Start by marking “75 Years of the Oscar: The Official History of the Academy Awards” as Want to Read:
75 Years of the Oscar: The Official History of the Academy Awards

75 Years of the Oscar: The Official History of the Academy Awards

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  6 reviews
75 Years of the Oscar, newly updated, revised, and expanded, is the official history of the Academy Awards written by film critic Robert Osborne in association with the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. It begins with a general history of the Academy followed by the author's lively, decade-by-decade overviews of the accomplishments, trends, and events that occur ...more
Published November 1st 2003 by Abbeville Press (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about 75 Years of the Oscar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 75 Years of the Oscar

Miri
Grabbed this as I walked past a display at the library; not sure why, to be honest, as I've only ever watched one Oscars ceremony in my life and it was just last year. It was somehow less interesting than I thought it'd be, but maybe I was just turned off by being unable to lift the book off the table while I was reading it. Damn book weighs more than my coffee table.
CLM
This book was revised while I was working at Abbeville, and was a monumental achievement because it required so many permissions for all the photos. I think the editor, Owen, was ripping his hair out most of the time he was dealing with it, and since he left the firm I doubt anyone will ever be able to mastermind another edition. It is great fun to skim through annually, and think about my small part in getting it into bookstores and onto coffee tables.
Lindsay
this was so good i wasn't expecting ti to be so BIG but i LOVE Robert Osborne and classic hollywood and if you do also then this is for you. It was so highly detailed with wonderful photos in it. Bravo!
Yves
What a great reference book to have once a year when Oscar Season hits. I obtained a number of movie books as reference strictly because I am a bit of a movie buff.
Erin
Incredibly thorough and fun to browse for any Oscar lover. I'm ready for a new edition though....this one is a bit dated.
Robert
read different chapters many many times
DJay
DJay is currently reading it
Nov 12, 2014
Blerina Hazballa
Blerina Hazballa marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Susan
Susan added it
May 01, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Feb 05, 2014
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Gary
Gary is currently reading it
Nov 08, 2013
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
Monica
Monica added it
Aug 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Robert Jolin Osborne is an American actor and film historian best known as the primary host of the Turner Classic Movies (TCM) network since its inception in 1994. He formerly hosted films on The Movie Channel.
More about Robert Osborne...
85 Years of the Oscar: The Official History of the Academy Awards Academy awards illustrated: A complete history of Hollywood's Academy awards in words and pictures 50 Golden Years of Oscar: The Official History of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences Antonio Banderas 165 Success Facts - Everything you need to know about Antonio Banderas 65 years of Oscar:The official history of the Academy Awards