Start by marking “Quake” as Want to Read:
Quake

Quake

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  1,048 ratings  ·  49 reviews
For Stanley, the earthquake is a heaven-sent opportunity. Just before it struck, he was ogling Sheila, a female jogger, and that's not all he'd like to do to her. Now the city lies in ruins, and Sheila lies trapped and naked in her bathtub. Can her husband make it to her before Stanley does?
Published September 1st 1995 by Headline Book Publishing (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Quake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quake

The Shining by Stephen KingThe Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingDracula by Bram Stoker'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
The Definitive Horror Book List
245th out of 808 books — 1,117 voters
Island by Richard LaymonNight in the Lonesome October by Richard LaymonThe Traveling Vampire Show by Richard LaymonAfter Midnight by Richard LaymonThe Cellar by Richard Laymon
Best Richard Laymon Books!
22nd out of 45 books — 82 voters

More lists with this book...

Adam Light
I blazed through this lengthy Laymon offering pretty quickly. It was a lot of fun to read, if you can get fast all the rapey stuff going on (and there was quite a bit of it, even for Laymon).

If you read Laymon, though, you have to expect that kind of thing. Quake featured one of the author's most deplorable villians, and that is saying a lot. Stanley is just plain vile.

While he is tormenting Sheila, whose house fell over on her, trapping her in her bathtub, the two other story lines detail the e
Evans Light
This offering by Laymon often felt like three separate books that had been cut apart and shuffled into one volume. True, they all dealt with people in the aftermath of an earthquake, but to me the primary storyline that kicked off the book was the meat of the story and the other two story threads were just not compelling enough to compete for attention with the main plot.
So what you have with this book is a pretty tight and twisted Laymon novella cluttered with a lot of filler. Yes, everything
Kerstin
Grundidee: Ein Erdbeben erschüttert Los Angeles und Richard Laymon erzählt die Geschichte verschiedener Personen, die sich durch Chaos und Wahnsinn nach diesem verheerenden Unglück kämpfen.
Charaktere: Wer Richard Laymon kennt, weiß, dass seine Charaktere nicht unbedingt durch Tiefe und Intelligenz glänzen. Die Hauptpersonen in Das Inferno bestehen aus der Familie Banner. Sheila Banner wurde während des Erdbebens in ihrer Badewanne eingeklemmt und kann sich alleine nicht befreien. Sie bekommt es
Bandit
In this product of Richard Laymon's gloriously demented imagination the denizens of LA revert back to psychotic savages promtly following a devastating earthquake. Not all of them, of course, but just enough to ensure almost 600 pages of mayhem and madness with generous sprinkling of unmistakingly Laymonesque rape, T&A & horny teens. Entertaining and quick read. Great cover art. Recommended for Laymon fans.
Adam Wilson
Quake by Richard Laymon is one of those novels that makes you think that yeah, maybe this actually would happen if a massive earthquake struck LA, but only for about

half of the novel. The story follows three people trying to achieve something in the aftermath of the quake. This is made all the more difficult by bands of almost sub

-humans that loot and kill as if the world had ended several months before the start of the novel. I really enjoyed how seemlessly the stories fit together and one

was
Matthew Tait
Richard Laymon was an author whose prolific sensibilities and writing work ethic guaranteed himself a legacy that keeps on giving: even if you’ve managed to slough through the majority of his tomes, chances are there is still a couple more lurking in the wings somewhere, just waiting to be tapped. It was many novels ago during my reading life that I picked up a battered paperback copy of The Stake, and over the years I’ve kept coming back, sampling each novel in turn like a much beloved dish, ne ...more
David S.
When reading a Laymon novel, I realize that I am not about to embark on high brow literature that is sure to score a Pulitzer Prize. I read Laymon for the wild storyline, and unbelievable acts and mindsets of his characters (good and/or bad).

"Quake" is one of the biggest disappointments this author has handed over to me. I finished it hoping that the payoff would be in the finale. Nope. Even the characters were, well how to put this...I couldn't care less what happened to them. The protaganists
TJ
Richard Laymon fans will find plenty of the successful Laymon formula present in "Quake", one of the longest books he penned. Lots of scenes involving gore, violence, sex, nudity, unbelievable situations, and well-drawn characters are present throughout the novel. Originally published under the title, "The Quake" back in the mid-'90s, the plot of this book deals with how Los Angeles would deal with a devastating major earthquake.

As usual, Laymon pulls no punches with the wide variety of characte
Phil Zimmerman
Ah Laymon, so enjoyable yet so utterly ludicrous.

Quake is really the story of the Banner family. There are three plot lines dealing with each member of the family. After the quake, Clint is trying to get home from work, Barbara is trying to get home from school, and Sheila is trying to get out of the tub. Somehow it takes almost 600 pages for these situations to resolve themselves.

In typical laymon fashion, the whole situation gets as bad as possible very quickly. LA basically turns into a war z
Mike Kazmierczak
As is usual, Laymon does an awesome job. He squeezes so many things happening to his characters in a single day that it's amazing. Maybe some of the coincidences and events are a little too much but generally you're having so much fun reading the book that you don't notice until the end.

The story is about the Banner family and what happens to them after a huge quake hits Los Angeles. The mom is trapped at home in the bathtub that saved her life but, of course, is naked. Dad is at work and starts
Stuart Keane
I've read most of Richard Laymon's books, but this was the first one I actually purchased on my own dime.

Keeping his usual panache for horror, gore and sexuality, Laymon takes a normal family, splits them up and places them separately across town. Then an earthquake hits and the family members have to fight nature, human instability and the pervert next door to arrive home safely.

Told from three narratives (mother, father, daughter) the family must fight across town to rendezvous with one anothe
John Gibbons
This novel basically tells the story of several characters during the hours after a devastating earth quake. The main psycho of the book is Stanley Banks. He's obsessed with his neighbor Sheila. When the quake hits Sheila is stuck in her bath tub and Stanley, with the help of his trusty saw, uses this disaster as an opportunity to live out the fantasies he's harbored. This book has a lot of good side stories. I thoroughly enjoyed the stories of Clint and Barbara as well (Sheila's husband and dau ...more
Leyla19
Das war also mein erster Laymon...

Es war ein interessantes Buch - ich hätte es niemals für möglich gehalten 400 Seiten nur über den Akt des Nachhausekommens von drei Personen zu lesen und so zu genießen. Ich glaube auch, dass ich alles gut im Kopf behalten werde, da teilweise einprägsame (oh ja) Szenen gemischt mit einem Anfall von Ekel meinerseits eingesetzt wurden. Das hingegen, zusammen mit der anscheinend typischen Sexualität, wurde mir jedoch schon mehrfach 'prophezeit'. :)

Ich freue mich au
Emma
It reminded me a bit of "Come Out Tonight", and was probably only ever so slightly better. The ending was very weak, especially having read "Island".

Once again, not very many likeable characters.
Joe Stamber
I only discovered Laymon around 3 or 4 years ago, and although I'm a fan and have always enjoyed hos books, I've never been blown away by any of them. His style is right up my street, full-on, no holds barred. If it wasn't for the fact that I've read Jack Ketchum and the like in recent times, I would probably have found Quake a whole lot more shocking. Don't be fooled by the 567 page count, the spacing is generous and it felt more like a 350 page read to me.

We follow a father, mother and daughte
DJMikeG
This mammoth Laymon epic of mayhem is about the aftermath of a large earthquake in Los Angeles. The book contains three story lines that concern the Banner family: Clint the dad, Barbara the daughter and Sheila the mom. Clint and Barbara have to face chaos and violence filled journeys across L.A. to get home, where Sheila is trapped in the bathtub of their collapsed homestead. The Banner's neighbor Stanley is a demented sickie who thinks that the quake was a gift from god, as it has locked his s ...more
Sadie Grubor
Obviously, when you embark on a tale written by Laymon you are not expecting literary genius. However, you do expect to get a twisted, gory look at humanity with slasher-horror flick feel.

While Quake does explore the what-if of humanity in the aftermath of the "big one", you have to wonder if things would regress to the state portrayed in the book so quickly. I don't doubt some of these things would take place, BUT the whole city/area going so downhill into murderers, gangs, crazies, and pervert
Dreadlocksmile
Laymon's novel `Quake' which was first published back in 1995 is a fast-paced disaster tale that draws upon the events of a small number of survivors that are left to cope with the after effects of a giant earthquake. Leaning heavily towards the elements involved in a classic post-apocalyptic novel, Laymon creates a world of chaos and bloodshed where law and order have been totally forgotten.

With a brazen underlying social commentary that strikes the reader with the subtlety of a sledgehammer,
Jak
Pretty juvenile stuff once again from Laymon. Hollywood gets hit by an 8.0 earthquake and Laymon follows a family (mother, daughter, father) and their compatriot’s attempts to get ‘back home’ and reunite in safety. However, with a brief window where no there is no established law and order social order breaks down. Actually, let me rephrase that, I goes f**king mental.

I first read this when I was about 14/15 and even then thought it was pretty far fetched. I think it even more so now. No doubt t
Russell Smith
This is more like it. Here, the late, great Laymon takes you deep into the mind of a sex-starved pervert who uses an earthquake to his advantage in a bid to get into the knickers of his nearest neighbour.

Laymon was a scholar and the world lost a master of the horror genre twelve years ago. Readers who are new to his works (and if that is the case, may I ask why?) will find his books racy, raunchy and riveting, and he delivers all three of those qualities in spades here.

The main criticism I would
Mary
I have to say that this book was difficult to get through. I gave Richard Laymon the respect he is due by finishing the book but it was truly agonizing. It didn't hold my interest, I didn't care for any of the characters in the book, so it didn't matter what happened to them.

I have read dozens of Laymon books and normally devour them in a matter of a week or even a day or two. Usually I lose myself in the story and his presentation of it. So this was quite the surprise and an utter disappointmen
chucklesthescot
Stanely lives with his elderly mother and every day he watches Sheila jog by. So when the earthquake comes and turns things upside down, Stanely is free from his mother and discovers Sheila naked and trapped in the remains of her home. It is a dream come true but Stanely knows he has to keep other rescuers and her family away so that he can have Sheila to himself.

Stanely is your typical weirdo pervert intent on rape and murder that you expect to find in a Richard Laymon novel, but this was one o
Rachel Brown
Easy to read and the characters are likeable (the good ones!) but the plot is so far-fetched it is difficult to believe. I think too much was thrown at this story which diminished its quality. Disappointing as I like the style of prose and I have enjoyed some of the authors other books.
Paul Waters
Richard Laymon is not for the faint hearted or for those with a closed mind nor does he write to impress you with words and literature. This book is a fast paced action/thriller that tells the story of a group of survivors after an earth quake. Expect rape, severed heads and lots of violence and as usual a lot of sexual references. I throughly enjoyed this book as I have enjoyed most of his books. I find sometimes the sexual references and violence to be just a little bit too much but it couldn' ...more
Timothy Freigant
Another great book that keeps p wanting to read!
Mark
Sep 05, 2011 Mark rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
A book very much of two halves. An earthquake lays waste to parts of LA and the hero is at work, his wife is at home, naked in the bath. The story of the hero, trying to get home, is gripping and works well. The wife (did I mention she was naked - Laymon does, often) has drawn the attentions of her weird, pervy neighbour. Ho hum.
Kit
quake is by far my favourite of Laymon's books. it's utterly ridiculous and over the top of course, but I felt that worked in this book more than any of the others. it draws you in and makes you care about the characters, which is unusual for Laymon as I tend to find that all his characters, even the good ones are beyond contempt.
Andrew
I thought this was a great read and definitely a page turner. For some reason I feel drawn to end of world scenarios and this is a book that definitely gets me focusing on the what if questions. This is a book that I will return to time and time again.
Chris Morgan
Typical Laymon.... One of his finest, graphic, easy to read (as usual) & leaves you thinking this could happen.
Recommend this as your first Laymon novel.
Will leave you wanting more & more Laymon.
Defiantly recommended.
  • Castaways (Leisure Fiction)
  • Chasm
  • The Killing Kind
  • Stranger
  • Succubi
  • Nobody True
Richard Laymon was born in Chicago and grew up in California. He earned a BA in English Literature from Willamette University, Oregon and an MA from Loyola University, Los Angeles. He worked as a schoolteacher, a librarian, and a report writer for a law firm, and was the author of more than thirty acclaimed novels.

He also published more than sixty short stories in magazines such as Ellery Queen,
More about Richard Laymon...
The Traveling Vampire Show The Cellar Island Endless Night In the Dark