Start by marking “Майтрейи” as Want to Read:
Майтрейи

Майтрейи

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  8,290 ratings  ·  119 reviews
От издателя
Поэтичная и трагическая история любви европейца Аллана и индианки Майтрейи рассказана Мирчей Элиаде, крупнейшим писателем XXстолетия.
Published 2002 by Азбука (first published January 1st 1933)

To ask other readers questions about Майтрейи, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Майтрейи

Andreea
I hate him! He gets what he wants, then leaves, doing all kinds of stupid stuff because suffering for love is just so poetic and everybody just loves a sad hero... Or in the beginning when he just couldn't admit what he really thought and mocked everything Indian so that he wouldn't look bad. And in the end he just HAD to be such a cynic about that girl's thoughts <.<

I don't feel like rating this. There were some things I liked but I can't remember them because I'm too furious. I shall rat
Angela
Jul 31, 2007 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the sophisticated natures
An absolutely fabulous love story beetwen different worlds, but essentialy the same...The atmoshere is fantastic...you can smell the parfurmes, can taste the flavours, can feel that delicate "sari"...can even think in that specific way..that Maitreyi is used to...
Fabulous and sweet and touching!
Julien M.
I love it and I hate it at the same time, if that is at all possible. I just finished reading it for the second time and, I don't really remember anything like this after reading it the first time, but it hit something inside me, wherever and whatever that is, and a very weird combination of feelings surfaced. I suppose Eliade succeeded in making the reader, or at least me, feel as close as possible to what he must have felt back then, if not towards Maitreyi, at least towards the book itself. B ...more
Alex
This book is one of my favorite ones. It sure deserves a 10 star rating in the original language. I have read it in Romanian and it completely stole my consciousness for 2 days of reading. A sad true love story.
Maitreyi Devi wrote *It Does Not Die. A Romance* as a response to Eliades book.
Diana Cigher
Jun 11, 2013 Diana Cigher rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Diana by: my romanian teacher
I was planning on reading this book for a very long time and now that we were asked to read it for our Romanian class I thought that this was the perfect opportunity. I actually think that this book is one of very few that I'm really glad that it is included in the scholarly program, because, to be honest, the other books and authors are really lame. Or maybe it is just my unconditional love for Eliade's literature.
What I liked most about this book was that I could actually see the love growing
Cristian
This is another of those books that everybody seems to like except me. I think the main problem is that I found the main character - a thinly veiled author avatar - completely unsympathetic and ofter quite infuriating in his arrogant and clumsy handling of a foreign culture and others' feelings. It almost felt as if this was a 'villain protagonist' book sometimes.
Andreea
Momentously racist / orientalist / makes me hate humanity, remembering that I once saw no problem with all the bizarre things Eliade writes / does to Indian culture in this book makes me want to hurt myself...
mircea
o interactiune instinctuala cu incercari de anulare a anumitor limite/constrangeri... o metamorfoza pe nesimtite ce-o vad a fi inevitabila unui tanar fascinat de cat mai autenticul 'oriental'. Unul din acele lucruri ce trebuie facute cat mai devreme in viata, desi poate ca unii nu reusesc niciodata sa iasa din ei nici macar pentru asa o scurta bucata de timp precum s-a dovedit a fi intreaga poveste cuprinsa in aceasta carte.

O frumoasa poveste despre contrasturi si o anumita iesire din sine prin
Flocosix
Deși scrisă frumos și cu detalii deosebite, de obicei foarte puțin prețuite în alte cărți, m-a plictisit. Totul merge încet și previzibil, ba sunt eroii în extaz, ba gîndesc la moarte și plîng, și tot așa pe tot parcursul istoriei, fără mare sens, scenariu și interes. Se presupune că descrierea detaliată a emoțiilor și interacțiunii dintre acești 2 îndrăgostiți, necătînd de cît de ridicole sunt uneori, este destula pentru a capta interesul. Păi, nu este.
Apreciez calitatea cărții, dar nu mi-a tre
Madalina
Well-written, but this one has friends in the final exam reading list if you're in for that kind of thing. Most of them have something besides the seemingly endless baroque assembly of themes, motifs and endless turns of phrase.

So if I didn't get bored but that still doesn't mean there's merit in the sotry. As I see it, she opens her soul to him and he calls her primitive instead of listening. He understands (or does a good job pretending to) next to nothing about their culture and he leads her
Aniela
The novel is very well written, but unfortunately, despite a good understanding of the Indian culture, the author kept his Occidental view on the Indian world. Good knowledge, but bad insight. Eliade's other novels based on his Romanian background are far better.
Corina
A book of spontaneous intense feelings lied on white paper. A book of out-of-this-world sensuality of a young girl and the sexual desire of a man, the belief of spiritual and erotic bound.
Allie R.
It was probably the only book that I had to read for school so far and actually enjoyed.
Lindy
I adored Mircea Eliade's work on myth and religion years ago so read this book with my own lingering love in mind. This novel is semi-autobiographic, published in 1950 and reprinted many times. Eliade writes about a young English engineer in love with an Indian girl. That is the story. It is written in the first person and it is intense. The brilliance of the novel is that, despite the intense focus on love and pain, it teaches so much about India and Britain at the time in which it set (1930s). ...more
Realini
Maitreyi by Mircea Eliade
The fascination of the Orient

I found this story interesting on the second encounter.
It is not just an interesting love story between a European and an Indian girl, but also an opportunity to think about philosophy, communicating across cultures and the clash that sometimes replaces dialogue.
In the first place, the hero- Alain is accepted into the Indian family that somehow adopts this foreigner.
But at first sight, between him and Maitreyi there is a kind of coupe de foud
Sara
All i can say is WOW! This book really impressed me, and is definetely outstanding among the other literature that i should read for school.The story kept me under pressure,that from the half of the book, i couldn't put it down without reading till the end. The book reverses one's thoughts, beliefs and understanding about indian culture. The author shows in his work the depth of asian spirit and demonstrates the major differences of relationship aproach between european and asian people.
Alecu Matraguna
cea mai tare poveste de dragoste citită până acum. cartea e vibrație pură.
Dℯℯ▲
This is literally the only book I ever had to read for school and actually enjoyed it.
I loved it to bits and read it quite fast too (for a school reading assignment, I mean).
But then again, Eliade is Eliade. He's wonderful, he's a classic and I just love his work.
Lorena
A book about the many differences in cultures, cultures and love, impediments, human beeings who think different but they love in the same strong way.
Raluca
It's an emotional book,sincere...I loved the way Eliade knew to reveal things in such way to make us feel the same way he felt.
Eduard
Aug 25, 2013 Eduard rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eduard by: My Romanian Teacher
------------------------------Introduction-----------------------------

Maitreyi by Mircea Eliade is,for me,one of the best Romanian books I've read(until the date of this review)along with Elevul Dima dintr-a şaptea by Mihail Drumeş.

------------------------------Story-----------------------------
The story is written from the point of view of Allan,a 24-year old man from Europe that is currently living in Calcutta,India.There,he works for an engineer,called Narendra Sen.Shortly,after a beautiful
Bindu
Having just finished it, I'm still quite unsure of what I've just read. Mircea 's prose is soulful and reflective and written with a poignancy and sentimentality that transports me to the British Raj in Calcutta; where imperialism drips down to the very sheets you sex between. Mircea ingeniously captures the turmoil of a man disgusted by his own enrapture with everything he is told to be inferior. I am not convinced of the genuinity of his love for Ms Devi - cynicism prevails here I'm afraid; he ...more
Bianca
This is the first book I have ever read twice and it was so much worth it! I first read it in my high school years as part of the Romanian literature curriculum and it was love at first page. I had heard that the female protagonist of the book, Maitreyi, wrote herself a novel as a response to Eliade’s Maitreyi and Bengal Nights.
Some years later I got hold of her novel (‘It Does Not Die: A Romance’) and I started reading it in parallel with ‘Maitreyi’. It is one of the rare instances in literatu
Ella Link
I am definitely giving this book 5 stars. The style is soft, and yet sometimes cut-throat, just as we got used to find in Eliade's books. It is not classified as a tragedy, because the main character doesn't love, or sacrifice enough, for the love story to be called a tragedy.
He is an immutable egocentric, who from the beginning asks himself the question: "How can I be tied down into a marriage?! How can I lose my freedom??".
Thus, by the end of the book, even though one would think that he is
Ionut Tiu
Am crezut ca o tin minte din adolescenta, cand am citit-o prima data, dar nu mai tineam minte mare lucru in afara de faptul ca m-a marcat. Lucrul care m-a frapat acum a fost ca citind o carte, n-am putut niciodata sa plang cum plang la un film, indiferent cat de trista este cartea! Iar Maitreyi este pentru mine o carte trista, o iubire ideala. Aceasta carte o voi asocia mereu cu Adam si Eva si Cel mai iubit dintre pamanteni. Toate trei ocupa un loc special in sufletul meu.
Recomandata la orice va
anda
stilul lui Mircea Eliade m-a lovit prin abundența sa în expresivitate și simțiri. numai pentru asta i-aş da 4 steluțe dar totuși am observat o anume exagerare care nu mi-a făcut o impresie prea bună. plus că Maitreyi pare a fi mult prea "înfundată" în propria ei lume. plus că au fost pasaje care nu m-au prins, unele lucruri au fost mai mult decât previzibile și intr-un final am ales un 3.5
Katrina
Written simply, poetically and thoughtfully. An intriguing description of forbidden love, "man" vs. "woman," "Eastern" vs. "Western" ways, "fiction" vs. "nonfiction" and pretty much what makes us human and value being human. A surprisingly rich book made all the more intriguing now that I know there's another view of the "true" part of the story written by the woman 40 years later....
Anna
Not really my idea of a good book. It focuses way to much on creating an original and believable world that it leaves the character lacking and it makes it hard for the reader to relate to the story and it's meaning. If this wasn't mandatory and I was sure it wouldn't show up on my final exam, I don't think I would have gotten past the first 20 pages.
Nika Siman
Este cel mai gingas si tot odata cel mai salbatic roman de dragoste pe care l-am citit.
Cristi
pentru un prim roman nu e rau, la fel ca si werther a lui goethe: e simplu fara prea multa filozofie, putin erotism, multa dragoste, suferinta ecc. pt je a fost o lectura destul de indiferenta
  • Adam și Eva
  • Momente şi schiţe
  • Plumb
  • Moromeții I (Moromeții, #1)
  • Enigma Otiliei
  • Ultima noapte de dragoste, întîia noapte de război
  • Elevul Dima dintr-a VII-A
  • Amintiri din copilărie
  • Cişmigiu et Comp.
  • Sărmanul Dionis
  • Legendele Olimpului [Vol. I+II]
Romanian-born historian of religion, fiction writer, philosopher, professor at the University of Chicago, and one of the pre-eminent interpreters of world religion in this century. Eliade was an intensely prolific author of fiction and non-fiction alike, publishing over 1,300 pieces over 60 years. He earned international fame with LE MYTHE DE L'ÉTERNAL RETOUR (1949, The Myth of the Eternal Return) ...more
More about Mircea Eliade...
The Sacred and the Profane: The Nature of Religion Nuntă în cer Le Roman de l'adolescent myope Mademoiselle Christina La ţigănci & Pe strada Mîntuleasa The Gypsy / Mîntuleasa Street

“Am iubit întotdeauna pe mai multe planuri, n-am ştiut să sacrific totul pentru un sâmbure de adevăr sau de viaţă, de aceea m-am lovit de toate pragurile şi m-au dus valurile cum au vrut.” 48 likes
“Nu puteam crede că sunt și eu asemenea celorlalte mii de muritori nefericiți, care iubesc și uită, și mor fără să socotească nimic etern, nimic definitiv.” 38 likes