Start by marking “Dork Covenant (Dork Tower, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dork Covenant (Dork Tower, #1)

Dork Covenant (Dork Tower #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Release your inner nerd with Dork Covenant, the first collection of the critically acclaimed comic book by cartoonist John Kovalic. From dragon-filled dungeons to star treks, from comic book conventions to internet naughtiness, Dork Tower is the comic that put the "cult" back into sub-culture. Join Matt, Igor, Ken, Gilly the Perky Goth and Carson the Muskrat in their uproa ...more
Published October 1st 2000 by Dork Storm Press

To ask other readers questions about Dork Covenant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dork Covenant

Watchmen by Alan MooreV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanBatman by Frank Miller
500 Essential Graphic Novels
351st out of 778 books — 562 voters
Nimona by Noelle StevensonHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas Siddellxkcd by Randall MunroeGirl Genius, Vol. 1 by Phil Foglio
Webcomics
183rd out of 200 books — 112 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrick
This is an interesting read for me.

For one, it's set in Madison, the city when I grew up.

For two, this first volume features comics that were written in the mid to late 90's, a time when I was firmly entrenched in the geek scene.

That was back when I had the time to play tabletop games, LARP, and play and trade Magic like a demonic spice merchant.

As such, it was really interesting to see this comic chronicling those times. Poking good-natured fun at each of those geek pass times. The humor mi
Stewart Tame
Ah, Dork Tower! How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. Practically overnight, gaming-related comics became a genre, with new titles springing up left and right. DT distinguished itself early. John Kovalic seemed to draw just a little bit funnier, his comic timing just slightly more impeccable. There's a rhythm to his dialogue, cresting in waves of humor that are pure delight to read. This is the book that started it all. See Matt and Gilly meet (sort of) for the first time! See Matt's first ...more
David
this was written during the late 90s at the twilight of my role playing days. creates a warm fuzzy feeling for me and also brings about some very awkward times. a strong memory of afternoons lost at between books and figuring out what comes next.
Mark Junk
Wow this takes me back to my HS/College days. I loved every page!
Jill
Apr 09, 2014 Jill rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: comic
Bought this on a whim and somehow ended up with an autographed copy.
Melanie
I've been vaguely aware of Dork Tower for a while, but hadn't opened up any of the comics. If you're a gamer of any sort (even in the most casual way), something here will resonate with you. If you're any kind of dork (nerd, geek, whatever your preferred terminology), Dork Tower gets you. I have decided that I definitely prefer collections of comics to single issues. I'm not patient enough to wait for the next issue and my apartment is too small to house the stacks of books and comics that are a ...more
Jdetrick
Great and funny comic about role playing and all nerdery!
Danno
A collection of comic books and comic strips by the guy who illustrated my favorite game series: Munchkin. The world of Dork Tower is a direct self review of what it is like to be a gamer: obsessed with new dice that always hate us, DMs who are too challenging, friends and their drama, and that one girl in every group we a fall in love with cause she is the only girl!
Shane
It says I've read this before but I don't remember and it's still pretty dang funny so i'm reading it now.

Yep total hilariousness. I love the goths they are great. This really helped me get through my gaming withdrawals. I haven't role-played in about a year except for at the last game-day event I went to about 4 months ago. I really need to geek out.
M—
Cute, but I'm not gamer enough to truly appreciate Dork Tower; I'm just geek enough to want to.

The game included at the end of the volume looked fun, but was sadly a three-person game discovered during a two-geek social situation.

Reading order: 1
Publication order: 1 (2000)
Chronological order: 1
Christian Petrie
Probably one of my shorter reviews, as there is not much to say. If you like Dork Tower here is a glimpse into the early days. The drawings a slightly different from today, but still as funny. If you are into RPG, gaming, and all around geek humor, you will love this collection.
Lady Entropy
The gang and the story is still getting in stride and while it lacks the complexity of Knights of the Dinner Table's storylines, it is endearing and funny and adorkable.
Morbus Iff
Meh. It hasn't aged well, and the whole goth thing was bOOoOring.
Michael
Michael is currently reading it
Jul 31, 2015
Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
James Nichols
James Nichols marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Theodor Öréus
Theodor Öréus marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Jody Stewart
Jody Stewart marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Kazel F Law
Kazel F Law marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Liberty Meadows, Volume 4: Cold, Cold Heart
  • On the Origin of PCs (The Order of the Stick, #0)
  • Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 06
  • Doonesbury Dossier: The Reagan Years
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures, Vol. 1
  • Black Bart Says Draw: A FoxTrot Collection
  • MySpace Dark Horse Presents, Volume 1
  • There Are No Stars in Brooklyn (Octopus Pie)
  • Spider-Man
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 4: Agatha Heterodyne and the Circus of Dreams
  • Positive Attitude
  • The Authority, Vol. 6: Fractured Worlds
  • Math Fables: Lessons That Count
  • Tales Designed to Thrizzle, Vol. 1
  • Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder, Vol. 1: In the Service of Angels (Witchfinder, #1)
  • The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck: Volume 2
John Kovalic’s cartoons have appeared everywhere from his hometown WISCONSIN STATE JOURNAL (Madison, WI) to the NEW YORK TIMES and DRAGON MAGAZINE. His creations include the sell-out comic book sensation DORK TOWER and “DR. BLINK: SUPERHERO SHRINK,” as well as SNAPDRAGONS, NEWBIES, WILD LIFE, BEACHED, and panel cartoons including MURPHY’S RULES, THE UNSPEAKABLE OAF and others.

A co-founder and co-o
More about John Kovalic...

Dork Tower (10 books)
  • Dork Shadows (Dork Tower, Vol. 2)
  • Heart of Dorkness (Dork Tower, Vol. 3)
  • Livin' La Vida Dorka (Dork Tower, Vol. 4)
  • Understanding Gamers (Dork Tower, Vol. 5)
  • 1d6 Degrees of Separation (Dork Tower, Vol. 6)
  • Dork Side of the Goon (Dork Tower, Vol. 7)
  • DORK TOWER VIII Go Dork Go (Collected Dork Tower)
  • Dork Decade: The Dork Tower Ten Year Anniversary Color Collection
  • Tao of Igor (Dork Tower, Vol. 10)
Dork Shadows (Dork Tower, Vol. 2) Heart of Dorkness (Dork Tower, Vol. 3) Livin' La Vida Dorka (Dork Tower, Vol. 4) Understanding Gamers (Dork Tower, Vol. 5) 1d6 Degrees of Separation (Dork Tower, Vol. 6)