Start by marking “Desiderio” as Want to Read:
Desiderio

Desiderio (Lost Lords #1)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,046 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
Per Archie Warner, conte di Sachse, è tempo di sposarsi. Camilla, giovane vedova del suo predecessore, lo accompagna in società per aiutarlo a scegliere la moglie adatta. Ma nel suo cuore Archie ha già scelto. Di una bellezza altera, ferita nello spirito dall’anziano marito, Camilla non immagina di essere proprio lei la prescelta. Sarà capace di lasciarsi il passato alle s ...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Mondadori, I Romanzi (first published March 29th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Desiderio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desiderio

Beanbag Love
Feb 09, 2010 Beanbag Love rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good historical romance. Heath really has the chops in that area. I love her stories and this made four star plus a little.

However, it wasn't as good as the Scoundrels of St. James books. To me, anyway. Those are really amazing. This is good. Very good.

My problem was a mercenary heroine. She had good reasons, and thanks to Heath's attention to organics and logic, the hero knew her reasons in plenty of time for their love to make sense. So often I'm supposed to expect that the hero wi
willaful
Feb 05, 2010 willaful rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Beta heroes
Although this is the first in the "Lost Lords" series, it is also a direct sequel to Love With a Scandalous Lord, which is third in the "Daughters of Fortune" series. Confusing! But many of Heath's books are connected in some way. Anyway, after reading that book, I was very curious about how Heath would turn the secondary characters into hero and heroine: Archie came across as so mild-mannered as to be a bit of a doof and Camilla is not only cold and selfish but does some quite morally repuganan ...more
Virginia
Jan 25, 2011 Virginia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so pleased! Looks like Heath is becoming an author I enjoy reading! (It looks as if I may have to break down and check out her Texas Rogues series (even though I am not a fan of American romances).) Archibald Warner, the current Earl of Sasche (pronounced Saxee if you can believe it) is so romantic and just the right balance of dangerous and kind. Countess Camilla Warner (the previous earl's widow) is just the right balance of heart and iciness. I loved seeing their relationship unfold and ...more
Sory
Dec 15, 2014 Sory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Novedad en que no hay amor a primera vista ni se encuentran en un salón. Ella es la joven viuda del antiguo conde y ahora tiene que vivir y enseñar al nuevo conde todo lo necesario para moverse en ese tipo de sociedad.
Camila tiene claro lo que quiere y no es nada romántico, ella quiere asegurar su futuro a cualquier costo ya que el antiguo conde era violento y horrible con ella.
Por otro lado Archi, el nuevo conde es un chico de pueblo, sencillo, humilde y nada a gusto rodeado de tanto lujo y pu
Lori McD
Quite a book... The Hero and Heroine each have their unique flaws. And I identified with the Heroine, Camilla, in ways I'd never have imagined before.

Camilla has to keep tight control over herself and her environment -- the perfect hostess, the perfect widow, the perfect everything. Because if she lets her guard down, she fears the ton will learn her secrets.

Arch was a schoolteacher before finding himself the 7th Earl. He'd never even met the 6th Earl, an old man who, by all accounts, was a mon
Poetry to Prose
Once again, Lorraine Heath did it.

Seriously this one tops my list. I guess it's better if you would read the love with the scandalous lord because you'll understand Camilla's personality more. I find her quite villainous in Love with the Scandalous Lord but in the end I found out that she was a victim and what had become of her is the effect of her past.

In this book it tells how the story goes between Archie and Camilla after the LwtSL and how they fell in love with each other.

I really like th
Julie
Apr 02, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical/Victorian Romance
Camilla, Countess of Sachse, is widowed and can only cry with relief at the death of her viciously brutal, aged husband. She will now endeavor to school the new Earl in the ways of the aristocracy and aide her husband's heir and distant cousin in his efforts to find a wife, even if it is not something he desires. Her confidence and grace, not to mention popularity with the Marlboro Set, will go far in helping the new Earl to live up to his noble responsibilities while setting her free to search ...more
Karyn Gerrard
Apr 05, 2012 Karyn Gerrard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
QUICK TAKE:

Another very fine read from Lorraine Heath. Instead of the hero having inner scars and a tortured past, this time it is the heroine. Lady Camilla, widow of the old earl, has taken Archibald Warner under her wing and is teaching him the ins and outs of the ton and being an earl. Archie is a school master and a wonderful hero. He is open, honest, honorable and sexy as all get out. He hides nothing. And coaxing Camilla out from behind her frosty defenses is an arduous task. Getting her t
Lady Wesley
The new Earl of Sachse finds himself falling in love with the widow of the old earl (his distant cousin). But Camilla is determined to marry a wealthy duke, and besides, she is barren and the new earl needs to marry a woman who can give him an heir.

That's about the entire story right there, and it's pleasant but forgettable; except, there's an interesting development near the end where something happens to the hero that I've never seen in a historical romance before.
Maura
Jan 01, 2015 Maura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mahareni Sukadi
2,5 ajah, coz bacanya loncat-loncat.

- Begitu buka bab I, langsung kaget coz gak ada pengenalan karakter ato latar belakang, dua tokoh utamanya langsung saling kenal and bercakap-cakap akhrab. Ternyata Archie and Camilla sebelumnya udah diperkenalkan di buku Love With A Scandalous Lord (Daughters Of Fortune, #3). Dan buku model njujug gini selalu sukses bikin aku ilpil.
*gak bisa disalahin bukunya, salahkan penerbitnya yg gak urut ngeluarin bukunya*

- Aku gak suka Camilla. Dunno why. Mungkin karena
Bronwyn Rykiert
Archie Warner, the new Earl of Sachse is a wonderful hero. I had a bit of trouble with Camilla, Lady Sachse’s character though, but I did come to warm to her as the book went on.

Camilla was unhappily married to the cruel, old Earl and has taken on the task of training the new Earl in the ways of the ton. Archie has inherited from a distant cousin and was not expecting this new role and was quite happy being a school teacher in the country, he has difficulty coming to terms with his new status. C
Kathie (katmom)
Mar 10, 2013 Kathie (katmom) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As an Earl Desires has a quiet, sweet man as our hero. He was a school teacher and never thought that he'd step into the ton as an Earl. It's a good thing that the old Earl's widow (he was a total monster) is helping him to find his way. She is an ice princess and as he discovers her real self, the walls start to melt.

Even though Camilla is drawn to his tenderness, she knows that she cannot step into his life permanently as she is barren and he needs an heir. She works hard to find him a wife, o
Toni
Oct 10, 2011 Toni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely book. The characters of Arch and Camilla are well-drawn and likable; each is an individual strong in beliefs and morality, yet forced by Fate into an arrangement which, though enjoyable in the moment, neither would never have entered if they could have prevented it. Their love, and their recognizing the useless of it all and the inevitability of what is going to happen, adds a tinge of impending disaster to the entire story. The discovery of the letter and what it means to every ...more
Yulia Anggraini
Karna baca seri in berurutan dr seri daughter of fortune alhasil fil x dpt bangeeet...camilla yg dceritax rhys dingin n penuh rahasia,stu2 persatu rahasiax terungkap n perubahan sikapx brasa...
camilla yg kesan dluarx pintar n dngin padahal dy menyimpan ketakutan klo ad yg tw dy sebenarx bodoh...camilla malu klo smp archie yg seorang guru tw betapa bodohx dy...

aq pikir salah satu rahasia itu adlah ttg camilla yg pernah mengintip rhys saat melayani para lady tp ternyata tidak pernah dbahas...

suka
Manuela
Feb 19, 2011 Manuela rated it really liked it
Shelves: storico
Fanny Roswita Ria
Feb 04, 2013 Fanny Roswita Ria rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dastan, historical, 2013
Satu kalimat "menyesal membeli buku ini"

Argghhh,,bete banget dg cerita yg ini. Kenapa harus diterbitkan coba?bener2 sukses bikin gw baca cmn awal2nya doang,trs tengah2 dan ending cerita. Ga worth it banget deh, even pun dibeli dg diskon 50% dari dastan.

Awal cerita aja lsg disajikan dlm btk prolog antara hero&heroine. Ga ada mengenai pengenalan akan tokoh2nya yg jd bikin gw ngubek2 goodreads utk lihat sapa tahu ada series yg berkaitan dg kedua tokoh ini.

Kedua, gw ga suka sama heroine yg ga p
Robin
Jul 26, 2014 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Archibald Warner, the seventh Earl of Sachse, may have recently gained his title, but he knows his duty is to marry and produce an heir. The problem is, he is only interested in Camilla, the late Earl's young wife. Camilla is helping him learn his way around the titled gentry and trying to help him find a wife. Archie is determined to break through Camilla's secrets and make her his bride.

This book started out with the hero already in love with the heroine, but he doesn't know how to win her ove
Kate*
I really liked this book. It had a different story line. Any book with dialogue that makes me laugh out loud is easily a 4 star book, but add that with steamy lovemaking scenes and it's 5 stars!

The hero is an intellectual commoner thrust into earl hood and the heroine an ice queen, but secretly a giving do-gooder. Those aren't the only secrets she holds, she even holds one she is unaware of herself until Archie gifts her a wonderful thing, allowing her to reveal the shocking and life changing fa
Lorraine Lesar
Sep 30, 2012 Lorraine Lesar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Archibald was a teacher but due to certain deaths of remote family members, he becomes a Earl. Camila, the former wife of the previous earl, helps him to adjust to his new role. To her, position and her title are everything. To him, she is everything he wants.

See what happens when they succumb to their passion!

I like Lorraine Heath's books - archibald is very likeable and Camilla strong but vunerable. The pair are very good together and of course, being a romance, it has a happy ending. Enjoy.

Amarilli Settantatre
May 18, 2014 Amarilli Settantatre rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
da www.sognipensieriparole.com

Ecco un romance che si discosta dal classico sviluppo della poveraccia che sposa il ricco lord, perché qui è Arch, giovane insegnante di campagna e non abituato alla vita della nobiltà, che si ritrova a ereditare il titolo di conte da un lontano parente morto senza eredi, mentre, a Al contrario, è il personaggio femminile, Camilla, la vedova del conte defunto, che è ben introdotta in società e che si incarica di istruire opportunamente il nuovo gentiluomo.
La storia
Kazen
Jul 10, 2015 Kazen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid historical romance, just what I needed after the annoyance that was my last read.

The good:

- Lovely banter is sprinkled throughout the book. I wish there were more, but it wouldn't have fit the characters' development and I respect that.
- Heath handles historical details well (as I've come to expect) and everything just makes sense.
- There are kids on the periphery of some scenes but no plot moppets.
- I kept thinking about the next time I would be able to open my e-reader, always a good
Scottsdale Public Library
Archie, a school teacher recently turned Earl of Sachse, knows his new duty is to marry and quickly produce an heir and a spare, but the only woman to catch his eye is Camilla, the former Earl of Sachse's widow. Camilla is too busy battling the demons of her past to even give their love a try, though. Will true love be able to conquer all?

A must read for historical romance fans!

-Lindsey D.-
Megan Lavey-Heaton
Jul 19, 2012 Megan Lavey-Heaton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, ebook
I didn't intend to stay up all night reading this book, but I did. It was a great read with a wonderful hero and heroine. It's also an intriguing look into the changing penal system in Great Britain during the 1800s and how people were trying to make it better, but there was a lot of negative aspects as well. I also enjoyed seeing the hero of one of Heath's later books as a little boy in here.
❀ ℓu-ℓu-ℓuna ❀
Hot earl, hot lady, hot story...need I say more? Yes! Because this story is intriguing for the lead character is someone who was already introduced in Love With a Scandalous Lord, as the woman you would love to hate, flay alive and let be soaked in vinegar. Still you love her as a new woman, due to the man who freed her from a terrible past, who made her believe in love and second chances...
Christina
This is the first book of hers that I've read. I appreciate the stories that give the characters depth with very little ongoing drama. I also found it refreshing to have a hero that isn't tormented or arrogant or a rake as most heroes in novels usually are. She has a sordid past, he's a woman's dream of what a mans love should be. Plain and simple. Enjoyed it immensely.
Frezanda
Dec 10, 2009 Frezanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, e-book-owned
I would like to give this a five instead of four because I love both characters. I feel that the story can be deeper may be more on Camilla's past or something. Besides that, there were some emotion laden sentences that were repeated again and again. Overall, it's an excellent story.
moi
ABSOLUTELYYYYYYYYY FANTASTIC READ!!!! Just loved every aspect about it. More so The hero... Archibald Warner!!! he is the BEST beta hero I have ever read ..... will review the book later.. can't stop myself from day dreaming about archiieee
Awatef Ahmittach
Feb 26, 2014 Awatef Ahmittach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Se convirtió en un de mis libros favoritos de romance. Me enamoró. Es uno de los pocos libros que diría que me podría volver a leer. Me encantó la sensualidad de la la protagonista y la sensibilidad del conde. ¡Ay Lorraine Heath!
Vicki
Apr 13, 2012 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first started this book, I didn't think I would like it. Somehow it ended up being a book I couldn't put down.... I loved the chemistry between Archie and Camilla.
  • One Night With You (The Derrings #3)
  • Tainted By Temptation
  • Till Next We Meet
  • Never Trust a Scoundrel (Sons of Scandal, #1)
  • A Groom of One's Own (The Writing Girls, #1)
  • Winter Garden (Winter Garden #2)
  • What an Earl Wants
  • The Book of Scandal (The Scandalous Series, #1)
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
  • Carnal Gift (Blakewell/Kenleigh Family Trilogy, #2)
  • Not Quite a Lady (Carsington Brothers, #4)
  • One Wicked Sin (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #2)
  • It's Always Been You (York Family, #2)
  • The Prince's Bride (Effingtons, #4)
  • In My Heart (Donally Family, #1)
  • When Seducing a Duke (Victorian Soap Opera, #1)
  • Romancing the Countess (Romancing, #1)
  • The Wicked Ways of a Duke (Girl Bachelors, #2)
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor during
More about Lorraine Heath...

Lost Lords (3 books)
  • A Matter of Temptation (Lost Lords, #2)
  • Promise Me Forever (Lost Lords, #3)