Start by marking “Ally” as Want to Read:
Ally

Ally (The Wess'har Wars #5)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  458 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The worlds orbiting Cavanagh's Star are in turmoil.

Civil war on Umeh—ignited by outsiders—threatens to annihilate the teeming masses of a grossly overpopulated planet. On Bezer'ej, the handful of native aquatic creatures who survived extermination must take extraordinary and terrible steps to ensure the future of their kind . . .

And the interlopers from a distant planet ca
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published March 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Ally, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ally

Karen Ireland-Phillips
Unfortunately, the series probably should have ended with The World Before, or at the latest, with Matriarch. The last three books in this series (Matriarch, Ally, Judge) felt as though they'd been written to outline, or to fulfill a book contract, rather than to tell the stories of the fascinating main characters and the endlessly inventive worlds explored in the first three books. The plots wandered; the same three or four situations/plotlines (alien parasite, ecological revisionism, and roman ...more
Lawrence
Jan 23, 2008 Lawrence rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
blah blah blah. Again, a novel in a series in which the first book (and even the second) are compelling, but the story takes too many twists and dilutes the original tension and themes. I am halfway through this book, and not sure I will complete it.

Update: I put it down, and will sell it back to bookmans.
Eve
Apr 28, 2016 Eve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one seemed weaker to me than the others, somewhat repetitive and a bit boring in some of the oft repeated tropes. Now on #6 - last one - back on earth. Still excited!
erforscherin
The bezeri subplot was tiresome in the last book, and it's even more tiresome in this one; (view spoiler) is unnecessary at best, and filler material at worst. Many of this book's problems, in fact, are the same as those of the last book - dragging plot, no action, out-of-character reactions - and this has now gone on for long enough that I fear Traviss has royally screwed over her own series.

I've finally put a
David King
Mar 06, 2013 David King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Ally” is the fifth and penultimate book in Karen Traviss’ science fiction series known as the “The Wess'har Wars”. As with my previous reviews of the books in this series I once against advise people to avoid reading this review unless you have read the previous books. This is because most of my commentary on the plot will in all likelihood spoil some aspects of the previous books. If you are interested in giving this series a try however, then feel free to read my review of the first novel whi ...more
Mark
Sep 02, 2007 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: britishsci-fi
Karen Traviss is another of those classically-educated British sci-fi writers that's captured my attention lately.

Her series, that begins with City of Pearl, is an unusual blend of vegeterianism, ecological responsibility, mutating symbionts, and interspecies war. Humans are, for the most part, the bad guys here, though it takes a while to figure that out. And our protagonist chooses her sides very quickly, putting her at odds with her people.

As with many of other female science-fiction writers,
Mandeep
Good sci-fi by a British author (and you can tell she's British from the language used). Enjoyed this book even though I haven't read the preceding 4. There's a large emphasis on environmentalism, with the most advanced species being vegan genocidal pragmatists .... and the human protagonists are mutants due to bacterial contamination. Even though there was more emphasis on the interior motivations, moral dilemnas etc of the characters than I would have liked, the book stiill held my interest. I ...more
Chani
Dec 04, 2012 Chani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is getting rather bogged down for me. A lot of the action is talking about the action they are going to take, which is rather boring. Plus, the whole bezeri and idiot Lindsay is very annoying mostly because it is completely predictable. And I for one hate books where characters do dumb things, repeatedly, and you are forced to read about it, then wait some more while people don't do what they should do to fix the problem.
Amy
Oct 20, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm definitely still enjoying these. This one irked me sometimes because it had a lot of errors, and I always notice those kinds of things and want to go in and fix them. At least one instance where they said someone's name but meant someone else, and several instances where they said one type of alien but meant another. Silly things, but the kind of thing that brings me out of the book for a while, which removes the immersion.
Kimm
May 22, 2008 Kimm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book (and the series) a great deal. My only complaint is that the copy editor did a horrible job. There are many errors throughout the book. The worst error I saw was at one point they were on Umeh which is the Isenj planet and there is a slip up in mentioned the Bezeri standing there which is an alien race from Bezer'ej that has no way of even getting to Umeh. That should have been caught.

Banner
Jun 21, 2012 Banner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, alien
The strength of this series is the alien cultures. I get a little aggravated with all of the ethical delimmas that are sprinkled through out the book. Mainly because of the inconsistent conclusions that our protagonist make. However, I began to feel that was the point I was supposed to see. The action seemed to pick up a little, but no where near the first book.

Looking forward to reading the next one.

Rift Vegan
Apr 13, 2008 Rift Vegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Wess'har War #5. Good reading. At the end of this book, I'm just not sure how the ending of this series can be a happy one... I'm pretty sure it'll have to end by killing everyone off, including all the humans on earth. So, I am very interested in reading the last book of the series, just to see how it goes.
Pete Aldin
Way too many editing problems with this book to keep me anchored in it. Words missing from sentences. Several occurrences of the wrong species being mentioned. Grrrrrr.
Celia Powell
Nov 20, 2010 Celia Powell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I really enjoyed this fifth book in the series - the storyline on Bezer'ej with Lindsey is fascinating and horrifying. Shan and her husbands are fabulous as usual, and I love their relationship - all the dynamics between the characters in this series are really well done.

Re-read - November 2010
Jhutson456
Jul 08, 2010 Jhutson456 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
The previous book in the Wess'har Wars series was my least favorite. However, this book I would easily chalk up as my favorite. This book is awesome. Very intense with lots of mind blowing images. Great book!
Richard
Too introspective! Became boring! Author seems to have attempted to "stretch" the book to fill pages. This series will be continued by another book. Don't buy it!
Ryan Beck
Jan 11, 2010 Ryan Beck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Traviss came back with some action in Ally. This is my favorite of the series after City of Pearl. The tension really builds and I can't wait to read Judge.
Sharon
May 23, 2016 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant series but you have to read them as a series stand alone they are far too complicated
Ren
Ren marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Val
Val marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
john kehoe
john kehoe rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
MissMeliss89
MissMeliss89 rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Andree Larson
Andree Larson rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Harry
Harry marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Kerry & naomi
Kerry & naomi marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Jayson Durussel
Jayson Durussel rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
elidemelnibone
elidemelnibone rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
  • Grail (Jacob's Ladder, #3)
  • To Trade the Stars (Trade Pact Universe, #3)
  • Rules of Conflict (Jani Kilian Chronicles, #2)
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
  • Emissaries from the Dead (Andrea Cort, #1)
  • Shades of Gray (Sholan Alliance, #8)
  • The Margarets
  • Empire of Bones
  • His Conquering Sword (Jaran, #3)
  • Overkill (Orphan's legacy, #1)
  • Metal Swarm (The Saga of Seven Suns, #6)
#1 New York Times best-selling novelist, scriptwriter and comics author Karen Traviss has received critical acclaim for her award-nominated Wess'har series, and her work on Halo, Gears of War, Batman, G.I. Joe, and other major franchises has earned her a broad range of fans. She's best known for military science fiction, but GOING GREY, the first of her new techno-thriller series, is set in the re ...more
More about Karen Traviss...

The Wess'har Wars (6 books)
  • City of Pearl (Wess'har Wars, #1)
  • Crossing the Line (Wess'har Wars, #2)
  • The World Before (Wess'Har Wars, #3)
  • Matriarch (Wess'Har Wars, #4)
  • Judge (Wess'Har Wars, #6)

“We have complete choice as individuals: the only decisions we can take are our own. And yet so many species use the state of being an individual as an excuse for inaction, helplessness and irresponsibility.No situation is so overwhelming that action is pointless.
Targassat of Surang.”
3 likes
“I fail to understand why gethes (Humans), talk about individuals versus society. They are the same thing. The action of every individual counts, and those individual acts of personal responsibility accumulate to create society. Snowflakes are equally blind to their role in causing avalanches.” 2 likes