Start by marking “Journey into Madness: The True Story of Secret CIA Mind Control & Medical Abuse” as Want to Read:
Journey into Madness: The True Story of Secret CIA Mind Control & Medical Abuse

Notes
Sources
Bibliography
Index
Published May 1st 1989 by Bantam Books (NYC et al.) (first published December 10th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Journey into Madness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journey into Madness

Erik Graff
Jan 01, 2014 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: psychology
Gordon Thomas is a journalist, not an historian. As might be expected, his Journey into Madness reads well, but hasn't the structure and organized detail one would expect of a history. Instead of an exhaustive overview of what is known of CIA forays into trying to psychologically control people, Thomas gives snapshots of particular events and persons, affording a general sense of just how pernicious and influential our CIA has been in the modern medical history of torture.

Thomas frames his book
James
Having had a girlfriend in the early 70s whose brother was a conscientious objector, I knew of army experiments with mind altering drugs way back then. This book takes us back even further into the post-Korean War nexus of Cold Warriors in the intelligence and psychiatric communities. I had run across the name of one of these spook shrinks before in a research paper I wrote back then, but I learned, to my horror, a great deal more about him in this book. The book is quite dated, I think, but (a) ...more
Caro
I really like it this book. I took it in a bookstore just because the title sounded interesting. i do not regret my decision. Thomas knows how to tell the story of the experiments of the CIA in the 50's and 60's. He also describe to us the consequences of these experiments. Along with this story Thomas also show us the story of the CIA and some of their top agents and what happen with them. Is very interesting to see how all the stories that at the beginning did not seem so related start to make ...more
Shawn
The sad truth about what we (the U.S.) did (mostly in Canada) to innocent people - and none of it is conspiracy stuff!
Israel
En este trabajo Gordon ha realizado una cruda denuncia del uso de la psiquiatría en el espionaje y en concreto, del papel de los expertos de la CIA que en épocas recientes se vieron envueltos en un programa de investigación en el área de la tortura sicológica a través de la aplicación de métodos tan terribles como el lavado de cerebro, las lobotomias, los electroshocks, el control mental, el aislamiento y otros tormentos inhumanos y degradantes.

Aquí el autor da a conocer de primera mano un testi
CKS
The chilling story of Ewen Cameron who at the time served as president of the World Psychiatric Association as well as both the American and Canadian Psychological Associations while conducting his so-called 'psychic driving'
experiments, aimed at realizing effective mind control techniques at Allen Memorial Institute in Montreal, under the direct control of Allen Dulles' CIA funded MK Ultra program.
April (The Steadfast Reader)
Excellent book outlining medical abuse not only of the CIA, but major terrorist organizations and many foriegn governments. It makes me shiver to think of Guantanomo which is much more recent. The book was published in 1989, making it a little dated, but I still thing fiercely relevant.
Chuck White
Have you ever wondered if our government can really be as dirty as some make it out to be? Well, in another time atleast certain parts of our government has been. This book is an eye opener and a good read.
J
The concept behind this book was great, but the writing is extremely dry. I couldn't finish it because it was like trying to eat sand.
Cns
Tom Cruise was right...
Anne Whittington
Anne Whittington marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Tom Fogleman
Tom Fogleman marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Constanza Leon
Constanza Leon marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
B. Jackson
B. Jackson marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Neha Israney
Neha Israney marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Alejandra
Alejandra marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Leighton Jenkins
Leighton Jenkins marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Zuri.
Zuri. marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Hazy Amber
Hazy Amber marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Jeremy Maddux
Jeremy Maddux marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Journey into Madness 2 9 Feb 13, 2012 11:12AM
  • The Search for the Manchurian Candidate: The CIA & Mind Control
  • A Terrible Mistake: The Murder of Frank Olson and the CIA's Secret Cold War Experiments
  • Ghost Plane: The True Story of the CIA Torture Program
  • Whiteout: The CIA,Drugs and the Press
  • A Question of Torture: CIA Interrogation from the Cold War to the War on Terror (American Empire Project)
  • Dark Alliance: The CIA, the Contras, and the Cocaine Explosion
  • Confessions of a Spy
  • Sinister Forces-The Nine: A Grimoire of American Political Witchcraft
  • Kill the Messenger: How the CIA's Crack-Cocaine Controversy Destroyed Journalist Gary Webb
  • The Franklin Cover-Up: Child Abuse, Satanism, and Murder in Nebraska
  • Wonders in the Sky: Unexplained Aerial Objects from Antiquity to Modern Times
  • JFK: The CIA, Vietnam and the Plot to Assassinate John F. Kennedy
  • PSI Spies: The True Story of America's Psychic Warfare Program
  • The New World Order
Gordon Thomas (born 1933) is a Welsh author who has written more than fifty books.
Thomas was born in Wales, in a cemetery keeper's cottage where his grandmother lived. He had his first story published at nine years old in a Boy's Own Paper competition. With his father in the RAF, he traveled widely and was educated at the Cairo High School, the Maritz Brothers (in Port Elizabeth, South Africa) and
More about Gordon Thomas...
Gideon's Spies: The Secret History of the Mossad (Updated) Enola Gay: The Bombing of Hiroshima Voyage of the Damned Secret Wars: One Hundred Years of British Intelligence Inside MI5 and MI6 The Day the Bubble Burst: A Social History of the Wall Street Crash of 1929