3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  8 reviews
An idealistic young Englishman, Harry Summerfield, befriends an American oil explorer in Gibraltar in the 1930s. Their meeting sparks a journey for both men which will take them across Morocco and northern Africa, to encounter the harsh realities of Berber opposition to French colonial rule and the passion of a love for the same young French woman. Full of action, characte...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Beautiful Books

Terri
This book was a pleasant surprise for me. I don't usually read this sort of fiction, but I was in the mood for a little love story action.
Set in North Africa and Morocco, Amazir is refreshing in its description of this part of the world in the late 30's, where French Colonial rule is fighting for its toehold and Europe is on the cusp of World War 2.
While not a 5 star book, and sometimes not even 4, I found it to be a highly underrated book and it should be more popular on Goodreads.
Sue
I thought this novel really engaging.

I love these desert stories. So far from the world I live in. But because it's not something I've experienced myself it is vital that the novelist can get that world across to me. And Tom Gamble does this with ease. Excellent writing style, engaging, touching and full of detail. His language brings the characters out of the page and into the reader's brain. You can feel the heat and smell the dust.

I would definitely seek out more books by this author and rea...more
Elizabeth Ashworth
I had such high hopes of this book. It was shortlisted for the RNA novel of the year award and the opening chapters were interesting. But I'm afraid that boredom soon set in. I struggled on to around page 350 but then gave up, despite a determination to see it through to the end.

The story itself began with promise and had potential, but the plot was slow and became dreary. In the end there was nothing compelling enough to make me want to know what happened next. There were too many 'information...more
Wildpurl
I really loved this book. The sense of atmosphere and of being in the places described was very intense. I really empathised with Harry and how he felt as a stranger in a strange land, and how he acclimatised and became part of where he was living.

The main characters were well drawn and in keeping with the era they lived in, and I was drawn into their stories and wanted to know what became of them.

The story begins in a time of peace, and describes the idyllic (if stifling) suburban lives of the...more
Barb Hailey
After traveling within Morocco for two weeks and seeing this title displayed on a table in a hotel in Imlil, I knew I had to read it. It takes place during prior to and during World War II when tribal people fought against the Vichy French. I found myself taken back to that time and place. While I've never seen "Casablanca" in its entirety, it did remind me of that particular era, with Morocco filled with people of different cultures, and two different love stories. I really liked the characters...more
John Henderson
I really loved this book. Although I read it some time ago the scenes and characters are still with me. You are drawn into the colonial world with its brutality ,adventure, and romance. Beutifully written , the character development and descriptions are excellent and fully engaging.
Amber

Romantic, historical, atmospheric.... I thoroughly enjoyed this book, although it did lull a bit in the middle, but I advise you to go on. It gets very exciting and has an ending that makes you smile :-)
Christine
Loved this book. It had everything. Romance, history, foreign culture and intrique.
Ally
Ally marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Justine
Justine marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Salve58
Salve58 marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Bootsie
Bootsie marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Sara Moukrime
Sara Moukrime marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Suze
Suze marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Hassan Hammoury
Hassan Hammoury marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2013
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
Nov 09, 2013
Saàd Ixalonder
Saàd Ixalonder marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
Larissa
Larissa marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
Fernanda Isquierdo
Fernanda Isquierdo marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2013
Emma Billington
Emma Billington marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2013