Start by marking “Dork Covenant (Dork Tower, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dork Covenant (Dork Tower, #1)

Dork Covenant (Dork Tower #1)

Release your inner nerd with Dork Covenant, the first collection of the critically acclaimed comic book by cartoonist John Kovalic. From dragon-filled dungeons to star treks, from comic book conventions to internet naughtiness, Dork Tower is the comic that put the "cult" back into sub-culture. Join Matt, Igor, Ken, Gilly the Perky Goth and Carson the Muskrat in their uproa ...more
Published October 1st 2000 by Dork Storm Press

To ask other readers questions about Dork Covenant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dork Covenant

Patrick
Jan 10, 2015 Patrick rated it it was amazing
This is an interesting read for me.

For one, it's set in Madison, the city when I grew up.

For two, this first volume features comics that were written in the mid to late 90's, a time when I was firmly entrenched in the geek scene.

That was back when I had the time to play tabletop games, LARP, and play and trade Magic like a demonic spice merchant.

As such, it was really interesting to see this comic chronicling those times. Poking good-natured fun at each of those geek pass times. The humor mi
Matti Karjalainen
John Kovalicin "Dork Covenant: the Collected Dork Tower, Volume I" (Dork Storm Press, 2002) on hilpeä strippisarjakuva Mattista, Igorista, Kenistä ja Carsonista (joka on piisami), neljästä tavallisesta wisconsinilaisesta kaveruksesta, jotka harrastavat roolipelaamista, lukevat sarjakuvia, katselevat scifisarjoja, kiertelevät erilaisissa coneissa ja niin edespäin. Nörteistä on siis kyse.

"Dork Tower" nauraa hyväntahtoisesti alakulttuurin äärimmäisille piirteille, mutta suhtautuu aiheeseensa myös l
Stewart Tame
Dec 27, 2014 Stewart Tame rated it it was amazing
Ah, Dork Tower! How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. Practically overnight, gaming-related comics became a genre, with new titles springing up left and right. DT distinguished itself early. John Kovalic seemed to draw just a little bit funnier, his comic timing just slightly more impeccable. There's a rhythm to his dialogue, cresting in waves of humor that are pure delight to read. This is the book that started it all. See Matt and Gilly meet (sort of) for the first time! See Matt's first ...more
Melanie
May 31, 2013 Melanie rated it really liked it
I've been vaguely aware of Dork Tower for a while, but hadn't opened up any of the comics. If you're a gamer of any sort (even in the most casual way), something here will resonate with you. If you're any kind of dork (nerd, geek, whatever your preferred terminology), Dork Tower gets you. I have decided that I definitely prefer collections of comics to single issues. I'm not patient enough to wait for the next issue and my apartment is too small to house the stacks of books and comics that are a ...more
Narariel
Jan 31, 2016 Narariel rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
A collection of many of the early Dork Tower comic strips, the book is fun, portraying geek life with a light-hearted look. The introduction is fairly stupid if you don't have the same sense of humor as Dave Sim, but the rest of the book is definitely worth reading. Strips such as the aborted attempts of Gilly to meet Matt & vice versa, Igor trying wargaming, & a visit to "BigCon" all add up to a lot of laughter.
M—
May 19, 2011 M— rated it it was ok
Cute, but I'm not gamer enough to truly appreciate Dork Tower; I'm just geek enough to want to.

The game included at the end of the volume looked fun, but was sadly a three-person game discovered during a two-geek social situation.

Reading order: 1
Publication order: 1 (2000)
Chronological order: 1
James Bowman
Sep 03, 2015 James Bowman rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, comics
A collection of a gaming comic strip I first encountered in Dragon Magazine, and only thought was OK at the time. (Think of it like the halfway point between Shortpacked and Knights of the Dinner Table, but without the edginess of either.) I still don't think it's one of the best comic strips I've read, but it grew on me as I read it, so I'm happy with it.
Shane
May 30, 2007 Shane rated it really liked it
It says I've read this before but I don't remember and it's still pretty dang funny so i'm reading it now.

Yep total hilariousness. I love the goths they are great. This really helped me get through my gaming withdrawals. I haven't role-played in about a year except for at the last game-day event I went to about 4 months ago. I really need to geek out.
David
Jul 12, 2015 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, humble-bundle
this was written during the late 90s at the twilight of my role playing days. creates a warm fuzzy feeling for me and also brings about some very awkward times. a strong memory of afternoons lost at between books and figuring out what comes next.
Christian Petrie
Dec 05, 2014 Christian Petrie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic
Probably one of my shorter reviews, as there is not much to say. If you like Dork Tower here is a glimpse into the early days. The drawings a slightly different from today, but still as funny. If you are into RPG, gaming, and all around geek humor, you will love this collection.
Sophie
funny reading
Morbus Iff
Jun 25, 2012 Morbus Iff rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Meh. It hasn't aged well, and the whole goth thing was bOOoOring.
Mark Junk
Jan 11, 2015 Mark Junk rated it it was amazing
Wow this takes me back to my HS/College days. I loved every page!
Andrew Huey
Aug 23, 2015 Andrew Huey rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
A fun collection of Dork Tower comics!
Jill
Apr 09, 2014 Jill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic
Bought this on a whim and somehow ended up with an autographed copy.
Lady Entropy
Jan 08, 2012 Lady Entropy rated it liked it
The gang and the story is still getting in stride and while it lacks the complexity of Knights of the Dinner Table's storylines, it is endearing and funny and adorkable.
Jdetrick
Apr 27, 2014 Jdetrick rated it really liked it
Great and funny comic about role playing and all nerdery!
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Hilary Anderson
Hilary Anderson rated it really liked it
May 26, 2015
Cuellared
Cuellared rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2015
Jeroen
Jeroen rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Alex Robinson
Alex Robinson rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2008
Patrick
Patrick rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2010
Brenna Skirata
Brenna Skirata rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2013
Shane Moore
Shane Moore rated it it was ok
Nov 04, 2013
Benjamin
Benjamin rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2013
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2015
Simon Exton
Simon Exton rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Dungeon: Zenith - Vol. 2: The Barbarian Princess
  • Liberty Meadows, Volume 4: Cold, Cold Heart
  • Black Bart Says Draw: A FoxTrot Collection
  • On the Origin of PCs (The Order of the Stick, #0)
  • Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 06
  • Dumbing of Age, Volume 1: This Campus is a Friggin' Escher Print (Dumbing of Age, #1)
  • Doonesbury Dossier: The Reagan Years
  • User Friendly
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures, Vol. 1
  • Lenore:  Cooties
  • There Are No Stars in Brooklyn (Octopus Pie)
  • She-Hulk, Volume 2: Superhuman Law
  • MySpace Dark Horse Presents, Volume 1
  • Cows of Our Planet
  • Midnight Nation
  • Beg the Question
John Kovalic’s cartoons have appeared everywhere from his hometown WISCONSIN STATE JOURNAL (Madison, WI) to the NEW YORK TIMES and DRAGON MAGAZINE. His creations include the sell-out comic book sensation DORK TOWER and “DR. BLINK: SUPERHERO SHRINK,” as well as SNAPDRAGONS, NEWBIES, WILD LIFE, BEACHED, and panel cartoons including MURPHY’S RULES, THE UNSPEAKABLE OAF and others.

A co-founder and co-o
More about John Kovalic...

Dork Tower (10 books)
  • Dork Shadows (Dork Tower, Vol. 2)
  • Heart of Dorkness (Dork Tower, Vol. 3)
  • Livin' La Vida Dorka (Dork Tower, Vol. 4)
  • Understanding Gamers (Dork Tower, Vol. 5)
  • 1d6 Degrees of Separation (Dork Tower, Vol. 6)
  • Dork Side of the Goon (Dork Tower, Vol. 7)
  • DORK TOWER VIII Go Dork Go (Collected Dork Tower)
  • Dork Decade: The Dork Tower Ten Year Anniversary Color Collection
  • Tao of Igor (Dork Tower, Vol. 10)