Start by marking “The Economic Way of Thinking” as Want to Read:
The Economic Way of Thinking

The Economic Way of Thinking

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Meant for a one-semester survey course in general economics, this book develops the basic principles of micro and macroeconomic analysis, and employs them as tools rather than ends. It introduces a method of reasoning to think like an economist through example and application. It presents the errors in much popular reasoning about economic events.
Published February 11th 2005 by Prentice Hall (first published January 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Economic Way of Thinking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Economic Way of Thinking

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillGood to Great by James C. CollinsGetting Things Done by David Allen
Best Business Books
294th out of 409 books — 744 voters
The Jetstream of Success by Julian PencilliahFreakonomics by Steven D. LevittGetting Things Done by David AllenWalking the Corporate Beat by Michael TabmanSecret to Startup Failure by Sonia Lin
Books Every Businessperson Should Read
127th out of 247 books — 161 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul Bard
"The Economic Way of Thinking" is THE best piece of economic writing. In five pages Heyne gives a WHOLE SEMESTER of knowledge. The language is transparent like no other economist's has ever been.

Theologian and economist Paul Heyne selects five concepts as doorways into economics: economizing actions, marginal decisions, opportunity costs, interactions between economizers, and markets and prices.

The essay and other words by the author are available at the Online Library of Liberty: oll.libertyfun
Angela
Jan 02, 2008 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who'd like to figure out what the whole "economics" thing is about, really
Shelves: nonfiction-text
Can't believe I'm giving five stars to a textbook! But then again, I can't remember ever actually reading a textbook through, start to finish. This book really was amazingly well written, insightful, and informative. n.b: it is written to a freshman-in-college level audience, but that mostly shows up in some of the examples used. I think I would have read it even if I hadn't had to!
Marek Svoboda
The best textbook of ANYTHING I ever read - in other words, not only valuable in content but the very best in methodology and approach. Stimulates thinking about economy and in general.
Lisa
Aug 07, 2010 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book opened my eyes and changed my life for the better. Once you understand basic economic concepts, it is much easier to discern which politicians are telling you the hard truth about your economy, and which ones are saying what people want to hear in order to get themselves elected. Every voter who wants to be informed should understand economics (the basics, because it is a big complicated field of study) and this is a great book to start with.
Евгений
Эта книга познакомила меня с экономикой, как с наукой о процессах, происходящих в обществе. Она убедительно рассказывает о том, что само собой сложившиеся вещи складываются по определённым законам. А осознание этих законов позволяют предсказывать будущее. Давно прочитал страниц двести и отложил, а недавно понял, что теперь про экономику мне надо читать уже другие книги: либо более свежие, либо классические труды.
Trent Rock
This a pretty good book for a general overview of economics..The author has a witty style and uses great real life examples....If you read it cover to cover I think you should have a pretty good grasp of the dismal science...
Charles
My college Economics textbook, from Econ 101(?) with Tony Carilli. I received a B- in the class, as I could have read the text a bit more carefully, which is why I'm reading it again.
David R
This was literally the worst textbook, let alone micro economics textbook I have ever used.
Tista Kundu
Jul 04, 2012 Tista Kundu marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rhetorics
Yet to read this book
Kamikaze
ტვინის ჭმა :v
Dato Abzianidze
Dato Abzianidze is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2014
Lacy
Lacy added it
Dec 03, 2014
Arjun Manna
Arjun Manna marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
N
N marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Tamuna
Tamuna added it
Oct 03, 2014
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Dries Glorieux
Dries Glorieux marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Gerry
Gerry marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Houcine Kdr
Houcine Kdr marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Даниил Ганиев
Даниил Ганиев is currently reading it
Sep 12, 2014
Upender Singh
Upender Singh marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Ahmed بك
Ahmed بك marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Theory of Money and Credit
  • Money Mischief: Episodes in Monetary History
  • Economics for Real People: An Introduction to the Austrian School
  • Man, Economy, and State with Power and Market: Government and Economy
  • Organization Theory and Design (with InfoTrac)
  • The Failure of the New Economics
  • Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes And How To Correct Them: Lessons From The New Science Of Behavioral Economics
  • Economic Sophisms
  • Calculus: Early Transcendentals
  • Management and Cost Accounting
  • The Invisible Hook: The Hidden Economics of Pirates
  • Policy Paradox: The Art of Political Decision Making
  • Global Economic History: A Very Short Introduction
  • Principles of Economics
  • Exorbitant Privilege: The Rise and Fall of the Dollar and the Future of the International Monetary System
  • Principles Of Corporate Finance
  • Applied Economics: Thinking Beyond Stage One
  • Paper Promises: Debt, Money, and the New World Order
A Student's Guide to Economics "Are Economists Basically Immoral?": and Other Essays on Economics, Ethics, and Religion by Paul Heyne Microeconomics Microeconomics The Economic Way Of Thinking Student's Guide to Economics