Start by marking “Castro's Daughter: Memoirs of Fidel Castro's Daughter” as Want to Read:
Castro's Daughter: Memoirs of Fidel Castro's Daughter

Castro's Daughter: Memoirs of Fidel Castro's Daughter

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  13 reviews
As a little girl in Cuba, Alina Fernandez found nothing strange about the many visits Fidel Castro made to her home. During these visits, Castro would pay special attention to Alina, many times even bringing her gifts. At age ten, Alina's mother finally divulged the reason for Castro's attention: Fidel Castro was her father.
Published October 15th 1998 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Castro's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Castro's Daughter

Jenna
I don't know if a lot was lost in translation, but this was a little confusing and not really all that well written. That being said it was very interesting. She's definitively got an agenda, but I'm convinced that communist dictatorship is a really bad idea. Even if you call the dictator Dad.
Batya
This book was published in 1997. I traveled to Cuba in 1996 (when they were feeling the pinch of the Special Period) and in 2006 for the Havana Bienal, which put Havana on display at its best. In 2006, much had been or was in the process of being renovated, supported by foreign investors, and tourism was up, at least in La Habana Vieja. The people I met in Havana spoke surprisingly candidly about their hopes for their country and for themselves, but I never heard any of these horror stories. Som ...more
Ashlee
This book is about Alina Fernandez, one of Fidel Castro's illegitimate children, and her life growing up in Cuba during her fathers regime. To be completely honest this book wasn't that great or super interesting. I respect Alina for the struggles that she endured in her life, but in general the book was hard to follow and didn't have a strong sense of any timeline. It was like she was a baby and then bam she was talking about something else and you didn't know if she was now a toddler or a teen ...more
Waika Ivelisse
Mirando la Revolucion desde adentro. Desde el ojo de los privilegiados de la revolucion. Muy valiente la muchachita.
Katy Branson
I read this with my book club and found it very erratic. Fernandez paints a vivid picture of the horrors of Cuba under the narcissistic and brutal Castro. However, she falls short in weaving her own story in with that of her country. Her own narrative is bizarre, disjointed and confusing making her an unreliable narrator. An easy read and interesting for its portrait of Cuban life but not fantastic.
David Harrington
I found the subject matter very interesting, however I did find it confusing to read. I'm not sure if it was lost in translation or editing, but there were a lot of jumps that made it difficult to follow at times.
Jaynie
Interesting memoir from Fidel Castro's daughter. Even if only half of what she has written is true I can only wonder how people can survive and grow up in a country (with a leader) so bent on destruction.
Susie
Mar 07, 2008 Susie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love Latin America
Recommended to Susie by: a gift from Kim
Really good especially with all the news about Fidel Castro right now. The author relates a personal history with Fidel which is something we never really get to hear about. Good book. Short.
Millicent
agree with other comments - not particularly well written, however, very descriptive as a personal memoir - a backstory of a revolutionary....
if you have an interest in cuba - this is interesting.
Bridgette
This book provides amazing insight to living conditions in Cuba and to the pain any child feels when not embraced with love by their Father.
J.
The life and times of the number one illegal child of the regimen. Lucky to be the daughter.Other will be in the prison.
Will Keckley
She did not paint an empathetic portrait. Can the information within be trusted?
Kelly
I couldn't get in to this book. Never finished it.
Ahmet Koldaguc
Ahmet Koldaguc marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Tangeni Kaulu
Tangeni Kaulu marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Jeanne
Jeanne marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Cherie
Cherie marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Rakhee
Rakhee marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Mcscasam
Mcscasam marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Castro's Daughter: An Exile's Memoir of Cuba Una hoja de lechuga. Anorexia, Una enfermedad