Start by marking “Bite” as Want to Read:

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,550 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
It's almost midnight. Cat's on the bed, facedown and naked. She's Sam's former girlfriend, the only woman he's ever loved. Sam's in the closet, with a hammer in one hand and a wooden stake in the other. Together they wait as the clock ticks down because ... the vampire is coming.When Cat first appeared at Sam's door he couldn't believe his eyes. He hadn't seen her intern y ...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Leisure Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Bite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bite

The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
263rd out of 1,356 books — 4,134 voters
'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceDark Lover by J.R. WardThe Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Best Adult Vampire Books
122nd out of 1,296 books — 7,042 voters

More lists with this book...

Adam Light
Jul 29, 2015 Adam Light rated it really liked it
Bite is Laymon in top, if not peak, form. Fun, witty, danger around every bend. I won't declare it essential Laymon (unless you, like me, want to read every word he wrote) but it is a great example of.the .author's talents.
Gary
Aug 09, 2015 Gary rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, favorites
I really liked this. The plot is weird with twists and turns that lead everywhere and nowhere. As always, Laymon finds a ridiculous number of sexually deviant psychopaths everywhere, but isn't that part of what makes him fun to read. While this isn't one of his best, I thought it was one of his better books.
It was a fun summer read and since I didn't go into it too seriously, I was able to enjoy it. Laymon has been my favorite author since I discovered him a decade or so ago.
Addy
Oct 13, 2015 Addy rated it liked it
I gave this book a 3 only because even though I was disappointed in the material, when I truly thought about it, I really shouldn't have expected anything different. Once he had introduced Snow White and the idiot twins (Donny and Peggy) I should have known this would be more about them than a supposed vampire who spent the majority of its time in the trunk of a car. Despite these flaws, it did have me guessing and gave me a few laughs on the way. Definitely not his best and not a good place to ...more
Janie Johnson
Oct 03, 2012 Janie Johnson rated it it was ok
Wow what to say about this book. Nothing like I expected, and I was really disappointed because I like most of Laymon's works. But this one, just did not do it for me. Nothing to take from the book at all. Hell I probably won't even remember in a year or two.

The begining, the set up of the story, was a bit ridiculous, so this supposed Vampire is introduced, and then the title "Bite" came into play for a moment and that was it. Where was the fear and the intensity at? Then towards the middle it
Adamus
Oct 12, 2015 Adamus rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This was a little different for me & definitely a different style for Laymon even tho there wasn't as much action in it as his others it did still grab you. I was a little disappointed because how the plot turned out, but there were some really suspenseful moments & not too mention a lot of funny moments. I feel Laymon tried something different with this book compared to his others it wasn't bad but it wasn't exactly what I expected, & because the plot that's why I have it 4 stars, b ...more
Kristen
Boo to whoever wrote the synopsis on the back of this book, and Boo to Richard Laymon for what this book turned into. This book is sold as a vampire novel… it’s not, in fact the “vampire” has metal fangs and spends 90% of the book in the trunk of a car with a stake through him, looking very very dead. This book follows Cat and Sam through a series of bad luck and even worse choices. The choices they make are so dumb, that the reader will find themselves hoping that the vampire WOULD come back an ...more
Vicki Willis
This had all the things I consider Laymon. Dumb, adolescent-like boy, manipulative girl, bizarre sex and of course a lunatic. It wasn't his best, but it kept my interest and I enjoyed it. The ending was the best part for me.
Wendy
May 11, 2008 Wendy rated it liked it
What to say about this book? Well it was 'interesting'. One of the things that I am finding about Laymon's books, at least the ones that I have read, is that his main male characters always seem to be easily lead around by the women by their little brain instead of their big ones. lol I mean some of the stuff that Sam goes along with in the name of love really makes you wonder just what kind of idiot this guy is.

I kept waiting for Cat to say 'Surprise' this was all a set up to get you back, or
Reese Copeland
Apr 22, 2012 Reese Copeland rated it liked it
Initially, I thought the book started great. This was shortly interrupted by a lot of boring details and lots of frustrations regarding "can we just get on with the story now?!". I realize some of this was for suspense, and that's great and all, but, when it starts impeding the progress of the story, maybe you should quit while you're behind. Eventually, the story ended, which I often found myself eagerly awaiting cause at least then I could say the story was progressing. Now, having said all of ...more
Mylene
May 07, 2014 Mylene rated it liked it
Shelves: richard-laymon
I will always be a huge Laymon fan. That being said, I can totally see how a newbie could start a book like Bite and decide prematurely that Laymon sucks. The beginning of Bite is a bore fest... How much description do we really need about Cat and Sam trying to move the dead body of a so-called vampire? I have to say that I was even more irritated by the fact that I was going to have to slug through a whole vampire tale as I am sick to death of the neighborhood Nosferatus. But, as a true Laymon ...more
Michelle
This book was dreadful. A total waste of time.

It's about a guy & a girl who kill a supposed vampire and stick him in the car trunk, and drive around the desert looking for a place to dump the body. Along the way, they meet up with a freak named Snow White who terrorizes the hell out of them.

It's just SUCH an idiotic story, that I honestly have no idea how the thing even got published in the first place. It's books like these that are times when I KNOW that even I can write a better story
Cora
Nov 27, 2014 Cora rated it it was ok
I rated this a 2 because I was expecting this to be more of a vampire novel than what it turned out to be. Instead, the characters run into trouble with a psychopath while they're on their way to dump a body - presumably a vampire. There really isn't much more to it than that.

The characters make strange decisions while in mortal peril, and the ending seems very rushed. If you've ever watched the movie The Hitcher, starring C. Thomas Howell and Rutger Haur, well, that's the gist of it - with a v
Calinda
Jul 15, 2014 Calinda rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror
This book has a plot that does not make sense and unbelievable situations that aren't convincing even in the context of a horror book (which of course no one expects to be "realistic"...this goes way beyond just being unrealistic to being silly-unbelievable). The main characters are such morons that by the end, you are not sympathetic with them and wondering whether they're going to get killed...but are rather wondering if they're going to get killed to put them out of their stupidity and so the ...more
Tammy
Jul 16, 2010 Tammy rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, vampires
I get so frustrated with this author. He's telling a great, imaginative story about a maybe vampire and then he does it, once again. He throws in a scene or two or three (in one afternoon!) of what can only be described as a series of Penthouse letters written by a horny, overly sentimental 14-year-old boy. Laymon fans, is there a single novel that doesn't get interrupted by his silly juvenile sex fantasies?
Jenna
May 28, 2009 Jenna rated it did not like it
This book was awful! I tend to read a lot of campy horror and sci-fi but this was worse than most. The characters were horrible and the dialog as painful. The plot lacked any interest at all. The first chapter was mildly entertaining but all I can say is it was a waste of time and that is saying a lot for the stuff that I tend to read!
Juliet Davis
Mar 11, 2014 Juliet Davis rated it really liked it
Laymon knows how to write an excellent story. Cuts, Darkness tell Us, Body Rides, and Island are just a few of my favourites. However, this book did not excite me the way his other novels have. For one, its called Bite, but the Vampire was there for a minute and then gone. The characters ran into a madman, which is the true premis of the story. For some reason, this book was easy to put down and get back to later, something that almost none of his other novels has done to me. O well, I have a fe ...more
Jim Reindollar
May 24, 2011 Jim Reindollar rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, mystery
When Cat shows up at her old boyfriend Sam's door at 11PM asking him to kill a vampire after ten years of not having seen him, we are thrown into Sam's world as he takes on many questionable characters. First of all Cat, is she telling the truth and was she involved in the murder of her husband?
Then, there is Elliot, the supposed vampire. A weird guy, creepy, but is he a for real vampire or just an evil guy more deranged than the usual oddballs? What about Snow White, the strange Indigenous Am
Michael McCarty
Aug 09, 2010 Michael McCarty rated it it was amazing
Bite was easily one of the best horror novels of 1999. The story begins when the protagonist, Sam, gets a late-night visit from his former girlfriend Cat, who he hasn't seen in ten years. She comes knocking at his door wearing only a silk robe.
It turns out that Cat is being victimized by a vampire named Elliot, and she wants Sam to hide in her closet with a stake and destroy him.
Sam sums up his own predicament: "Things had started fairly simple: weird but simple. I was supposed to ambush Cat'
D.M. Dutcher
Apr 16, 2013 D.M. Dutcher rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror
I didn't really like it.

What would you do if the girl you loved and lost showed up one day and asked for your help in killing a vampire? If you're Sam, you agree to it, and now you have a dead vampire on his hands. Though whether or not he actually is one is a toss-up, so you need to go out and dump his body far away. From there on, it gets worse.

The problem is that the titular vampire Elliot wears metal fangs, and the book is oddly coy about him being one. He spends most of his time dead in th
Victoria
Sep 12, 2012 Victoria rated it it was ok
A complete summer simply can’t be had without curling up with one of Laymon’s novels. With a catchy title implying vampires, this seems to promise fun, excitement and plenty of thrills. Unfortunately, the book fails to deliver. Sammy, a 26-year-old teacher, reverts immediately back to his adolescence when his high school love, Cat, mysteriously shows up on his doorstep at eleven o’clock at night, clad in only a silk robe. Sam’s narration and his almost sweet (but very childish) obsession with Ca ...more
Trevor
Apr 03, 2012 Trevor rated it did not like it
I've enjoyed a few Laymon books in the past, but between this and the underwhelming Flesh, which I also read recently, I'm starting to recognize him as more of a "hit and miss" author. For those not familiar with Laymon's extreme style, it can be best summed up by saying his go-to thing is constantly escalating the stakes. It often feels to me like he sits down to write a story without the full plot in his head, but instead just writes for a certain amount of pages, and then decides how he could ...more
Cindy Smith
Sep 17, 2014 Cindy Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
This was the first Richard Laymon book I read. Now, I have a small collection of his work. I think that will tell you how impressed I was by this book. It left me wanting more from this author. If you do not like blood and gore and graphic depictions of sex or killing scenes, then you will want to skip this book and this author. But, if you like your novels gritty, this is for you.
Douglas Boren
Aug 05, 2013 Douglas Boren rated it liked it
Ok, I gave this three stars only because I have to admit, the author did in fact write "well". There was good description, character developement, and tension for climax. However...the story sucked.

First and foremost, this is NOT a vampire thriller. Not even close.
Its more about mass murderers, and is basically a descent into depravity, stupidity, and intense sado-masochism.

I never could like the main characters; they can be described in three words...dirt-dumb-stupid. I came to feel they deser
Charlene Nelson
Nov 12, 2015 Charlene Nelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bite

This book took forever to read I'm a huge Richard Laymon fan but Cat decisions were not smart like seriously but it was a good book I would've expected more of the vampire story of it...
Bob Vincent
Feb 14, 2015 Bob Vincent rated it did not like it
As much as I enjoyed Laymon's Traveling Vampire Show, I simply could not get into this book. I found the characters very shallow, and the story dragged on without sparking my interest. It was a chore to pick up the Kindle and read through for a while, and I finally put it aside unfinished. I chose to open another book on the Kindle so I could enjoy reading it, rather then plod through this one, hoping in vain (pun not intended) that it would pick up and improve.
Heather Wildman
Jun 26, 2011 Heather Wildman rated it really liked it
I'm a great lover of character driven stories probably beacuse human reaction is what life is made of. After having a Laymon book read to me over the phone, I fell in love with his character building abilities. So, when this book came highly recommended by someone who knows me rather well, I had to read it.

In this book about the murder and disposal of a vampire, the question of whether or not they are real is a steady theme. Bite takes the reader on an adventure that consists of a series of unfo
Russell Holbrook
Aug 09, 2015 Russell Holbrook rated it really liked it
Another awesome summer horror novel! I really liked the main characters. The story line didn't resolve like I expected it to, which was a relief. Very cool!
TheShrike
Jul 07, 2015 TheShrike rated it liked it
2 people kill someone who they think was a vampire. Was he really? Is he actually dead? Fun, silly horror, quick read.
Jayziel
Jan 26, 2013 Jayziel rated it did not like it
After reading Darkness, Tell Us, I was intrigued by Laymon's rather eccentric writing. Not to mention his sexual take on things. I really thought I would like this book but it turned out otherwise.

What took the book down was the nonsense dialogues that just add up in the book's pages. I also observed 3 to 4 pages of Sam's peeping at Cat. 2 pages would do, Mr. Laymon.

What's more, Elliot's not really mentioned in the book. He just lay there in the car's trunk and that's pretty much his action.

To s
Rob Bonney
Jan 30, 2014 Rob Bonney rated it really liked it
This is my third and thus far favorite Laymon novel. Nice character development and the story had me racing to find out what happens at the end. Nicely done Mr. Laymon.
  • Triage
  • House Infernal (City Infernal, #3)
  • Night Life
  • House of Blood
  • The Ignored
  • The Long Last Call
  • The 13th
  • Vampyrrhic
  • Castaways
Richard Laymon was born in Chicago and grew up in California. He earned a BA in English Literature from Willamette University, Oregon and an MA from Loyola University, Los Angeles. He worked as a schoolteacher, a librarian, and a report writer for a law firm, and was the author of more than thirty acclaimed novels.

He also published more than sixty short stories in magazines such as Ellery Queen,
More about Richard Laymon...