Start by marking “Duister kwaad (Maggie O'Dell #1)” as Want to Read:
Duister kwaad (Maggie O'Dell #1)

Duister kwaad (Maggie O'Dell #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  13,545 Ratings  ·  501 Reviews
Lincoln, Nebraska. Op woensdag 17 juli vindt Ronald Jeffreys, veroordeeld voor een serie gruwelijke moorden, de dood op de elektrische stoel.
Drie maanden later wordt op een modderige rivieroever vlak bij het naburige Platte City opnieuw een lijk gevonden. Er blijken zoveel overeenkomsten met Jeffreys' werkwijze, dat toeval moet worden uitgesloten. Gaat het hier om een copy
Published June 21st 2006 by Mira Books (first published June 17th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Duister kwaad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duister kwaad

Michelle Maas
Ugh, I quit at page 127. By then Kava has given away the murderer's identity, his motive, his next victim, the love interest. The next 200 pages would reveal how the good guys finally (if ever) catch the bad guy, along with, I assume, more detailed descriptions of child sexual assault, misogynist torture, bludgeonings, drugging, strangling, stabbings, desecrations of corpses. Not my idea of a relaxing summer night's read. I wanted to read it because it was a writer setting her action in Nebraska ...more
Convicted killer Ronald Jeffreys is executed for the murder and desecration of three little boys. He wholeheartedly admits his guilt to one of the three, but goes to his grave professing his innocence for the other two murders. In three short months after the execution, another body of a young boy is found killed in a similar manner. Small town sheriff Nick Morrelli realizes he’s in over his head and lacks the resources to deal with an investigation of such a scale. He enlists the help of Maggie ...more
"A perfect Evil" started out really good but tetered out pretty fast. Overall it was okay, but it's still nowhere near a very good thriller.

The story is pretty predictable --- even though there are several suspects thrown in throughout the story I daresay that anyone with half a brain will know after just a few chapters who the killer is.

The characters are okay (nothing special, though). One thing that I found kinda strange is that even though the book is called "A Perfect Evil - A Maggie O'Dell
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I've just discoved the show "Criminal Minds" and it's become one of my very favorites. So when I picked up this book featuring Maggie O'Dell and she is a criminal profiler for the FBI I just jumped for joy.
Sep 09, 2011 Giselle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I discovered Alex Kava back in 2007 when my husband bought it randomly as a birthday gift. I was always into mystery and suspense novels so I knew I would probably like it, but I had no idea I was going to love it this much.

Maggie is an FBI agent - a profiler - who's on the hunt for a serial killer. It sounds like your average murder mystery I know, but no it's really awesome! This is the first book in the Maggie O'Dell series, but it doesn't read like one. The writing is great and the characte
Narrated by Richard Rowan

10 hrs and 45 mins

Some of the story felt like a Harlequin romance book. It was ok, but the writing was disappointing.

Publisher's Summary

The brutal murders of three young boys paralyze the citizens of Platte City, Nebraska. What's worse is the grim realization that the man recently executed for the crimes was a copycat. When Sheriff Nick Morrelli is called to the scene of another grisly murder, it becomes clear that the real predator is still at large, waiting to kill aga
Jun 13, 2011 Cupcakencorset rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I discovered I had won book 8 in this series in a Goodreads drawing, my usual inability to read a series kicked in... especially when I realized I had, in fact, already read book 3 in 2006. Yes, by itself and out of order! I don't know how I did it, or why, but I decided to rectify the situation. Thus, I acquired the entire series (except, strangely, book 3) and started at the beginning. And what a beginning!

Kava's series features Maggie O'Dell, an 8-year veteran of the FBI when A Perfect E
(3.5 stars). I thought it was a bit long. I thought that the character of Nick was written as incompetent. And as though he didn't have a clue how to do his job. I realize that this is a small town with only minor crimes. It's just that I really liked the character and wanted him to be portrayed as though he, at least, had an idea of how to do his job. The investigation was written in a sloppy way. Kind of all over the place. It didn't seem like they followed the clues or one clue led to another ...more
Gina Barlean
Over all a decent book. Not the stellar writing I was expecting, but I did like the characters and plot line. I liked the ending.
I'm not a fan of books that jump around with sub-plots. I'm sure I'm not the norm regarding that opinion, though. It seemed to drag on. I would have like it to get to the point quicker...probably because I knew who the killer was so early. I kept wondering if there would be a surprise ending and the Ray line kind of led me that direction.
I liked Nick as the flawed ma
When a young boy goes missing and is found brutally murdered in Platte City Nebraska days later, Sheriff Nick Morelli is advised to get help from FBI profiler Maggie O'Dell, especially after it appears to match previous crimes of a serial killer who was executed months earlier. O'Dell, however, is still reeling from a harrowing capture of a vicious killer a month ago where she almost lost her life.

The case was extremely interesting and captured my interest immediately. However, I found the rela
D.B. Reynolds
Aug 01, 2012 D.B. Reynolds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book in the Maggie O'Dell series of romantic suspense ... although there really isn't much romance. I've read the first four books in the series, and so far Maggie has met, been attracted to, and deflected at least two very handsome and charming men. I like these books because the suspense is quite well done, and the mysteries are intriguing. Maggie's self-destructive behavior in the first three books was less attractive, but, aside from her serious issues with personal relationships, ...more
Sharon L
Jul 16, 2013 Sharon L rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
on the one hand, this book had kept me on the edge of my seat while reading it. and O'delle was great- with her fears, her problems, her past and her professionalism.

then, what's the problem? i didn't take me long to realize who the murderer is. and i took me a long time to finish that book. it was(!) a good book, but at some point i felt like the end wasn't going to come. because it dragged.

i'll be the first to admit, when deciding whether i love a book or not it is a question of:
1. the char
Black Butterfly
Apr 10, 2013 Black Butterfly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: AMAZON
Aug 06, 2014 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow I loved this book. I am now a die hard Alex Kava fan after only reading the first in the Maggie O'Dell series.
Nov 14, 2013 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely, truly enjoyed this book. Captivating, twists and twisted, difficult subject matter, very well written, really likeable characters, and a cliff hanger to boot!

Alex Kava knows how to write a book and keep your attention - the killer wasn't always that obvious, she makes you think and second guess yourself - love it!

A bit of romance, just enough and not over done - like that about this book. I don't need graphic sex in my reading - that is what your imagination is for if it is that much
The North Wall
Oct 08, 2013 The North Wall rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to know where to start with this one. I thought I was on the verge of kicking off a new, smart female-centric series that I could get my teeth into. What I ended up with was a sub-par, not very thrilling thriller with a ridiculous Mills & Boon-esque romance simmering, panting, and almost but never quite cavorting in the background.

I was surprised to find alleged series lead Maggie O'Dell relegated to one of many POVs, with the bulk of the initial plot being driven by blander-than-
Nov 21, 2013 Elvan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a book that keeps me up late reading and gets me out of bed early to grab just a few more pages before I start my day. Kava has done a stellar job building characters and settings and her Maggie O'Dell is my kind of strong if tortured protagonist.

I liked the fast pace of this thriller. If the sign of a great book is that you feel like you are scrambling along a cold muddy river bank running and hiding for your life along side the victims and hunters then this is a great book. There are th
Apr 02, 2015 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apr-15
Loved it!
Dec 27, 2013 Muthulakshmi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Muthulakshmi by: Nobody
I finished 5 chapters. Then I said profane things for a while because I am disappointed that yet another book with good reviews, turned out to be such a cop out. Where do I even begin?

Oh yes, the beginning. There we are, getting introduced to a man who raped and killed a little boy and is about to be put to death. Kids, do you know what time it is??

It is confession to Jesus time!!

Dialogue(he strangled the boy): "I waited until he was dead before I cut him. He didn't feel a thing"

Dead people
Jun 17, 2015 Gea rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Een hele spannende thriller. Echt wel leuk alleen wel een beetje bouquet reeks achtig, zo nu en dan, wat ik weer niet zo heel erg leuk vind. Gelukkig was dat maar minimaal dus daar heb ik maar zo’n beetje overheen gelezen.
Mar 25, 2014 Nicole rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This books was truly terrible. I wanted to quit by the 10th chapter, but I usually finish a book once it's started. In this case it's a decision I deeply regret. Time in my life that I could have spent reading something good, is now gone forever.

None of the characters are at all likable and they are all downright stupid. The author had cops destroying evidence and bumbling around like fools. She somehow even made the poor little 10 year old victims stupid. Two children have been kidnapped and ki
Karyn Niedert
I found this book to be a bit of a mixture and therefore not easy to review. On the one hand it was very readable and I never actually put it to one side and went off to read something else! On the other hand neither did I wave it in the air at the end and say what a good book it was. The characters were somehow too flawed and Nick in particular never really redeemed himself at all. But the biggest problem was realising who the murderer was far too early in the book and then watching the so call ...more
 photo LIASOM_zps9e498f89.png

Rating: 4*

Cover: Yay

Review: This book was a really hard one to rate and review because it was a bit of a conundrum. On the one hand it was a real page turner and I couldn't stop reading it but on the other hand it was obvious who the killer was before we'd even got halfway through ..... so why did it manage to keep my interest?!

Then there's the fact that I loved the main characters of Maggie/Nick but then most of the other characters were chauvinistic pigs that I wanted to slap.

I think this boo
Jun 30, 2015 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I'd have to say "A Perfect Evil", by Alex Kava had to be one of the superior suspense thrillers that I've read in a long time. Starting with the first page the story had me sucked it. Very difficult to put down, this one is a shining star. Throughout the book I kept thinking I knew who killer was, but didn't see ending coming. Some very well developed characters added to the suspense throughout book. I found myself rooting for the protagonist Maggie O'Dell. Maggie seems broken in her personal li ...more
Jun 01, 2016 Tanja rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review, read-2016
Das ursprüngliche Zuhause dieser Rezension ist der WortWelten-Blog:

Das Leben von Steriff Nick Morrelli verlief bisher in geregelten und vor allem auch ruhigen Bahnen. Von seiner Jugend als Star-Quarterback der örtlichen Highschool, über seine kurze Zeit als Football-Star am College, bis hin zu seinem Job als Sheriff in Platte City, Nebraska, mit dem er die Nachfolge seines Vaters antrat. Doch als ein kleiner Junge tot aufgefunden wird und alles an
Jan 15, 2016 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, 2016
When a Death Row inmate awaiting execution confesses that he didn't kill two of the three boys he was convicted of murdering, Father Francis was not surprised. He had already heard the confession of the other killer.

A few months later, a young boy disappears. Sheriff Nick Morrelli knows he and his deputies are not prepared for the situation and when the boy's body is found and another child disappears, he contacts FBI Criminal Profiler Maggie O'Dell to put together a picture of the killer.

Mary Beth
I did like the story but it did have some issues. I liked the character Maggie O'Dell. It did have good character development. I did not like the ending. I am looking forward to the next book in the series. I hear it is much better.

There is animal cruelty.
Jul 23, 2016 Gail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a hard one to review in that I liked it and disliked it at times in equal measure. It was very hard going at times and I was considering abandoning at halfway through, but because I loved the character of Maggie O'Dell I carried on and I'm glad I did.

Maggie is an FBI profiler who is sent to Platte City, Nebraska, to help investigate the horrific murders of young boys. These appear to be copycat killings of the recently executed Ronald Jeffreys. Nick Morrelli, is the local Sheriff (who i
Oct 07, 2016 Rhea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I came to this series in a roundabout way. Having read all the Allison Brennan books in two of her series, I was at a loss and she suggested I read JT Ellison's books so I did. But when I reached the end of that series, I bought the novella that has stories from 3 authors, Alex Kava, being one of them. I wasn't sure if I wanted to read the short story without knowing the character so I put it down and picked up A Perfect Evil. Then I couldn't put it down.

Maggie is a likable smart character and h
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question I 15 15 Mar 13, 2016 10:54AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question P 17 14 Mar 12, 2016 09:10PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question O 17 15 Mar 12, 2016 09:04PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question M 12 13 Mar 12, 2016 08:45PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 9 13 Mar 12, 2016 08:38PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 12 14 Mar 12, 2016 08:14PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 16 14 Mar 12, 2016 08:07PM
  • Bone Cold (The Malones, #1)
  • 14 (Taylor Jackson, #2)
  • The Dirty Secrets Club (Jo Beckett #1)
  • The Prey (Predator Trilogy, #1)
  • Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3)
  • Final Jeopardy (Alexandra Cooper, #1)
  • The Missing (Darby McCormick #1)
  • Twisted
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)
  • Hot Blooded (New Orleans #1)
  • Shadow Man (Smoky Barrett, #1)
ALEX KAVA IS A NEW YORK TIMES BEST-SELLING AUTHOR of the critically acclaimed Maggie O’Dell series and a new series featuring former Marine, Ryder Creed and his K9 dogs. Her stand-alone novel, One False Move, was the 2006 One Book One Nebraska. Published in over thirty countries, Kava’s novels have made the bestseller lists in the UK, Australia, Germany, Japan, Italy and Poland. Her novel Stranded ...more
More about Alex Kava...

Maggie O'Dell (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Split Second (Maggie O'Dell, #2)
  • The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell, #3)
  • At the Stroke of Madness (Maggie O'Dell, #4)
  • A Necessary Evil (Maggie O'Dell #5)
  • Exposed (Maggie O'Dell, #6)
  • Black Friday (Maggie O'Dell, #7)
  • Damaged (Maggie O'Dell, #8)
  • Hotwire (Maggie O'Dell, #9)
  • Fireproof (Maggie O'Dell, #10)
  • Stranded (Maggie O’Dell, #11)