Start by marking “Varney the Vampyre; or, The Feast of Blood, Book One: The Feast of Blood” as Want to Read:
Varney the Vampyre; or, The Feast of Blood, Book One: The Feast of Blood

Varney the Vampyre; or, The Feast of Blood, Book One: The Feast of Blood

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Varney the Vampire; or, the Feast of Blood was a Victorian era serialized gothic horror story by James Malcolm Rymer (alternatively attributed to Thomas Preskett Prest). It first appeared in 1845–47 as a series of cheap pamphlets of the kind then known as "penny dreadfuls".

The story was published in book form in 1847. It is of epic length: the original edition ran to 876 d
Published December 1st 2000 by Wildside Press

Be the first to ask a question about Varney the Vampyre; or, The Feast of Blood, Book One

Bill  Kerwin

I was a fool. I thought this would be fun. A trashy Victorian serial appealing to the basest tastes of the barely literate elements of society--what could be more enjoyable than that? Sure, it stretches to more than 1100 pages, but if I digest it a tiny piece at a time--the same way that guy in the urban legend was rumored to have consumed a whole car--it should be relatively pleasant. Besides, it is credited with establishing much vampire lore as well as humanizing the vampire, so it should be
Fancy, and full of 18th century style language 'Dracula' rip-off.
Varney is a three volume penny dreadful that I found a lovely complete wordsworth edition of. It's almost 1200 pages of very tiny Wordswoth print. I wasn't sure if I'd manage all three volumes in one go. But as much as I was enjoying the book after finishing volume 2 I thought I'd take a short break as I was just desperate to read some history and I found that my enjoyment was starting to slip. So I thought I'd write up the first two volumes while I could still remember and will probably go back ...more
Ebster Davis
“Hang me,” said the admiral, “if I shan't like the fellow at last. It is cool, and I like it because it is cool.”

Sir Frances Varney is reported to be a Vampyre, but personality-wise he's a Troll. And he's hilarious.

Other than Sir Varney, my favorite character is Admiral Bell. He and Jack start out as the comic relief characters, but actually they're the most hardcore of the whole group.

I'd recommend this one if you like vampire stories and you have a little time on your hands. It's a bit long
Oct 09, 2012 Larissa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires, e-read
I joined Media Bistro's 2012 Literary Remix Competition to rewrite a page of this book which would then, if I'm selected, be recombined with pages written by other people in other styles. Since there is a free download of the book available via Project Gutenberg, I might as well check out the book in its entirety, just in time for Halloween.
Titus Hjelm
The previous review pretty much said it all, but this is still required reading for any proper vampire buff. 'Varney' is often mentioned in books about vampires, but few people seem to have actually read it. I mean, although sometimes 'evil', he is the original suffering vampire, way before Barnabas Collins or Rice's Louis.
Louise Henderson
people have said that they have given up because of repetition etc. However, I found the first of this 5 volume series well edited, and did not exhibit any of the complaints from previous additions (in my opinion). it kept me hooked from beginning to end
Kassie Kmitch
My mom let me read this as a kid because it was an old-timey book, and she assumed it would make me smarter. Wrong, mom. WRONG. I was captivated by the cover and the cover alone. The guy had an exposed rib cage! It does not disappoint.
Okay, I think I get the general idea. :p
Samuel Rippey
Highly overwrought, super-Gothic Victorian penny dreadful trash. Depending on your bent, this is either horrible or delightful. I only made it through 800 pages or so -- enough is enough. Best in small doses, as was originally intended.
Diana marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Michelle M
Michelle M marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Cassandra marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Dorinda marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
MandaFish marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Karina Vargas
Karina Vargas marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Stephanie marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Akasha Elfwitch
Akasha Elfwitch marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Miss Dashwood
Miss Dashwood is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2015
M. Doughty
M. Doughty marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Hilary is currently reading it
Mar 20, 2015
Ciara marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Snakecharming marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Melissa Chung
Melissa Chung marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
James Malcolm Rymer was a British nineteenth century writer of penny dreadfuls, and is the probable author of Varney the Vampire, often attributed to fellow writer Thomas Peckett Prest, and co-author (with Prest) of The String of Pearls, in which the notorious villain Sweeney Todd makes his literary debut.

Information about Rymer is sketchy. In the London Directory for 1841 he is listed as a civil
More about James Malcolm Rymer...