Start by marking “The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture: The Effect of Early Christological Controversies on the Text of the New Testament” as Want to Read:

Victors not only write history: they also reproduce the texts. Bart Ehrman explores the close relationship between the social history of early Christianity and the textual tradition of the emerging New Testament, examining how early struggles between Christian "heresy" and "orthodoxy" affected the transmission of the documents over which many of the debates were waged. He ...more
Published July 8th 2011 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture

Candace
Ehrman's thesis in this book is that many of the textual variants that are found in the manuscripts of the New Testament are the result of intentional changes to the text on the part of the scribes who copied the texts. He contends that the scribes made these changes to the text as a result of, and in response to, the various Christological disputes of the second and third centuries and he analyzes several variant readings with this contention in mind.

While I agree with Ehrman that the scribes
Fred Kohn
Jan 08, 2014 Fred Kohn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Put on notice by the author that this book contained technical discussions, I was prepared for a difficult read. In fact, the book was largely free of technical jargon. I suppose my knowing a bit of Greek helped, but I can't imagine even not knowing Greek being an impediment for a reasonably dedicated reader. Being put on guard by another reviewer that this book was "seriously flawed," I read it more closely than perhaps I might have otherwise. Armed with my 21st edition of Novum Testamentum Gra ...more
Thomas Simmons
Seriously flawed. Was expecting a work of scholarship and got a lot of hot air. The 'evidence' is largely spurious, seriously limited in scope and the author draws conclusions from a lack of actual substance. C.E. Hill (Who Chose the Gospels) and others have basically had to put this work into the category of pop fiction.
james spellman
Mar 06, 2017 james spellman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Variations on the truth?

A very complex study of textual variations from the early centuries after Christ and possible motives. Is what we 're a d what was written? Is our interpretation correct or are we led to believe a variation on the theme? Mind boggling and to some degree, scary.
Eric
Sep 20, 2007 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people humoring other people
Shelves: christian
A friend sent me a complementary copy of this as evidence for the intentional manipulation of early Christian manuscripts for the purpose of stamping out the numerous heresies that plagued the nascent church. There's a run on sentence, phew, sorry. Breath, in out.

The evidence is compelling, but it's not particularly disconcerting. Regardless of what happened to 3rd/4th century copies of the Bible, our modern translations revert to older sources that are not tainted by these manipulations. While
Cera
Oct 25, 2010 Cera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grazed
A very interesting look at the way in which battles over 'correct' Christology shaped the text of the New Testament. This is written primarily for scholars working in the same field of textual criticism, so it has the benefits & drawbacks of being extremely meticulous, down to detailed discussions of New Testament Greek grammar. Ehrman is, luckily, aware of this, and structures each chapter with a more general opening and introduction, so that readers like myself can skim more lightly over s ...more
Sharman Wilson
Ehrman lets you know up front that most of this book is written for Bible scholars. He encourages the rest of us to read the introduction, read the beginnings and summary of each chapter, skimming as desired thru the meat of the chapters. I tried to read it cover to cover, but after the first chapter I decided to take the author's advice and thus got a lot more out of it.

His thesis is that as orthodox scribes copied out new manuscripts of the Bible, they felt obliged to add, subtract, or tweak w
Alicia
Sep 10, 2008 Alicia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
There were some parts of this book that I thought were great and other parts that were long and the arguments seemed like kind of a stretch. The parts of this book that I really like talk about the different things that different groups of early Christians believed. Something we don't hear about very much in church are that early followers had some very different ideas about things that what has become mainstream today. The parts of the book that I didn't enjoy as much were the parts where he ar ...more
Dave Maddock
Oct 20, 2008 Dave Maddock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
The methodical, detailed nature of this book is both its greatest advantage and weakness. At its heart, the book builds up a strong case for orthodox scribal alteration of the New Testament through the sheer weight of examples it presents. Fundamentally, it is easy to see how this approach is critical to the persuasiveness of the argument if one reads his popular rewrite of this material in Misquoting Jesus.

However, the minutiae of Greek grammar and its misuse is only as interesting as the part
Frank Bella
Mar 15, 2015 Frank Bella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was not easy reading, as it is actually written for New Testament scholars, but the research by Bart Ehrman is very diligent. He is a historian who is an expert in ancient languages such as Greek and Aramaic. The average reader should try "Misquoting Jesus", also by Ehrman.
Cliff
Jan 24, 2008 Cliff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people into the NT tradition
Recommended to Cliff by: John Hall
A good read on New Testament Textualism. Ehrman has taken the place of his mentor Bruce Metzger as the authority on the subject. However, Bart certainly has a theological bias that permeates the work and colors some of his conclusions...caveat lector.
John Alvord
Dec 16, 2016 John Alvord rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the level of his scholarship is beyond reproach, still Ehrman belies a tendency to grind his axe against his ultra-conservative religious upbringing, as do many of his later, better known books.
Michael Brady
Jan 07, 2016 Michael Brady rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, religion
"It is never easy from the historian's perspective, to determine whether the text led Christians to embrace a doctrine or whether doctrine led Christians to modify the text."

One of Ehrman's three best books on the subject of early Christianity.
Brett
Nov 21, 2011 Brett rated it liked it
An interesting book as a scholastic (non-lds) study of the beginning of the apostasy. Some sections are difficult to get through
Tony
Jul 03, 2012 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading 'Misquoting Jesus' I picked up this and one other book by Bart Ehrman; 'Forged'
For a review of why I like his books read the review under 'Misquoting Jesus'.
Jared Nuzzolillo
MUCH better than Misquoting Jesus. There are far fewer grandiose claims and far more scholarly research than Misquoting Jesus.
Diogenes d'Mayberry
A more scholarly read, not necessarily for general knowledge.
Jon Sedlak
Dec 24, 2012 Jon Sedlak rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read the book Revisiting the Corruption of the New Testament by Wallace. It clearly refutes a lot of claims and exaggerations found within this book by Ehrman.
Toney
Toney rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2017
John  Ervin
John Ervin rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2009
Rob
Rob rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2014
Robert Sewell
Robert Sewell rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2013
Naomi Baker
Naomi Baker rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2013
Michel Gagné
Michel Gagné rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2014
Lee
Jan 10, 2008 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating!
David Hauntz
David Hauntz rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Cody
Cody rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2012
Shelly
Shelly rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2017
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption & Restoration
  • The Incredible Shrinking Son of Man: How Reliable is the Gospel Tradition?
  • A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus, Volume I - The Roots of the Problem and the Person
  • The Five Gospels: What Did Jesus Really Say? The Search for the Authentic Words of Jesus
  • From Jesus to Christianity: How Four Generations of Visionaries and Storytellers Created the New Testament and Christian Faith
  • Jesus Wars: How Four Patriarchs, Three Queens, and Two Emperors Decided What Christians Would Believe for the Next 1,500 years
  • The Rise of Christianity: How the Obscure, Marginal Jesus Movement Became the Dominant Religious Force in the Western World in a Few Centuries
  • An Introduction to the New Testament
  • The Story of Christian Theology: Twenty Centuries of Tradition Reform
  • The Jesus Puzzle: Did Christianity Begin with a Mythical Christ? Challenging the Existence of an Historical Jesus
  • The Christians as the Romans Saw Them
  • The Godless Constitution: A Moral Defense of the Secular State
  • The Early History of God: Yahweh and the Other Deities in Ancient Israel (The Biblical Resource Series)
  • Synopsis of the Four Gospels
  • A History of the Christian Church
  • Jesus Was a Liberal: Reclaiming Christianity for All
  • James the Brother of Jesus
  • The Myth of Persecution: How Early Christians Invented a Story of Martyrdom
Bart D. Ehrman is the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor at the University of North Carolina (UNC) at Chapel Hill. He came to UNC in 1988, after four years of teaching at Rutgers University. At UNC he has served as both the Director of Graduate Studies and the Chair of the Department of Religious Studies.

A graduate of Wheaton College (Illinois), Professor Ehrman received both his Masters of Div
More about Bart D. Ehrman...