Start by marking “Eden Burning” as Want to Read:
Eden Burning

Eden Burning

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  968 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Paradise calls to Chase Wilcox. A man of science fascinated by the rebirth of life in the wake of cataclysmic natural upheaval, he is drawn to the lush beauty of the island of Hawaii and the secrets it holds—while escaping the destruction of his own personal world. Here where warm breezes caress the skin and vibrant colors assault the senses—and where dangerous fires rage ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by William Morrow (first published April 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Eden Burning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eden Burning

Alexis-Morgan Roark
Pack-it-up
I really loved the passion in it, but every thing that happened was so unfair! The female heroine I felt, didn't get vindicated in any way. The overall pain and heartache she endured on her end was proportionately more than what the male character experienced. Elizabeth Lowell tried hard to show that the emotional pain her male hero caused was acceptable by having him chase after her desperately, but after reading the womans reaction and resulting trauma, it just didn't cut it. This book left me ...more
Miki
Nov 18, 2015 Miki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rather good example of not-exactly-exactly-purple-but-definitely-a deep-shade-of-lavender prose. By the end I was so very tired of "silken depths" and "gold satin skin", of "rugged but tender expert hands" and "steel-hard muscles". Good grief. AND, in Hawaii, everything in nature is the size of someone's hand...butterflies, leaves, flowers, you name it. That got old really quick.

The main male character is not only a volcanologist, but an extremely talented bongo drummer. (Seriously, when's the l
Rose
Oct 27, 2010 Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another beautiful novel by the amazing Elizabeth Lowell. Like her book, "Beautiful Dreamer", Eden Burning is full of powerful wording that produces vivid imagery. Nicole "Pele", is a stunningly beautiful dancer/artist/assistant who dances with a fiery passion that only Lowell's words can do justice to. I didn't give this book 5 stars because although I truly enjoyed Nicole as a character, I have to admit, her character was a bit unbeliveable. It seemed almost impossible that someone sensual,beau ...more
Kendall Bracamonte-Johns
Apr 14, 2016 Kendall Bracamonte-Johns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: delete
Well, this started as a hard read. In a whole week, I completed only two chapters. The main protagonist, I think, Tess is a fifteen year old naïve wonder child. She has an unfortunate racial calamity in I think 1920. I'm not too sure of the date, as Ms Plain makes it difficult to date a character's timeline. More to come....

I finally finished the story and it was wonderful. it was the writing that made it such a difficult read. Run on after run on sentences flourished with so many adjectives per
Dreamer
Sep 06, 2015 Dreamer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite Lowell books, with Beautiful Dreamer being my absolute top.

Lowell writes romances that aren't that boring even if they are a bit predictable, but there is something beautiful and poetic about this one.

I kind of wish I knew what happens to Lisa and Benny when they grow up.
Diane
Hawaii is the setting for this romantic tale by Elizabeth Lowell. You can see, feel and smell the romance! A strong hero and a lovely heroine, both bring baggage that only love can heal. What more can you ask for?

Makes a wonderful beach, or snowbound, read!
Jennifer Adams
Sep 05, 2014 Jennifer Adams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cassy
Mar 19, 2009 Cassy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Crystal Bennett
May 08, 2014 Crystal Bennett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet and steamy. Absolutely transports you.
Sara
very good. good love scenes
Brenda Fronsee
Aug 31, 2014 Brenda Fronsee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
romantic, enthralling
Kayla Walker
May 17, 2013 Kayla Walker rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Im giving this a one star just to show i rated it so low but should be a zero in my books! Extremely disappointed i have skipped over the whole book and basically read only the dialogue and even that is totally cheeserific! Truly a terrible book way too much detail its boring as hell and how they speak to eachother? Soo corny! But i will finish it only to find out what happens although even that is predictable
Carol
Sep 26, 2010 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The nformation about volcanoes was very ineresting, but the characters were much less so. This was a re-writing on one of the author's older stories, and in many wasy was an example of how our taste in characters has changed over time. For the first half of the book, the hero was an overbearing, pigheaded, asshole and the heroine was a wimp. It took too long for them to move past my first impressions.
Lesli
Jul 14, 2010 Lesli rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2002
Not EL's best work and probably not her worst -- though it IS the worst I’ve read of her stuff. I borrowed it from the library and read it while on the elliptical. It was good workout material, but I wouldn't have read it otherwise. Disappointing, but I'll read more of Ms. Lowell's stuff (or the books she and her husband write as Ann Maxwell).
Courtney
May 03, 2012 Courtney rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I honestly found this book annoying. The characters were so cut and pasted from a million other romance novels out there as was the basic storyline. I felt the only redeeming quality was the amazing life that was written into the landscape. It made me want to go to Hawaii right that very minute. Maybe with a different book for the beach, though!
Carroll
Dec 28, 2013 Carroll rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a light, silly story set in Hawaii. I purchased it at the Philadelphia airport and threw it away at the Fargo airport because it was too bad to even pass on.
Bev
Well, this was one of the bargain books on tape I got from the library. Cheesy romance to the core. A million different versions of "He burned for her, ached for her" and the like...I can't believe I listened to the whole thing!
C K
Oct 10, 2012 C K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an author that I have read a lot of and have added her books to my 'keeper' book shelf. Most I have read at least twice and some even more than that. Always in depth characters that anyone can identify with on some level.
Kari
Jan 27, 2012 Kari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2012
According to the author's note at the end of the book, this is en extended and rehashed update of her original book, Fires of Eden. Not a bad book. Some of the comparisons to volcanoes and fire goddesses got a bit tiring after a while.
Heather L
This one started out slow and I wasn't liking the hero at all, but he did manage to redeem himself by the end. Strong heroine, but the character I found most fascinating was that of the seething volcano, Mount Kilauea.
Season
Jul 10, 2012 Season rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kind of skimmed this one. I never could really get into it. Not sure why, but just didn't really interest me.
Adèle
Sep 10, 2013 Adèle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it was ok, not one of her best. I didn't really get into the characters like I usually do with Elizabeth Lowell.
Janet Horton
Jun 10, 2013 Janet Horton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy all of Lowell's books. There is adventure, mystery, romance and laughter. What is not to like!
Marianthi
Apr 17, 2016 Marianthi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Hero's cynicism was just too much. I hated him from page 1 and never got past it.
Betty Avant
Mar 17, 2009 Betty Avant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
tipical boy meets girl book, but the setting is interesting and it held my interest.
Dianna
Sep 24, 2012 Dianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gave it 4 stars, but probably more of a 3 1/2. Fairly nice light read for the most part.
ElaineY
Aug 16, 2008 ElaineY rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was just too horrible to read more than a couple of chapters.
Marion
Sep 27, 2008 Marion rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
not much meat in this book but i did shed a few tears.
  • The Diamond Tiger
  • Man of Ice
  • Something Wild
  • Living in Sin (Living In..., #2)
  • Beguiled (Clan Mackenzie, #4)
  • Finding Home
  • Variation on a Theme
  • Notorious
  • Seduced into the Greek's World
  • Saving Sophie (The Bodyguards of L.A. County, #7)
  • The Forever Dream
  • Flirting With The Competition
  • The Best Mistake: A Selection from Love Comes Along
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one work of non-fiction. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. Her novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery. After working in contemporary and historical romance, she became an innovator in the genre of romantic ...more
More about Elizabeth Lowell...