Start by marking “The Economic Way of Thinking” as Want to Read:
The Economic Way of Thinking

The Economic Way of Thinking

Meant for a one-semester survey course in general economics, this book develops the basic principles of micro and macroeconomic analysis, and employs them as tools rather than ends. It introduces a method of reasoning to think like an economist through example and application. It presents the errors in much popular reasoning about economic events.
Published February 11th 2005 by Prentice Hall (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Economic Way of Thinking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Economic Way of Thinking

Angela
Nov 25, 2007 Angela rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who'd like to figure out what the whole "economics" thing is about, really
Shelves: nonfiction-text
Can't believe I'm giving five stars to a textbook! But then again, I can't remember ever actually reading a textbook through, start to finish. This book really was amazingly well written, insightful, and informative. n.b: it is written to a freshman-in-college level audience, but that mostly shows up in some of the examples used. I think I would have read it even if I hadn't had to!
Marek Svoboda
Mar 09, 2013 Marek Svoboda rated it it was amazing
The best textbook of ANYTHING I ever read - in other words, not only valuable in content but the very best in methodology and approach. Stimulates thinking about economy and in general.
Fiddlinmike
Aug 16, 2014 Fiddlinmike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an economics textbook that actually teaches something useful. There are some charts and graphs, but the main focus is to develop a thought process, not to present vocabulary and formulas to memorize. The first half of the book focuses on basic human interactions that define "economics" using simple examples. Armed with that understanding, the reader moves to the second half to understand more "macro" issues that will be familiar to anyone who pays attention to national news. The concepts ...more
Paul Bard
Feb 11, 2014 Paul Bard rated it it was amazing
"The Economic Way of Thinking" is THE best piece of economic writing. In five pages Heyne gives a WHOLE SEMESTER of knowledge. The language is transparent like no other economist's has ever been.

Theologian and economist Paul Heyne selects five concepts as doorways into economics: economizing actions, marginal decisions, opportunity costs, interactions between economizers, and markets and prices.

The essay and other words by the author are available at the Online Library of Liberty: oll.libertyfun
John
Jul 06, 2013 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: economics
I always used to want to write my ideal economics textbook. Then I read this book and realised that Heyne, Boettke, and Prychitko had already written it. Clear enough in its exposition to be accessible to the general reader whose interest in economics might have been piqued by something like Freakonomics, and heterogeneous enough in its outlook to interest and challenge a well read but orthodox economist, this is one of the best books on the subject I've ever read.
Eugene Griaznov
Apr 10, 2013 Eugene Griaznov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economy
Эта книга познакомила меня с экономикой, как с наукой о процессах, происходящих в обществе. Она убедительно рассказывает о том, что само собой сложившиеся вещи складываются по определённым законам. А осознание этих законов позволяют предсказывать будущее. Давно прочитал страниц двести и отложил, а недавно понял, что теперь про экономику мне надо читать уже другие книги: либо более свежие, либо классические труды.
Lisa
Aug 07, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book opened my eyes and changed my life for the better. Once you understand basic economic concepts, it is much easier to discern which politicians are telling you the hard truth about your economy, and which ones are saying what people want to hear in order to get themselves elected. Every voter who wants to be informed should understand economics (the basics, because it is a big complicated field of study) and this is a great book to start with.
Yilin Wong
Just read the review and realized that this is a textbook =_=||
But it's very interesting book to read even just for recreational purposes. Although I'll highly recommend to take some notes while reading.
Trent Rock
Oct 12, 2009 Trent Rock rated it really liked it
This a pretty good book for a general overview of economics..The author has a witty style and uses great real life examples....If you read it cover to cover I think you should have a pretty good grasp of the dismal science...
Charles
Oct 11, 2009 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My college Economics textbook, from Econ 101(?) with Tony Carilli. I received a B- in the class, as I could have read the text a bit more carefully, which is why I'm reading it again.
Craig Brown
Craig Brown rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
David R
Jan 24, 2013 David R rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was literally the worst textbook, let alone micro economics textbook I have ever used.
Tyler
Tyler rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2008
Joseph
Joseph rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2009
Yaroslav
Yaroslav rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Tina
Sep 28, 2013 Tina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
ტვინის ჭმა :v
Austen Erickson
Austen Erickson rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2017
Darin Chambers
Darin Chambers rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2011
Katarina
Katarina rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Hldev
Hldev rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2010
Raymond
Raymond rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2012
Felix Lim
Felix Lim rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Elena
Elena rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Orlando S.
Orlando S. rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2016
Chebanse
Chebanse rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2013
Wannangel
Wannangel rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2012
Marc Porlier
Marc Porlier rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Tista Kundu
Jul 04, 2012 Tista Kundu marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rhetorics
Yet to read this book
Pavel
Pavel rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Failure of the New Economics
  • Money Mischief: Episodes in Monetary History
  • The Great Inflation and Its Aftermath: The Past and Future of American Affluence
  • Public Finance
  • The Big Questions: Tackling the Problems of Philosophy with Ideas from Mathematics, Economics and Physics
  • The Clash of Economic Ideas
  • An Austrian Perspective on the History of Economic Thought
  • Denationalisation of Money: The Argument Refined
  • Illiberal Reformers: Race, Eugenics, and American Economics in the Progressive Era
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Economics
  • Operations Research: Applications and Algorithms (with CD-ROM and InfoTrac)
  • Maestro: Greenspan's Fed and the American Boom
  • Strategy: Process, Content, Context--An International Perspective
  • Golden Fetters: The Gold Standard and the Great Depression, 1919-1939
  • Advanced Macroeconomics
  • The Great Game: The Emergence of Wall Street as a World Power 1653-2000
  • Economic Policy
  • Management [With Access Code]
Paul T. Heyne was a professor in economics at the University of Washington, Seattle, United States.
More about Paul Heyne...