Start by marking “Angel Creek” as Want to Read:
Angel Creek

Angel Creek

In her new falling-down home, in her new street, in her new suburb, Jelly waits for high school to begin. She can only feel happy up in the branches of the old apricot tree and by the creek at the back of the house. One night, Jelly and her cousins spot something in the creek’s dark waters. At first they think it’s a bird, but it isn’t…it’s a baby angel with a broken wing. ...more
Published February 28th 2011 by The Text Publishing Company (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Angel Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel Creek

Froi of the Exiles by Melina MarchettaBurn Bright by Marianne de PierresEnticed by Jessica ShirvingtonBlood Song by Rhiannon HartHades by Alexandra Adornetto
2011 Aussie YA releases
14th out of 56 books — 190 voters
Plague of Angels by John Patrick KennedyCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareAngelfire by Courtney Allison MoultonStrange Angels by Lili St. Crow
Books with Angel In the Title
36th out of 201 books — 89 voters

More lists with this book...

Jul 12, 2011 Precious rated it really liked it
Originally posted at Fragments of Life.

This was my first Middle Grade book dealing with angels. It was refreshing to see angels in this light. I was used to reading about angels looking like human beings, talking and interacting with people as if they belonged in this world. The angel in Angel Creek was far from this version. It was less human, more animal.

Jelly and her two cousins disobeyed their parents and went to the creek one night. There, they found the most incredible thing: a baby angel
Jenny / Wondrous Reads
Aug 01, 2013 Jenny / Wondrous Reads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
Angel Creek is a really lovely book that I only wish had been longer. It's set in Australia and is about 12-year-old Jelly and her cousins, Pik and Gino, who find a real life angel in the local creek. It's been likened to David Almond's The Skellig but, honestly, I think I preferred Angel Creek.

Angel Creek is one of those stories that moves slowly but surely, leaving clues all the way through. The angel itself is described brilliantly and I would have loved to see an illustration of it. All the
Jul 28, 2011 Skye rated it liked it
This review is also posted on my blog, In The Good Books.

Angel Creek was a short, sweet, middle-grade novel about the consequences of taking things from where they belong that perfectly encapsulates the innocence of childhood.

The spare prose easily evoked the young voice of our main character, Jelly. The setting was vividly described and atmospheric -- completely realistic. Our characters weren't all fleshed out and didn't have too much depth, but their motivations were easily understood.

Nov 28, 2013 Emma rated it liked it
Shelves: guest-reviews
Review by Shelly

This is a cute short little book that wonders what it would be like if you found a baby angel. This is what happens to Jelly, Gino and Pik on Christmas Eve in the suburbs of Melbourne, Australia. Once they find it though what should they do with it and why is it here? Also why do bad things start happening to the family?
This is a very easy read with quite a simplistic story line but one that takes in a lot of different issues. The author touches on loss, heartache and many family
Feb 17, 2013 Becky rated it liked it
Alright, so my review will eventually be up over at the Fiction Files (, but here is a little thought that I had that I didn't think fit the kind of review I was writing for the blog.
On a slightly academic note, there is one character I find especially interesting, and that is the boy who shows up first with the bullies, and then again whenever Jelly is most in need, but is not actually named until the last couple of pages of the book. His name turns out to
Nov 05, 2014 Tanja rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chn-fantasy
Loved, loved, loved it! So happy I finally got to read the story after having waited several years from when I first heard Sally Rippin read an early draft of the first chapters to our fifth graders in Ghana. She was such an amazing author and illustrator to have on campus. Beautiful story about family and friends, belonging and finding out who you are. The very special cast of characters will stay with you long after you have closed the book, I guarantee.
Jun 27, 2016 Megan rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, magic
I bought this book on amazon second hand because I thought the cover was pretty and the plot sounded interesting. I did not check that it was a YA book, I assumed based on the reviews. This was not a YA book, it is a children’s book so my review will be short and simple. I am also not going to rate it because while I would give it to a child I would not recommend it for an adult or teenager.
This is written about a girl from a small Spanish family and her two cousins who find an angel in the cree
Andrea Myers
Jan 25, 2016 Andrea Myers rated it really liked it
One of the first E-books I have nabbed based purely on the cover. It turned out to be aimed at a middle grade/primary school age group but was actually a very lovely little story. Easily read in one sitting but definitely a story that I would recommend to kids.
Scott Fisher
Feb 09, 2016 Scott Fisher rated it it was ok
It was okay and evoked images of Melbourne's north. But it was not particularly literary.
You_Jelly_Bro (sarah)
Mar 31, 2015 You_Jelly_Bro (sarah) rated it it was amazing
this book is amazing I love it!! it is my all time favorite book!!!!! it is amazing!!
Jan 08, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
Liked this one a lot. Loved the name of the main character "Jelly". Really liked that the angel wasn't the stereotypical beauty ...she was a screecher and clung to Jelly scratching when it was afraid.

Nice resolution. Easy read, so accessible even for less able Stage 3 readers. Would make an interesting Readers Circle text for Term 4 Year 6 as it deals with transitions/rites of passage including moving to new neighbourhood, and getting ready for high school.

Sarah Mayor Cox
Oct 02, 2011 Sarah Mayor Cox rated it really liked it
This has to be one of the most beautiful covers of 2011, and maybe ever!!! I was sure Sally had done it but was surprised to read it wasn't her. I really enjoyed this book and think it would make for a fabulous literature club book for grades 3-6 because there are so many issues and plot twists that need to be inferred. Rippin's passages about the angel are so evocative, I could just feel her and see her.
Loved this family-based fantasy.
Jelly is struggling with moving away from her primary school friends, She is worried about starting high school, doesn't get along with her cousin, Gino, and there a family undercurrents that are making her very uneasy.
It all adds up to one very unusual Christmas.
Dec 29, 2015 Catherine rated it really liked it
This is the book I'll be interviewing Sally Rippin about at the Melbourne Writers Festival. I'll leave a review later.
Just a quick comment to say how much I admire the cover - publishers got it right with this one.
Kate Butchart
May 12, 2013 Kate Butchart rated it really liked it
Short and very sweet. The plot is as simple as you would expect from what is barely "young adult" fiction (I would probably shelve it under 9-12yrs, personally), but it's well written, cute and entertaining.
Jul 18, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing
It was short but a very captivating book. The small bit of romance really brought the whole book together, really good book and an enjoyable read.
Mar 09, 2011 Pat rated it really liked it
I loved this original story of Jelly and her cousins finding an injured angel in a creek. Lovely characterisation and engrossing plot.
Saskia Largent
Feb 06, 2011 Saskia Largent rated it liked it
Shelves: wishlist
A short but sweet MG read with a very Australian feel.
3.5 out of 5
Full review to come.
Kate Hodson
Mar 25, 2013 Kate Hodson rated it liked it
It was an enjoyable read but didn't offer much extra.
Mar 25, 2016 Lottie rated it really liked it
Fresh and original
Arya marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2016
San. H.
San. H. marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2016
Brooke Davenport
Brooke Davenport marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2016
Edyta Baker
Edyta Baker marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Lucy the Ghost
Lucy the Ghost marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
TheBookWasBetter marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Naomi rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Dyatmika Library
Dyatmika Library is currently reading it
Sep 18, 2016
Sarah Schoggin
Sarah Schoggin marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Sarah Magee
Sarah Magee rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2016
  • The Starkin Crown
  • The Truth About Verity Sparks
  • Song for a Scarlet Runner
  • The Ivory Rose
  • Meet Grace (Our Australian Girl - Grace, #1)
  • Violet Mackerel's Natural Habitat (Violet Mackerel, #3)
  • Only Ever Always
  • Black Painted Fingernails
  • Give Me Four Reasons
  • Triple Ripple: A Fabulous Fairytale
  • The Zigzag Effect
  • Brown Skin Blue
  • Crow Country
  • Wolfborn
  • The Wilful Eye (Tales from the Tower, #1)
  • Pig Boy
  • Dangerously Placed
  • Have You Seen Ally Queen?
Sally Rippin was born in Darwin, but grew up mainly in South-East Asia. As a young adult she spent three years in China studying traditional brush and ink painting in Shanghai and Hangzhou. Now Sally lives in Melbourne, where she writes and illustrates for children of all ages. She has had over forty children’s books published; many of them award winning, including two novels for Young Adults. Her ...more
More about Sally Rippin...