Start by marking “Yoga for Pain Relief: Simple Practices to Calm Your Mind and Heal Your Chronic Pain” as Want to Read:

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  18 reviews
In Yoga for Pain Relief, Stanford psychology instructor and prominent yoga teacher Kelly McGonigal shows readers how the wisdom of yoga and the latest skills drawn from mind-body research can end the physical and emotional suffering of chronic pain.
Published December 2nd 2009 by New Harbinger Publications (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Yoga for Pain Relief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoga for Pain Relief

Elizabeth Pyjov
Kelly McGonigal is a GENIUS ! I love this book, and look forward to her new book on Willpower. The poses are simple and helpful not only do relieve pain, but just to feel happy, relieved, radiant and stress-free. A book whose philosophy and movements I would recommend to all.

''According to the yoga tradition, the human system is not just body and mind but is also breath, wisdom, and joy. Breath is the life force that animates you; wisdom is your inner guide; joy is your connection to something b
I loved the flow of this book along with the exercises and positions with explanations and resources at the end of the book. Would recommend to everyone with any pain issues, whether arthritis, back, knee or inflexiblity. I also like the fact she concentrated on the breathing and the why and how of why you should use the positions and wasn't preachy.
Andrea Hickman Walker
This is a fantastic book. If you suffer from chronic pain and enjoy yoga you should read it. Probably, you should read it even if you don't enjoy yoga. I don't really have much else to say...

I will say, though, that it's harder than it seems to put the information into practice. I'm pretty good about doing my yoga, but when I'm sore I tend to skip classes and I don't really want to do yoga. I'd certainly be more inclined to do yoga at home than in a class at those times. The hard part is getting
This is an amazing book. I love how it aligns neuro-psychological studies with yogic teachings.
It's written for many abilities, showing how to do practices seating on the floor, on a chair, or in bed. I think anyone, even people without chronic pain, would find something helpful in this book.

Yuri Aoi
Sara Murphy
It would be helpful for anyone suffering from chronic pain and cannot do some of the more complex poses of yoga. Focusing specifically on poses that promote healing, relaxation and pain alleviation. Yoga silences the mind, which has the power to make a person ill, as well as containing the capacity for healing (Mind over Matter). There is a sure science to yoga and it has been practiced for thousands of years and should be utilized by those who cannot do other types of excersize. I found this he ...more

It's was a good reminder to take my own pace and listen to my body's pain rather than just deal with it.
I was a bit dubious that I would find a yoga book focussed on general chronic pain as helpful as one targeting my specific area of trouble. Boy, was I wrong and am I glad I was proven so.

This is the best book on yoga as a means of living more fully with chronic pain I've read so far. There is a great balance of helpful information and citing of scientific studies if one wants to delve deeper. I found the personal stories of real people encouraging. I really appreciated the chapter of developing
I have to say that before I read this book, I never tried yoga before. I have arthritis in my spine which causes discomfort and didn't want to do a lot of weird poses. But it's not like that. This book is straightforward, filled with pictures, and eases even a beginner to yoga. It's categorized by different conditions so you can find which movements are best for you. It also has meditative practices to clear your mind.
I realized today that I have checked this book out 6 times in less than 4 months. I need to buy it! I love how every time I read it I get something new out of it. It's a great introduction to breathing, meditation & yoga. The author shows how stress, whether from an illness or emotions, affects our entire system and provides tools to help get on the path of stress/pain reduction.
This is a book worth purchasing if you are interested in chronic pain or discomfort issues. The text is thorough and yet easy enough to read in explaining typical situations where people experience pain. The exercises are shown in two formats: deeper stretches and then those for people who have limited mobility. Author is a university professor.
Really clear explanation of basic yoga philosophy. Fascinating information on the body's pain response. Excellent examples of yoga practices and meditations. This book is both insightful and practical. It offers the tools to start a thriving home practice for yourself.
A reallllly well done book for anyone who suffers from chronic pain. Includes several series of poses that most any one can do and has a lot of great literature about how to learn to trust and love your body again.
Doris Clancy
A great tool as I developed a yoga class for pain relief. The author was very generous in giving her permission for me to copy and distribute several pages of this book for a workshop at the VA.
Great book for beginners to yoga. This is very gentle yoga and particularly addresses pain issues, with meditations and poses to get people started. Great book!
Heather Sprouse
Fantastic, easy to use guide for how to incorporate therapeutic yoga into one's life. It's helped me understand and manage my anxiety more effectively.
by my own yoga mentor, who is amazing
Yvonne Ramirez
Jun 17, 2011 Yvonne Ramirez marked it as to-read
Looking forward to "pain relief"
Beardo Gomez
Beardo Gomez marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Bob Walker
Bob Walker marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Clare Macdonald
Clare Macdonald marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Srinath marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Jay Hersch
Jay Hersch marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Leslie Anderson
Leslie Anderson marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Jørgen Carter
Jørgen Carter marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
  • 30 Essential Yoga Poses: For Beginning Students and Their Teachers
  • Back Care Basics: A Doctor's Gentle Yoga Program for Back and Neck Pain Relief
  • Shakti Mantras: Tapping into the Great Goddess Energy Within
  • Chronic Resilience: 10 Sanity-Saving Strategies for Women Coping with the Stress of Illness
  • Sit With Less Pain: Gentle Yoga for Meditators and Everyone Else
  • All in My Head: An Epic Quest to Cure an Unrelenting, Totally Unreasonable, and Only Slightly Enlightening Headache
  • Fire in the Heart: A Spiritual Guide for Teens
  • Living Yoga: Creating a Life Practice
  • Hatha Yoga Illustrated
  • Advanced Wicca: Exploring Deeper Levels of Spiritual Skills and Masterful Magick
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Therapeutic Exercise: Foundations and Techniques (Therapeutic Exercise: Foundations & Techniques) (5th edition)
  • Bodhisattva of Compassion: The Mystical Tradition of Kuan Yin (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • Santeria: African Spirits in America
  • Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice
  • Yoga: the Path to Holistic Health
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • Sweeping Changes:  Discovering the Joy of Zen in Everyday Tasks
Kelly McGonigal, PhD, is a health psychologist and lecturer at Stanford University, an award-winning science journalist, and a leading expert on the mind-body relationship. Her teaching and writing focus on the applications of psychological science to personal health and happiness, as well as public policy and social change.

She is the author of The Upside of Stress (Penguin Random House/Avery 201
More about Kelly McGonigal...
The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do to Get More of It The Upside of Stress: Why Stress Is Good for You, and How to Get Good at It The Neuroscience of Change: A Compassion-Based Program for Personal Transformation Maximum Willpower Yoga for Pain Relief: Simple Practices to Calm Your Mind & Heal Your Chronic Pain