Varney the Vampyre; or, The Feast of Blood, Book One: The Feast of Blood

Varney the Vampyre; or, The Feast of Blood, Book One: The Feast of Blood

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Varney the Vampire; or, the Feast of Blood was a Victorian era serialized gothic horror story by James Malcolm Rymer (alternatively attributed to Thomas Preskett Prest). It first appeared in 1845–47 as a series of cheap pamphlets of the kind then known as "penny dreadfuls".

The story was published in book form in 1847. It is of epic length: the original edition ran to 876 d...more
Published December 1st 2000 by Wildside Press

Bill  Kerwin

I was a fool. I thought this would be fun. A trashy Victorian serial appealing to the basest tastes of the barely literate elements of Victorian society--what could be more enjoyable than that? Sure, it stretches to more than 1100 pages, but if I digest it a tiny piece at a time--the same way that guy in the urban legend was rumored to have consumed a whole car--it should be relatively pleasant. Besides, it is credited with establishing much vampire lore as well as humanizing the vampire, so it...more
Mel
Varney is a three volume penny dreadful that I found a lovely complete wordsworth edition of. It's almost 1200 pages of very tiny Wordswoth print. I wasn't sure if I'd manage all three volumes in one go. But as much as I was enjoying the book after finishing volume 2 I thought I'd take a short break as I was just desperate to read some history and I found that my enjoyment was starting to slip. So I thought I'd write up the first two volumes while I could still remember and will probably go back...more
Larissa
Oct 09, 2012 Larissa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-read, vampires
I joined Media Bistro's 2012 Literary Remix Competition to rewrite a page of this book which would then, if I'm selected, be recombined with pages written by other people in other styles. Since there is a free download of the book available via Project Gutenberg, I might as well check out the book in its entirety, just in time for Halloween.
Titus Hjelm
The previous review pretty much said it all, but this is still required reading for any proper vampire buff. 'Varney' is often mentioned in books about vampires, but few people seem to have actually read it. I mean, although sometimes 'evil', he is the original suffering vampire, way before Barnabas Collins or Rice's Louis.
Louise Henderson
people have said that they have given up because of repetition etc. However, I found the first of this 5 volume series well edited, and did not exhibit any of the complaints from previous additions (in my opinion). it kept me hooked from beginning to end
Kassie Kmitch
My mom let me read this as a kid because it was an old-timey book, and she assumed it would make me smarter. Wrong, mom. WRONG. I was captivated by the cover and the cover alone. The guy had an exposed rib cage! It does not disappoint.
Tasha
Okay, I think I get the general idea. :p
Samuel Rippey
Highly overwrought, super-Gothic Victorian penny dreadful trash. Depending on your bent, this is either horrible or delightful. I only made it through 800 pages or so -- enough is enough. Best in small doses, as was originally intended.
Paulette
Paulette marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Daniel Purcell
Daniel Purcell marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Shari
Shari marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Powerbm2
Powerbm2 marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Christina
Christina is currently reading it
Jan 27, 2014
Chris Sarafian
Chris Sarafian marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
BJ
BJ marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
Princesschaos Brutile
Princesschaos Brutile is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2013
J Luis Rivera
J Luis Rivera marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
James Malcolm Rymer was a British nineteenth century writer of penny dreadfuls, and is the probable author of Varney the Vampire, often attributed to fellow writer Thomas Peckett Prest, and co-author (with Prest) of The String of Pearls, in which the notorious villain Sweeney Todd makes his literary debut.

Information about Rymer is sketchy. In the London Directory for 1841 he is listed as a civil...more
More about James Malcolm Rymer...
Varney the Vampire Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street Ada the Betrayed Varney the Vampire, Volume II Vampire Triptych (Varney the Vampire, Carmilla, Dracula)