Start by marking “The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Scroll of the Dead” as Want to Read:
The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Scroll of the Dead

The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Scroll of the Dead (Sherlock Holmes Adventures #3)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  1,685 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Holmes attends a seance to unmask an impostor posing as a medium, Sebastian Melmoth, a man hell-bent on obtaining immortality after the discovery of an ancient Egyptian papyrus. It is up to Holmes and Watson tostop him and avert disaster...
In this fast-paced adventure, the action moves from London to the picturesque Lake District as Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson once mor
Published November 17th 2010 by Titan Books (first published July 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Margaret
“The Scroll of the Dead” by David Stuart Davies was first published in 1998, and then republished in 2009 under Titan Books “Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes” imprint.

At only 172 pages (208 including excerpts from other books), “The Scroll of the Dead” is quite short, more a novella than a novel, but it is a great read.

I was reluctant to read it at first, as I had read “The Veiled Detective”, another of David Stuart Davies Sherlock Holmes novels, and had not enjoyed it. “The Scroll of the D
Carl
"The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Scroll of the Dead" - what an intriguing title! The book is an enjoyable read, but the plot disappoints a bit and gets a bit predictable near the end. Being a "sucker" for books and movies dealing with Egypt and Egyptology, perhaps I expected more of a supernatural aura to the book. The story was certainly adequate and even exciting and tense in spots, but it still left a bit to be desired. "The Scroll of the Dead" by David Stuart Davies, who has w ...more
Bev

The Future Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: Scroll of the Dead by David Stuart Davies is a much better Holmes pastiche than the previous Davies offering I read last year (The Veiled Detective)--better in the sense that it adheres more strictly to the canon and expectations of those who like their Holmes stories to have a bit of continuity. I don't mind twists--provided the Doyle stories have not already established precedent.

In this outing, Holmes is asked by his brother Mycroft to attend a seance
Emmett
A very delightful afternoon read. Though I found the style markedly different from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's (more dialogue than the traditional tales, for example), it's not a bad thing to come across a refreshing change. The pace was just right which made it enjoyable (and probably too much that it became a distraction of sorts as I couldn't put it down until the last page had been turned), with the original characters intriguing in their own way. Initially plot twists and turns were exciting b ...more
Donna
I must confess I love any thing Sherlock. Have read the original books and stories over and over. Loved all the movies and TV shows ( Jeremy Brett still my favorite) As a key chain my daughter gave me says I am Sher Locked.
all that said David Stuart DAVies is said to be one of Britain's leading Sherlockian writers. The book is well written but not extraordinary
Amy
I was a little reluctant to read this, as I have read others in the 'series' and they have been poorly written and disappointing. But this one was quite enjoyable to read. I liked seeing Holmes and Watson working on the case.

My only complaint is that the plot wasn't terribly engaging. But the characters more than made up for that.
Cait
Liked the writing style - was very close to Conan Doyle's style (with the exception of the bits added in 'later').

Found the actual plot a little tricky to follow in places.

It was all well set up, there were some jumps which made it tricky to work out the case alone.

Looking forward to reading more by this author.
Peter
As always, Davies provides an engaging and enjoyable new Sherlock Holmes story, which maintains much of the style, pace, and vigour of the originals.

In this adventure, Holmes is on the trail of some unscrupulous individuals who have something of an obsession with death and the supernatural. In his inimitable style, he cuts through the nonsense to expose them for who and what they are.

The plot is reasonably clever, although after one particular twist about half-way through it starts to become a l
Nicole West
My first every Sherlock Holmes book read.
I feel a celebration coming on.
I'm so happy the first one I decided to pick up
dealt with Ancient Egypt. I'm an Egyptologist at heart!
Ellen
Loved it. Great romp and very loyal to the original series without being boring/just a copy..
Lillian Carl
The Scroll of the Dead, by David Stuart Davies, is a Sherlock Holmes pastiche, part of a
series of what are basically Holmes fan-fic novels published by Titan Books, a British
publisher. This one deals with a slimy character, sort of an Oscar Wilde gone bad,
searching for an ancient Egyptian scroll. The writing style imitated Conan Doyle's quite
nicely, but, as is usual with most pastiches, the plot and Holmes's deductions weren't
nearly as puzzling as the original.

No matter. I enjoyed it.
Alan Brindley
It was ok. Not brilliant but not poor either just ok.

Morgan
Extremely predictable, even clunky at times. Certainly not anything to write home about, but it was by no means deplorable. It was short, it was fun, and anything involving Sherlock Holmes and ancient Egypt will undoubtedly win me over in no time. I'd rate it as one of one of those quick summer reads you enjoy while floating in the pool.
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
I must not read anymore of these until I've read some of the original novels. How can 3 different authors have such different views of such an iconic creation?

As an admirer of Egyptian history I was rather looking forward to this story, but that's all it was - a story. Not much substance at all. But it passed the time!
S. J.
I can't do my regular review as I have attempted (with some success) to delete this book from my mind. What I do remember was disappointment, mediocre(at best) writing, and a pitiful mystery. As one incarnation of Sherlock Holmes says: "Bored, Bored, BORED!" I got rid of it practically as soon as I finished reading it.
Pamela
I love Sherlock Holmes Stories,and this one was very good. I would give it a 4.5 at least.I loved the plot, and of course the way Sherock deduces all the tangles, and clues. It has to do with a stolen scroll,and some very deluded people. A great mystery from one super writer, and one supberb sleuth.
Fred Hughes
I polished this one off in one sitting.A great story involving Egyptian scrolls and mythology. The bodies start piling up and the race is on for Sherlock and Watson to get to the bottom of it all.

This entire series gas great stories by great authors. Recommended
John
This Holmes novel reads as much like one of Doyle's originals as much as any other of the newer novels. The story keeps you interested throughout the book and it is quick read much like Doyle's earlier works.
Caidyn
I very much enjoyed this book. Then again, I love Egyptian history and this immediately caught me. The writing was superb. Characters interesting. Mystery engaging. I would definitely reread this book one day.
Caitlin
An enjoyable read while you're between books, but the plot seemed to be a bit slapdash at times; very fast paced toward the end, but very predictable (especially with the little split narrative).
Adam
Whilst the least strongest of this series so far, The Scroll of the Dead is a fairly decent Sherlock Holmes novel.
Salvatore
I really like the Further Adventure of Sherlock Holmes. I can't wait until I have read them all.
A.n.
Yaaaaaay! Another job well done for Sherlock Holmes! This was a good read. Pun intended.
Melody
read it in two days...love this series
Mike Barresi
Certainly not the best in the series.
Corinna Singleman
Corinna Singleman marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Maryn
Maryn marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Man From Hell
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Ectoplasmic Man
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Star of India
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Titanic Tragedy
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Web Weaver
  • Seance for a Vampire (Dracula Series, #8)
  • The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Crimes of Dr. Watson
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • The Adventure of the Peerless Peer
  • The Breath of God (Sherlock Holmes)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Rune Stone Mystery
David Stuart Davies was born in 1946. He was a teacher of English before becoming a full-time editor, writer, and playwright. Davies has written extensively about Sherlock Holmes, both fiction and non-fiction. He is the editor of Red Herrings, the monthly in-house publication of the Crime Writers' Association.
More about David Stuart Davies...

Sherlock Holmes Adventures (8 books)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Hentzau Affair
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Tangled Skein
  • The Shadow of the Rat : A Sherlock Holmes Adventure
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Veiled Detective
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Game's Afoot
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Death and Life (Big Finish Sherlock Holmes, #1.02)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Promise
Sherlock Holmes: The Last Act (Big Finish Sherlock Holmes, #1.01) The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Veiled Detective Sherlock Holmes and the Hentzau Affair Bending the Willow: Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes The Shadows of Sherlock Holmes (Wordsworth Collection)