Start by marking “Bun Bun Button” as Want to Read:
Bun Bun Button

Bun Bun Button

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  235 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Published October 27th 2011 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Bun Bun Button, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bun Bun Button

Okay for Now by Gary D. SchmidtA Monster Calls by Patrick NessWonderstruck by Brian SelznickDivergent by Veronica RothInside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai
Newbery 2012
123rd out of 168 books — 690 voters
Weird but True! 3 by National Geographic KidsPainter and Ugly by Robert J. BlakeNational Geographic Kids Ultimate Weird but True by National Geographic KidsThe LEGO Ideas Book by Daniel LipkowitzLEGO Harry Potter by Elizabeth Dowsett
Children's Choices 2012 (Young Readers 3-4)
30th out of 30 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Dec 27, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young children and Patricia Polacco fans; fans of grandparent-grandchild stories
Patricia Polacco has become one of my very favorite children’s picture book authors/illustrators. I’ve now read every book she’s written and illustrated. Historically, she comes out with two books each year, and for her last few books I’ve been waiting book to book, as I am caught up, and I’ll continue to look forward to any other books she creates.

I finally got this book from the library today; it’s one of a very few picture books that ever made it to my on-deck shelf. I’ve actually had opportu
David
Bun Bun Button by Patricia Polacco follows an adventure of a homemade stuffed bunny with a button nose, made by a grandmother for her beloved grandaughter.

Paige loves cuddling with Gramma and all of Gramma's pets in the Old Blue Chair. This special time becomes even more cozy when Gramma makes her Bun Bun Button, an adorable stuffed bunny with a button nose. A balloon carries the little bunny away, and Bun Bun braves honking geese and a wide night sky, until luck - or love - magically brings her
Teacher.
There is something magical in Patricia Polacco’s books. She creates a special story that draws people into the words and pictures. My very first years of teaching, I remember reading and falling in love with her work. Always popular in classrooms, Polacco writes for children’s imaginations, but also connects with adult readers. Her writing and messages are mature enough for middle grades, but innocent enough to make readers of all ages smile and imagine along with the characters. This is what we ...more
Dolly
Apr 29, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, pets
This is a sweet tale about a little girl named Paige and her grandmother. I love that the two spend a lot of time together and that the grandmother creates Bun Bun Button, a stuffed bunny from scrap fabric, for little Paige. We recently made sock bunnies from old mis-matched socks and our girls just love them. So I can see how attached Paige is to her Bun Bun Button. (view spoiler) ...more
Linda Lipko
Increasingly, I am drawn to the artistry of Polacco. There is a warmth in her stories that leaves the reader peaceful.

This is a lovely story of Paige and her grandmother. There is room for all in the overstuffed, large blue chair, filled with cats overflowing, books, and a grandmother who holds and reads to her beloved grand daughter. This book resonated because most recently, I spend time each night with our grand daughter Kayla and listen while she reads books checked out of her school library
Heidi
Typical Polacco illustrations. A nice ending to the book. (Maybe the child should learn to listen to the adult next time!) I don't understand why poor Bun Bun didn't get a bath, too. A good lap-read or real-alone choice, probably for a school-age since preschoolers or toddlers might find the book too sad at parts. (I did!!) Stories of lost toys always make me sad--and missing all my toys that did NOT come back to me! But I'm silly that way, and maybe the younger kids would be fine with it.
Olivia Jackson
This is a cute book to read to a class because most kids have that one stuffed animal or toy that they take everywhere with them. This would be a great book to teach text-to-self analysis.
Andrea Boyd
Anyone who has loved a precious teddy, or blanket or any item of affection will enjoy this book. It is a story of a girl who falls in love with a special stuffed animal that her gramma makes for her but then looses it while it is attached to a big red balloon. Most can remember the heart ache of watching their balloon float away, but Paige watches her balloon float away with her Bun Bun Button. The story is told in a way, along with the detailed illustrations that really makes you feel like you ...more
Josiah
What is it about Patricia Polacco's illustrations that conveys the emotions of her stories so well? She's not the most amazing book artist I've ever seen, though she is very good. I suppose that her illustrations are just another form through which she expresses the powerful emotions in her stories, so intangibly and subtly that it's difficult to pin down exactly how she does it. Patricia Polacco is a wonderful writer and illustrator, and I can't imagine the landscape of picture book literature ...more
Tiffany
Book Title: Bun Bun Button by: Patricia Polacco

Short Description of the Book:
Paige loves cuddling with Gramma and all of Gramma's pets in the Old Blue Chair. And when Gramma makes her Bun Bun Button, an adorable homemade stuffed bunny with a button nose, this special time becomes even more cozy. Then a balloon carries the little bunny away. Bun Bun braves honking geese and a wide night sky, until luck - or love - magically brings her back home to the little girl who loves her.

FOCUS: Narrative
Whole And
Aw, a deeply heart warming story of a young grand daughter that temporarily loses her grandma-made Bun Bun Button cuddle doll.

Grandma spending time with grand daughter, creating memories and lasting life lessons and impressions.

A wonderful book to cuddle up and read.
Candace Offutt
This is such a cute, heat-warming story about a Grandmother making a little bunny for her Grand-Daughter and it coming up missing. They search to find it and finally do. I think a lot of children could make connections with this story.
Alicia Scully
A girl and her grandmother have a very special relationship where they spend lots of time together. Grandma's house has lots of dogs, cats, and even a squirrel. The best part for the girl is Grandma's comfy blue chair where there is so much love. The granddaughter realizes that something's missing and she asked her grandmother for a stuffed friend and her Grandma makes her Bun Bun Button. When Bun Bun is taken away unexpectedly, they have to trust that love will bring her back. This book had way ...more
Giselle Avina
Bun Bun Button is a book about a little girl whose grandmother sews her a stuffed bunny, but then the girl loses the bunny when it flys away tied to a balloon. The next day, the bunny falls back down in the grandma's garden and everything is happy again. I liked this book because it reminded me of my own stuffed bunnies! I'm a college student and I still love my stuffed animals and this book gave me a glimpse of how I used to be when I was young. Although this book was cute, there wasn't much th ...more
Betsy
One of the things I like about Polacco's picture books is that they are great for the K-2nd grade group (and, sometimes, even older). In a world sometimes awash with toddler/preschool favorites, it's nice to pick up a picture book with depth, longer text, etc.

This one is interesting, though, because the storyline is really a younger storyline (special toy gets lost and then found). It makes it a perfect read for the experienced preschool listener as well as for those kindergarten+ kids who are s
Jackie
Bun Bun Button is another heart-warming, cozy story from Patricia Polacco. Paige loves her Gramma's house full of dogs, cats, love, and home-baked cookies. But, most of all, Paige loves the Old Blue Chair that they snuggle in to read and cuddle. Paige asks Gramma for a something to hold when she sits in the chair. Gramma gets out her calico cloth and presto! Bun Bun Button is born!

Paige holds tight and never lets Bun Bun Button out of her sight. But, when she ties the doll's arm to a helium ball
Christina Wallace
My daughter loves this book and so do I!
Julia Jasztal
(Mommy's review from 3/4/12)

We didn't like this one very much. My daughter and I both go back and forth with Polacco but, and I'm somewhat ashamed, we were kind of making fun here.
The illustrations and the story are both so-so, they don't suck, but Julia kept saying, "She should have listened. She should have listened." And, well, she's right. The kid should have listened. I couldn't argue with that.
This just isn't one that's memorable for us and we definitely wouldn't want to read it again.
A darling (ha!) story about a girl's favorite stuffed rabbit and his adventures. A great story for children who love their stuffed toys dearly. This is not, however, the best choice for a child who has recently lost a beloved toy as it will certainly inspire false hope.

I love Patricia Polacco! Her illustrations are charming and rustic, as usual. The story is lovely and will make a great bedtime story for preschool aged children.
LisaKaren
What a disappointment. I am a huge fan of Polacco, but this story was not up to her usual storytelling genius. It is a sweet story of a little girl's homemade gift from her doting grandmother, apparently based on a toy given to her by a young reader. It seemed to be a very personal story without the universal appeal and deeper message that make so many of her reflective and personal stories sing.
Wooden Horse
Inspired by a real story Bun Bun Button embarks on an adventure when the balloon she is tied to floats away from her keeper, Paige Elizabeth Darling. Paige's Grandma had made Bun Bun Button especially for her Granddaughter to snuggle with while they sat in the Old Blue Chair and read stories along with 2 mini schnauzer's, 5 Siamese cats, 1 goldfish (on the table) and a squirrel.
Maria Burel
In Patricia Polacco's Bun Bun Button, we meet Paige and the lovey her Gramma makes especially for her. Bun Bun Button travels everywhere with Paige, until the day Bun Bun's adventures take him a little bit too far. Inspired by one of Polacco's own experiences with a young reader, Bun Bun Button will resonate with any young child who has ever had a special stuffed friend. ...more
Marcie
Dec 26, 2011 Marcie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marcie by: Broomfield new books
I liked everything about this except the end. The illustrations, as always, are wonderful and I did think the repetative language would make it a nice read aloud. I just thought having the bunny magically fall at Gramma's feet was a bit too pat.
I did love the jacket note and worry that lots of kids will want to bring their beloved stuffed animals to author visits.
Scottsdale Public Library
Based on a real-life story told to Patricia Polacco by one of her young fans, this is the tale of an adorable stuffed rabbit who takes the ride of his life -- accidentally! Bun Bun Button is a Grandma-made bunny rabbit beloved by his owner. Everything is going well until one day he gets carried off by a balloon! Readers of all ages will find this story irresistible. - Karen
Sandybear76
The little girl visits her grandma often and they sit in the blue chair with the kitties and the dogs and a pet squirrel. The little girl asks for a something to hold while they snuggle in the blue chair. So Grandma makes Bun Bun Button and Bun Bun Button goes everywhere with the little girl. Till one day Bun Bun Button has his own adventure.
Shelli
The book was a solid three star book for me until the last page. Paige's grandmother bummed it to a 4 star book that made my voice crack when reading that tender statement aloud. If you want to know what it is though you will have to read the book :). Besides, Patricia Polacco books are always worth the time.
Ana
Read this as part of my library's very first "Stuffed Animal Sleepover". It complimented the theme quite well since it was the story of a little girl and her stuffed bunny (a lot more to it than that, but wouldn't want to spoil the plot!) and it seemed to be enjoyed by the kids.
Relyn
Sep 09, 2012 Relyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: little girls with favorite stuffies
Recommended to Relyn by: I love the author.
I love Patricia Polacco. I mostly love her older books, but I do love her. I think her newer books lack some of the emotional resonance her older books are so full of. If you read her books in order of publication, it feels a little bit like watching someone grow old. A little.
Kate Hastings
Pre-K to Grade 2. What child hasn't been warned NOT to take a helium balloon outside? In this story, a child ties his favorite new toy to the balloon and tempts fate. The balloon(and bunny) fly away... only to return home because they are a VERY lucky family.
Ashley Massa
Picture Book 42
Such a cute, and beautifully illustrated story! I think everyone can relate to losing your most prized possession as a child, whether it was a stuffed animal or blanket, so this story is very easily relatable! Good bedtime story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Little Pink Pup
  • Chopsticks
  • AlphaOops!: The Day Z Went First
  • My Garden
Thank You, Mr. Falker Pink and Say The Keeping Quilt Thunder Cake Chicken Sunday