Start by marking “Holy Terrors (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #3)” as Want to Read:
Holy Terrors (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #3)

Holy Terrors (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #3)

Catering the annual pre-Easter brunch and egg hunt is a hare-raising hassle for Judith McManigle, hard-working hostess of the Hillside Manor.And this year's egg scramble gets particularly messy when the reclusive wife of a local scion is fatally perforated my a fiend dressed in a bunny suit. Never one to pass up a good murder, Judith solicits the help of her sometime-beau ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Holy Terrors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Terrors

Shalini
Nov 20, 2011 Shalini rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy mystery fans
Shelves: ebooks, cozy-mystery
This is the 4th of a long series of Bed and Breakfast mysteries, involving two friendly cousins and their warring septuagenarian mothers, who provide a comic relief. Judith runs a B & B from her renovated dilapidated family homestead. She is a widow of 4 years standing, who escaped from a bad marriage after the death of her cribbing and hugely obese husband. Her former lover, Joe Flynn (am not sure of the name) had re-entered her life in the first book, and they are on the verge of getting m ...more
Lindsay
Aug 05, 2012 Lindsay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Better than her latest book. The characters didn't seem quite so crazy. I don't like the mom. She's mean. Hopefully the author kills her off. The storyline took place around Easter so I think that made it more interesting.
Zuzana
The mystery wasn't bad but I loathed almost all of the characters. Mean, bigoted, hypocritical or just plain crazy.
The Badger
I have an affinity for cozy mysteries. They generally aren't written in pursuit of a spot on the bestseller list; rather, cozies are written to give the reader a sense of comfort and calm (ironically, by way of murder).

My mom read cozies to escape her three eccentric young daughters and grumpy husband: one daughter, the artist, painted five-foot tall green flowers on the side of the freshly painted rental when she was four; the adventurous daughter asked which way north was, and was found by ne
Sara
Jun 12, 2016 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I keep reading these books; almost every character in them makes me irrationally angry and annoyed. I think, I just keep hoping that the mystery will be worth it -- sort of like Charlene Harris' books about a small Texas town. The mystery in this book wasn't too bad, actually - nothing special, nothing awful, but honestly the protagonist is so unlikeable, I'm incapable of cheering for her. Probably the most hilariously ironic part of the book was when the author makes this state ...more
LJ
Aug 18, 2008 LJ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
HOLY TERRORS - Okay
Daheim - 3rd in Bed-and-Breadfast series

Catering the annual pre-Easter brunch and egg hunt is a hare-raising hassle for Judith McManigle, hard-working hostess of the Hillside Manor. And this year's egg scramble gets particularly messy when the reclusive wife of a local scion is fatally perforated my a fiend dressed in a bunny suit. Never one to pass up a good murder, Judith solicits the help of her sometime-beau policeman Joe and her irrepressible Cousin Renie to get energized
Danielle
Jul 18, 2013 Danielle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Emily Davidson
Apr 17, 2016 Emily Davidson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book at a church rummage sale for a quarter, and that was a quarter which was wisely spent. It seems odd that a murder mystery could be considered hilarious, yet this one was. Also, although there are a lot of twists and turns and a large cast of characters, each person has a distinct personality, which makes them easier to keep track of. And, like all good murder mysteries, the clues the reader needs to solve the puzzle are right there in the text...you just have to be clever enou ...more
Georgette
Feb 24, 2014 Georgette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with many of the Bed and Breakfast Series, this book is best read in order..and I am totally out of order and need to get back ..despite this ,it was easy to get back into the wild and crazy lives surrounding Hillside Manor, Judith and her cousin Reenie who live on or near Heraldsgate Hill. This book #3 in the series is lots of fun, and easy to read, woven together around the Easter Holiday and the attendees of SOTS(Star of the Sea) Church, a murder and the usual whodunnit and the mayhem that ...more
VJ
Mar 19, 2013 VJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I have a love-hate relationship with these characters. The mysteries are well thought out with lots of red herrings and many different threads all woven in. I do like Judith, but I think she's a ninny sometimes! Joe alternately makes me adore him and detest him. Renie mostly makes me laugh. I still can't figure out why the characters keep the dumb cat around if they all despise him so much!!!

In any case, this book had just enough twists and turns so that I didn't put everything together before t
Beth
Jun 22, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another in the series of what might be called "cozy" murder mysteries. Interesting, real characters with a continuation of their life stories and how the murder gets solved by their knowledge of the people involved and the background.

Only strange thing is - how many people are around multiple murders in their lives? Now really. They are needed for the premise of the series but.....

Probably will read more of these as they are an easy read with some thought involved to see where the story is going
Feb 10, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
I didn't like this book as well as the first one, but better than the second. Mary Daheim introduces so many "suspects" in each book that it is a bit confusing, and this one proved even more so, but in the end the murderer wasn't a total surprise (although I didn't really expect it.) The motive was a bit weak, but the banter and repeat characters of the book made a far fetched murder worth the read.
Erika
The mystery was good, everything else not so much. Even taking into account setting, religion and time of writing, Judith is a ninny. Also, the overuse of last names on all the minor characters got tiresome by the end of the first chapter, let alone the end of the book. What kept it entertaining was Judith's interactions with Renie and Gertrude and the Duffy's secret pasts.
Susan
The women in Star of the Sea parish gather to help with the annual Easter egg hunt, but all the gossip is about the recent death of a wealthy parishioner. Then a body is found, and Judith McGonigle learns that money was left to a mysterious woman. Judith is worried about the annulment request of her long-time love, Joe Flynn, but concentrates on finding a murderer.
Chris
I have read several of this author's books and enjoy them as a quick read. You have Judith who is the owner of a B&B. Her cantankerous mother keeps her on her toes and her cousin Renie keeps her grounded. Her killed the wife of the heir of fortune after an Easter egg hunt at the church. Judith his helping her ex-flame Joe with the case.
Diane Falvey
Feb 03, 2013 Diane Falvey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the Third installment of this great series. Feel like i'm really starting to get to know the main characters in the stories. Once again an intriguing murder mystery. Love the way all the pieces of the puzzle come together at the end.

Each book leaves me eager to read the next.
Glenn Harris
Jun 04, 2013 Glenn Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Innkeeper Judith McManigle has yet another murder mystery to solve while trying to keep her guests and her extremely cranky mother happy. As this series goes on, you can see Daheim getting the kind of control over her dialogue and materials that she later displayed so well in the Emma Lord series.
Janet Robel
I really enjoy these bed and breakfast mysteries. Judith's mother Gertrude always has me in stitches. This is the third book in the series. I've already read the other two and plan on reading all of them in order.
H.S.
Jan 11, 2016 H.S. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a while since I read this series and took several chapters to get into it.
Michele
Aug 05, 2013 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this series ages ago, but got right hack into it and really enjoyed it. just when you think there are no more skeletons inxanyone's closet, think again.
Maureen
A fun who done it.
Susan
Jul 18, 2013 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too many characters to keep the relationships straight. This series should be better than it is; I like the Emma Lord one much better.
Dale Rosso
Jan 05, 2014 Dale Rosso rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I really enjoy the Bed & Breakfast mysteries because they take place in Seattle where I grew up. Daheim is up to her usual standard with this entry in the series.
Gwyneth
yet another awsome B&B mystery.
Francesca
Jun 24, 2015 Francesca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes mystery, anyone looking for cozy reads
This series is my go-to for rainy days and cozy reads. It's not the best book in the series, but it is a fun, interesting read nonetheless.
Debra McEathron
Mar 27, 2015 Debra McEathron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is the third book in this series and it it is a quick fun readsetting up clues to figure out her done it.
Rebecca
I enjoy this series..its quirky.. and I adore Judith and her mother they just crack me up.. that being said.. this one was a little off the wall.
Gloria
Jan 30, 2015 Gloria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite!
Candace Wegner
Fun...but some plot twists seemed to be a bit far fetched.
Daelith
May 21, 2008 Daelith marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Only got 17 pages into this one before moving on.
  • The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)
  • The Labor Day Murder (Christine Bennett, #10)
  • Who Killed the Queen of Clubs? (Thoroughly Southern, #7)
  • A Wicked Slice (Lee Ofsted, #1)
  • Bye Bye Bertie (Ivy Towers, #2)
  • Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #10)
  • Silver Scream
  • Effigies (Faye Longchamp, #3)
  • Murder Gets a Life (Southern Sisters, #5)
Seattle native Mary Richardson Daheim has been fascinated by story-telling since early childhood. She first listened, then read, and finally began to write her own fiction when she was ten. A journalism major at the University of Washington, she was the first female editor of The Daily where she attracted national attention with her editorial stance against bigotry.

After getting her B.A., she wor
More about Mary Daheim...

Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Just Desserts (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #1)
  • Fowl Prey (Bed-and-Breakfast, #2)
  • Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast, #4)
  • Bantam of the Opera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #5)
  • A Fit of Tempera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #6)
  • Major Vices (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #7)
  • Murder, My Suite (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #8)
  • Auntie Mayhem (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #9)
  • Nutty as a Fruitcake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #10)
  • September Mourn (Bed-and-Breakfast, #11)