Start by marking “Late Edition: A Love Story” as Want to Read:
Late Edition: A Love Story

Late Edition: A Love Story

A loving and laughter-filled trip back to a lost American time when the newspaper business was the happiest game in town.

In a warm, affectionate true-life tale, New York Times bestselling author Bob Greene (When We Get to Surf City, Duty, Once Upon a Town) travels back to a place where—when little more than a boy—he had the grand good luck to find himself surrounded by a b
Published July 7th 2009 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Late Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Late Edition

Janice
Aug 08, 2009 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My father used to bring the C-J home from work in the morning (he worked nights) and I couldn't wait for my turn to have the paper to myself. I always read the daily chuckle first and then the comics. I was absolutely fascinated with newspapers early. I loved going on vacation in the summer and looking a newspapers from other towns and other states. I loved the various type faces, layouts and columns, it was this fascination that led me to pronounce myself a "journalism major" early in High Scho ...more
Toddevans
Aug 03, 2009 Toddevans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All right, I'm biased. I grew up reading Bob Greene's columns in the Chicago Sun Times and Tribune. After he toured with Alice Cooper in the 70's and penned "Billion Dollar Babies" and "American Beat" I called his desk one day and he actually spoke to me. I was amazed that this published author took the time to talk to an interested college freshman and garage rocker.

I've already stated that Greene's "When We Get To Surf City" is a MUST read for anyone interested in the longevity of 60's rock mu
Nolan
Aug 13, 2015 Nolan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book, but it may make you sign onto your Hulu account so you can watch Lou Grant reruns.

While it's true that my short stins as a newspaper reporter happened in the early '80s as opposed to the late '60s, as was the case for this author, there were so many things I could relate to, including the magnificent strangeness of the newsroom. I have vivid memories of the presses vibrating through the entire building to produce an afternoon daily whose fortunes were already dying.
Andy Perdue
Oct 05, 2013 Andy Perdue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: journalism
I recall reading Bob Greene's book "American Beat" in college and being inspired to write like him. This book on his memories of his entry into the newspaper industry back in the cold type days is fascinating and delicious.

It struck home with me because I remember going to my dad's newspaper office as a kid. I can still smell the ink mingling with cigarette smoke. I can still recall the rumble and the giant press roared to life. We, too, were a two-newspaper family when I grew up. Everyone was.
Guy Priel
Feb 26, 2014 Guy Priel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I enjoy reading memoirs of journalists, because they so often trace my own journey as a journalist and this one handsome humorist moments. In an age of a dying profession, it is a refreshing journey down the road to finding fulfillment.
John
Aug 20, 2009 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read for those who grew up reading the CJ in Columbus. Many familiar names and places. Another Bob Greene gem.
Donald
Nov 23, 2010 Donald rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For something that is described as a "valentine" for a bygone age, there's an awful lot of complaining about the current state of newspapers in decline. Over. And over. And over. And over. And . . . Did he need to hit a certain word or page count and that's the reason for the insane repetition?

Some of things the author recounts about the newspaper business in the '60s are neat to read, but then he ruins them by saying, "They may not do it this way today, but that's how we did it then; we didn't
Lynn Pribus
A pleasant enough read. I freelanced for newspapers back when I mailed in the MS. I remember what a leap it was when I could submit to the mainframe downtown at speeds up to 1800bps. The slowest place I submitted was 300 bps. Took about 8 minutes to transmit a feature. They all had their special little codes and slugs.

Interestingly, we were in Columbus at the time he was working for the C-J while my husband got his MBA at OSU.

I found myself skimming a lot in the second half. Many of the little e
Cynthia
I wanted to really love this book. It's by a childhood hero of mine, who I read while growing up in Chicago, and who I knew a little bit. And I work at a small-town newspaper, not completely unlike the one he's describing here. But this book really fell flat for me. It was rambling and very minutely personal. It was repetitive and had a kind of naive aw-shuckness that is, admittedly, what has made him such a popular writer. But at the same time, you can tell he's so much smarter than the way he ...more
Patrick Nichol
Jul 30, 2011 Patrick Nichol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading Bob Greene's homage to his first newspaper job brought back a lot of memories for me.

I immediately identified with his pride at receiving his first byline, the first time he covered a national convention, and the first time his work appeared in another newspaper.

It reminded me of my time as an ink-stained wretch in many newspapers throughout the 80's and 90's.

Greene's book is also a refreshing look at a bygone era, all but replaced by "citizen Journalism," the Internet and Jon Stewart.

An
Keith McGowan
Nov 30, 2014 Keith McGowan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first, I thought the author would deliver a morose obituary on newspapers and how the world would soon come to an end as a direct result of their demise. Instead, the author provided thoughtful commentary on a profession he loves.

As our world transitions from delayed and limited flows of information printed on paper to unfiltered tsunamis of data transmitted around the world instantly on electronic screens, I would recommend this book to anyone who is concerned about the effects of this tran
Jen
Jan 25, 2013 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book calls itself a love story but I think it is more a Dear John letter. Greene has written his farewell to the newspaper industry as he knew it. Anyone who works at a newspaper now, or who used to work at a newspaper, ought to read this book. When he described the final night at the Columbus Citizen-Journal, I got teary-eyed, because I know that eventually, the printed newspaper will be a thing of the past, and I, like Greene, am sad to watch it go.
Tina Hamilton
Starts out with promise. Writer Bob Greene recounts his early days as a copyboy at a Columbus newspaper. Interesting to read how newspapers were put together in the pre-electronic age. However, the book suffers from just a bit too much of "the writing on the wall" (the death of local newspapers and newspapers in general).
Francine
Nov 08, 2012 Francine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm only on page 4 and already want to cry. Update: cried at the end too. I'm a kid who grew up in a newsroom, much like Bob Greene did (only 20 years later). A must for a journalists who care about the business and who remember pica poles, proportion wheels, newspaper hats, ad makeup, "touches" on first runs, ear plugs, and those little bars that catered to folks on their lunch breaks.
David Ward
Late Edition: A Love Story by Bob Greene (St. Martin’s Press 2009)(Biography). This is the next installment of Bob Greene’s multi-volume memoir of time spent working as an old style newspaper reporter in the 1950's in Columbus, Ohio. I love Bob Greene’s work, but this volume is simply not as engaging and compelling as his other publications. My rating: 6.5/10, finished 2010.
I have really enjoyed Bob Greene's other books and I used to work at a newspaper, so I thought I'd really like this, but it wasn't clicking with me. I have other books to read, maybe I'll try again another time.
Jb
May 07, 2010 Jb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I never worked for a daily, I did for a weekly. Greene's teenage reporting experiences reminded me of my own; how I came to love print journalism as he did. Yes, it was a thrill to see your first story in print.
Pluf
Aug 08, 2015 Pluf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful read about the death of newspapers in the US. His humorous anecdotes from his time at the Columbus CJ will take you back to a more simpler time before all the regulations, bureaucracy and lawsuits of today's world.
Rebecca
Aug 25, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio-memoir
I enjoyed Bob's stories of working at the Citizen-Journal in the early 1960s. There's even a shout out to our own Joe Blundo at the end.
Aileen
Mar 20, 2011 Aileen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book club book, interesting, but as someone who never really lived in the newspaper era, a little lost on me.
Lenore
Oct 04, 2009 Lenore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whether or not you're a Columbus native, this is a great story about the newspaper business. Greene knows the Columbus locale like no other, and is extrememly entertaining.
David Lawrence
David Lawrence rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2016
Marits
Marits rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Wesley Coburn
Wesley Coburn rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Mike Theo
Mike Theo rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2013
Jody Cain
Jody Cain rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2013
Grace
Grace rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Ted
Ted rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2009
Rgiusti
Rgiusti rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2013
Lupe
Lupe rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Robert Bernard Greene, Jr., who writes as Bob Greene, is a journalist.

More about Bob Greene...