Start by marking “Varney the Vampyre; or, The Feast of Blood, Book One: The Feast of Blood” as Want to Read:
Varney the Vampyre; or, The Feast of Blood, Book One: The Feast of Blood

Varney the Vampyre; or, The Feast of Blood, Book One: The Feast of Blood

Varney the Vampire; or, the Feast of Blood was a Victorian era serialized gothic horror story by James Malcolm Rymer (alternatively attributed to Thomas Preskett Prest). It first appeared in 1845–47 as a series of cheap pamphlets of the kind then known as "penny dreadfuls".

The story was published in book form in 1847. It is of epic length: the original edition ran to 876 d
Published December 1st 2000 by Wildside Press

Be the first to ask a question about Varney the Vampyre; or, The Feast of Blood, Book One

Bill  Kerwin

I was a fool. I thought this would be fun. A trashy Victorian serial appealing to the basest tastes of the barely literate elements of society--what could be more enjoyable than that? Sure, it stretches to more than 1100 pages, but if I digest it a tiny piece at a time--the same way that guy in the urban legend was rumored to have consumed a whole car--it should be relatively pleasant. Besides, it is credited with establishing much vampire lore as well as humanizing the vampire, so it should be
Samuel Rippey
Highly overwrought, super-Gothic Victorian penny dreadful trash. Depending on your bent, this is either horrible or delightful. I only made it through 800 pages or so -- enough is enough. Best in small doses, as was originally intended.
Mel
Varney is a three volume penny dreadful that I found a lovely complete wordsworth edition of. It's almost 1200 pages of very tiny Wordswoth print. I wasn't sure if I'd manage all three volumes in one go. But as much as I was enjoying the book after finishing volume 2 I thought I'd take a short break as I was just desperate to read some history and I found that my enjoyment was starting to slip. So I thought I'd write up the first two volumes while I could still remember and will probably go back ...more
Titus Hjelm
The previous review pretty much said it all, but this is still required reading for any proper vampire buff. 'Varney' is often mentioned in books about vampires, but few people seem to have actually read it. I mean, although sometimes 'evil', he is the original suffering vampire, way before Barnabas Collins or Rice's Louis.
Louise Henderson
Aug 15, 2013 Louise Henderson rated it really liked it
people have said that they have given up because of repetition etc. However, I found the first of this 5 volume series well edited, and did not exhibit any of the complaints from previous additions (in my opinion). it kept me hooked from beginning to end
Neri.
Nov 22, 2015 Neri. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fancy, and full of 18th century style language 'Dracula' rip-off.
Timothy Morrow
As I strove to inquire and read the foundation of the Vampire Lore, I discovered the Penny Dreadful series called "Varney the Vampire" and decided to take it upon myself to read it. As a synopsis it should be stated that the story is about the Bannerworths family and a vampire named Varney who wishes to be the owner of the estate which the family has possession of. There is plenty of shenanigans that ensues between the romantically inclined characters and of course Varney himself, but you will h ...more
Ebster Davis
“Hang me,” said the admiral, “if I shan't like the fellow at last. It is cool, and I like it because it is cool.”

Sir Frances Varney is reported to be a Vampyre, but personality-wise he's a Troll. And he's hilarious.

Other than Sir Varney, my favorite character is Admiral Bell. He and Jack start out as the comic relief characters, but actually they're the most hardcore of the whole group.

I'd recommend this one if you like vampire stories and you have a little time on your hands. It's a bit long
Summer
Eh, it's not good, but it's not the worst thing I've ever read. It's pretty obvious that the authors of these 'penny dreadfuls' get paid by the amount of words and not necessarily the content.... so the dialogue is about on par with terrible B-movies... I don't think I want to read the remaining two volumes.
Larissa
Oct 09, 2012 Larissa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires, e-read
I joined Media Bistro's 2012 Literary Remix Competition to rewrite a page of this book which would then, if I'm selected, be recombined with pages written by other people in other styles. Since there is a free download of the book available via Project Gutenberg, I might as well check out the book in its entirety, just in time for Halloween.
Kassie Kmitch
My mom let me read this as a kid because it was an old-timey book, and she assumed it would make me smarter. Wrong, mom. WRONG. I was captivated by the cover and the cover alone. The guy had an exposed rib cage! It does not disappoint.
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2013
Amy Marx
Amy Marx rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2012
Lydia
Lydia rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
V. Karr
V. Karr rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Bertje58
Bertje58 rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2011
Cathy Shaw
Cathy Shaw rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2012
Khanada
Khanada rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2010
J.F. Gonzalez
J.F. Gonzalez rated it liked it
May 28, 2013
Sichelle Worley
Sichelle Worley rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it did not like it
Dec 05, 2013
RTupper
RTupper rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2017
Lesley Anne
Lesley Anne rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2014
Shandy Jo
Shandy Jo rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Luckygirl360
Luckygirl360 rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2010
Mandy
Mandy rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2013
Prince Fiver
Prince Fiver rated it it was ok
Oct 28, 2014
Nita
Nita rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
James Malcolm Rymer was a British nineteenth century writer of penny dreadfuls, and is the probable author of Varney the Vampire, often attributed to fellow writer Thomas Peckett Prest, and co-author (with Prest) of The String of Pearls, in which the notorious villain Sweeney Todd makes his literary debut.

Information about Rymer is sketchy. In the London Directory for 1841 he is listed as a civil
More about James Malcolm Rymer...