Start by marking “Angel Creek” as Want to Read:
Angel Creek

Angel Creek

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In her new falling-down home, in her new street, in her new suburb, Jelly waits for high school to begin. She can only feel happy up in the branches of the old apricot tree and by the creek at the back of the house. One night, Jelly and her cousins spot something in the creek’s dark waters. At first they think it’s a bird, but it isn’t…it’s a baby angel with a broken wing. ...more
Published February 28th 2011 by The Text Publishing Company (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Angel Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel Creek

Froi of the Exiles by Melina MarchettaBurn Bright by Marianne de PierresEnticed by Jessica ShirvingtonBlood Song by Rhiannon HartHades by Alexandra Adornetto
2011 Aussie YA releases
14th out of 56 books — 189 voters
Plague of Angels by John Patrick KennedyCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareAngelfire by Courtney Allison MoultonStrange Angels by Lili St. Crow
Books with Angel In the Title
26th out of 159 books — 76 voters

More lists with this book...

Precious
Originally posted at Fragments of Life.

This was my first Middle Grade book dealing with angels. It was refreshing to see angels in this light. I was used to reading about angels looking like human beings, talking and interacting with people as if they belonged in this world. The angel in Angel Creek was far from this version. It was less human, more animal.

Jelly and her two cousins disobeyed their parents and went to the creek one night. There, they found the most incredible thing: a baby angel
Jenny / Wondrous Reads
Angel Creek is a really lovely book that I only wish had been longer. It's set in Australia and is about 12-year-old Jelly and her cousins, Pik and Gino, who find a real life angel in the local creek. It's been likened to David Almond's The Skellig but, honestly, I think I preferred Angel Creek.

Angel Creek is one of those stories that moves slowly but surely, leaving clues all the way through. The angel itself is described brilliantly and I would have loved to see an illustration of it. All the
Skye
This review is also posted on my blog, In The Good Books.

Angel Creek was a short, sweet, middle-grade novel about the consequences of taking things from where they belong that perfectly encapsulates the innocence of childhood.

The spare prose easily evoked the young voice of our main character, Jelly. The setting was vividly described and atmospheric -- completely realistic. Our characters weren't all fleshed out and didn't have too much depth, but their motivations were easily understood.

Beyond
Book Angel Emma
Review by Shelly

This is a cute short little book that wonders what it would be like if you found a baby angel. This is what happens to Jelly, Gino and Pik on Christmas Eve in the suburbs of Melbourne, Australia. Once they find it though what should they do with it and why is it here? Also why do bad things start happening to the family?
This is a very easy read with quite a simplistic story line but one that takes in a lot of different issues. The author touches on loss, heartache and many family
Becky
Alright, so my review will eventually be up over at the Fiction Files (http://thefictionfiles.wordpress.com/), but here is a little thought that I had that I didn't think fit the kind of review I was writing for the blog.
On a slightly academic note, there is one character I find especially interesting, and that is the boy who shows up first with the bullies, and then again whenever Jelly is most in need, but is not actually named until the last couple of pages of the book. His name turns out to
Tanja
Loved, loved, loved it! So happy I finally got to read the story after having waited several years from when I first heard Sally Rippin read an early draft of the first chapters to our fifth graders in Ghana. She was such an amazing author and illustrator to have on campus. Beautiful story about family and friends, belonging and finding out who you are. The very special cast of characters will stay with you long after you have closed the book, I guarantee.
Nicole
Liked this one a lot. Loved the name of the main character "Jelly". Really liked that the angel wasn't the stereotypical beauty ...she was a screecher and clung to Jelly scratching when it was afraid.

Nice resolution. Easy read, so accessible even for less able Stage 3 readers. Would make an interesting Readers Circle text for Term 4 Year 6 as it deals with transitions/rites of passage including moving to new neighbourhood, and getting ready for high school.

Sarah Mayor Cox
This has to be one of the most beautiful covers of 2011, and maybe ever!!! I was sure Sally had done it but was surprised to read it wasn't her. I really enjoyed this book and think it would make for a fabulous literature club book for grades 3-6 because there are so many issues and plot twists that need to be inferred. Rippin's passages about the angel are so evocative, I could just feel her and see her.
Miffy
Loved this family-based fantasy.
Jelly is struggling with moving away from her primary school friends, She is worried about starting high school, doesn't get along with her cousin, Gino, and there a family undercurrents that are making her very uneasy.
It all adds up to one very unusual Christmas.
Catherine
This is the book I'll be interviewing Sally Rippin about at the Melbourne Writers Festival. I'll leave a review later.
Just a quick comment to say how much I admire the cover - publishers got it right with this one.
Kate Butchart
Short and very sweet. The plot is as simple as you would expect from what is barely "young adult" fiction (I would probably shelve it under 9-12yrs, personally), but it's well written, cute and entertaining.
Anna
It was short but a very captivating book. The small bit of romance really brought the whole book together, really good book and an enjoyable read.
Pat
I loved this original story of Jelly and her cousins finding an injured angel in a creek. Lovely characterisation and engrossing plot.
Saskia Largent
A short but sweet MG read with a very Australian feel.
3.5 out of 5
Full review to come.
Kate Hodson
It was an enjoyable read but didn't offer much extra.
Lottie
So original and fresh
Carly Ewald
Carly Ewald marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Canadian Reader
Canadian Reader marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Biju
Biju marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Hestia
Hestia marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Merq
Merq marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
RMIT
RMIT added it
Dec 16, 2014
Xerxes
Xerxes marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Mei
Mei marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Monet
Monet marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Zazu
Zazu marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
N I
N I marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Skyler
Skyler marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
  • Triple Ripple: A Fabulous Fairytale
  • Black Painted Fingernails
  • Only Ever Always
  • New Guinea Moon
  • The Wilful Eye (Tales from the Tower, #1)
  • Violet Mackerel's Remarkable Recovery (Violet Mackerel, #2)
  • A Pocketful of Eyes
  • The Coming of the Whirlpool (Ship Kings, #1)
  • Pig Boy
  • All I Ever Wanted
  • Brown Skin Blue
  • Silvermay (Silvermay, #1)
  • The Mystery  (Troubletwisters, #3)
  • Thyla (Thyla, #1)
Sally Rippin was born in Darwin, but grew up mainly in South-East Asia. As a young adult she spent three years in China studying traditional brush and ink painting in Shanghai and Hangzhou. Now Sally lives in Melbourne, where she writes and illustrates for children of all ages. She has had over forty children’s books published; many of them award winning, including two novels for Young Adults. Her ...more
More about Sally Rippin...
The Secret Message The Bad Butterfly The Midnight Feast (Billie B Brown) The Birthday Mix-Up (Billie B Brown) Twin Trouble (Go Girl, Two Sides! Series)