Cooking Basics for Dummies

Cooking Basics for Dummies

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Basic tools, techniques, and recipes for creating easy, delicious mealsIt doesn't take culinary mastery and great recipes to be a great cook. "Cooking Basics For Dummies, " 4th Edition, appeals to beginners who want to learn the basics of cooking and implement understandable and practical recipes in their everyday cooking experience.. "Cooking Basics For Dummies" digs you...more
Published December 14th 2010 by For Dummies (first published October 8th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Cooking Basics for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cooking Basics for Dummies

Andrea Ika
Book Review: Cooking Basic for Dummies

Bryan Miller #review2014

My rating : 4 stars

Blurb
Basic Cooking For Dummies, Third Edition digs you out of microwave dinners and tipping delivery persons and propels you with all the ingredients you need toward becoming a superior home cook. This hands-on guide shows you the fun and easy way to prepare meals all your guests will love, from die-hard vegetarians to the most passionate meat eaters. You�ll be able to handle boiling, poaching, steaming, braising,...more
Steven Peterson
The book begins with this comment (Page 1): “Whether you fancy yourself a hotshot home cook or someone who wouldn’t know a whisk from a Weimaraner, Cooking Basics for Dummies, 4th edition, can help you.” So, this book is designed, at one level, to provide a neophyte the tools to use as the foundation for decent cooking. As such, I think, it does its job nicely. I have sometimes seen rather lame entries into the “. . . for Dummies” series. This is not one of those.

The volume begins with the basic...more
Christopher
Apr 25, 2007 Christopher rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dummies who cook.
Actually, I don't think I own this book, but the one I have isn't showing up.

I have just plain ol' Cooking for Dummies. Not Basic. But this entry will do the job just fine, I suppose.

I like to cook, but let's face it - I'm a little dumb. I need things to remind me how many cups are in a tablespoon or how many litres will fit in a shot glass. I need something to walk me through the act of boiling eggs. I will never in my life remember how to make a roux, so I need it written out for me.

And that's...more
Kathi
A very easy book to follow. I don't like to cook and never really learned. This book brings people from step one..meaning what you should have in your kitchen and not just the food but the cookware you will need to actually cooking simple recipes.

This book would probably bore someone who already can cook, but is great for the novice.
Holly
I don't think this book would be entirely helpful for a beginner. That is, they'd have to read the whole thing, because the order is not entirely helpful. Measuring doesn't come until chapter 10? Very few pictures and most of those are drawings.
Christina
My Aunt Kitty gave me this book for my college graduation, my first cookbook. Go figure! This book is not full of recipes, but is full of advice on how to navigate the kitchen.
Elise
My mother in law gave me this when I was first married, and it is a great book. It gives great basic information. Nice to have on your shelf when you have a question about food.
Inga Sigurbjørnsdottir
HAHAHA! Alle som ikkje helt mestrer kjøkken kunst bør lese denne ;-)
This is a good place to start. How to boil an egg, etc.
Roger
Lots of good info.
Lidia Parachin
Lidia Parachin is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2014
Victoria Smith
Victoria Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Shannah Watson
Shannah Watson marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Hape
Hape marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Daniel G.
Daniel G. marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Alejandra Monsegue
Alejandra Monsegue marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Candy
Candy marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Bill Webster
Bill Webster marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Marcela
Marcela marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Laura Truscott
Laura Truscott marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Janelle
Janelle marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Cooking For Dummies New York Times Guide to Restaurants in New York City: 1993-1994 Video Game Addiction Worldwide: "Two Hours Of Video Games Can Be The Same As A Line Of Cocaine For Addicts" (Volume 1) Dinosaur Fun: With Letters [With Marker] Ayurveda & Aromatherapy: The Earth Essential Guide to Ancient Wisdom and Modern Healing