Start by marking “Please Don't Just Do What I Tell You! Do What Needs to Be Done: Every Employee's Guide to Making Work More Rewarding” as Want to Read:

The author of the million-copy-selling 1001 Ways series shows how to get ahead by fulfilling every employers ultimate expectation. This book contains a clear message: Every boss wants an effective worker to do what most needs to be done without having to be asked. Simple? Perhaps. Easy? Not on your life. But thanks to Bob Nelson, employers and employees everywhere will be ...more
Published March 1st 2002 by Hyperion (first published 2001)

Be the first to ask a question about Please Don't Just Do What I Tell You! Do What Needs to Be Done

Michael Nelson
Apr 16, 2014 Michael Nelson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is based on the idea that you shouldn't just do what is being told you need to do what needs to be done. Bob Nelson writes to the general public about this book in ways to not only accept what is being asked of you as a worker but to challenge it. Find ways to go above and beyond by pushing yourself as an employee. The book itself is a very easy read and is a few pages over a hundred so I feel that this is a great suggestion to get you thinking about where you are in your career. The o ...more
Jerel Bonner
This book is a must read for anyone finishing school and getting ready to enter the work force. It will really help them learn how to plan their lives.

This book is filled with many actionable and doable ideas, and can be a great resource for a manager, that wants to give some advise to a direct report on what to change.

Only a short 100 pages long, this book can be read before you finish a cup of coffee.
Angela
Sep 02, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
I used this book to help me develop an 8 hour team building day for my staff. It brought up some useful items, many of which I felt were obvious but it made me realize that some employees need more help than others in being successful in their jobs. The United States Navy has used this on their professional reading list previously.
Christy
Feb 03, 2012 Christy rated it it was ok
I read this to see if it might be good for my supervisee's and I think it will be. It is pretty much common sense if you want to be a valuable employee that you need to be working to make the company better but surprising how many people don't get that. I will probably use parts from this in training.
Vikas Agarwal
Apr 14, 2014 Vikas Agarwal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is based on how to improve your job profile and life. it more speaks about the way you should do the work which you feel you should do. Its a very less time taking book so any one can finish it in couple of hours.
Carl
very basic reading but good reading . allows you to refocus on your game plan or even give insightful ways to create a ame plan to reinvent your workplacke ethics and goal setting skills to be an elite in any arena of employment
Caitlin
I mean, it was ok. Had to read it for work. Might as well count towards my goal, right?
Cathy
Jul 18, 2009 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good business book
Igor Santos
Dec 25, 2013 Igor Santos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muito bom.
Andrei
Aug 27, 2013 Andrei rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The only self-help book I ever read. Made me feel very guilty at the time.
Nancy D.
Nancy D. rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2013
Vitor Navarro
Vitor Navarro rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Jabulisa Ncube
Jabulisa Ncube rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2013
Honor Jensen
Honor Jensen rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Fernando
Fernando rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Sherrie
Sherrie rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2014
Guilherme Canhetti
Guilherme Canhetti rated it it was ok
Nov 24, 2013
Edward Taylor jr
Edward Taylor jr rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2013
Cristina Thelemaque
Cristina Thelemaque rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Yurifauzi
Yurifauzi rated it it was ok
Oct 17, 2012
Took4ever Hayes
Took4ever Hayes rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2008
Cortney Decker
Cortney Decker rated it did not like it
Oct 20, 2011
Teresa Ell
Teresa Ell rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2013
Neeraj
Neeraj rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2012
Frederick Ravikumar
Frederick Ravikumar rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2014
Bhanu
Bhanu rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2013
John Wimmer
John Wimmer rated it really liked it
May 13, 2014
Arpit Sood
Arpit Sood rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2012
Pablo Silva
Pablo Silva rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Focus: The Future of Your Company Depends on It
  • Managing The Professional Service Firm
  • Lessons from the Mouse
  • The Doctors Book of Food Remedies: The Latest Findings on the Power of Food to Treat and Prevent Health Problems - From Aging and Diabetes to Ulcers and Yeast Infections
  • The United States of Wal-Mart
  • Homosexuality and Christian Faith: Questions of Conscience for the Churches
  • O Código da Inteligência
  • Is It a Choice?: Answers to the Most Frequently Asked Questions about Gay & Lesbian People
  • 100 Simple Secrets of Great Relationships: What Scientists Have Learned and How You Can Use It
  • Missed Fortune 101: A Starter Kit to Becoming a Millionaire
  • 13 fatal errors managers make and how you can avoid them
  • Broken Windows, Broken Business
  • Simplify Your Life. Einfacher und glücklicher Leben
  • Making Breakthrough Innovations Happen
  • 212: The Extra Degree
  • How to Become a Great Boss: The Rules for Getting and Keeping the Best Employees
  • The Rise and Fall of British Naval Mastery