Start by marking “A Short Treatise on the Joys of Morphinism” as Want to Read:
A Short Treatise on the Joys of Morphinism

A Short Treatise on the Joys of Morphinism

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Drawing on the author's own history of addiction, this title features two stories: 'A Short Treatise on the Joys of Morphinism' and 'Three Years of Life'.
Paperback, Penguin Mini Modern Classics, 69 pages
Published 2011 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Short Treatise on the Joys of Morphinism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Short Treatise on the Joys of Morphinism

BrokenTune
Review first posted on BookLikes:

Hans Fallada was a troubled soul.

Fallada was one of the eminent writers of the Weimar Republic who found their art just as change of politics made it increasingly difficult - even impossible - to practice it.

Nowadays, Fallada is not well known outside of Germany - possibly with the exception of the odd enthusiast, and I wager that even in Germany his books are true classics - meaning that people may remember some of his rat
Matt Kelly
I stumbled upon Hans Fallada this week with the re-release of three of his books. Then I noticed that one of these mini classics were by him so I thought I'd start there. Both stories revolve around his, presumably, real life struggle with addiction, one with morphine and the other alcohol. I can't wait to read more of his work, both stories were excellent.
Adam  McPhee
Old Hans just needs his fix. Behold:

I'm thinking about you too, sweetheart, long-lost sweetheart, I have a new sweetheart, she's called Morphine. She's angry with me, she makes life a misery, but she also rewards me more than I can fathom.
How limited you used to be, woman. I always reached past you and over you, I thought I'd reached you, but actually I was somewhere completely different … This girl, though, she gets under my skin. She fills my brain with clear, candescent light. I know that ev
Mark Easton
Twisting a misshapen day between the forlorn and existential abyss of addiction and the halcyon reverie of salvation, Fallada's short treatise is a brave yet hopeless ode to morphine. The volume's second story, Three Years of Life, is a dark tale of imprisonment and debasement, brought about by the anti-hero's grovelling addiction to drink.

Acutely journalling the tragicomedy of human existence, both stories offer little hope other than the woes of addiction can, with fortitude, be replaced by ot
Johnny Appleseed
Alex
Very evocative of true addiction - now I never want to read morphine. Still I wouldn't want to read it again.
Ryan
Two chilling accounts of addiction and how they can dominate a life.
Johnny B. Rempit
Very good insight into how the mind of a addict works.
Wendy-Divine Bryant
MARVELLOUS. Makes me wish I was a morphine addict.
Sidney
a grim but beautiful little sketch
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Glenn
Glenn marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Travis
Travis added it
Oct 21, 2014
Κώστας Βος
Κώστας Βος marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Ανδριαννα
Ανδριαννα marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Rellac
Rellac marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Grant Moorby
Grant Moorby marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Valmir
Valmir marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Vanda Alexandre
Vanda Alexandre marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Some Of Us Had Been Threatening Our Friend Colby (Penguin Mini Modern Classics)
  • Children On Their Birthdays
  • Red Rose, White Rose
  • Agamemnon's Daughter: A Novella and Stories
  • Hell Screen
  • The Tooth (Penguin Mini Modern Classics)
  • The Adulterous Woman
  • Why Translation Matters
  • Otogizoshi: The Fairy Tale Book of Dazai Osamu
  • Odour of Chrysanthemums
  • The Living Daylights
Hans Fallada, born Rudolf Wilhelm Adolf Ditzen in Greifswald, was one of the most famous German writers of the 20th century. His novel, LITTLE MAN, WHAT NOW? is generally considered his most famous work and is a classic of German literature. Fallada's pseudonym derives from a combination of characters found in the Grimm fairy tales: The protagonist of Lucky Hans and a horse named Falada in The Goo ...more
More about Hans Fallada...
Every Man Dies Alone Little Man, What Now? The Drinker Wolf Among Wolves Wer einmal aus dem Blechnapf frißt