Start by marking “She Smells the Dead (Spirit Guide, #1)” as Want to Read:
She Smells the Dead (Spirit Guide, #1)

She Smells the Dead (Spirit Guide #1)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  469 ratings  ·  125 reviews
The first book in the popular YA paranormal Spirit Guide series by E.J. Stevens.

SHE SMELLS THE DEAD.

Published September 9th 2010 by Sacred Oaks Press (first published August 19th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about She Smells the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She Smells the Dead

Loves To Dive
She Smells the Dead is about a senior in high school, who, well - smells the dead. Vanessa Stennings, better known as Yuki, can smell the dead. No not dead bodies, if a ghost is around she gets a smell that is somehow related to the dearly departed person. She is not overly thrilled that this is her superpower. Her best friends are Emma - a committed vegan and Calvin - a blue eyed, shaggy haired pain in the rear. Yuki gets an overwhelming smell of vinegar the first day of senior year and the que ...more
T. Tolles
I so enjoyed the story. The Ghost Whisperer in Smell-O-Rama. Yuki may not be the most popular girl at school, but she definitely has the Bestest Friends a girl could ask for. This story was a refreshing new slant on helping the dead cross over to the light. I won't give any of the exciting details away, but when an unexpected romance starts, and complications start to arise with the lingering smelly dead and the annoying wet dog smell, you are sure to be swallowed up into E. J. Stevens exciting, ...more
Brandi ;)
She Smells the Dead by E. J. Stevens

5 STARS

I LOVED this book. Those of you who know me, know I am a Ghost-Story-Whore (Ghost related books are my favorite type of paranormal story and I consume them with greed and happiness, especially when the book is a good one). This was a GREAT one! The story was original, not something that has been done over and over and over again. Big plus for me.
Yuki, the main character, can smell the dead. No, this doesn't mean she literally smells rotting corpses, sh
Tamela Quijas
A few weeks ago, I finished reading the second installment of E.J. Stevens thrilling YA mystery/romance entitled Spirit Storm. This past week, I picked up the beginning of the Spirit Guide series. Again, I was struck by the fascinating manner in which Ms. Stevens writes, and I thoroughly enjoyed the book!

Our heroine, Yuki, is introduced in She Smells the Dead. For anyone that remembers, being a teenager is filled with angst, drama, and a weirdness that defies logic. Adults will never understand
Grammy 1
I have just come upon an enchanting new Paranormal Mystery Story written by Dark Poetess, E.J. Stevens. She Smells the Dead is just what the Moms and Librarians have been looking for. A New Series of books with enchantment, mystery, love and commitment for a YA audience.

Yuki is our heroine, a high school girl who is affected by the dead. She is "not part of the crowd" At her age, she walks to her own tune, has been called "witch" by her classmates , which is only exasperated by her looks and dr
Katy
Sep 06, 2013 Katy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of YA urban fantasy, ghosts
Recommended to Katy by: E.J. Stevens
Shelves: ebook
Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Young Adult
Recommended for: Fans of YA Urban fantasy who are looking for something new, those who enjoy paranormal stories

My Thoughts: In this first book in the Spirit Guide series, Yuki is recently come into her powers and learning how to deal with them, with the help of Calvin Miller, her friend Emma, and Calvin’s mentor and trainer Simon. We get to know a bit about all of them, watch Yuki deal with a haunting, and basically accompany her during th
Thomas Amo
It's the beginning of senior year and Yuki's psychic awareness of ghostly spirits is threatening to ruin her life. Her ability to sense spirits of the dead isn't glamorous like on TV. SHE SMELLS THE DEAD. Yuki is being visited in her dreams and suspects that her friend Calvin is involved in something strange. Will Yuki be able to save the spirits and herself?

REVIEW
E.J. Stevens, truly took me into her world from page one. I fell in love with her MC, Yuki from the first moment she wrinkled her ado
Robert Duperre
Rating: 4.3 out of 5

I’ve said before that I have no love of paranormal romance as a genre. It’s too girly, too gushy, too intrinsically self-absorbed and flighty, to be worth my while. I mean, who wants to read about some young girl with “special talents” who falls head-over-heels in love with some otherworldly creature?

Uh, apparently I do. So color me a liar.

I received She Smells the Dead by E.J. Stevens as a review copy, and honestly I was excited to dive into it. No matter my previous stateme
Krisi Keley
If you thought your high school days were rough…

Yuki’s in her senior year and besides dealing with all the inherent pressures of that crazy time of life, she has some unusual and difficult stresses all her own. She doesn’t get to see dead people, she has to smell them; her best friend, whom she’s beginning to suspect she cares for more deeply than she imagined, has an odd secret that may be related to her psychic power; and her dreams seem to portend an imminent danger.

Author E. J. Stevens’ deli
Kat (A Journey In Reading)
What would you do if you had the ability to help souls cross over? What if you found out that your best friend also had a secret of his own?

She Smells the Dead is the story of Vanessa aka Yuki who can smell the dead. Not in a gross way, but in a way that the smell is related to the soul that needs help. She is beginning her senior year in high school when the soul needs her help. Cal, with a secret of his own, and Emma, who is her strictly vegan friend know of Yuki's ability and help her with th
Amber  Read
I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I wasn't sure what to expect but this went above and beyond whatever I expected.

I love Yuki and Cal. They are such great characters. It's so cute that Cal has such a thing for Yuki and she doesn't see it at first. They seem like an odd pairing but they're actually perfect for each other. They have been friends for so long and they are super cute together.

The supporting characters in this book are really awesome too. Emma and Simon are to
Laurie
4.5 Stars

Yuki is a resourceful heroine who embraces the idiosyncrasies and foibles of her friends with equanimity. Her wardrobe choices are as unique as she is. Emma, her best friend, is a staunch and loyal ally even though she and Yuki seem as different as night and day. Then there is Calvin, her steadfast and true friend, who is also her anchor and defender. Yuki, Calvin and Emma each come into their own in this outstanding break-out novel for young adults and the young of heart. More
Deanna
I loved this book it was a wonderful mix of romance and mystery behind everything that Yuki goes though and has to deal with. The story flows wonderfully the way it introduces who Yuki will end up with as well as how she must learn to control her gift, was done perfectly in my opinion. I can't wait for another book because I want to now what the hell happens on Halloween. So EJ Stevens PLEASE KEEP WRITTING!!!!!!!
Sharon Buchbinder
A clever premise (yes, she smells dead people) combined with high school angst, in-crowds, out-crowds and a cute boyfriend with his own secret made this a fast, fun read. Thanks for making my 2 hour wait in the doctor's office go by quickly!
Missy (Two Readers Reviews)
She Smells the Dead was a fast and fun read. I really enjoyed the fact that there was a mixture of paranormal elements that were tied together. Also, I completely love the cover. It is absolutely beautiful and is pretty much exactly how I visualize the main character, Yuki.

Vanessa “Yuki” just so happens to smell the dead. It’s their way of letting her know that they have unfinished business that she needs to help them with. When she starts out all she has is the smell to go on in order to find o
Melissa
Yuki has an unusual ability to smell the dead. She can sense them and sense that they need something from her before they can move on. When a spirit comes to her reeking of vinegar and is possibly a victim of foul play, Yuki enlists her friends Calvin and Emma to unravel the mystery. But something far more dangerous lurks on the horizon and if Yuki doesn't learn to control her gift in time she may lose her mind or even her life.

This novel was different than so many paranormal novels out there.
Kai (Amaterasu Reads)
I think started a bit slow, but it got better as I go along reading, and before I knew it I was enjoying the read.

Yuki can smell the dead. Literally. It was her indicator that a ghost is around when she smells something. With her recently discovered powers, Yuki was helping the world, one ghost at a time, and her latest haunting was from a ghost smelling like vinegar.

Enlisting help from her friends, Emma, hardcore vegan and against anything with meat who’s got a knack for concocting salves to na
Jennifer (Books That Spark)
She Smells the Dead is the first book in the Spirit Guide series written by E. J. Stevens. The title alone was enough to grasp my attention. It promised a new twist on the ever-popular young adult fantasy genre and I was eager to get started to see whether it delivered on it's promise.

She Smells the Dead is told from the point of view of Vanessa Stennings, more commonly referred to as Yuki. It's the start of Yuki's senior year and with that comes a lot of change and of course, a lot of drama to
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Original review posted at Rabid Reads: http://www.rabidreads.com/2011/05/review-she-smells-dead-by-ej-stevens.html

At first I was a bit put off by the title of this book; but after seeing the gorgeous wolf on the cover of the next installment I just had to give it a try! I devoured this book in an afternoon. The plot is engaging, the characters are real and I loved Stevens' no nonsense writing style. Although, I did see the cliff hanger ending coming a mile away and felt a tad frustrated as a res
Kristi-The Book Faery
THE FAERYS VIEW

First off-I am amazed that I haven’t read the Spirit Guide series by E.J. Stevens until now! How could I miss such a gem of a read! She Smells The Dead is a One-Sit-Read for me-literally and figuratively! Once I picked it up, I didn’t put it down until I finished it and then I quickly downloaded the rest of the series on to my Kindle and did the same. I read the entire series in 2 days and now I want more!

E.J. did a beautiful job in all aspects of her novel but what impressed me t
Yvonne
Yuki is a unique teenager. She has an annoying habit of smelling dead people. When spirits have unfinished business, they haunt her until she is able to figure out how to help them. Instead of seeing or conversing with the dead, each one has a certain smell that alerts her of their presence. With the help of her friends, Yuki is about to be once fierce ghost whisperer.

First of all, I love the cover. I also loved the storyline. I’ve read a lot of ghost stories about people being able to interact
Brenda
It's the first day of school and Vanessa Stennings who likes to be called Yuki is overwhelmed by the scent of vinegar, weird right? Well Yuki has a gift, she smells the dead, not like decay or anything like that but instead its more a symbolic scent of the spirit who has come to her for help, her friend Calvin likes to call it smell impressions, anywho this particular spirit smells like vinegar, and the only way to get rid of the spirit is to figure out what it wants!
Yuki hasn't ever been popul
Artem
I really wanted like this book. And I do like the concept of smelling ghosts with other identifier. That original (at least for me) concept is the reason for the second star.
And just so we are clear I do not blame the author all that much. But whoever did the editing of this book was sloppy and negligent or just did not read it through. That is my overall feeling but there were several issues that stuck out for me like a sore thumb.
•there is cafeteria scene where Emma and Yuki discuss their foo
Being a teenager can suck. Being a teenager with paranormal gifts can really suck. Yuki is a Senior in high school who has an uncanny sense of smell. She smells the dead. That’s right she senses ghosts through scent. That alone makes this series interesting.

In these first two books Yuki is learning about her spirit gifts. Her best friend Cal who becomes her boyfriend has his own issues that he has to work through. Together Yuki and Cal will weather anything that the spirit world has to offer. Em
Jules
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I received it from the author, E.J. Stevens who is a master of dark poetry. I wondered if this book would be a bit dark as well, but I was quite pleased in this fun and inventive story.

Yuki ~not Yucky, long u~ is an unusual protagonist. She has the ability to smell dead people. Not as in rotting corpses, but as in impressions that indicate something of the deceased's life ~ vinegar or roses are some examples. As to her appearance, Yuki has her own sense of Goth st
Heather
E. J. Steven's novel is a combination of paranormal romance and mystery with a good bit of humor thrown in. The main character Yuki isn't really named that, but chose that nickname over her real name Vanessa. You'll have to read the book to see what the nicknames she's been through to see why she chose a nickname. The novel takes place in high school in a small Maine town where Yuki's best friends are Calvin and Emma. Calvin is a huge meat eater, but into meditation and spiritual matters. Yuki i ...more
Christy (TheReaderBee)
I have been eying this book for a while. The cover is gorgeous! So I jumped at the opportunity to read and review this! It was a very quick, enjoyable read.

Our main character is Yuki, and she can smell the dead. Not in a nasty way, each individual spirit has a different smell. I really liked her character, she was funny and quirky. She reminded me a bit of myself at that age. I also liked the relationship between her and Calvin, once it blossomed. They were a great match. I also liked the second
Avery
When I first started reading this book I was instantly hooked- we have an extremely interesting premise with an equally interesting female lead, Yuki, but best of all, a totally swoon-worthy male lead/ best friend/ love interest, Cal.The fast paced nature of the book and its size (it being very concise and to the point) makes it easy to consume this book in one sitting, leaving the reader itching to read the next book in the series, "Spirit Storm".

If I had to criticize one thing of the book (wh
Cyna
She Smells the Dead begins with a one-page prologue, and I gotta say, having finished the book, it's probably the best one-page litmus test I've ever read. All you have to do to know whether or not this book is for you is read the first four paragraphs. It's that simple.

"I can smell the dead. I know, you hear of people with superhuman paranormal powers and you think, how cool is that but there is nothing cool about smelling the dead. I mean it could be worse I suppose. The dead don’t smell like
Stacey
She Smells the Dead provides something new and fresh to the YA realm. Who knew that smelling the dead and having your best friend compare you to a nasty little beetle could spell out your fate?

Vanessa Stennings, otherwise known at Yuki, isn't your typical teenager girl with a free spirited gothic style. With a crush, two best friends, one of which has secrets of his own, and a stinky following, Yuki's life is a full on enchanted mystery with what seems to be a silver rope typing the best friends
  • Soul in Love
  • The Thirteenth Chime (Sense of Truth, #1)
  • The Phantom Diaries (The Phantom Diaries, #1)
  • Flaming Dove
  • In the Arms of Stone Angels
  • Dayling
  • The Undying
  • Somber Island
  • The House of Dead Maids
  • Thin Air (Thin Air Saga, #1)
  • The Soul Mirror (Collegia Magica, #2)
  • Intrinsical (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #1)
  • Under My Skin (Skinned, #1)
  • Black Dog and Rebel Rose
  • Nearly Departed (Weirdsville, #1)
  • Possessed (Rayne, #1)
  • Poltergeeks (Poltergeeks, #1)
  • Hush Money (Talent Chronicles, #1)
E.J. Stevens writes poetry, urban fantasy, and young adult paranormal novels. E.J. is the author of the young adult paranormal SPIRIT GUIDE series (SHE SMELLS THE DEAD, SPIRIT STORM, LEGEND OF WITCHTROT ROAD, BRUSH WITH DEATH, THE PIRATE CURSE), the IVY GRANGER urban fantasy series (SHADOW SIGHT, BLOOD AND MISTLETOE, GHOST LIGHT, CLUB NEXUS, BURNING BRIGHT), and the HUNTERS' GUILD urban fantasy se ...more
More about E.J. Stevens...
Shadow Sight (Ivy Granger, #1) Spirit Storm (Spirit Guide, #2) Ghost Light (Ivy Granger, #2) Blood and Mistletoe (Ivy Granger, #1.5) Legend of Witchtrot Road (Spirit Guide, #3)

“I need a victim and no offense Yuki, but your carrot sticks are lacking in controversy.” 8 likes
“My research methods were extremely advanced. I Googled vinegar.” 1 likes