Start by marking “The Bears' Picnic” as Want to Read:
The Bears' Picnic

The Bears' Picnic (The Berenstain Bears Beginner Books)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  543 ratings  ·  38 reviews
The quest for picnic perfection will delight readers in this classic Beginner Book edited by Dr. Seuss. When the Berenstain Bears set out to find the perfect spot for a picnic, Father Bear says he knows just the place. But each ideal location turns out to be a complete disaster, with a train roaring past or hordes of mosquitoes. At last they find a place with no pesky crow ...more
Published February 9th 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published August 12th 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Bears' Picnic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bears' Picnic

Kirei
This book is so funny! Father Bear keeps picking out the "perfect" picnic spot, and something always goes wrong. Mother Bear has the same expression on her face that I get when my husband spends half an hour picking out the "perfect" place to eat lunch.

My son immediately realized something was wrong with this book: "Where's Sister Bear?" "This was before she was born," I said. Then I showed him the copyright date--1966. "That was before I was born!" I told him. So this is indeed one of the class
Barbara
In one of Stan and Jan Berenstains early reader books Papa Bear keeps trying to find the “perfect spot” for a picnic. Every time the family settles in to eat some kind of disaster happens whether it’s too many people invading the picnic spot or an army of mosquitoes flying in to picnic on the bears! Papa keeps his “can do” attitude, however, and even under a deluge of rain he still has a plan to find the “perfect spot”. The “perfect read” for beginning readers who are reading 2-4 sentences per p ...more
Kim T.
Hilarious! This story was so funny.

What I Loved:

Papa Bear was so well-intentioned, but things always seemed to go haywire.

Mama Bear's expressions were priceless. (Hahaha...)

Brother Bear was so encouraging; he totally believeed his dad could do no wrong, even as he was subjected to all of the boggled attempts at finding the perfect picnic spot.

This book was a hoot and a half! Seriously.

I secured this title from my local library.
Karen
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week.

I've never been a fan of Berenstain Bear book. They tend to be so saccharine that my stomach hurts, and they usually thump me over the head with a moral so hard they I end up with a headache. So why did this book make me laugh?

The answer is in the copyright date -- 1966. I am so sorry that the Berenstains did not stick to writing their stories like this one, and drawing their bears not like the ones on the cover but like the o
Connie
I have no idea why the Berenstains gave up these funny early readers for moralizing tales!

Modern day Berenstain bear books aren't as good as the older ones, that's for sure. Go on too long, and they all have a treacly moral at the end, and they're just not funny.

This is one of the original. Now, the cover there shows the newer, cutesified bears, but inside it has the old illustrations - with claws!

Anyway, the story progresses just about how you'd expect. Papa Bear wants to go on a picnic, every
Pam
I love the rhyming adventure in this story, and how the mom gets sick of the dad's shananigans at the end, and they end up picnicing in the kitchen - and HE takes credit for it. Really enjoyed rereading this one!!
Melanie
This one was a favorite of mine growing up. My daughter likes it, but not as much as I did. That's okay, I still have time to read it to her and show her how funny it all is.
Jessica Robinson
I was a HUGE Berenstain Bears fan as a child and I love re-reading these books. I have them all saved for my own children.
Heather
These books are great. I love the way they rhyme, and they are very interesting.
Audryaunna
Sometimes the best place to have a picnic is where you would least expect it.
Justin
so many places that got ruined by something
Lauren Brown
The Bears' Picnic is labeled to be a Beginner Book that can be read by the young student all by themselves, however I definitely feel that this book needs to be more towards the end of 1st grade. It is a very cute book with funny illustrations and cute rhyming text. It has a really nice flow to it, so it would be a great book to work on fluency with students.
Dolly
Jul 21, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
Shelves: 2010, childrens
As I read this book to our girls, I had a flashback to reading it as a young child. I remember it quite vividly and I am sure that I read it several times. It's a funny story, and Father Bear, as usual, is stubborn and always picking the wrong place to go for the family picnic. Our girls really enjoyed this story too; it's a classic that has aged well.
I just read this book to my four-year-old and almost-two-year-old daughters, and I could tell they loved it as much as I did as a kid! This was one of my favorites growing up. How could one picnic go so wrong? I love the expressions on Mother and Brother Bear as things progress from bad to worse. This is a fun read for all kids!
Katharine
The second book my son read completely on his own, after Hop on Pop. He judged the book by the cover, and wasn't interested at first. But as we started to read, he loved the silly story and we've read it several times now. Very good for early readers, I only helped with a couple of words such as "ought".
Megan Ekins
A book full of rhyming and it is just a fun story about an adventure the family goes on to find the perfect picnic spot. The only thing I didn't like is how unhappy the Mom seemed on the adventure. I wanted her to be enjoying it too!
Val
While browsing my library's Overdrive site I noticed that many of the Berenstain Bears books are now in ebook format. I was thrilled to check out and read this lovely book all over again, reminding me of how much fun this series can be!
Catarina
Everytime I researched children books these bears appeared do I decided to check a book or two to see what all the fuzz was about.
I found the book cute and funny, and I liked it that it rhymed. It's a cute children's book.
Jaime Contreras
I kept thinking "Why would bears not be at home in the forest?" But, then again, these are the sophisticated Berenstein Bears. This is a rather quirky but funny adventure.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
My first Berenstain Bears book - and I'll have to go back for more. Lovely rhyme, lovely story, lovely illustrations.

The mosquitoes look vicious!
Caralee
I think this book has a special place in my heart when I read it to my son. I LOVED it as a child and remember wearing it into the ground!
Ledawn
Papa Bear can't catch a brake and Mama silently follows him through this miserable day until she grabs Small Bear and heads for home
Netanella
Papa Bear is never satisfied with the location of the picnic and gives new understanding to why some women never marry.
Markus
Mama Bear's facial expressions are priceless in this book. I like the old Berenstain Bears so much better.
Julie
A silly, rhyming book that takes readers on a journey that seems as though it will never end!
Sheri Rose
I don't usually review children's books, however this is a favorite of all of my children :)
This was a cute Berenstain Bears book. Papa Bear, as usual, just can't get a break.
Kim
wonderful illustrations, simple and rhyming text

themes: bears, food, picnics
Mischa
one of my favorite berenstain bears as a kid...loved the pictures
  • The Shape of Me and Other Stuff
  • Oliver
  • Biscuit's Big Friend
  • The Berenstain Bears: Sick Days
  • Happy Birthday, Thomas! (Thomas & Friends)
  • Shoo, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #3)
  • Flap Your Wings
  • Robert the Rose Horse
  • The Best Mistake Ever! and Other Stories
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • The New Adventures of Curious George
  • Good Families Don't
  • Shoes from Grandpa
  • Please Try to Remember the First of Octember!
  • The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat
  • No More Monsters for Me!
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears Beginner Books (8 books)
  • The Big Honey Hunt
  • The Bike Lesson
  • The Bears' Vacation
  • The Bears' Christmas
  • The Bears' Almanac
  • The Berenstain Bears: The Bear Detectives
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Missing Dinosaur Bone
The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School Inside, Outside, Upside Down The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV