Start by marking “Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs” as Want to Read:
Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs

Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs (Effective C++ #1)

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,193 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
Since early in the 90s, working C++ programmers have relied on Scott Meyers s Effective C++ to dramatically improve their skills. But the state-of-the-art has moved forward dramatically since Meyers last updated this book in 1997. (For instance, there s now STL. Design patterns. Even new functionality being added through TR1 and Boost.) So Meye
Published May 1st 2005 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Effective C++, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Effective C++

The Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew HuntThe C Programming Language by Brian W. KernighanDesign Patterns by Erich GammaCode Complete by Steve McConnellClean Code by Robert C. Martin
Essential Programming Books
24th out of 126 books — 337 voters
Code Complete by Steve McConnellThe Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew HuntStructure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Harold AbelsonThe C Programming Language by Brian W. KernighanIntroduction to Algorithms by Thomas H. Cormen
To-Read for Programmers
13th out of 87 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Mark
Jan 23, 2014 Mark rated it it was amazing
I hate C++. Even after using it for several years I was still unaware of some of the pitfalls of the language. This book is a absolute necessity if you're doing any C++ coding, as it's analogous to having a veteran C++ programmer sit with you for an afternoon and point out all of the things to avoid.

Once in college, I remember discovering the fact that the copy constructor is called on objects passed in by value through an afternoon of intense debugging. These seem obvious to me now, but at the
Elliott Bignell
Apr 10, 2015 Elliott Bignell rated it really liked it
I have owned this book for several years and typically re-read it about every year or so. To say that a book is necessary reading is sometimes hyperbolic, but if you want to understand C++ then it is the simple truth in this case. Meyers has written three books on C++ - this volume, "More Effective C++" and "Effective STL". You, fellow programmer, need them all. Plus "Design Patterns", of course. Stroustrup and the ACR probably belong beside them, but Meyers is uniquely readable - easily the bes ...more
Nick Black
Dec 19, 2008 Nick Black rated it really liked it
A necessary reference for anyone doing professional C++, but what this book really ought tell you is that professional C++ is a terrible idea.
Emil
Oct 04, 2009 Emil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most books on c++ just list features of the language, without really explaining when should you use them and how to combine them. This books does so. It will help you design cleaner, more stable, well formed, and efficient programs in C++.

Here are some of the most valueable (for me) subjects found in this book:

- Efficient memory management when you need it
- Proper mechanisms to use to express yourself when writing classes - when to use templates, single inheritance, private inheritance; multiple
Mohammad Huwaidi
Somehow, I don't feel comfortable with Meyer's style.
OK JaeWoo
Mar 07, 2014 OK JaeWoo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Benjamin
Mar 01, 2015 Benjamin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cpp, comp-sci
While not updated for C++11 (check out A Tour of C++ and Modern Effective C++ for that), this was a very insightful read and exactly what I hoped it to be: a great second book about C++. The items are mostly self-contained, so you can read one every now and then with losing too much of an overall context, yet items are cross-referenced everywhere so you can back and skim older topics again.

I've read the ebook version of this and I'm not a fan of the way source code is shown (with line breaks in
Uri
Jan 31, 2016 Uri rated it it was amazing
Effective C++ is a great book to deepen your software development knowledge. I highly recommend on reading this book (even if you don't see yourself working in C++ in the near future), just to understand the principles and the roots of the language's constructs.
Scott Meyers definitely knows how to shed the light on the most important parts of the language. The suggestions are concise, easy readable and provide a great language overview.
Forest Tong
May 19, 2015 Forest Tong rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book about good coding practice in C++. The author talks about many subtle aspects of the language like the keyword const and passing by reference, and how misusing them can lead to huge design problems and misusage by clients. Assumes prior experience with C++, but is surprisingly readable.
Kirill
Dec 20, 2013 Kirill rated it it was amazing
Terrific read! Every single one from the 55 Items is a pearl and the way they are written is outstanding!

If you read that everyone returning a dereferenced pointer should be "skinned alive, or possibly sentenced to ten years hard labor writing microcode for waffle irons and toaster ovens" then you will definitely pay attention to what your function returns! Or how good is this estimate of multiple inheritance: "Depending oh who is doing the talking, multiple inheritance is either the product of
Nariman
Apr 08, 2015 Nariman rated it it was amazing
بهتره قبل از این که تو رزومه هاتون بنویسید مسلط به سی پلاس پلاس(!) یک بار این کتاب رو خونده باشید.گر چه از اون کتابایی هست که با یه بار خوندن نمی شه روش مسلط شد و با هر بار خوندن چیزای جدید یاد می گیرین!
Connor Stack
Mar 15, 2016 Connor Stack rated it liked it
Shelves: programming
Very pragmatic, with plenty of useful pieces of advice.

Also full of hacky workarounds to terrible language quirks.

I learned a lot about how C++ works, but mostly how it's a cobbled-together mess.
Vitor Capela
Aug 09, 2015 Vitor Capela rated it it was amazing
Improved my C++ manifold at a time I sorely needed it. Part of me actually enjoyed internalizing all the ways you could tame the monstrosity the language can be.
Andreea Lucau
Jan 07, 2013 Andreea Lucau rated it really liked it
There were some things that I applied in programming because "that's the right way". This book explains why. I've noted several quotes that made me smile:

Whenever you can avoid friend functions, you should, because, much as in real life, friends are
often more trouble than they're worth.
You can inline and otherwise tweak your functions until the cows come home, but it's wasted effort unless you're focusing on the right functions.
Personally, I find what tr1::function lets you do so amazing, it mak
Yao Liu
Apr 30, 2016 Yao Liu rated it really liked it
It is a good book in general. I still learn a lot though I have gone through the C++ programming book. Parts of the books are a bit outdated since the C++11 has become popular. However, it's interesting to see how the standard becomes a standard. The first five chapters don't give me much new information. Chapter 6-8 is a bit heavy. I like chapter 6 a lot. It gives me a new perspective to C++ OOD. Chapter 9 doesn't seem useful at all. But it has only several pages, can be done within minutes.
Zenkibou
Sep 23, 2014 Zenkibou rated it really liked it
Good book for anyone wanting to dig a little into C++. This includes a lot of good practices that are clearly required for C++, explain some difficult C++ parts and even adds some useful tricks to be used in complicated situations.
Bimbum
Aug 20, 2016 Bimbum rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
I read this in 2006 before C++11 and everything since but it helped me a lot.
Hsieh Yu-Hua
May 12, 2015 Hsieh Yu-Hua rated it it was amazing
Masterpiece.
A Must Read for C++ Programmer, just like C++ Primer.
Ernie Cordell
Nov 05, 2012 Ernie Cordell rated it it was amazing
I marked this as "read" largely because I've read the First Edition, which is essentially the same book, but I'm coming back to add that it's still a great book for learning all those parts of C++ that you don't have time to discover while working. I'm not prepared to say that it's a better book yet, but I will say that it promises to be at this point. My problem in committing is not mere indecision, it's optique -- I'm still re-reading The Kernighan & Ritchie Text after having read its Firs ...more
Artem Komisarenko
Must read для плюсовика. Великий плюс -- легко читається.
Pat Rondon
Jan 04, 2015 Pat Rondon rated it it was amazing
Helpful guidance through the C++ minefield.
David Fandel
2nd edition
Dwight Walker
Good for embedded system development.
Victor Dolirio
Like it~
James
Jan 17, 2015 James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-non-fiction
Not only insightful, but entertaining too. "Whenever you can avoid friend functions you should, because, much as in real life, friends are often more trouble than they're worth" -pg 105. And on the definition of pure virtual functions: "Aside from helping you impress fellow programmers at cocktail parties, knowledge of this feature is generally of limited use." Section 8: Customising new and delete was particularly tricky. A wealth of advice, but turning it into practise may prove tricky !
Software Books an...: Location for the next event 9 16 Apr 14, 2014 02:02PM
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • Writing Solid Code
  • C++ Primer
  • Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment
  • The Practice of Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series)
  • Programming Pearls
  • C++ Concurrency in Action: Practical Multithreading
  • Writing Secure Code
  • Large-Scale C++ Software Design
  • The Art of UNIX Programming
  • Programming Perl
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Effective C++ (4 books)
  • More Effective C++
  • Effective STL: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of the Standard Template Library
  • Effective Modern C++: 42 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of C++11 and C++14

“That doesn't upset too many people, but the fact that accessibility restrictions don't enter into the picture has caused more than one otherwise pacifistic soul to contemplate distinctly unpacifistic actions.” 1 likes