Start by marking “Eloquent Ruby” as Want to Read:
Eloquent Ruby

Eloquent Ruby (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)

It's easy to write correct Ruby code, but to gain the fluency needed to write "great "Ruby code, you must go beyond syntax and absorb the "Ruby way" of thinking and problem solving. In "Eloquent Ruby, "Russ Olsen helps you write Ruby like true Rubyists do-so you can leverage its immense, surprising power. Olsen draws on years of experience internalizing the Ruby culture an ...more
Published February 7th 2011 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published January 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Eloquent Ruby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eloquent Ruby

Augusto
Sep 10, 2011 Augusto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eloquent Ruby takes a ride through 30 topics about Ruby, from how the Ruby community idents code to Metaprogramming and how to publish a Gem to RubyGems.

I really liked the flow of the book, it's not dense at all and it's full of examples. This is the type of books that I like to read: 300-400 pages, easy to start and easy to finish :).

I think it's a great book for someone who has done some ruby before, but who doesn't feel comfortable with the language yet.
I think it might be an excellent compa
Joel Oliveira
Aug 15, 2011 Joel Oliveira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this - the first programming book I've ever read from start to finish. Russ Olsen does an amazing job making the subject interesting and digestible. As I got through the Metaprogramming chapters I really started feeling like I was *getting* it ... like I was leveling up my skills.

Can't wait to put some of these new concepts and tricks into practice.
Oana Sipos
Jan 18, 2014 Oana Sipos is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
121. "First, each method should do a single thing—focus on solving a single aspect of the problem. By concentrating on one thing, your methods are not only easier to write, they are also easier to understand.

Second, each method needs to operate at a single conceptual level: Simply put, don’t mix high-level logic with the nitty-gritty details. A method that implements the business logic around, say, currency conversions, should not suddenly veer off into the details of how the various accounts ar
Michael
Mar 31, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming, ruby
This book is a true gem! Mostly written for people coming to Ruby from other programming languages, Russ Olsen doesn't dwell on banalities, but instead teaches you good, idiomatic Ruby. The presented material is excellent and the writing is witty and clever. If you are new to programming this is probably not the best book for you, but if you have experience in some other language or "just" want to get more fluent in Ruby, "Eloquent Ruby" is hard to beat.
Stefan Teixeira
Apr 22, 2016 Stefan Teixeira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book about the Ruby language. It covers almost everything about the language in a very concise way. It is great both for beginners and for people who already have experience with Ruby.
Michael
Apr 02, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is divided into four parts labeled:

1) The Basics
2) Classes, Modules, and Blocks
3) Metaprogramming
4) Pulling It All Together

Rating them individually I'd give five stars to the first two, three stars to the third & two in the fourth for an overall average, rounded up, of four.

I felt like the first two sections provided an incredible foundation to the syntax of the language. Highly recommended. These sections alone justify the purchase of the book.

The material presented in the metap
Harri Kauhanen
Oct 13, 2011 Harri Kauhanen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ruby
The best Ruby book I've read so far. Probably suits best for "intermediate" Ruby developers wanting to learn bits about implementing DSLs, metaprogramming, enumerators and just plain old object oriented Ruby. Chapter about regular expressions explained the stuff better than many regexp books do. Very, well, written.
Adjaho Destiny
It is a nice book
Case
Aug 02, 2014 Case rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This book was perfect for me. It is expected that you have programming knowledge and get the general ideas of how to write good code, but need to know how to do it well in Ruby.

I love the layout of each chapter, in that I feel it generally covers well why each feature is useful and how to avoid impaling yourself on the sharp stick of Ruby with said feature.

The writing was entertaining though a bit rough in a few places. It has the feel of a book that has been aggressively edited down to b
Wangyiran
i have read chapter 1-4,it teach me some ruby characters,and some basic knowlege for ruby,but not important for me to consider how to write good program and mainable program.so if you don't be actually want to be ruby programmer,just scan these chapters.

chapter 8 is surprising.it tell me ruby is not dynamic type which is more important different than java.the chapter should be read twice.
now i just give it 3 stars,util i finish all chapters.

i think the book is not suit for novice of ruby,it desc
Chris
Jul 23, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I slowly read through the book and this was my second attempt at reading it. Olsen's style is wonderful and keeps the content he is covering interesting.

He covers many subjects that even an experienced developer will find useful. Also it reminded me about so many features in ruby that I don't get to use every day.

Sadly the book is a little out of date and talks mostly about 1.8.7 and YARV (1.9). It would be wonderful to see a revised version come out. But even without that it's a book you can st
Jonathon Jones
May 27, 2014 Jonathon Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book overall, Olsen's conversational style combines with solid Ruby expertise to great effect. The examples are useful and illustrate his points well without cluttering up the text. He also gives lots of real world examples of the things he mentions, which makes it even more clear how his techniques are actually applied.

Highly recommended, even for developers who already know Ruby - there's a lot to learn here.
Bjoern Rochel
Oct 08, 2011 Bjoern Rochel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The perfect blend between Blacks "Wellgrounded Rubyist" and Perrottas "Metaprogramming Ruby". I especially liked all the real world examples from well known frameworks and tools ranging from rake, rspec to rails and cucumber. The only chapter that felt a bit disconnected from the rest, was the chapter on the various Ruby runtimes, though it was certainly interesting. If you're new to Ruby (like I am) I can only recommend reading this book, it's worth the time!!!
Jesper Persson
Jan 11, 2017 Jesper Persson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
For me, this is the golden standard of how books about programming should be written. Every chapter is informative, short and full of great tips and guidelines. Reading this book will grant you a deeper understanding of the Ruby programming language, as well as quite a few laughs. Can't recommend it enough.
Daria
Sep 26, 2015 Daria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a book that would introduce you to Ruby when you're coming from other languages, this is it. Very clear and eloquent (!) writing, very easy to follow and understand.

I particularly appreciate that the author went into different Ruby parsers and elaborated at least a little on how C/Java under the hood work.
Gyuri
May 30, 2012 Gyuri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
Although I use ruby for a while, I learnt lot of new things and also clarified parts of ruby I misunderstood. I recommend this book even to more experienced ruby developers at least as an excellent refresher. I enjoyed Russ Olsen's writing style. Thanks for this book!
Balaji Ravichandran
For a long time I am trying to read a Ruby book. First, I read Micheal Hartl's Ruby on Rails Tutorial. This book actually explains stuffs on writing Ruby code, The best practices upon writing Ruby code,etc. A nice book to get the feeling of programming disciplines.
Rick Toews
Just started this book. My initial impression is that it should be fun to read: the author clearly has a sense of humor, so I expect the book to provide a lot of good content, while not being merely boringly didactic.
Diego
Nov 25, 2013 Diego rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a well written book with some good insights but I think I should have tried to read it earlier.

After working with Ruby for some time and read The Ruby programming language, I found most of the content more of the same.
Ahmed Attyah
Nov 14, 2012 Ahmed Attyah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ruby-on-rails
The best Ruby book IMHO, excellent for beginners and a reference for experienced as well, should be on every ruby developer shelf, loved the author style, would love to read more books written by him.
Milad Rastian
Nov 07, 2013 Milad Rastian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is awesome book if you already know how to program but don't know where to start learning Ruby.

It explains all the important features in Ruby that you've missed in your beloved language! Don't need to convert to Ruby immediately, just take look and enjoy Ruby's eloquence and beauty.
Olly
Apr 22, 2011 Olly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a programming book in a while and this was really good, harking back to the good old days when I was just embarking on my career. This is Effective C++ / Effective Java for the Ruby generation.
Graham Lee
May 07, 2014 Graham Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As someone who understands the concepts of OOP from other languages like Smalltalk and ObjC, and knows just enough Ruby to be hazardous to shipping, I found this book to be an accessible discussion of Ruby style and technique. The chapters on metaprogramming were particularly great.
Andrew
Oct 18, 2012 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book if you don't want an enumeration of Ruby's APIs, but are instead looking to learn the basic tools.
Phil Chen
May 29, 2013 Phil Chen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice guide to how Ruby Programmers write code and approach syntax.
Jason Neylon
May 22, 2011 Jason Neylon rated it really liked it
Good second/intermediate Ruby book.
Tami Mitchell
Oct 29, 2012 Tami Mitchell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book.
Robert Kajić
Mar 23, 2013 Robert Kajić rated it really liked it
This was a great introduction to Ruby, I truly enjoyed it! I'm sure it won't be long before I come back to it, to re-read a chapter or two.
Hector
Aug 28, 2011 Hector rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wish I had read this sooner. A great way to shore up fundamentals for anyone programming in Ruby.
Brendan Walker
Jan 13, 2014 Brendan Walker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book to read about Ruby! Russ is an awesome writer.
SF Ruby Book Club: I see you are reading Eloquent Ruby... 3 12 Mar 08, 2013 10:46AM
  • Metaprogramming Ruby
  • Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers' Guide
  • Ruby Under a Microscope
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  •  Crafting Rails Applications: Expert Practices for Everyday Rails Development
  • The Ruby Way: Solutions and Techniques in Ruby Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns
  • Working with UNIX Processes
  • Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • The Cucumber Book

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Practical Object Oriented Design in Ruby
  • Refactoring: Ruby Edition, Adobe Reader
  • Design Patterns in Ruby
  • The Rails Way
  • Professional Ruby Series Writing Efficient Ruby Code

“Write the tests first, or second, or third. But write the darned tests.” 1 likes
“That voice you hear in your head, the one whispering that you need to add some comments, may just be your program crying out to be rewritten.” 0 likes