Start by marking “The Beast Within (Guardians of the Dark, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Beast Within (Guardians of the Dark, #4)

The Beast Within (Guardians of the Dark #4)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  468 ratings  ·  39 reviews
"New York Times"-bestselling author McCarthy teams up with Bianca D'Arc and Jennifer Lyon for a spooky, sexy anthology featuring a trio of superb paranormal stories about three men without boundaries.
Published September 1st 2011 by Brava (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Beast Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beast Within

Melissa
Melindeeloo
Though only one of the heroes is truly `beastly', The Beast Within offers three paranormal romance novellas from familiar authors Bianca D'Arc, Erin McCarthy and Jennifer Lyons. While I normally really like anthologies, this one was just okay.

A nightmare in which she dreams of a bride who is literally thrown to the wolves, causes a women who is engaged to the brother of the man who abandoned her and stole her money to reconsider her wedding plans. I really didn't like the dream sequences in Erin
Cindy
Loosely themed anthology with the usual ups and downs. Action based plots.

"The Howling" BY Erin McCarthy I can't review as I didn't read it. I really dislike the Russian folktale that is the basis of the term "throwing someone to the wolves" and since it opens with that I moved on the next one. I'm sure the author wrote it beautifully - she always does - it just wasn't for me.

"Smoke On The Water" BY Bianca D'arc was a good read - zombies and spies oh my! Our hero is the surly but well trained ag
Blodeuedd Finland
Plot:

Oh read the blurbs.

My thoughts:

I am going to make this short, it is always so hard to talk about short stories.

The Howling

I liked this one, but then I do like werewolves. There was Liv and her new boyfriend, but he is not really gone. There is a bit of action, betrayal, and hot hot passion. It was a nice short werewolf story that delivered what it promised.

Smoke on the water

This one was my least fave of the three. I can't say why, perhaps it was the zombies, I just can't think of sex when t
Lynda Tatad
With anthologies, it's sometimes hit and miss if you'll enjoy all the stories or not. With The Beast Within, I loved all 3 of these stories! They are all different, except that it takes a woman to tame the "beast within the man" in each . Erin McCarthy took a break from her Vegas Vampire series with the werewolf tale "The Howling", which deals with a young woman named Liv who is having nightmares about wolves. The man she thought she loved has disappeared and ran off with her money, according to ...more
Cecile
**This is a note that I only read and reviewed Ms. Jennifer Lyon's story.** The rest will come later...

Oh gosh, this is an amazing story. So amazing that I read it in one night... Yea, as in a few hours. I could not put down... I think my house could have been on fire and I would have not moved. This story rocks apples.

I mean you have Mira ~ a woman who is not afraid to stab a troll in the eyes with her keys, Gage ~ a wizard who's magic has kinda fried, some master wizard fighting to the death,
Linda
As reviewed on Read Our Lips:

Three shortstories, all with something more than man inside.
Erin McCarthys The Howling, Liv was played for a fool, deserted and skinned of all her money by the man she loved. His brother steps up and saves the day, comforts her and in return she finds herself accepting a marriage proposal. But something just doesnt feel right. Werewolves and smutty fluff, a great read.
Bianca D'arcs Smoke on the Water, Donna, a civilian immune to the zombie disease, teams up with the
Virginia
The Howling – Erin McCarthy (3 stars)

Synopsis - Liv Lugaru has been plagued by intense, recurring nightmares about wolves in recent months. Perhaps they are just a manifestation of her reservations about marrying the brother of the man who broke her heart, Sebastian. While she thinks that Sebastian stole all her money and abandoned her, the truth is that his brother tried to kill Sebastian in a power play to rule their werewolf pack. Liv is an unwitting part of that scheme, and now her former lo
E.
The Howling by Erin McCarthy: Brother Scarborough steps in when Liv Lugaru's boyfriend Sebastian apparently abandons her and steals her money. Little does she know she is a pawn in a werewolf power struggle that might not stop at murder. Nice depth to story with flashbacks to Liv's ancestress.

Smoke on the Water by Bianca D'Arc: Zombies trying to take over the world, naturally immune or immunized fighters trying to prevent it. Ok storyline, not a big zombie fan, probably better if more background
Mimi Arcala
Since I only liked 1/3rd of the book, I gave it 2 stars. I only liked the werewolf story. I couldn't wait to finish the book to say I actually finished a book, so I could move on to something else. Sorry, I wish I had more to say.
Colleen
For an anthology, this one stands up pretty well given that we're given novellas as opposed to true short stories. In my opinion, all three of these novellas are fun, quick reads. My one gripe might be that the word "beast" in the book's title typically implies that the heroes are shifters, but that is only the case in Erin McCarthy's werewolf tale "The Howling". My favorite is Bianca D'Arc's zombie-filled "Smoke on the Water"--although being familiar with that series could make me a bit biased. ...more
ms bookjunkie
I bought this anthology for the Erin McCarthy story, which I thought was okay. It's paranormal and I've only read her straight contemporaries, so it was a bit of an adjustment to read about werewolves in her voice. I'll be happy to read more…

I've never been attracted to the idea of zombie hunter stories (because things that go bump in the night totally creep me out!) but I really liked the Bianca D'Ark story and am hoping to come across more.

Jennifer Lyon's wizard story was also a positive exper
Sharon
Didn't read the second story, but read the first and third and enjoyed them!
Erika
Trite, dull and in need of an editor. Did not finish.
Patricia Wilcoxen
THE THREE SHORT STORIES IS THIS BOOK WERE RATHER GOOD SHORT BUT GOOD THE WOLVES THAT ERIN IS WRITTING ABOUT INT HE FIRST ONE IS REALLY KINDA BIZZARE BUT WE PUT TOGETHER. ROMANTICALLY SHE BRINGS BACK THE HEROINE HER MAN THROUGH WOLF FORM AND SHE DOSENT EVEN KNOW SHES WOLF TOO. THE 2ND STORY WAS INTRIGUING ITS THE FIRST TIME IVE READ ABOUT ZOMBIES BEFORE SO IT WAS EXCITING TO READ ABOUT ALL THE GORY DETAILS THAT THIS ONE ENTAILLED. THE 3RD WAS ABOUT WIZARDS AND IT WAS GOOD AS WELL MAAGIC IS ALWAYS ...more
Darcy
This book with 3 different stories ended up being a crap shot for me. I normally really like Erin McCarthy, but her story was just meh.... the weakest of the 3, and easily forgettable. Bianca D'Arc's story was a great one to continue her series that I just discovered a little while ago. I loved the chemistry between the couple even when they were fighting zombies. Jennifer Lyon's story was a little hokey, you totally knew what was going to happen but it was still a fun read.
Teresa
The four stars is for Erin McCarthy's "The Howling" and Jennifer Lyon's "Redeeming the Wizard". I really enjoyed those two stories.

However, "Smoke on the Water" by Bianca D'Arc stalled me out, I give it two stars. I almost didn't finish the book when I lost interest somewhere in the middle of that one. The villain in the story was a cliched "mad scientist" crossed with "woman wronged" and overall it read like a not funny parody of the zombie genre.
Anne
Three stories. Only one about "beasts." The first two stories, by Erin McCarthy and Bianca D'arc, were not bad, but they really had a lot of gratuitous sex.

The third story, by Jennifer Lyon, was the best of the three. The sex had a purpose, the characters were great, the plot good, the story was fun, interesting and I loved it. I don't normally care much for wizards and magic in my paranormal romance, so liking this one surprised me.
Michelle
I really liked this anthology.

Werewolves from Erin McCarthy, Zombies from Bianca D'Arc & Wizard's from Jennifer Lyon.

It was the first I've tried anything from Bianca and I really enjoyed it, I was surprised consindering it was about Zombies! Thankfully it wasn't a zombie romance ;)

Jennifer Lyon's tale was my favourite of the three, I would like to read more stories set in this world.
Silver James
This anthology gets four stars because Jennifer Lyon's entry saves the day. "Redeeming the Wizard" is full of magic, a feisty heroine who thinks she has none and the wily wizard who shows her that anything is possible with love. Or maybe it is Mira who convinces Gage that life is worth taking a chance on. The other two entries were enjoyable but not up to Ms. Lyons' contribution.
Elizabeth Cribb
I've seen the movie and now I've read the book. The movie I'd give one star but I really liked the book and gave it a four. I was hesitating between a four and a five so 4.5 would be appropriate. It takes a strong stomach reading some parts but it was well written and unbelievable that one human could do this to another.
Ellen
I only read "The Howling" and "Redeeming the Wizard" because I've read some of Bianca D'Arc's other stories in this series and didn't like them. I'll read it later.

I liked Redeeming the Wizard and reading Jennifer Lyon's work makes me sad that the publisher chose not to finish the Wing Slayer Hunter series.
~♥ Kat ♥~
I'm giving this one 4 out of 5 stars based souly on the the short stories by Bianca D'Arc and Erin McCarthy which where both very entertaining. I didn't care for Jennifer Lyon's short but have read some of her other books and enjoyed them. All in all a good fast read.
Ann  Lorz
All three stories are enjoyable but I have to say I enjoyed both Jennifer Lyon and Bianca D'Arc the most. There is nothing wrong with the McCarthy, it just wasn't as strong of a story as the other two are.
Connie
I liked all the stories in this book. Jennifer Lyon was a new to me author. I liked her story so much I'm going to pick up her Blood Magic and Soul Magic books!
Gee
Library

The Howling by Erin McCarthy ----- 3 stars

Smoke on the Water by Bianca D'arc ------ 4 stars

Redeeming the eWizard ------ DNF
Amy
Three stories in this book -- my favorite was "The Howling" by Erin McCarthy.

In this book, you'll find wolves, zombies and wizards.
Karmen
Loved the stories and the length is about all I can manage right now.

Werewolves, zombies and magicks/wizards oh my!
Marielle
The zombie story was so boring. And it just went on and on. The wizard story was fun though.
Wendy Gibbs
I really enjoyed all three stories. Looking forward to reading more by all 3 authors.
  • Dead Alert (Guardians of the Dark, #5)
  • Bad Boys Of Summer
  • Half Past Dead (Includes: The Blades of the Rose, Prequel; Guardians of the Dark, #1)
  • Belong To The Night (The Long Island Coven #2)
  • Haunted by Your Touch  (Doomsday Brethren #3.5, Moon Chasers, #4.5)
  • Forbidden Magic (Wing Slayer Hunters, #4.5)
  • First Blood (Includes: Laws Of The Blood, #5.5; Vegas Vampires, #5; Vampire Babylon, #2.5; The Guardians, #3.5)
  • Running Wild (Wild,  #1-3)
  • The Real Werewives of Vampire County (Guardians of Eternity, #8.5)
  • Supernatural (Lords of Deliverance, #1.5; Demonica, #6.5; Guardians of Eternity, #7.5; Nightwalkers, #1.5; Dragon Kin, #0.4)
  • House of Dark Delights (Hidden Grotto, #1)
  • Captive Spirit (The Dark Crescent Sisterhood, #4)
  • Instinctive (Eternal Pleasure, #1)
  • The Bodyguard (Includes: T-FLAC, #14.5)
  • Men On Fire
  • Moon Burning (Children of the Moon, #3)
  • Baddest Bad Boys
  • Holiday with a Vampire II
USA Today and New York Times Bestselling author Erin McCarthy sold her first book in 2002 and has since written almost fifty novels and novellas in teen fiction, new adult, and adult romance. Erin has a special weakness for New Orleans, tattoos, high-heeled boots, beaches and martinis. She lives in Ohio with her family, two grumpy cats and a socially awkward dog.
More about Erin McCarthy...

Guardians of the Dark (5 books)
  • Once Bitten Twice Dead (Guardians of the Dark, #2)
  • A Darker Shade of Dead (Guardians of the Dark, #3)
  • Dead Alert (Guardians of the Dark, #5)
Flat-Out Sexy (Fast Track, #1) Hard and Fast (Fast Track, #2) True (True Believers, #1) High Stakes (Vegas Vampires, #1) Hot Finish (Fast Track, #3)