The Legacy

The Legacy

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  4,047 ratings  ·  485 reviews
When they were children, Erica Calcott and her sister, Beth, spent their summer holidays at Storton Manor. Now, following the death of their grandmother, they have returned to the grand, imposing house in Wiltshire, England. Unable to stem the tide of childhood memories that arise as she sorts through her grandmother’s belongings, Erica thinks back to the summer her cousin...more
Published August 30th 2011 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legacy

The Winter Sea by Susanna KearsleyOutlander by Diana GabaldonThe Rose Garden by Susanna KearsleyThe Forgotten Garden by Kate MortonMariana by Susanna Kearsley
Dual Time Romances
34th out of 170 books — 438 voters
The Forgotten Garden by Kate MortonThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerThe House at Riverton by Kate MortonThe Distant Hours by Kate MortonThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
Best Past-Present Books
37th out of 245 books — 338 voters

More lists with this book...

Alyson
Dual stories (one Victorian, one modern day) about the same family. The question of "What happened to Henry?" goes on for a bit too long--or, rather, the conversations consisting of "Tell me what happened!"/"No, it's better that you don't remember!" happened a bit too frequently and had me wishing they would just get to the point in the final conversation before the Big Reveal.

I wasn't actually too crazy about either Beth or Erica, and got progressively a bit more annoyed with them. However, the...more
Kinga
Two stories for the price of one!

Historical romance and contemporary romance – all in one book!

Not one but TWO secrets!

Gypsies, Indians, cowboys, aristocrats!

Dead husbands! Missing children!

Wild West! Old English Manor!

And whatever else you can conjure up – all in this i one book about generations of women who like nothing better than to sweep things under the rug and sit on it staring into the space, as if nothing happened. Also, a warning tale – sweep things under the rug, you go mad, just as...more
Gail
Apr 13, 2012 Gail rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
I read The Unseen first and never thought a book could be better. How wrong I was, thankfully. I was totally and uttery engrossed in this book which was heartbreaking in parts. Lost love, mystery, intrigue and, well, just about everything you would want in a really good book. I literally could not put my kindle down, it was my eyes that kept closing which reminded me I had to sleep at some point! I loved and despised Caroline and Meredith in turns, it's such a roller coaster of emotions I feel c...more
Andreia Silva
Desde que comecei a ler Kate Morton (e não, não estão no livro errado) que descobri um novo tipo de livro que gosto (se bem que eu sou muito eclécica e leio de tudo um pouco): livros com mansões misteriosas que me fazem vontade de viver numa, com famílias grandes e problemáticas, com uma árvore genealógica com muitos ramos... e muitos segredos à mistura. E este livro é um desses livros. Adorei a escrita da autora e o facto de nos deixar sempre com o bichinho da curiosidade. Adorei a história em...more
Anna
I loved this book, with the complexities of its characters, and its many layers and themes.

It opens in England in 1905 with the lady of the manor, Caroline, mysteriously running through the woods.

In the present day, sisters Erica and Beth inherit the old manor house from their grandmother, Meredith. It’s the house they spent their childhood summers in until one hot day in 1986 when their cousin Henry vanished. Erica has no memory of this day, but Beth has been haunted by the disappearance ever s...more
Boof
The Legacy opens in 1905 with Caroline Calcott, Lady of Stourton Manor in Wiltshire, hurredly leaving the house and making her way through the grounds and into the woods, carrying a white pillowcase over her shoulder which (unbeknown to the maids who watch her in surprise from the window) holds a small child.

The story then fast forwards to the current day and passes to Erica Calcott, Caroline’s Great-Granddaughter. Erica and her sister Beth have come back to Stourton Manor after 23 years of bein...more
Diane Lynn
Really 4.5 stars

Very well written dual timeline story. Actually it was 3 timelines. We get the early 1902-1911 story (mostly) set in Oklahoma Territory. Then there is the current time story set in England which also includes a flashback story set in 1986. All 3 stories are well done with very interesting characters. There are family secrets and repressed memories, an old family manor house and something bad that happened in 1986. Some of the secrets are easy to figure out but the one near the en...more
Carmo Santos
As primeiras 100/150 páginas foram penosas: descrições aborrecidas, diálogos "de encher chouriços", e uma história que patinava teimosamente no marasmo e não avançava.
Contado simultâneamente em dois espaços temporais distintos, permite encontrar no passado respostas às duvidas e suspeitas do presente.

Foi dificil criar empatia com algumas das personagens; tantos erros, tantas lições de vida desperdiçadas, tanto amor mal aproveitado, tanta teimosia, tanta amargura,...só podia redundar em grande in...more
Neide Parafitas
Saltitando entre séculos, este livro desenrola-se, na actualidade, através de duas irmãs: Beth e Erica Calcott que após a morte da avó Meredith herdam a mansão da família "Storton Manor" e no passado, mais concretamente no início do século XX, da sua bisavó: Caroline Calcott.

Relembrando o passado, Erica tenta desvendar um segredo relacionado com o seu primo Henry que desapareceu da casa e nunca mais foi visto, tendo deixado a família e, particularmente Beth, num sofrimento atroz! Convencida de q...more
Hayley
When Beth and Erica Calcott return to their family home they start to sort through their Grandmother's belongings and forgotten fragments of family history start to break the surface of the present day. Memories of their cousin Henry who disappeared and their Grandmother, a bitter and twisted old woman.

I really like books about different generations of families and this plot had such potential but it really failed to deliver for me. The female characters were so frustrating and I just wanted to...more
Rachel
The Legacy centers on two sisters Beth and Erica who have jointly inherited their recently deceased grandmother's manor house. They return to the house to sort through the belongings and decide what they should do with the house. Sounds fantastic except that the home holds a rather unpleasant memory, one Beth has been trying to run away from and Erica has been trying to figure out.

While trying to sort out the demons in their own closet, Erica stumbles upon a mystery surrounding her great-grandmo...more
Marguerite Kaye
Another of those 'two parallel stories' books that I really enjoy and which seem to be popping up in droves at the moment. I liked the premise of this and I really enjoyed the Victorian story and the wild west setting, I was intrigued as to how it linked up with the present-day story. And I was also intrigued by the mystery of the present day story. In fact, up until about 100 pages from the end I had this as 4 stars.

But I was disappointed in the ending. I hate books where some pivotal letter i...more
Claire
Rather a lot of words for not a lot happening...And when something did happen, how ridiculous! From the main characters to the 'heartbreaking secret' it was all completely unbelievable. The most surprising thing is that I managed to read it to the end (albeit with many urges not to) so it was weirdly gripping at least!

I'm not sure that Caroline's story added anything to the book especially since Erica's gut feelings (or whatever) seemed to know all the answers anyway. Would have been interesting...more
Karen
The Legacy by Katherine Webb is my kind of book! Anyone who's read this blog for any time now, knows that I love dual time period stories, so dang, this one had me when I read the first page when we learn that in 1905, Caroline Calcott flees Storton Manor with a pillowcase over her shoulder. Caroline turns out to be Erica and Beth's Great-grandmother, a Great-grandmother with a secret.

Author Katherine Webb then fast forwards the reader to the present time, when Erica and Beth return to their Gra...more
Rita
Katherine Webb nasceu e cresceu em Inglaterra numa zona repleta de mansões em muito semelhantes às que descreve nas suas obras. Após estudar História na Universidade de Durham, realizou diversos trabalhos, antes de se dedicar à escrita, como bibliotecária e como vendedora de disfarces. A sua obra de estreia “A Herança” venceu o YouWriteOn Book of the Year Award 2009, tendo sido inclusive finalista do National Book Tokens New Writer of the Year 2010.

“A Herança” tem início quando a avó de Erica e...more
Robin
A dank manor house, dysfunctional family dynamics, and a slowly unraveling mystery made me a happy reader. There are two parallel stories, one set in contemporary times featuring two sisters clearing out the ancestral manor house and discovering long held secrets, and the other set in the early 1900s relating the life of their great-grandmother and why she gave up her Oklahoma plains life to travel to England while concealing a terrible secret.

This book was a nice combo of gothic suspense and wo...more
Teresa
É uma história muito interessante, onde as personagens do presente vivem marcadas pelos segredos do passado. Tem personagens muito cativantes, principalmente Caroline que nos provoca sentimentos antagónicos.
Ryan G
When my roommate saw this book sitting on the kitchen table, he asked me why was I reading a "chick" book. It told him that wasn't what it was, but I don't think he ever really believed me. All he would say was, look at the cover. Based off of that alone, I probably would have agreed with him. With this cover, I don't think I would have ever picked this one up. It's a shame really, because if I hadn't, I would have missed out on an amazing story.

As soon as Erica and Beth step out on the page, yo...more
Kristin
This book *should* be good. It follows several generations of a family, and there is a "mystery" in one generation that motivates you to read through to the end of the book to resolve. As a reader, you do get to enjoy early 1900 New York and Oklahoma Territory, and then England from 1905 onwards.

But... I just didn't love this book. I read and read and read, waiting for it to get GOOD, and I just felt like it never did. Yes, the characters were moderately interesting. I did like Caroline's first...more
Keilani Ludlow
This is a conditional 3 star. For me, a 3 star is what most books get if I enjoyed them. 4 star means I really enjoyed them and immediately went online with the library to find more of that author's books. 5 star is reserved for those truly above and beyond the norm books. Few make it to 5 star.

The conditional part is this - I enjoyed the book, I enjoyed the bouncing back and forth between the distant past, the recent past, and the present. I enjoyed the little mystery behind the characters. No...more
Sara Strand
So I would describe this as part historical fiction... part thriller... but mostly as a can't put it down read. Mostly because the book starts off with a young woman abandoning her baby. No kidding. I mean, as a mother I read that part and I'm thinking, "what in the world?!" and from there I couldn't put this book down. I had to know the circumstances around it and why a person would do that. What you find is a web of family history that nobody would be proud of.

But when I say I couldn't put it...more
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
This book kept me up for two nights because I had to know to know how it ended. I had to know the answer to the two mysteries. Sort of literary thriller-ish, the story alternates between two women and two mysteries that tie together in the end.

My favorite character was Caroline, the early 20th-century American beauty who marries an Oklahoma rancher for love, and eventually ends up in England, reluctant matriarch to the Calcott family. I loved her and her mystery and I was desperate to learn the...more
Arttemizza
Foi um livro que não me prendeu de início, tem descrições muito pormenorizadas e acabou por arrastar a leitura.

É uma estória repleta de mistérios, tragédias e dramas familiares que as personagens tentam esconder a todo o custo. Podemos acompanhar em simultâneo, três épocas diferentes, desde o presente, passado pelo início do século e pela infância das duas irmãs. Proporciona uma leitura muito intensa, cheia de grandes emoções e que se torna algumas vezes nostálgica.

Sou uma leitora que prefere te...more
Kris Irvin
Ugh this book was so boring. I should have loved it. It's the time period I really enjoy, it's got a mystery, it's switching POVs... but no.

The things that bothered me most: There's no rhyme or reason to the switching POVs. It's very random. Erica, as a main character, is not interesting at all. In fact, the whole modern day mystery is stilted and random and weird. And it's pretty obvious what the answer is.

I didn't like that the characters had very similar names. Harry, Henry, Honey. That was...more
Lena Papanikolaou

Μαγευτικο βιβλιο! με συνεπηρε!! Άρτιοι δομημενοι χαρακτηρες σφιχτη πλοκή και ενα ακομη ατου του βιβλιου? ο τροπος γραφης του το οτι εκανε αρκετα φλας μπακ που σε βαζουν στο τρυπακι της περιεργειας και της προσμονης....Διαβαστε το !!
Jose Santos
Uma boa história. Bem contada e com personagens muito interessantes. Por vezes, se pensarmos bem, há aspectos da história que não fazem sentido. Porque é que as duas irmãs, depois de adultas, nunca visitaram a avó e só voltam à casa depois desta morrer? Mas posso ser eu que sou muito realista.
E tudo começa neste ponto. A avó morre e deixa a casa às duas irmãs desde que estas escolham viver ali, mas o regresso à casa vai acordar muitos traumas e muitas histórias do passado que estão à espera de s...more
Melee
Though I didn't realize it, I've been needing to read a book full of family secrets for a while! There's something satisfying and thrilling about such stories.

This was a compelling read, which is something I've also needed more of lately. And while there was only one secret that kept me guessing till the end (the others were easier to pick up on) that last one gave me a pleasant shock. I'm not sure if it was obvious to other readers, but I didn't see it coming!

And now, with that enigmatic statem...more
Dalila.
This beautifully crafted novel kept me in suspense until the very end,a brilliant novel with an exciting and intriguing plot and beautifully story It's a great mix of historical fiction and present day .The story is very well written and although the two threads connect in some way the connection is not enough to be uncredible.I would definitely recommend this book to anyone!
Vanessa Montês
Gostei imenso do livro, mas o final... não sei achei que faltava algo ali.
Achei a personagem de Caroline muitíssimo bem construída mas algo nela me dava uma raiva tão grande! Uma grande menina mimada que acaba por destruir a vida a inúmeras pessoas, embora no livro tenha a sensação de a autora a querer fazer passar pela coitadinha da história.
Liliana Pinto
Este livro sempre me chamou à atenção. A capa é linda, e a sinopse é misteriosa. O livro ficou muito tempo na estante a aguardar a sua vez de ser lido e finalmente peguei nele. Cheia de expectativas e alegria. Enfim.

Beth e Erica são duas irmãs que, sem saberem bem porquê, recebem de herança a enorme e velha mansão que pertence a sua família à gerações. Quando eram pequenas elas passavam todos os Verões nessa mansão, mas desde que o seu primo desapareceu misteriosamente, as visitas acabaram. Mas...more
Clean Reads: The legacy by katherine webb 1 29 Aug 29, 2013 02:14AM
  • The Mermaid Garden
  • The Bed I Made
  • Netherwood
  • The Lantern
  • Every Secret Thing (Kate Murray, #1)
  • Ellis Island (Ellis Island, #1)
  • Ferney
  • Die Schmetterlingsinsel
  • A Twist of Fate
  • Brixton Beach
  • The Tale of Halcyon Crane
  • The Villa in Italy
I was born in Kent in 1977 and grew up in rural Hampshire before reading History at Durham University. History remains a passion, and I write character-led mystery dramas, often with historical settings. I love to explore the way past events can reverberate in the present, and I'm fascinated by the vast grey areas in human morality and behaviour.

My debut novel 'The Legacy' was voted viewers' choic...more
More about Katherine Webb...
The Unseen A Half Forgotten Song The Misbegotten En sang fra fortiden The Night Falling