan 09, 2015 Lin S. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not very scary and did not enjoy the cast of characters very much.
Reading with Cats
Feb 11, 2015 Reading with Cats rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, gothic
Sep 06, 2015 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Lucy was such a Mary Sue, and she wasn't even a likable Mary Sue, so that took away from my enjoyment of this book. I did think there were a lot of interesting nods to Jane Eyre - there were clear references, but they were twisted in unique ways. Overall this was a mediocre gothic romance that is worth reading if you love the genre, but it isn't anything special.
Lizzi Crystal
Aug 21, 2012 Lizzi Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best Gothic novels I've read. One star is taken away for the truly boring romance - otherwise, every element of this book deserves five stars, and the romance is not central to the story. The writing is so simple yet marvelous, this will be one I refer back to for writing tips.
Kasey
Jul 25, 2011 Kasey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book had a very boring beginning but the ending was amazing! I am so glad that I stuck through the whole book! Give it a chance even if you want to put it down! I would recommend it to anyone who likes supernatural mixed in with history.

Jay
Oct 16, 2007 Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, romance, gothic
Barbara Michaels is another pseudonym for Barbara Mertz (who also writes as Elizabeth Peters). I think I've read all of this persona's books - around 25 of them or so - and Greygallows is one of the best - combining a gothic flavor to a period "Jane Eyre" like novel.
Kasey
Mar 25, 2010 Kasey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eliza Baum
This was well-written and certainly didn't bore me, but it wasn't one of my favorites of hers. While the ending came to a satisfying conclusion, I didn't care for the overall storyline. 2.5 stars, rounded up for my general love of the author.
Hafiza
Dec 24, 2011 Hafiza rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love Gothics with the heroine as Governess trope.
Ths was not that great.
Megan was a ninny
Jane did not get a HEA
Read Holt's Mistress of Mellyn for a better Governess in peril Romantic Gothic
Debbie
Feb 13, 2012 Debbie rated it liked it
Fiction: 1800's Mystery
Not a lot of romance in this book, more ghosts, curses, forced marriage. Kind of depressing, but it held my interest. Nothing really unexpected.
Sharon
Nov 14, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd forgotten how much fun a Barbara Michaels book can be. This one has a hint of the paranormal but not overdone. I enjoyed it.
Tara
I thought this book was a little boring in the beginning but got better toward the end. Only took a couple of days to read.
Julie
An easy, unchallenging read. I keep reviewing these as "not her best" but I'm starting to wonder if my tastes have changed.
Michaelle
Aug 16, 2012 Michaelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved this historical novel - it was nice to be transported back in time if just for a little while.
Debbie
Nov 21, 2009 Debbie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
kind of predictable. Didnt like the protagonists all that much. Not my favorite of her workl
Joanie
May 20, 2009 Joanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know I read this but I remember almost nothing about it. Couldn't have been that great I guess!
Lisa
Feb 16, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I thought this was going to be more of a ghost story. However it was a good read.
Mar 12, 2009 Sarah marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I made the mistake of skipping to the end to peek, and decided I didn't want to finish...
Runningrabbit
Aug 28, 2011 Runningrabbit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Not too bad; characters could have been a bit more believable, though.
  • Devil May Care
  • Moura
  • The Dark Shore
  • Black Amber
  • The Spring of the Tiger
Barbara Michaels was a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also wrote as Elizabeth Peters, as well as under her own name.

She was born in Canton, Illinois and has written over fifty books including some in Egyptology. Dr. Mertz also holds a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in Egyptology.
More about Barbara Michaels...