Start by marking “Big Girls Don't Whine: Getting on with the Great Life God Intends” as Want to Read:
Big Girls Don't Whine: Getting on with the Great Life God Intends

Big Girls Don't Whine: Getting on with the Great Life God Intends

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  108 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
No one wants to be labeled a whiner, but many of us go through life with a "poor me," victim mentality that sounds a whole lot like whining. God never intended for us to act like "little girls," says Jan Silvious. His goal is for each of us to live as "big girls"-mature Christian women-who are capable of enjoying the richness of life He has planned.

In Big Girls Don't Whine
Published December 31st 2003 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Big Girls Don't Whine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Girls Don't Whine

Lorena Walker
I don't why but a lot of the times this book was annoying to me-I guess the repetitiveness of the word "big girl." I do agree with a lot of what the author saids but I think the author needs to understand that its okay sometimes to not be a big girl. You can not always stay completely strong-sometimes you have to cry and let out your frustrations-noone should expect you to be perfect-not even God does. Anyway, i read ALMOST the whole thing but I think I had enough of the big girl stuff!
Carla Still
Apr 09, 2011 Carla Still rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has been a wonderful book to digest. The comparisons between the Little Girls and the Big Girls help me identify where I am in the growing into the Big Girl process. Jan Silvious shares many insights of her journey and communicates clearly how we should behave to be a Big Girl. This both was both encouraging and challenging. She addresses issues that face both Little and Big Girls.
Patti Kimzey-bojorquez

This is one of my favorite books of all time! Jan Silvious is a master at getting the point across without preaching at us. She makes her point well. Through her personal experiences, she teaches us to be better wives, Moms, sisters, daughters and friends by helping us to be Big girls when things don't always go our way. I think this is a must read for young women everywhere.
Rachal T
The author gave a lot of examples of the growing process from a little girl to a big girl. Most of which I could not relate to on a personal level in my twenties. There was value in the broader examples and friendship level of examples how big girls can inspire those around them.
Regina Gadad
Mar 01, 2016 Regina Gadad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is sentimental to me because it was my very first MOPS book when I entered the club. We watched a video along with this book during our meetings. I don't remember any of it as my MOPS leaders were busy chatting up a storm. ^_^ However, it held up my chin, and told me "Hey, don't be such a grump. You're all grown up now. You're a mom!" I met 2 friends in this group who I consider amongst my closest buds. So yeah, this was a good book. ;)
Mirabella-Paulcia Peach
I loved this book,it spoke to me, it said to me'grow up' in a mild but firm manner. It took me quite a while to be done with it because i took my time gradually sipping into its essence.This book is a must read for young women like myself. I'm proud to be a transitioning "BIG GIRL" .
Dot
Jun 11, 2012 Dot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
Loved this book! It has discussion questions at the back for a deeper study. Lots of great "reality checks, Biblical truths and encouraging "Big Girl Truth to Live By" boxes through out. My favorite and probably toughest one to digest was, on page 13, "Until you take responsibility for yourself, you cannot become all God hopes you will be."
Leslie
May 05, 2008 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt this had a good amount of basic information for acting like an adult and letting go of childish behavior. What I did not like as much was the choice of using paraphrases for the Biblical quotes instead of translations: almost all from The Message and The Amplified Bible.
Meaghan
Jun 05, 2011 Meaghan rated it liked it
Fun book to read with a group. Not sure if I would stick to it on my own though. I finished this book and it is very much worth reading. Still doing group meet ups on it,so I am excited to talk it over with my group.
Bri
What HAVEN'T I learned from this book? I keep rereading it, in hopes that I will keep getting closer to maturity and being a real "big girl!" Because, let's face it, I still whine . . . quite often . . .
T
Aug 04, 2014 T rated it really liked it
There was a lot of information to digest in this book. Surely every Christian woman would benefit from reading it.
Cindy Lofgren
Some chapters very relevant. A good read and made for good discussions in my moms group.
Lisa
Sep 01, 2008 Lisa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Life
Marla Madden
Apr 06, 2013 Marla Madden rated it it was ok
OK
April Vaughan
April Vaughan marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Stephenie
Stephenie marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Cristy
Cristy added it
Apr 18, 2016
Kayla Woodhouse
Kayla Woodhouse rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Emillie Carson
Emillie Carson rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
A Robinson
A Robinson marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Amanda Camargo
Amanda Camargo marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
booklearner
booklearner marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Lynda Elkin
Lynda Elkin rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Kyra
Kyra added it
Jan 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Confessions of a Good Christian Girl: The Secrets Women Keep and the Grace That Saves Them
  • What Are You Waiting For?: The One Thing No One Ever Tells You About Sex
  • Love and Respect for a Lifetime: Gift Book: Women Absolutely Need Love. Men Absolutely Need Respect. Its as Simple and as Complicated as That...
  • Can I Have and Do it All, Please?
  • 12 'Christian' Beliefs That Can Drive You Crazy: Relief from False Assumptions
  • Quitting Church: Why the Faithful Are Fleeing and What to Do about It
  • Marriable: Taking the Desperate Out of Dating
  • A Beautiful Offering: Returning God's Love with Your Life
  • Ms. Understood: Rebuilding the Feminine Equation
  • The Church of Facebook: How the Hyperconnected Are Redefining Community
  • Enough: Discovering Joy Through Simplicity and Generosity
  • Healing the Soul of America: Reclaiming Our Voices as Spiritual Citizens
  • How to Succeed at Being Yourself: Finding the Confidence to Fulfill Your Destiny
  • Meditations from Conversations with God
  • Little Platinum Book of Cha-Ching: 32.5 Strategies to Ring Your Own (Cash) Register in Business and Personal Success
  • Generation Iy: Our Last Chance to Save Their Future
  • Chakra Balancing: A Guide to Healing and Awakening Your Energy Body [With Cards and Workbook and 2 CDs]
  • Juicy Writing: Inspiration and Techniques for Young Writers