Start by marking “How to Get Out of Your Own Way” as Want to Read:
How to Get Out of Your Own Way

How to Get Out of Your Own Way

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  516 ratings  ·  72 reviews
Actor, singer, songwriter Tyrese Gibson crafts a memoir filled with every emotion and life experience one could possibly imagine. With personal experiences paired with reflective questions based on his extremely popular blog piece, "The Love Circle", Tyrese hopes to inspire readers to pursue their dreams and not let life's obstacles stand in the way.

HOW TO GET OUT OF YOUR
Published April 7th 2011 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about How to Get Out of Your Own Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Get Out of Your Own Way

Shanae
"How to Get Out of Your Own Way" by Tyrese Gibson deserves a solid 3 stars. I chose to bypass the chapters on men, women, and intimate relationships because I know that Gibson does not think the way I do and, therefore, I chose not to aggravate myself by reading his thoughts on male-female interpersonal relationships. However, I did read a little bit of the chapter where Gibson advised women to "talk" the fathers of their children into behaving like fathers, which is by far the most inane thing ...more
Khalid Scott

Gibson's: How To Get Out of Your Own Way
A few months ago I saw Singer, Actor and Model Tyrese being interviewed on Windy City Live and he peaked my interest when he started to discuss his recent New York Times best selling book "How To Get Out of Your Own Way!"

When I went searching to buy the book, I looked at the cover and said to myself, what could this guy tell me to motivate me to be a better man and person, so I passed up buying it. Fast forward to May 3, 2012, I had passed one of my cert
Vickie
This book is very basic and common sense. He is not giving you much advice that you havent probably already heard before. You can get the same type of advice listening to a preacher or talking to your mom or a good friend. There wasnt much in this book that was very deep or revealing of new information that I havent already heard before.

This information is so basic like for example stay away from negative people, forgive others and stuff like that. Who hasnt heard that before in some form or fa
Stacey Marie Robinson
Sister Souljah. Omar Tyree. Iyanla Vanzant. John Singleton. Eckhart Tolle. Terry McMillan. These are the handful of writers who have influenced me through their words over the years. Influenced me in my decisions and ideologies, my passions, and my goals. After reading "How to Get Out of Your Own Way" I can now add Tyrese Gibson to this list.

It didn't take me long to read this book. In fact, in less than a day, I was engrossed in his words from start to finish, and closed that book with a litera
Reading in Black & White
Title: How to Get Out of Your Own Way
Author: Tyrese Gibson
Rating: 3
Headline: Self-Help or Biography?

I was excited to read what was marked as a biography by singer/actor Tyrese Gibson, but to my disappointment, it came off more as a self-help book. Gibson shared some insights into his life before the now infamous Coke commercial that started his career at the age of 16. When Gibson wrote about life in Watts and the dysfunction within his parent’s marriage those were the best chapters of the book
Manuela
I think in the end, you still don't have a sense of who Tyrese is, and how he got himself out of his own way, and why I should read this book. Lots of preaching and advice, and page filler of similar information, but no depth, no real sense of who Tyrese was, and is. His real experiences are what readers want to know about, so they can learn from that, not from his recycled advice that I am sure every young kid who gives this book a chance has heard already. I understand he is a private person, ...more
Andrea Lewis
Once I started reading "How to Get Out of Your Own Way" I could not put down the book. I was deeply engrossed. Not because it was Tyrese the entertainer, but Tyrese the human being. Shedding his personae and getting real about life.

He tackles subjects that have been swept under the rug and regardless of one's background. Dysfunction knows no boundaries. Tyrese is a portal to bring this to the light.

Tyrese is part of a movement to take responsibility of our own happiness. In my opinion, it could
Amanda Kitchens
I was excited to read this book and was very let down by it. The writing was poor, the chapters were all 30-50 pages long and I don't know about you but I don't like stopping in the middle of a chapter. The chapter about his "childhood" was irrelevant to the rest of the book. I felt like he took quotes from other people and copy and pasted them into these pages. Not original and didn't tell me anything I haven't heard 1000 times before.
Joe D.
I'm not big on self-help books but this one made for interesting light-reading. Tyrese Gibson, for those of you who don't know, is a major film actor and singer. Although, he makes it clear from the beginning that he didn't write this book for a "pat on the back", but because there were a lot of people out there who needed to hear it.

There's a lot of useful advice in here for those looking to help themselves be stronger, and better people. For example, I think one of the best talking points Tyr
Shoshanah
I'm pretty sure that I'm not the intended audience for this book. I did guess that going it, but I figured I'd at least give it a chance. Who knows, they may have been pieces I could connect with. And while there were items that made sense, overall I think if I was a teenager living in the ghetto or one without a lot going for me, I would have appreciated this a lot more.

For me, I think the worst parts were the chapters on cheating. Basically Tyrese's viewpoint is that all men cheat and it's pre
Adrienna
Tyrese Gibson shares his life trials and triumphs. There was a friend, Sameer, who planted the seed to get his mojo going to write the book. We need the push, encouragement, or someone to put it in us to go forth. Later, there was Angie who saw the good in him regardless of the madness. God has created some of us to see this in people we meet, and hopefully it will stir something inside of them to pursue their dreams, goals and make it a reality! We need to have a heart for others from the very ...more
Krys (Black & Write Reviews)
Since I started reading this book I had tabs on nearly every page marking favorite quotes. Needless to say if I was to copy all them down I'd need more than a page to get them all written. So unfortunately (fortunately) you'll have to read this book to read the rest of them. Although, I have seen many of the author's films, and heard a multitude of his songs countless times, I was quite interested in seeing what he had to write about. After reading numerous tweets from readers from all walks of ...more
Travis Smith
I was super excited when I saw that I won this on first reads. I’ve been a fan of Tyrese since I saw him in the movie Baby Boy. So I was very happy to get his book and read about what his life has been like. It is a book written to inspire the reader to look at their own life and see if they are able to do something to make their own lives better. It is written as a series of questions that you have to ask yourself, which tyrese answers for himself based on his own life experiences. Seeing how e ...more
J. Madison
I love this book. Tyrese is open & honest about his shortcomings as a person. He tells you exactly what he is thinking & that they are all only his opinions. He brings about new ways to look at life! I love his faith & determination to live his life on his own terms! My favorite parts are his selfishness views & his top 5 approach!

Tyrese has more insight into the world of money than I thought he would share which is inspiring! I like that even in telling you his point of views h
Sylvester Birdsong
Wow...Very, powerful insightful my brother.

I would like to recommend this book for my family and friends twice while 'reading this I became emotionally overwhelmed to the point of tears. You will enjoy these life lessons from this young writer. Much respect Sylvester peace to your Twitter followers.
Grace
There is some really great advice in this book. I do wish he there was more of Tyrese in it than just his advice, but none the less, a good read. I did start tuning out at the cheating chapter, mainly I felt like there was not mention of personal responsibility, just the general "men will be men", as if they have no willpower. I understand the difference between men and women, but it came across at least to me that people are just skin-deep. And from a someone who has a strong faith, I honestly ...more
Kim Potts-Walker
Nice read

This one took a little longer to read I would take a break start over it took a month to complete and once I did it was a good read..
Nissab
All ready read I liked it very much...... very good..... made me think and change many things in my life.....
Drew Tate
Helped me. At times egocentric, but if you can disregard those moments there are plenty of great messages
Ayo
So good & so real. Like having a long talk with an awesome big brother!
Sean McCormick
His life story is remarkable, and he has some very wise things to say about love and relationships, but unfortunately the rest of the endeavor falls flat under the weight of clichés and self-contradictory pseudo-philosophy. I have no doubt of his sincerity in writing about the lessons he has learned, but if all our problems could disappear if we just "get out of our own way," we wouldn't need lessons.
Overall the advice in the book is self-centered humanism with a vaguely Christian gloss. Tyrese,
Roslinda
Surprisingly, I liked this book. He's not a psychotherapist, he's an actor/singer, so don't read it expecting anything more than that. It was like sitting with a friend who's giving you positive advice. If you go into it thinking nothing more than that, you may enjoy it. I never really thought of Tyrese, I don't like him or dislike him, but after reading this, I have to say it did give me a new found respect for him. If you're looking for something to give a little positive uplift, give this boo ...more
Michelle
Wonderful story of Tyrese Gibson's life and the motivating factors that lead to his success and fame. Very relatable to anyone's life and the factors that cause many of us to stand in our own way and not live the life we want to. He discusses how our fears can stop us dead in our tracks from doing what we meant to do.
He could have stayed in the rough neighbourhood where he was but instead choose to fight his way to celebrity status and doing something he enjoys for a living.
Chris
Served its purpose for me. Was in a motivating mood. The only chapter that bored me was the cheating portion. The repeated messaging and less examples did it. Everything else held my attention quite firmly. Written as if you were having a one-on-one conversation. Found his childhood memories and mentors highlights of he book. Impressed and looking forward to the book in which he is to partner with Reverend Run, touching on manhood.
Rpleshette
I think thought this was a very good book. He is no psycologist or psychiatrist, but I think this can fall in the category of self help book -- and a good one at that. I would advise people against taking everything in this book as gospel (particularly the stuff on why men cheat). But Tyrese does a very good job of making you think about your life and how you might be holding yourself up from the life you want.
Lucimar
Tyrese breaks it down for us, saying everything we've already (maybe subconsciously) known, but PUTS IT IN OUR FACE to cause action!!!

If you are ready to take an honest look at yourself, your life and the choices that you've made that have put you in a holding pattern, this book will change your life. If you are not ready to take honest inventory of the choices you've made in life, move onto something else.
Nikki J.
Loved this book. I read it as I was going through the process of publishing my own book, and it was confirmation for just about everything that God was preparing me for! Its a must read for everyone, but especially if you are trying to be successful. This book will help you begin to transform your thinking so that you don't self sabotage your blessings.
Anna Khamsini
Ok I might be partial because I love tyrese the singer and actor but I give him credit - it was a decent self help book. I think he held back a lot in sharing his personal experiences but I can understand he is In the public light. Tyrese - if u read this thanks for the advice about taking a look at the top five people In your life. ;-)
Desirae
Aug 07, 2012 Desirae rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone ages 18+
This book is beyond AWESOME!!! You have a mirror in your face the whole time reflecting on how you treat yourself and how you set yourself up for most of the things that happen to you. I definitely took notes. I wanted to highlight, but it was a library book, so I plan on purchasing so I can do just that. It's worth reading over and over!!
  • The Wealth Cure: Putting Money in Its Place
  • One Day It'll All Make Sense
  • Super Rich : A Guide to having it all
  • The Little Black Book of Success: Laws of Leadership for Black Women
  • Prepared for a Purpose: The Inspiring True Story of How One Woman Saved an Atlanta School Under Siege
  • Never Make the Same Mistake Twice: Lessons on Love and Life Learned the Hard Way
  • The Bond: Three Young Men Learn to Forgive and Reconnect with Their Fathers
  • Keep The Faith
  • Lost and Found: Finding Hope in the Detours of Life
  • The Twelve Universal Laws of Success
  • Produced by Faith: Enjoy Real Success without Losing Your True Self
  • The Tanning of America: How Hip-Hop Created a Culture That Rewrote the Rules of the New Economy
  • True You: A Journey to Finding and Loving Yourself
  • An Angry-Ass Black Woman
  • Nappily in Bloom (Nappily, #5)
  • Peace from Broken Pieces
  • Straight Talk, No Chaser: How to Find, Keep, and Understand a Man
  • Girl, Get Your Money Straight: A Sister's Guide to Healing Your Bank Account and Funding Your Dreams in 7 Simple Steps
Tyrese Darnell Gibson also known simply as Tyrese, is an American R&B singer, rapper, actor, former fashion model and MTV VJ. After releasing several albums, he transitioned into films, with lead roles in several Hollywood releases. He also is now a member of the sensual group trio: TGT (featuring Tyrese, Ginuwine, and Tank).
More about Tyrese Gibson...
Manology: Secrets of Your Man's Mind Revealed Manology: Secrets of Your Man's Mind Revealed The Fast and the Furious 2 Waist Deep Signs Of Love Makin'

“Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.” 2 likes