Start by marking “Unlocked” as Want to Read:
Unlocked

Unlocked

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  40 reviews
I walk down a long, dark corridor filled with doors. Clutched in my hand is a ring of keys of various sizes and shapes and colors. Each key will open a door, some leading to new worlds, others hiding secrets better left forgotten, and still more holding dreams to be shared.

At the end of the hall stands a wooden chest with a golden latch. I fumble through my keys and inser
Published August 27th 2010 by CreateSpace (first published August 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Unlocked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unlocked

Renee
Okay, first let me explain my involvement with this project and then I'll get into my review. I watched these writers bust their asses on this project, from conception to publication. I offered my input when they were ironing out some kinks and witnessed their kickass marketing and enthusiasm. If every writer went into projects as this group of authors did, the number of exceptional books on the shelvs would skyrocket.

Now, my rating. I couldn't give this anthology five stars. Actually, my first
Sharon
I wavered between rating this anthology four or five stars. As with most anthologies, it is uneven. I liked some stories better than others. At the end of the day, I went with the higher rating because my preferences were based more on genre than writing style; I tend not to read YA urban fantasy, for example (with a few notable exceptions like Charles de Lint).

My favorites were Assassin's Keeper and Crop Circles, but all of them were well-done, using the "key" theme in different and sometimes u
Wendy
I won a copy of this book and I gave it five stars because the stories are excellent. I have read McCaffrey and LeGuin's short stories and these are equally engaging. Sure I liked some stories better than others but that's what personal taste is all about. I found that I wanted two of the stories to be full length, so the 5 star rating. Thanks for the fun read- I did it in one straight shot.
Veronica Sicoe
This is a great demonstration of how very different genres, styles of writing and approaches to similar topics can work together, share a common thread and entertain the reader -- and also teach or remind them that an open mind, the thirst for knowledge and the freedom to be oneself are the most important things in life.
I greatly enjoyed reading all of the stories, even though some were very different from what I normally read. They were all well told -- sorry, shown ;) -- and had something uniq
Kara
It is basically a book with a bunch of awesome short stories about keys. Some of the stories were pleasant, some were most exhilarating, and some were just plain creepy. Other then the stories gave great sparks of imagination and where good time consumers there isn’t much one can say about this book. I loved the all of them really, even the one with the husband and wife (even though it wasn’t YA the rest were). All of them had a similar message (well most of them): The key to knowledge is books ...more
Jemima Puddle Duck
I stumbled across this book and was immediately caught by the concept. All these short stories involve a key, and have all been written by authors I have never heard of. All of them have managed to deliver something that is definitely worth the read.

I planned to read one story a day, but some of these gave me sleeping issues and made me reluctant to continue. I am glad to have persevered, though, because enjoyed I the last few stories more than the others. This isn't the kind of book that I wou
Paige
Jul 07, 2010 Paige rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote a story for this book. I admire all of the other authors in this book. I am thankful to know each and every one of them, at least online. I loved how the editing process went. Oh yeah, how could I not give this 5 stars, other than for the simple reason that this book rocked!!! Read it!
I thoroughly enjoyed all of these stories. They were all well-written and captivating. I look forward to reading more of what these writers have to offer.
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
My feelings about this book vary just as the stories in this book vary. There were some stories I really liked, some I didn't like so well and some that were just okay. Such a mixed bag of ideas here. It's my understanding that this book is labeled as YA, which is such a broad age range. (15-25) For the most part, I agree.

Assassin's Keeper was the first story in the book and honestly, the most shocking. I didn't like it and I would never recommend it as reading material for younger readers. (18+
Bernadette
An interesting anthology of short stories all containing a connection to a ¨key¨! Although I enjoyed some stories and writing styles more than others, I did enjoy the different interpretations of the key motif. My favorite stories - and ones I think I would use with students - were ¨Crop Circles¨, ¨Symbiote¨, ¨Survival¨, and ¨Shoshanna¨.

In a secondary classroom, it would be fun to use these stories in collaborative reading and writing projects. Small groups could each be assigned a different st
NebraskaIcebergs
The preface of Unlocked reads: “Each key will open a door, some leading to new worlds, others hiding secrets better left forgotten, and still holding dreams to be shared.” After reading this anthology, you’ll never think about your keys in the same way again!

In one of my surprise favorite stories, Assassin by Jaimey Grant, the main female character Sable wears a key around her neck as her only connection to her murdered parents. The story is about a trained killer, which doesn’t make for my typi
Rita Webb
Dec 20, 2010 Rita Webb added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
10 stories. 9 authors. A key to tie them all together.

Assassin's Keeper by Jaimey Grant
Sable kills to rid the world of the corrupted nobles of old London. Her keeper's job is to clean up her messes. I wished this story would go on forever. I'd love to see what happens next.

My favorite quote: "Sable hated it when a killing went too smoothly. It was like thumbing one’s nose at the devil, taunting him to do his worst."

Crop Circles by Wendy Swore
A teenage boy working on his uncle's farm finds himsel
Nasuesue
The assasin's keeper kept me on my toes all the time. It was awesome. I liked how it included the pain and sorrow of love.

Crop Circles was amazing. It made me laugh until I sounded like a dying car engine.

The Symboite was kinda weird but very exciting science fiction.

Where they belong was a weird story through and through.

Survival was better than the last one but not by much.

Unlocking william was about everyday like stuff.

Shoshanna was brilliant and awesome.

The Key to a Good education was good a
Gwendolyn
Sep 06, 2010 Gwendolyn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
Never review your own work... even if... No! Make that 'especially' if you don't want to be accused of having multiple personality disorder.

Besides... what do you say? I love my own writing? The best short story I've ever written?

Sounds silly, Yes?

Inside this anthology you'll find a collection of stories by a group of very talented writers, some of whom are already published, who are busy perfecting their craft.

We hope you'll enjoy reading the stories as much as we did creating them for your e
Tina
Most of the stories were great considering they were so short and free. I have to say those the last first story, the first story, and the one about the alori were by far my favorites. All the others were cute and I was happy to read them to pass the time. However, when one my favorite 3 ended I was left a bit saddened.. looking for a small epilogue just to have one more page on each. Especially the first story....why oh why did you end so?! I won't lie two of the stories weren't my preferred wr ...more
Sella Malin
Aug 17, 2010 Sella Malin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Paige Ray has a story in this book! Ayee! I must read it!
Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna
Ten stories vary greatly from each other in genre and style of writing. Like with many anthologies I had my favorites and the ones that were obviously not "my cup of tea." Since the stories were not too long and it was obvious that all authors invested themselves and took great care and mastery to craft their pieces, I did not mind the ones I did not care for and enjoyed myself with the ones I clicked with. It was a great way for me to sample several new authors at once and to see if I wanted to ...more
madison
I was really excited to start this book, and and so glad to say I really enjoyed it. All of these stories kept the book fast paced, and I was really eager to begin each new section. Although I liked the seperate stories, it seemed that they could have had a bit more detail. In the end though, Unlocked was a book I'm glad I read - Thank you Rita J. Webb!
Renee
I was really hoping that this book of short stories would be good, and they were really just ok...some of them much better than others. Frankly about half of them were really not interesting to me at all. Overall 2 to 2 1/2 stars, a few of the stories a 3. Also, it's a bit odd that so many of the authors "reviewed" and "rated" their own stories here...
Wendy
Jul 28, 2010 Wendy added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Available August 13th, 2010, my short story, Crop Circles, is part of this FREE download. This collection of short stories is appropriate for YA readers but entertaining enough for adults too.

Humor, Regency, Fantasy, Horror,Coming of Age... Each of the 10 stories offers it's own spin on the key theme that binds them all. Check it out!

V.E.
My favourite were "Crop Circles", "Symbiote", "Survival", and "Unlocking William" because I liked both the plots and the sense of completion they had. Overall I liked reading this collection of stories and I would be very glad if the stories where later developed into full-length novels.
S.M. Carrière
I have a story in this book, so I can't rightly review it. I do want to say, however, that the authors who participated are extremely talented. I respect them very much, and I think we've pulled together a solid and entertaining anthology.
Jaime
Very uneven selection, and the ebook was dreadfully in need of editing. However, some of the stories were quite memorable. My favorites were Unlocking William, The Assassin's Keeper, and Symbiote.
Taylor
A few short stories centered around 'keys'.

My favorites:

* Where They Belong
* Symbiote
* Shoshanna
* The Bookseller

This book was pretty amazing i loved pretty much all the parts!! iff i had to read a book for my whole life, i would pick this one!!
Kelsi
it was great! all of the stories were well writen and i really liked it.
Hira
"Unlocked" is the combined effort of various authors, and it is apparent in the book itself. The book is an amalgamation of emotions, it ranges from the inspiring to the grotesque and creepy - but all of the stories are actually quite interesting. Although not all stories may be likable by one person, the fact that this book offers so many unique stories, in so many unique voices, that all tie into a single theme makes this book well worth the read. It offers variety, it offers imagination, it o ...more
Jason Slovak
I won this book through the Goodreads First-Reads giveaway program so, a big "Thank You" to Goodreads and the publisher for this book.

I went back and forth rating this one either 3 or 4 stars. I thought Symbiote was great and could make a really good full novel. A couple of the other stories were almost too short though. I know that they're short stories but they were so short I had a hard time feeling vested in the them.

All in all though, Unlocked is a good collection of short stories and a ver
Inspired Kathy
Author Interview with Rita Webb & Book Giveaway for Unlocked on my blog - ends 2/13/11
Sharon
I am NOT a fan of short stories. That being said, this book was not horrible. The last story, Her fathers eyes, was the best.
  • The Legend of Witch Bane
  • Candy Wars: The Tooth Fairies vs The Candy King
  • Eclipsed By Shadow (The Legend of the Great Horse, #1)
  • Catharsis
  • Under a Midnight Moon (Werekind #2.5)
  • Scarecrows
  • A Candlelight Courting: A Short Christmas Romance
  • Between Tooth and Paw
  • Transcendent: Tales of the Paranormal
  • Masks
  • Perilous (Perilous, #1)
  • Fiddler's Green (Fin's Revolution, #2)
  • Moonlighting In Vermont (A Bree MacGowan Mystery #1)
  • Cassie Draws the Universe
  • Harbor Moon
  • Leyla's Locket (Sera Chronicles, #1)
  • Vengeance
  • The Family Bones
I'm an author who battles ADD with sporadic doses of writing, book cover design, blogging, online promotion, homeschooling my two kids, fermenting things with my husband (mostly beer), video games, reading, and housework. (The housework suffers.) I sleep and eat when I remember.

Check out my blog, if you get the chance: Into the Mind of Jaimey Grant
More about Jaimey Grant...
Heartless Betrayal My Lady Coward: An Episodic Regency Romance Deception Honor

“But for your eyes. Green as spring grass, and sparkling like dew in the morning sun.” 13 likes