Start by marking “Cooking Basics for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Cooking Basics for Dummies

Cooking Basics for Dummies

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Basic tools, techniques, and recipes for creating easy, delicious mealsIt doesn't take culinary mastery and great recipes to be a great cook. "Cooking Basics For Dummies, " 4th Edition, appeals to beginners who want to learn the basics of cooking and implement understandable and practical recipes in their everyday cooking experience.. "Cooking Basics For Dummies" digs you ...more
Published December 14th 2010 by For Dummies (first published October 8th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Cooking Basics for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cooking Basics for Dummies

Andrea Ika
Feb 27, 2014 Andrea Ika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review: Cooking Basic for Dummies

Bryan Miller #review2014

My rating : 4 stars

Blurb
Basic Cooking For Dummies, Third Edition digs you out of microwave dinners and tipping delivery persons and propels you with all the ingredients you need toward becoming a superior home cook. This hands-on guide shows you the fun and easy way to prepare meals all your guests will love, from die-hard vegetarians to the most passionate meat eaters. Youâll be able to handle boiling, poaching, steaming, braising, g
Holly
Mar 07, 2013 Holly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't think this book would be entirely helpful for a beginner. That is, they'd have to read the whole thing, because the order is not entirely helpful. Measuring doesn't come until chapter 10? Very few pictures and most of those are drawings.
Steven Peterson
Jan 21, 2011 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book begins with this comment (Page 1): “Whether you fancy yourself a hotshot home cook or someone who wouldn’t know a whisk from a Weimaraner, Cooking Basics for Dummies, 4th edition, can help you.” So, this book is designed, at one level, to provide a neophyte the tools to use as the foundation for decent cooking. As such, I think, it does its job nicely. I have sometimes seen rather lame entries into the “. . . for Dummies” series. This is not one of those.

The volume begins with the basic
Christopher
Apr 25, 2007 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dummies who cook.
Actually, I don't think I own this book, but the one I have isn't showing up.

I have just plain ol' Cooking for Dummies. Not Basic. But this entry will do the job just fine, I suppose.

I like to cook, but let's face it - I'm a little dumb. I need things to remind me how many cups are in a tablespoon or how many litres will fit in a shot glass. I need something to walk me through the act of boiling eggs. I will never in my life remember how to make a roux, so I need it written out for me.

And that's
Kathi
Jan 06, 2008 Kathi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A very easy book to follow. I don't like to cook and never really learned. This book brings people from step one..meaning what you should have in your kitchen and not just the food but the cookware you will need to actually cooking simple recipes.

This book would probably bore someone who already can cook, but is great for the novice.
Christina
My Aunt Kitty gave me this book for my college graduation, my first cookbook. Go figure! This book is not full of recipes, but is full of advice on how to navigate the kitchen.
Elise
Jan 24, 2008 Elise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mother in law gave me this when I was first married, and it is a great book. It gives great basic information. Nice to have on your shelf when you have a question about food.
Inga Sigurbjørnsdottir
HAHAHA! Alle som ikkje helt mestrer kjøkken kunst bør lese denne ;-)
Aug 07, 2007 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good place to start. How to boil an egg, etc.
Roger
Sep 12, 2013 Roger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good info.
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Ryan Phillips
Ryan Phillips marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Dvoye16
Dvoye16 marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Johanna Delgado
Johanna Delgado marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Jemima
Jemima marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Michelle D Fregia
Michelle D Fregia rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Kenneth Thompson
Kenneth Thompson rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Will Sartori
Will Sartori marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Sheila
Sheila rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Edgar F Rivera
Edgar F Rivera rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Tina Cousins
Tina Cousins marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Min
Min marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Adrift
Adrift is currently reading it
Dec 22, 2015
Kristen Lesperance
Kristen Lesperance rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
  • Blogging All-In-One for Dummies
  • Gluten-Free Cooking for Dummies
  • Etiquette For Dummies
  • Auto Repair For Dummies
  • Patti Labelle's Lite Cuisine
  • Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics: The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook and The Lady & Sons, Too!
  • Nutrition for Dummies
  • Copyediting & Proofreading for Dummies
  • Living Vegan for Dummies
  • Genetics For Dummies
  • Chess For Dummies
  • Resumes For Dummies
  • Logic For Dummies (For Dummies (Math & Science))
  • Sewing for Dummies
  • D.I.Y. Delicious: Recipes and Ideas for Simple Food from Scratch
  • The Best Homemade Baby Food on the Planet: Know What Goes Into Every Bite with More Than 200 of the Most Deliciously Nutritious Homemade Baby Food Recipes-Includes More Than 60 Purees Your Baby Will Love
  • Poker For Dummies