Start by marking “Missing Justice (Samantha Kincaid #2)” as Want to Read:
Missing Justice (Samantha Kincaid #2)

Missing Justice (Samantha Kincaid #2)

Newly promoted Deputy District Attorney Samantha Kincaid's first assignment back after a much-needed vacation is a hot one: Judge Clarissa Easterbrook has gone missing from a wealthy Portland neighborhood, and Sam has to make the DA look good until the prodigal judge returns. Yet it soon becomes clear that the woman didn't vanish voluntarily-and it's no surprise when her ...more
Published May 3rd 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published June 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Missing Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missing Justice

Andrew Smith
Nov 22, 2014 Andrew Smith rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-finished
I'll start with some mitigation as to why I only awarded this one star - it's my standard rating if I abandon a book before completion. I listened to this on audiobook and my chief problem with it was that the whole thing felt way to 'girly' for me. I like my crime fiction more hard boiled than this - much more hard boiled! To me it felt too much like an (American) episode of Midsummer Murders, the BBC series that's guaranteed to either send me to sleep or drive me to the wine rack. How much of ...more
Maddy
Sep 15, 2013 Maddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2004-reads
Samantha Kincaid is a Deputy District Attorney with the Major Crimes Unit in Portland, Oregon, having recently moved up from a position in the Vice squad. She is assigned to the homicide of an administrative law judge named Clarissa Easterbrook. It appears to be a random killing that occurred while she was walking the family dog. But as Sam becomes more involved with the case, she finds that there is more to the situation than meets the eye, including the possibility that Clarissa was cheating ...more
Jerry
Jul 05, 2010 Jerry rated it really liked it
Author's sophomore effort: complex entertaining plot : A+

And so we have here Alafair's second book, "Missing Justice". We agree that whether or not she got published through dad's (James Lee Burke) connections matters not, as this high achiever (Stanford Law School grad, former ADA in Portland OR) obviously herself has what it takes to write a fascinating story. Moreover, the novel is so laced with real life, one learns a lot about workplace issues as a prosecutor, rural land space versus urban
Lewis Weinstein
Mar 24, 2013 Lewis Weinstein rated it liked it
Interesting story - #2 in the Samantha Kincaid series. Enough tension and investigative detail to keep me turning pages, despite some confusion among multiple characters and story lines. My approach in reading mysteries like this is simply to go along with the flow, not obsess about what I am not understanding, and hope that It all comes together in the end, which this story did.

I read Missing Justice before its predecessor Judgment Calls and, unfortunately, too much is revealed about the prior
Jeff Dickison
Mar 10, 2013 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good murder-mystery. Alifair Burke is a totally different kind of writer than her father and it makes no sense to compare the two. He is the premier action-adventure author in America (easily the best author in America) and she writes adventures where the mind must figure out what is happening, and she is very good at that. Two different writers using two different approaches. He is fantastic, she is good. This story has to do with the murder of a judge who is caught up in corruption. Of ...more
Ssmorrow
Nov 03, 2012 Ssmorrow rated it really liked it
I didn't realize Alafair was anyone other than a character in her father's books, so when I happened upon this book, I couldn't resist buying it. After the first few pages, I almost put it back on the shelf. But, I'm glad I stuck with it. It seemed as if Ms. Burke went through some growing pains for a chapter or two before growing comfortable with her innate writing style.
Or maybe I just got used to it. Whatever the case may be, I ended up really enjoying the storyline, the pace, and the dry se
Judy
Nov 08, 2009 Judy rated it really liked it
I like this lady. She writes a good story and doesn't throw so many plots in there you can't follow any of them. Some writers just fill up the pages with plot after plot until you need a roadmap to navigate all of them. I have now read three of Alafair's and in her own way she is as good as her father, James Lee.
Bonnie
Dec 10, 2012 Bonnie rated it liked it
Maybe it was the timing but I had a hard time really getting into the book. The story should have been engrossing but I just couldn't get myself there. I also find the author's need to add detail detracts from her story when so many of her details about things are wrong.
Kathleen Crowell
Jun 21, 2012 Kathleen Crowell rated it it was ok
Not a fan of this series. The characters are cardboard cut-outs and the story line is formulaic. Every time I think Sam has a light bulb moment, she goes home. The next morning she goes to work and we're left hanging. The romance with Chuck is annoying and boring. Enough said.
Cathy
Jun 28, 2010 Cathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-books
I thought this one held together pretty well. I keep feeling like though Chuck is going to turn out to be a bad guy....
Jen
Sep 21, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing
Missing Justice is the second novel in Alafair Burke's Samantha Kincaid series. This book finds Deputy District Attorney Samantha promoted to the Major Crimes Division of the Portland District Attorney's office and investigating her first major murder case: the murder of Clarissa Easterbrook. Clarissa Easterbrook is an administrative law judge in Portland and her husband is the attending surgeon at Oregon Health Sciences University.

Everything seems to be in the bag when Melvin Jackson is found
Teresa in Ohio
Follow up to Judgment Calls A Mystery by Alafair Burkethis case is her first case after returning to work and being assigned to the Major case squad. A judge is missing and it reads like a typical case from the missing person to arrest of a suspect. Only problem book is just about 150 pages in and there is a lot left to read. There are hints that this could be a cover for other things going on in Portland and she just won't let it go. MY PROBLEM with this book it took forever to get to the end, I knew what was going on just to get the ...more
Allan
Oct 23, 2008 Allan rated it liked it
I must be dyslexic for I'm reading Alafair Burke's "Samantha Kincaid" series in reverse order. In any order, though, I am enjoying her work. In no way does her writing emulate her father's work; she works from within her character in an illuminating style that keeps the reader focused on events from behind Samantha's eyes.

This works well and I enjoy the sensation - reminds me in some ways of the Robert Montgomery film, "Lady in the Lake" where the camera shots are all taken from the protagonist'
Caroline
Jan 02, 2009 Caroline rated it it was ok
I bought this book because I love James Lee Burke's novels. Alafair Burke is his daughter, and is an attorney. I have to say that although it was a fairly well-written book and I finished it, it did not have the color and description that I love in her father's work. It is probably unfair of me to compare the two novelists, but because they both write detective novels, it's difficult not to compare them.

I found Missing Justice slow-moving, with not much action. As legal thrillers go, it's probab
Beth
May 01, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it
Alafair Burke is an excellent writer, although not as stupendous as her father, James Lee. Nevertheless I enjoy her characters and stories and "Missing Justice" is good read so far. A believable plot, likeable main characters, and a sense of optimism makes the book far more fun to read than many procedurals.

Book finished and it was well worth it. Some good twists and turns, all very believable and authentic. Her main character, Samantha Kincaid, is just as independent and stubborn and James Lee
Ayny
2.5 As a fan of James Lee Burke, I decided to try one of his daughter Alafair Burke's novels.
This book is second in a series, interesting story and descriptions of northwest US Portland OR. Too much legalese for me (I skimmed through that) Ms. Burke knows her stuff and her character Deputy DA Kincaid is believable, as are some others. Maybe too many extra cops names to keep track of, otherwise a quick read.

Marti
Mar 10, 2009 Marti rated it really liked it
I have read a number of book's by Alafair Burke's father, James Lee Burke, and have been gratified to discover that they can both write a compelling book. I recommended this one to my husband, but he has saved it for reading while waiting for my medical appointments, and so hasn't really gotten into it.

It is great that she decided to use her life experience in law as the basis of her writing.
Patsy
Jul 18, 2012 Patsy rated it liked it
Maybe a 2.5. Alafair Burke is the daughter of James Lee Burke. Missing Justice is the first Samantha Kincaid book for me, the second in the series. It is formulaic but a decent enough summer read. The Portland, Oregon setting is refreshing. Overall, a mediocre police and DA procedural but I may check out another Samantha Kincaid in the hopes the author develops some of her father's ease and ability to carry a complex mystery.
Jan Aldergate
Jul 25, 2011 Jan Aldergate rated it really liked it
This is the first one of her books I've read and I really enjoyed it. A likeable heroine, but with flaws and a good plot. Lots of twists and suspense. Felt the end was a little rushed, and missed all the clues leading to it but that was my only complaint. Definitely an author to put on my read again list.
Beth
Jun 25, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing
I am enjoying Burke's female leads and her police/DA stories. There is always a twist and the main characters aren't perfect (they are human). Some of the personal relationship story line is not as realistic as my world would be but these are good reads.
Kim Guzzo
Jul 18, 2010 Kim Guzzo rated it liked it
This book was just too light. Full of facts on how to be a sucessful defense attorney and how not to behave to get along in an office. I would not reccommend for a serious read but if you had a couple of hours one night to kill this book moves fast.
Melissa
Nov 18, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
Good mystery with a strong female lead. I haven't read the 1st book in the series yet. But the author does a good job summarizing without bogging down.
Ellen Mandly
Feb 08, 2013 Ellen Mandly rated it liked it
3.75 almost a 4 but I knocked it down due to the reader - very good, except right off the bat I knew she was Austrailian doing an American accent! Why?? Good new series from an author I like.
Juliet
Dec 06, 2014 Juliet rated it liked it
A re-read but I didn't remember the denouement. I like the character of Samantha Kincaid a lot. But the plot got a bit over complicated. Unnecessarily so. Still, a fun read.
Shirley
Aug 10, 2010 Shirley rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Actually had read this a few years ago, so this time just gave it a quick skim. Still good story line generally but too much court room stuff. Wife of doctor murdered, lots of intrique
Judy
Aug 02, 2011 Judy rated it liked it
I enjoyed the first book about Samantha Kincaid so thought I'd try another. The story is full of interesting characters and had enough twists and turns to keep me interested.
Stephanie
Jun 26, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable entry in the Samantha Kincaid series. Picked out the murderer very quickly in this one, but it was interesting to see how the whole case evolved. I'll definitely read more.
Cindy
Mar 01, 2010 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Samantha Kincaid is smart, and human enough to not be fearless, yet strong and determined enough to not let her fear stop her.
Cindy
Mar 31, 2016 Cindy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't even finish it--it was like "who cares?" about the story!
Ralynn
Nov 12, 2012 Ralynn rated it liked it
pretty good a little too much cussing especially the f-word
  • Crash and Burn (Moreno & Hart Mysteries, #1)
  • Law of Attraction (Anna Curtis, #1)
  • Terminal Ambition, A Maggie Mahoney Novel
  • Killer Ambition (Rachel Knight, #3)
  • Acts of Desperation
  • The Next Victim (Kali O'Brien, #7)
  • In Doubt
  • Proof Positive (Amanda Jaffe, #3)
  • House Justice (Joe DeMarco, #5)
  • The Secret Hour
  • Whirlwind
  • One Under (Bill Slider, #18)
  • In The Moon Of Red Ponies (Billy Bob Holland, #4)
  • The Art of Drowning
  • Desperate Measures (Gabriel Ash and Hazel Best, #3)
  • Land of Careful Shadows (Jimmy Vega Mystery, #1)
  • The Advocate's Conviction (The Advocate #3)
  • Heart of a Killer
Alafair Burke is the New York Times bestselling author of "two power house series" (Sun-Sentinel) that have earned her a reputation for creating strong, believable, and eminently likable female characters, such as NYPD Detective Ellie Hatcher and Portland Deputy District Attorney Samantha Kincaid. Alafair's novels grow out of her experience as a prosecutor in America's police precincts and ...more
More about Alafair Burke...

Samantha Kincaid (3 books)
  • Judgment Calls (Samantha Kincaid #1)
  • Close Case (Samantha Kincaid #3)