Start by marking “Sons of the Wolf” as Want to Read:
Sons of the Wolf

Sons of the Wolf

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  748 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Ada and Harriet had never met anyone like Mr. Wolfson, the strangely magnetic, darkly funny man who was to be their new guardian. Who, confined to a wheelchair and flanked by two fierce dogs, both welcomed and intimidated the girls. And who had equally mysterious sons, Julian and Frances - one was as good-natured as the other was evil. But evil, as Harriet soon discovered, ...more
Published August 1st 1989 by Berkley (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Sons of the Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sons of the Wolf

Rosanna Leo
I dove into this book having read other books by Ms. Michaels and enjoyed this one as well. However, I went into it with the wrong ideas. I got the sense from the blurb and cover that this story was more of a paranormal romance. It isn't, for anyone who gets the same ideas. It is actually more of a gothic mystery with a little bit of romance thrown in (a little bit- no major swooning here), and hearkens to the works of the Brontes. We have moors, ruined abbeys and a family of mysterious men who ...more
Lindsey
Feb 13, 2012 Lindsey rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: romance fans, mystery fans
Recommended to Lindsey by: Dana
Shelves: singles
I have to say that this book wasn't quite expected, but I enjoyed it for what it was. The mystery was a bit predictable and some of the conclusions weren't that satisfying, but I had fun with the characters and appreciated the descriptions of the setting. I am unsure about the author's decision to have to the narrator relate the tale in a diary, thus forcing any action descriptions to be retold in a sometimes spurious manner. I guess it worked at one point toward the end, when we didn't know the ...more
Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading*
Sons of the Wolf reigns as one of Michael's darker, more serious works. Devoid of typical humor, atmosphere is different than usual, as is the turnout. Written with a meek Victorian tone and set in the repressed ages, the heroine Harriet is much like other characters in the novels, only a little more watered down with speech. (I suppose Michaels did this to stay truer to the setting.) This novel lacks the sophistication in some of Michael's other works, suffering from a depressed tone

Suffering f
Anemone Flynn
Sons of the Wolf by Barbara Michaels (also known as Elizabeth Peters) is a gothic romance set in the mid 1800s.

The narrative takes the form of a semi-regular journal kept by Harriet Barton. Harriet and her cousin Ada have recently lost their grandmother, who was also their guardian. Having run out of closer living relatives, they are sent to live with Mr. Wolfson, their very distant cousin, and his son Julian. Julian is pleasant, if not particularly bright, and assiduously courts the beautiful A
Michael
Nineteenth-century England! The mystery of the moors! Local legends of werewolves! Spoooooky!

Well, not really that spooky at all, actually. The story's formulaic and therefore predictable. The title and blurb (and to a lesser degree, even the cover) are somewhat misleading; if you're expecting a supernatural element, you'll be disappointed. But somehow I still found it enjoyable. This isn't one of the author's strongest books, in my humble opinion, but it's not bad, if you like the genre. (And I
Mya
There are some books that say a lot in just a few pages. A book here and there that immerses you in a time and place without being heavy on words and descriptions. "Sons of the Wolf" was exactly that type of book. A tale of two young women. Harriet, the sensible one and Ada, the beauty are sent to live with their mysterious, older relative whose job it is to tend to them until they are married. Mr. Wolf is quite the character, as are his two sons, Julian and Francis and early on, their motives a ...more
Vin9
Great Great Gothic novel. 1800's setting. A decaying castle in England moors. 2 young sisters from London. A brooding owner in wheelchair who may or may not be a wolf. His 2 sons as different as day and night. It has perfect ingredients of a gothic novel. And surprisingly this book mixes it very well.

Remember Castle of Otranto? Mysteries of Udolpho? Bride of Lammermoor. I was reminded of those books while reading this novel.

This novel I must say heavily underrated. It was written by Barbara Mich
Elbandito
Hack
i have loved Barbara Michaels since i first read this book years ago. i think it was one of her first, and the style reflects that. i also think that in her earlier books, she didn't know whether to classify books as Barbara Michaels or Elizabeth Peters (her other psudoname). i find it interesting to read the borderline ones and try to decide why one is Michaels and the other Peters. anyway, this book is a favorite with me because it was the first one that i ever read, and i adore this author.
Paula Hamand
Good characters

I love that the main character isn't beautiful and that it was difficult to figure out whom the real hero was. Although I got tired of romances a long time ago, I really liked this one.
Deanna
Another of the early Barbara Michael's novels, including great characters, twisty plots, romance, and some of the supernatural. I'm reading all her books over again, I like them so much. This one has much of the classic gothic horror novel about it -- she improved with time, so I gave it 4 stars instead of 5. I hadn't read this one before.
Karen
Oct 15, 2009 Karen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Karen by: Debbie Wilson
Definitely my favorite from an author who has never steered me wrong. Michaels is the queen of the gothic, supernatural, adventurous mystery with just a hint of proper mid-twentieth century romance. Every Barbara Michaels book is a must-read for me. I will add, however, that I do NOT like the books she's written as Elizabeth Peters.
Cassie Wawersik
I found this book at a flea market one summer and just bought it because it had a wolf in the title and cover and finished it in one day. This book started my love for all books written by Barbara Michaels. Just amazing read. I usually stay away from first person books because most authors can't write well in first person in my opinion but this diary styled first person was so good. I couldn't put it down.

The plot was slow to pick up a little, but within a few "chapters" the plot thickened and
Cher
I really like the bitter protagonist of this novel & the twists and turns the novel has already taken by page 20. This is only the second novel I've ever read by Barbara Michaels, but I already like this one better than the first, which I enjoyed as light reading, because it is just more intense, with higher stakes.
Cari
I've been on a huge gothic romance kick and when I saw that this book was included on a list of gothic romances, I was pretty excited. I'm usually a fan of Barbara Michaels and the blurb sounded pretty promising. Although I'd say this definitely fit the kind of books I've been wanting to read, I couldn't help being a bit disappointed by how dry it was. Barbara Michaels always tells a good story overall, but if there is one thing that I've consistently found lacking in her books, it's the ability ...more
Ptaylor
I found this early novel by one of my favorite writers, Elizabeth Peters. Published in 1967, it's set in Victorian England. Women have almost no rights, and, in the case of the two heroines, those who are supposed to protect them put them in the greatest danger. A Gothic novel. Recommended.
Emma Forsyth
I know if I went back and read it now, I'd probably find it cheesy, but as a teenager this book thrilled me! I loved the heroine, similar to Amelia Peabody in many ways, and the melodramatic teen girl in me just adored the gothic darkness of the setting and, of course, the romance!
3.5 stars. I found the ending to be a bit rushed, and a bit bleak. Also, a lot of the "mysteries" were quite easy to figure out. I definitely enjoy her work as Elizabeth Peters more, and would recommend those books before this one.
Lynn
Sons of the Wolf by Barbara MichaelsI've always found Barbara Michaels to be hit or miss. When she's in good form she has a beautiful turn of phrase, when she's in poor form she really misses the mark. Sons of the Wolf sits somewhere in the middle, not her most brilliant but far from her worst.
This one lured me in with its old school gothic premise and the novelty of being told entirely by the heroine's diary entries.
She sticks with all the expected genre tropes (maybe a little too rigidly) making the story somewhat predictable
Erica
I *think* I've read this one, but don't remember. I'm pretty sure I've read everything she's ever written under this pseudonym. (She's also Elizabeth Peters)
Teresa Edwards
Standard Barbara Michaels Gothic-light fiction; entertaining, well-written. Recommended if you're in need of a light, quick read.
Ladecca
This was my first Barbara Michaels book, I loved it and I've read all of them. They are all great.
M.
Sons of the Wolf are just that: the progeny of Harold Wolfson. They are Julian and Francis, who share their eerie home, Abbey Manor, with their father. Harold Wolfson becomes guardian of two young relatives, Harriet and Ada Barton, after the death of their overbearing grandmother. Their fears of Abbey Manor and their enigmatic guardian are soon allayed after they meet him and come to enjoy their new home.

This novel is told in the format of a diary, specifically that of Harriet Barton. It is an e
Abbey
Written 1968. Harriet and Ada, and their peculiar guardian, Yorkshire Moors 1856; gothic/historical suspenser, old-fashioned fem-jep. Entertaining, very early fem-jep historical suspenser from a now extremely famous writer not yet into her stride.

Before "Amelia Peabody" there were many similar heroines in Ms. Michaels/Peters' novels, and pretty much all of them were fun to "meet". In this very early-in-her-career gothic tale (now showing its age a bit, alas) Ms. Michaels uses the prototypical s
Jean
A true Gothic set in Victorian England. The cast: a beautiful heiress, the intelligent elder sister of the heiress, the crippled but charming guardian and his sons: one, the gentle, refined younger son and the other, the outspoken, sometimes drunken, oldest son. Throw in a manor, a ruined abbey, and gypsies and everything is set for the story. Being Barbara Michaels, the author throws in twists. This one kept me going to the very end.
Karen
One of the best "new Gothic" books I've read, with some tongue in cheek references and character description. Not the typical maiden in distress, although technically there are 2 of them.
Lizzie
More of a thriller than a gothic romance but enjoyable.
Katie
This is one of those books I was enjoying well enough, but then I got near the end and all the DRAMA started happening and it was all just too much for me. I even thought a little about not finishing it, but I was SO near the end.

Yeah. I just . . . I kind of knew what was going to happen, but I didn't really . . . understand all of it and all of the EVIL PLANS. And didn't really believe in the love story. (Come on, 2013, you owe me a good love story!)
Jennavier
Apr 26, 2015 Jennavier marked it as didn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
I feel like I can usually let the age of the books slide with Barbara Michaels. Sadly this book was too much for me. I was bored to tears and the style felt stilted.
  • Devil May Care
  • Daughter of Deceit
  • A Gothic Treasure Trove
  • The Lion Triumphant (Daughters of England, #2)
  • Thunder on the Right
Barbara Michaels is a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also writes as Elizabeth Peters, as well as under her own name.

She was born in Canton, Illinois and has written over fifty books including some in Egyptology. Dr. Mertz also holds a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in Egyptology.
More about Barbara Michaels...
Stitches in Time (Georgetown, #3) Ammie, Come Home (Georgetown, #1) The Dancing Floor Vanish with the Rose Smoke and Mirrors