Late Edition: A Love Story

Late Edition: A Love Story

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A loving and laughter-filled trip back to a lost American time when the newspaper business was the happiest game in town.In a warm, affectionate true-life tale,New York Times bestselling author Bob Greene (When We Get to Surf City, Duty, Once Upon a Town) travels back to a place where—when little more than a boy—he had the grand good luck to find himself surrounded by a br...more
Published July 7th 2009 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Late Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Late Edition

Toddevans
All right, I'm biased. I grew up reading Bob Greene's columns in the Chicago Sun Times and Tribune. After he toured with Alice Cooper in the 70's and penned "Billion Dollar Babies" and "American Beat" I called his desk one day and he actually spoke to me. I was amazed that this published author took the time to talk to an interested college freshman and garage rocker.

I've already stated that Greene's "When We Get To Surf City" is a MUST read for anyone interested in the longevity of 60's rock mu...more
Janice
My father used to bring the C-J home from work in the morning (he worked nights) and I couldn't wait for my turn to have the paper to myself. I always read the daily chuckle first and then the comics. I was absolutely fascinated with newspapers early. I loved going on vacation in the summer and looking a newspapers from other towns and other states. I loved the various type faces, layouts and columns, it was this fascination that led me to pronounce myself a "journalism major" early in High Scho...more
Andy Perdue
I recall reading Bob Greene's book "American Beat" in college and being inspired to write like him. This book on his memories of his entry into the newspaper industry back in the cold type days is fascinating and delicious.

It struck home with me because I remember going to my dad's newspaper office as a kid. I can still smell the ink mingling with cigarette smoke. I can still recall the rumble and the giant press roared to life. We, too, were a two-newspaper family when I grew up. Everyone was....more
John
A great read for those who grew up reading the CJ in Columbus. Many familiar names and places. Another Bob Greene gem.
Donald
For something that is described as a "valentine" for a bygone age, there's an awful lot of complaining about the current state of newspapers in decline. Over. And over. And over. And over. And . . . Did he need to hit a certain word or page count and that's the reason for the insane repetition?

Some of things the author recounts about the newspaper business in the '60s are neat to read, but then he ruins them by saying, "They may not do it this way today, but that's how we did it then; we didn't...more
Cynthia
I wanted to really love this book. It's by a childhood hero of mine, who I read while growing up in Chicago, and who I knew a little bit. And I work at a small-town newspaper, not completely unlike the one he's describing here. But this book really fell flat for me. It was rambling and very minutely personal. It was repetitive and had a kind of naive aw-shuckness that is, admittedly, what has made him such a popular writer. But at the same time, you can tell he's so much smarter than the way he...more
Lynn Pribus
A pleasant enough read. I freelanced for newspapers back when I mailed in the MS. I remember what a leap it was when I could submit to the mainframe downtown at speeds up to 1800bps. The slowest place I submitted was 300 bps. Took about 8 minutes to transmit a feature. They all had their special little codes and slugs.

Interestingly, we were in Columbus at the time he was working for the C-J while my husband got his MBA at OSU.

I found myself skimming a lot in the second half. Many of the little e...more
Patrick Nichol
Reading Bob Greene's homage to his first newspaper job brought back a lot of memories for me.

I immediately identified with his pride at receiving his first byline, the first time he covered a national convention, and the first time his work appeared in another newspaper.

It reminded me of my time as an ink-stained wretch in many newspapers throughout the 80's and 90's.

Greene's book is also a refreshing look at a bygone era, all but replaced by "citizen Journalism," the Internet and Jon Stewart.

An...more
Jen
This book calls itself a love story but I think it is more a Dear John letter. Greene has written his farewell to the newspaper industry as he knew it. Anyone who works at a newspaper now, or who used to work at a newspaper, ought to read this book. When he described the final night at the Columbus Citizen-Journal, I got teary-eyed, because I know that eventually, the printed newspaper will be a thing of the past, and I, like Greene, am sad to watch it go.
Francine
I'm only on page 4 and already want to cry. Update: cried at the end too. I'm a kid who grew up in a newsroom, much like Bob Greene did (only 20 years later). A must for a journalists who care about the business and who remember pica poles, proportion wheels, newspaper hats, ad makeup, "touches" on first runs, ear plugs, and those little bars that catered to folks on their lunch breaks.
David Ward
Late Edition: A Love Story by Bob Greene (St. Martin’s Press 2009)(Biography). This is the next installment of Bob Greene’s multi-volume memoir of time spent working as an old style newspaper reporter in the 1950's in Columbus, Ohio. I love Bob Greene’s work, but this volume is simply not as engaging and compelling as his other publications. My rating: 6.5/10, finished 2010.
Tina Hamilton
Starts out with promise. Writer Bob Greene recounts his early days as a copyboy at a Columbus newspaper. Interesting to read how newspapers were put together in the pre-electronic age. However, the book suffers from just a bit too much of "the writing on the wall" (the death of local newspapers and newspapers in general).
Jb
Although I never worked for a daily, I did for a weekly. Greene's teenage reporting experiences reminded me of my own; how I came to love print journalism as he did. Yes, it was a thrill to see your first story in print.
I have really enjoyed Bob Greene's other books and I used to work at a newspaper, so I thought I'd really like this, but it wasn't clicking with me. I have other books to read, maybe I'll try again another time.
Lenore
Whether or not you're a Columbus native, this is a great story about the newspaper business. Greene knows the Columbus locale like no other, and is extrememly entertaining.
Rebecca
I enjoyed Bob's stories of working at the Citizen-Journal in the early 1960s. There's even a shout out to our own Joe Blundo at the end.
Aileen
A book club book, interesting, but as someone who never really lived in the newspaper era, a little lost on me.
Vickie
Vickie added it
Aug 22, 2014
Bethany Fehlinger
Bethany Fehlinger marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Bonnieb
Bonnieb marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Guy Priel
Guy Priel is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2014
bookmammal
bookmammal marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Anthony Nesbitt
Anthony Nesbitt marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Robert Bernard Greene, Jr., who writes as Bob Greene, is a journalist.

More about Bob Greene...
Once Upon a Town: The Miracle of the North Platte Canteen Be True to Your School Duty:  A Father, His Son, and the Man Who Won the War Hang Time: Days And Dreams With Michael Jordan And You Know You Should Be Glad: A True Story of Lifelong Friendship