Start by marking “Wild Card” as Want to Read:
Wild Card

Wild Card

Jennie Hansen's latest action-packed novel is as full of twists and turns as the road to Galveston and Frank's new life. Set in turn-of-the-century America, this epic tale is as vast and sweeping as the plains of Texas. Filled with breathtaking suspense, Frank's story is one of misunderstandings, betrayals, beartaches - and deadly secrets. Bound together with an assortment ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Covenant Communications, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Wild Card, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Card

Heather
Tausha
Jul 11, 2015 Tausha rated it really liked it
3.5
Poor Frank! I decided it was good this book ended when it did because I am not sure I could have dealt with anything else happening to our Hero of the book. Man he had a rough start but in the end I am grateful he found his HEA. This was a pretty good western. It definitely covered some major issues of those times. Clean read. I was disappointed in Betsy and Franks courtship. It seemed to happen overnight. I felt we got more "history" from his time with Amelia??? All in all I enjoyed it, glad
Christina
I wish I had known this was a companion book to High Stakes before I had read it - I would have read them closer together. It's been awhile since I read the other and I only have vague memories of what happened. This is fun and easy to read. It is more adventure than romance. This book covers a lot of years without feeling 'choppy'.
Dorry Lou
May 30, 2013 Dorry Lou rated it liked it
I listened to this book on tape and I did enjoy it. It had its twists and turns and lots of action. It was definitely a western tale. It tells the story of Frank leaving his home and getting involved with outlaws, being betrayed and lots of heartaches. He finds himself in a race against time to save lives & heal old wounds. As stated in the reviews it was a struggle between good & evil. Good story.
Patricia
Nov 07, 2013 Patricia rated it liked it
Rating 2.5
This story was a coompanion book to the author's book "High Stakes." The first half of the book had parts that were exact repeats of the story in "High Stakes" so for me, because I just read "High Stakes the same day, I felt the unique part of thes tory did not start until midway through the book.

Diana
Apr 11, 2011 Diana rated it really liked it
My mother-in-law gave me this book on tape to listen to and I didn't think I would like it so I've had it for about 3 years. I finally thought I had better listen to it and give it back and I was surprised how much I like it.

A troubled teen runs away from home, grows up, finds adventure, learns a lot and eventually makes it home again many years later.
Carolyn
Jan 02, 2011 Carolyn rated it liked it
I decided to try a new author. This book didn't interest me until chapter 12. Then I finally started to enjoy it. Not sure if it was the author or because I listed to it on audio instead of read it myself and maybe it was the person reading it. I will give the author another chance though and try another book of hers.
May 27, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
After losing his ma and little sister, Frank becomes a rebelious youth even to the point of running away from home. Frank's life is anything but usual--outlaw, gambler, bounty hunter, newspaperman. It's only when his life comes full circle that peace will truly come to him. The companion book to Jannie Hansen's "High Stakes."
Melissa
Feb 17, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it
I liked how smoothly this book read. It cover some time in the book well too and I enjoyed the character development. It is a relaxing read and fun too. I think that my husband and sons will enjoy this book, which usually isn't the case with LDS fiction/romances. This is more of an adventure novel.
Swhe641200
Sep 13, 2010 Swhe641200 rated it liked it
OTHSB Quick read. Frank runs away from home for adventure in Texas. Ends up in a gang. Falls in love with Amelia a newspaper woman she is killed from a bullet amimed at him. Goes home to try to get Governor elet true story. HOuse is blown uyp Father killed. good book.
Lydia
Apr 01, 2009 Lydia rated it really liked it
Fun quick read....not your typical LDS story (i.e. more adventure then romance). This one is about the wild west and a guy who finds his way (from card-shark to gang member to bounty hunter and back to home).
Heidee
Sep 15, 2009 Heidee rated it really liked it
I loved this book! I cried and laughed with the characters. I loved how even after all the bad things that happened to Frank, he rose above it. I loved his determination to take care of Cory. Oh it was so good!
Nov 26, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-novels
I enjoyed this companion to HIGH STAKES. One of the minor characters in HIGH STAKES is Frank, a gambler turned bounty hunhter, and this book is about his life.

I'm hoping there are sequels to these two books where the characters move to Salt Lake and joint the LDS church.
Cami Daniels
Mar 12, 2012 Cami Daniels rated it really liked it
Logan and I listened to this on cd and we both enjoyed it. This is the first by this author that has a male lead and it was still great. Similar to her other books because there's lots if unexpected twists and turns to the story which makes it enjoyable to read.
Mala
Jun 25, 2009 Mala rated it liked it
A side spin story to the book High Stakes - It answered a few questions from the other book. Story about how it takes time to figure out who you really are and you shouldn't hang out with people who are not making good choices!
Jessica
Apr 01, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it
Jennie Hansen is one of the better LDS authors. Quick read, not to deep or too intense. I liked as a light read.
Shellie
Mar 22, 2013 Shellie rated it liked it
Good story. Not as predictable as I thought it would be. Glad to see that the characters are able to deal with what is thrown at them.
Loriann Fish
Nov 14, 2009 Loriann Fish rated it liked it
Not too bad. It was nice to see the story of "High Stakes" from another point of view. It got a little slow in the middle, but I liked it overall.
Jody
Aug 22, 2009 Jody rated it liked it
I thought it was good. It was the first time I read one of her books. I wasn't used to her writing style, but ened up enjoying the book! Great story line, never knew where it would go next!
Jul 01, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it
This was a story similar to the Prodigal Son except in a western setting. It is interesting how the main character is introduced to Mormons and the Book of Mormon. Interesting book.
Lindsay
Jun 26, 2008 Lindsay rated it liked it
Shelves: ldsfiction
Second part of the series beginning with High Stakes. I liked this one better than the first one. Again, just a classic western with slightly Mormon themes. A good story.
Trisha
Trisha rated it it was ok
Sep 11, 2008
Joyce
Dec 25, 2010 Joyce rated it really liked it
Fun, easy read.
Cami
Cami rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2012
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2010
Natalie
Natalie rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2010
Melanieblakepetersen
Melanieblakepetersen rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2009
Susie
Susie rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2013
Becca Smith
Becca Smith rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2016
  • Double Cross (Haggerty Mystery, #7)
  • Pathway Home  (Yesterday's Love, #4)
  • No Longer Strangers
  • Towers of Brierley
  • Relentless
  • Rubies and Rebels (Gems and Espionage, #9)