Start by marking “Планината Броукбек” as Want to Read:
Планината Броукбек

Планината Броукбек (Wyoming Stories)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  18,898 Ratings  ·  1,323 Reviews
Някои чувства наистина не могат да бъдат обяздени...

Джак и Енис - много млади и твърдо решени да намерят сами своето място в живота, се озовават като наемни работници за едно лято горе в планината Броукбек.

Дните и нощите, прекарани заедно, не просто белязват лятото на 1963 година, но преобръщат съдбите на двамата каубои.

Те се озовават сред пустота и само споменът за планин
Published March 15th 2006 by Intense (first published October 13th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Планината Броукбек, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Планината Броукбек

Lola  Reviewer
The shirt seemed heavy until he saw there was another shirt inside it, the sleeves carefully worked down inside Jack’s sleeves. It was his own plaid shirt, lost, he’d thought, long ago in some damn laundry, his dirty shirt, the pocket ripped, buttons missing, stolen by Jack and hidden here inside Jack’s own shirt, the pair like two skins, one inside the other, two in one.

Sometimes, I want to cry.

When I hear of cases of gay adolescents and adults who commit suicide because they are harassed, th
TK421
Mar 04, 2013 TK421 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Normally, I would never read something like this. No, I am not homophobic (my older brother is gay); but I do get uncomfortable when reading about two men kissing. So, needless to say, I wasn't expecting much from this very short novella.

Let me be the first to say how utterly wrong I was. This novella is not merely about two men who fall in love; it is about love itself. The love story these men share is intense, stormy, beautiful, and heart-wrenching, and I found myself thankful that I have on
Nancy
I picked this up at the library last night because it was a tiny book, perfect for today's lunch time read.

I'm ashamed to say that I attempted to watch the film, but fell asleep about 45 minutes in. Now that I've read this story, I'm going to revisit the film.

This is the first time I've read Annie Proulx. It is amazing how much story she covers in so few pages. Her spare prose, concise style and quiet intensity really worked for me.

An absolutely beautiful, heartbreaking love story! Makes me wan
Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*
May 27, 2013 Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: next-up

Review to come.

This is the first time I like the movie more than the book...

Aubrey
I'm fucking terrified that yesterday will mean a lackadaisicaling of today, wherein a legal, incorporated, minute change of one of many laws interwoven in the Hetereosexual Agenda banishes the rest to the "what more could you need?" closet and the society spectacle incineration. This work has been termed apolitical by some, but seriously, how can you call a history of human sacrifice apolitical? Not even dwelling on the money, status, and human network so often illegally amputated and afterwards ...more
Rohisa
Yes, "Brokeback Mountain" is a love story. Yes It's also about two conflicted men sublimating their homosexuality to heterosexual convention. About friendship. About male bonding. And, Yes, about cowboys, the West, prejudice, being true to oneself (or not), the consequences of feigned affection and the consequences of failing to fully honor real affection. All of this Annie Proulx crams into 55 pages.

These 55 pages slayed me

Who's to say what we will love?. It needn't be conventional as Jack and
JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust
This novel is surprisingly short . . . which makes it difficult to rate the book unbiasedly :-/ I found myself replaying the (exceptional) movie in my mind the entire time.

. . .

. . .

. . . . Now please excuse my while I imagine this scene over and over again ..

#neednewovaries

Cecily
I read this as part of a collection, Close Range: Brokeback Mountain and Other stories, reviewed here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..., along with additional quotations, and comments on the language.

I knew this exquisite story well from the film, and the two are very similar.

It is a story of unexpected and irresistible passion, longing and loss - understated and never graphic.

Jack and Ennis meet, lust and love one summer, and meet up over the years, despite starting more conventional
Caroline
***NO SPOILERS***

“Gay cowboy love story” may be how it’s often summed up, but that’s flippant. Brokeback Mountain is emotional, resonant, and ultimately gut-wrenching--and quietly so. This is a humble story, tightly focused almost exclusively on young Wyoming cowboys Ennis and Jack as they spend a summer working together on Brokeback Mountain. Before long they’re forced to reconcile their love for each other with their everyday, conventional, socially acceptable lives.

What’s most powerful about
Becky
I never really had any intention of reading this book. I've never seen the movie either. (Though I might now. I'm curious how they handled it.) Stories about ranchers & cowboys don't exactly draw me in. To be honest, Annie Proulx's stories don't have much appeal to me in general. I can't really put my finger on it, but they just don't scream "Read me!" when I see one.

Anyway, I had to go to the library to stop them from billing me for a book I'd already returned, and while I was there, I hap
Duane
This is a short story, sixty four pages, but Annie Proulx crafted a heck of a story in sixty four pages. The characters, even the minor ones, are described so vividly that ever detail is burned into your mind. The same with the setting, the back ranges of rugged Wyoming and the small cowboy towns, place you right in the middle of Ennis and Jack's existence. The story, as most people know from the movie, is about the love these two young men find with one another. Even though they are both marri ...more
Joca
May 31, 2016 Joca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
O filme de 2005 é um dos meus favoritos de sempre e só anos depois de o ter visto pela primeira vez é que percebi que foi inspirado num conto de Annie Proulx com o mesmo título publicado em 1997.

Ontem à noite peguei finalmente nele e deixo a minha opinião completa aqui:
Jenny
Apr 30, 2008 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recentreads
I enjoyed reading the short story two weeks ago and finally had the opportunity to see the movie. I was concerned about the film staying true to the short story in terms of characterization and atmosphere. The reading was enjoyable; I didn’t want to sour the memory of it by an unfulfilling movie. I was pleasantly surprised. Director Ang Lee and screen writers Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana did a brilliant job of interpreting and synchronizing the original text into a script. I honestly feel tha ...more
Adam
This short story is about the choices we make, and the consequences we have to live with.

I haven't watched 'Brokeback Mountain', though I've been meaning to for years now. I'm not a big movie-watcher, so it always gets pushed back. But I am a big reader, so I thought I might as well read the short story that inspired the movie.
description

Ennis and Jack's romance isn't pretty. It's a reflection of the time and place they were living in. The two are mean to each other, and to the women they married. Yet they
Zaara
Dec 15, 2014 Zaara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes words come together in ways that twist knives you didn't know you still had in your gut.
Proulx achieves this with a stark economy (tautology almost, but I wanted both words) that leaves you both breathless and on the verge of hyperventilation.
It's been long since I had such a visceral reaction to the written word.
I wanted it to last longer. And at the same time, I can't see how it could have.
Exquisite!
¸. • * ° *❧Gwen❧ •°**★
5 Heartfelt Stars!

GAWD, Jack and Ennis....they love so hard.

The book, the message IMO, was about homophobia. And it was a bitch to read. (view spoiler)
Serena Yates
Jul 20, 2010 Serena Yates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
This book was chosen for me in the 'pick it for me challenge' in the m/m romance group here on goodreads. It's a classic (or should be), I saw the movie years ago, and I was amazed how short the book is.

This is one of the most well written stories I have ever read. In places, it is more like a sketch than a painting. And yet it describes the main characters and their awful dilemma and, ultimately, suffering in such clear pictures that it broke my heart all over again.

This is one of the few "trag
Vivian
Mar 03, 2014 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, romance
Awww….Hell.

The quiet crush of depression creeps up on you with this one. At first, I was wondering about all the fuss as the the first third of the story laid out. By the midsection, the road ahead was pretty obvious, but didn't take any of the wallop out of the end. Bloody, Motherfuckin', God-Damned Sonnabitch!

Two men with no clue how to get what they really want and wasting time until there ain't no more.
Petra X
May 05, 2015 Petra X rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is the first audio book I've 'read'. It was much more akin to listening to a radio play than sitting reading a book. There was no effort involved and by the nuancing of the narrator the book was interpreted for me. It was fast-paced, no time to sit and ponder a paragraph, no natural break between chapters just a pause. I can't say I enjoyed it, it felt fake, it felt like cheating, it felt like the dumbed-down version - all the work done for me and no need to particularly concentrate either, ...more
Rachel Eliason
Lau
«Ojalá supiera cómo renunciar a tí.»

Me sorprendió mucho la forma tan linda de escribir de Annie Proulx. Es poético y muy específico al mismo tiempo. Todo en esta historia corta ocurre rápido, como el paso de los años. Eso sin embargo no nos va a impedir sufrir. Están avisados.

Esta es la historia de Jack Twist y Ennis del Mar, dos cowboys pastores de ovejas (¿o sheepboys?) que se conocen por accidente gracias a un trabajo en Brokeback Mountain. Entre ellos surge una atracción que los toma por
MsMelbourne
I don't even know where to start on this one. I read it almost 24 hours ago and it has played on a loop in my brain since then.
Another reviewer used the word 'bereft' when describing how this book made them feel. I think that's a pretty accurate emotional description.

Proulx's writing is sublime. I'm certain I don't have enough words in my vocabulary to describe how intensely, eerily beautiful her prose is. From the first paragraph I couldn't look away. I kept re-reading sections because her wr
Skip
Jun 20, 2007 Skip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rural America
This story is probably the perfect length for laying out in the yard on a Sunday afternoon. I'm thinking of a hammock...

But anyway, I guess we're supposed to talk about the "writing."
A real economy of language. Very sparse. It's like Proulx kept carving away down to just what was essential. And yet, this beautiful landscape and beautiful (and sad) love story comes through so sharply.

You almost can't not mention the film.
And I have to say, I was pretty impressed. Lots of detalil in the film. I
Lyndi Borthwick
Apr 14, 2016 Lyndi Borthwick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Annie Proulx has written some of the most original and brilliant short stories in contemporary literature, and for many readers and reviewers, "Brokeback Mountain" is her masterpiece.
Ennis del Mar and Jack Twist, two ranch hands, come together when they're working as sheepherder and camp tender one summer on a range above the tree line. At first, sharing an isolated tent, the attraction is casual, inevitable, but something deeper catches them that summer.

Both men work hard, marry, and have kid
Jake
Nov 21, 2012 Jake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a heavy story. Jesus, the weight of the world slowly and carefully swallowing up two semi-urban cowboys in the 1960s. Time rolls over them, society waits in the shadows for them, and all you can do is try to hope everything will be ok when you know that it probably won't. There's no humor, no optimism. It's just brutal reality creeping into the souls of two good dudes trying make lives together and separately. The only problem I have was that how it started off was too quick and wi ...more
Adrienne
Jun 27, 2009 Adrienne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was an impulse buy for me::i haven't seen the film::and must of missed all the hype surrounding the story when the film was made::aslo i haven't (on purpose) read any other reviews for this::so i went into blind so to speak::the first thing that surprised me was it is a short story::the second::the fact that it is set in the twentyith century::altho after reading it i can fully understand why::

what struck me about this story is that it isn't romantic::it isn't sexual::its about emotion
Giedre
Apr 07, 2016 Giedre rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5
Proulx packs a lot in this famous short story, and I applaud her for that. Still, there were moments in there that felt a bit too sparse. What hit me the most were the final words:
(view spoiler)
Heartbreaking.
Annie
Feb 10, 2016 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
Two things about this book completely shocked me. First, I never would have thought it would only be 55 pages long. When I think of a book that has been adapted into a movie, it's typically a full-length novel that I think of. Second, I never would have thought that a 55-page story could have the depth of emotion and make the impact that this one has.

Brokeback Mountain is a heart-wrenching story of love and loss and, god, in so few words Annie Proulx tells a beautiful, sad, complete story that
Sumati
A cowboy story with superfluous descriptions of gunslingers and traditional masculine bravado has always been and still is very stifling, repellent and misleading to me. Lingering on this thought I started the book and to my surprise I loved it! Two men falling deeply in love with each other doomed in this homophobic world typifies the suggestion that love can exist in any form, against all odds. Now, for me what remained stifling in this book was the society’s powerful indictment of male love, ...more
Vanessa (V.C.)
Oct 03, 2012 Vanessa (V.C.) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Brokeback Mountain is such a short read that you can read it in one sitting. Despite its length though and how quickly you can get through it, there were many flaws about this short story that hindered me from really enjoying it.

I couldn't stand the writing style. Far too many run-on sentences that I found so distracting and annoying. Scenes seem to begin and end so quickly that it is as if it didn't happen at all. Though the characters are somewhat interesting, there is no depth...the dialogue
500 Great Books B...: Brokeback Mountain - Annie Proulx - Kathleen 3 16 Apr 11, 2016 10:40PM
Books2Movies Club: Brokeback Mountain 8 32 Apr 02, 2016 09:38AM
2016 Reading Chal...: Brokeback Mountain - Annie Proulx 4 22 Feb 05, 2016 01:31PM
Relevant books to Brokeback Mountain? 4 81 Jan 29, 2015 01:49AM
  • The Charioteer
  • The Front Runner (Harlan's Story, #1)
  • Almost Like Being in Love
  • Becoming a Man: Half a Life Story
  • The Catch Trap
  • Like People in History
  • Comfort and Joy
  • The Lost Language of Cranes
  • Latter Days
  • As Meat Loves Salt
  • The Normal Heart & The Destiny of Me (two plays)
  • At Swim, Two Boys
  • Dancer from the Dance
  • Last Summer
1262010
Also published as E. Annie Proulx
Edna Annie Proulx is an American journalist and author. Her second novel, The Shipping News (1993), won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the National Book Award for fiction in 1994. Her short story "Brokeback Mountain" was adapted as an Academy Award, BAFTA and Golden Globe Award-winning major motion picture released in 2005. Brokeback Mountain received massive c
More about Annie Proulx...

Wyoming Stories (3 books)
  • Close Range
  • Bad Dirt
  • Fine Just the Way it Is

“I wish I knew how to quit you.” 353 likes
“There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.” 98 likes