Start by marking “Amazir” as Want to Read:
Amazir

Amazir

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  68 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
An idealistic young Englishman, Harry Summerfield, befriends an American oil explorer in Gibraltar in the 1930s. Their meeting sparks a journey for both men which will take them across Morocco and northern Africa, to encounter the harsh realities of Berber opposition to French colonial rule and the passion of a love for the same young French woman. Full of action, characte ...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Beautiful Books

To ask other readers questions about Amazir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amazir

Terri
This book was a pleasant surprise for me. I don't usually read this sort of fiction, but I was in the mood for a little love story action.
Set in North Africa and Morocco, Amazir is refreshing in its description of this part of the world in the late 30's, where French Colonial rule is fighting for its toehold and Europe is on the cusp of World War 2.
While not a 5 star book, and sometimes not even 4, I found it to be a highly underrated book and it should be more popular on Goodreads.
Sue
Jul 11, 2013 Sue rated it it was amazing
I thought this novel really engaging.

I love these desert stories. So far from the world I live in. But because it's not something I've experienced myself it is vital that the novelist can get that world across to me. And Tom Gamble does this with ease. Excellent writing style, engaging, touching and full of detail. His language brings the characters out of the page and into the reader's brain. You can feel the heat and smell the dust.

I would definitely seek out more books by this author and rea
Barb Hailey
Aug 13, 2013 Barb Hailey rated it liked it
After traveling within Morocco for two weeks and seeing this title displayed on a table in a hotel in Imlil, I knew I had to read it. It takes place during prior to and during World War II when tribal people fought against the Vichy French. I found myself taken back to that time and place. While I've never seen "Casablanca" in its entirety, it did remind me of that particular era, with Morocco filled with people of different cultures, and two different love stories. I really liked the characters ...more
PRINCESS
Aug 25, 2016 PRINCESS rated it really liked it
I was curious to read this book; I read somewhere that the author was a soldier and a businessman! A soldier writing a romance/fiction that is something that must be read.
Amazir – A Novel of Morocco
When they mention Morocco I just imagine that delicious tea with fresh smell of mints.
You will see Morocco through the character’s eyes, the historical accuracy, the French language and Arab culture. It’s written and described in a very good way, accurate details maybe because the author knew Moroc
Amber
Aug 11, 2012 Amber rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites

Romantic, historical, atmospheric.... I thoroughly enjoyed this book, although it did lull a bit in the middle, but I advise you to go on. It gets very exciting and has an ending that makes you smile :-)
Christine
Nov 06, 2011 Christine rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. It had everything. Romance, history, foreign culture and intrique.
Elizabeth Ashworth
Aug 26, 2011 Elizabeth Ashworth rated it it was ok
I had such high hopes of this book. It was shortlisted for the RNA novel of the year award and the opening chapters were interesting. But I'm afraid that boredom soon set in. I struggled on to around page 350 but then gave up, despite a determination to see it through to the end.

The story itself began with promise and had potential, but the plot was slow and became dreary. In the end there was nothing compelling enough to make me want to know what happened next. There were too many 'information
Wildpurl
Oct 11, 2011 Wildpurl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book. The sense of atmosphere and of being in the places described was very intense. I really empathised with Harry and how he felt as a stranger in a strange land, and how he acclimatised and became part of where he was living.

The main characters were well drawn and in keeping with the era they lived in, and I was drawn into their stories and wanted to know what became of them.

The story begins in a time of peace, and describes the idyllic (if stifling) suburban lives of the
Zehwoua
Aug 01, 2015 Zehwoua rated it it was amazing
Amazir is one of the best book I have red recently. I found the beginning of the book quite slow and once you get going you are on the hook.
The only reason I chose to read it because we were going to Morocco for a trip and I wanted to read a book that involves the country. Its not just the details of each characters or scenery, beautiful description of culture and gentle understanding of living other. The book as an whole is spellbounding... Highly recommended
Lisa
Dec 05, 2015 Lisa rated it it was ok
The book looked interesting, but it never seemed to go anywhere. There wasn't much depth to the characters and the plotting is improbable at best.
John Henderson
Jun 10, 2013 John Henderson rated it really liked it
I really loved this book. Although I read it some time ago the scenes and characters are still with me. You are drawn into the colonial world with its brutality ,adventure, and romance. Beutifully written , the character development and descriptions are excellent and fully engaging.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Barbara Hailey
Barbara Hailey rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Carol Pleasance
Carol Pleasance rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Carmen Pereira
Carmen Pereira marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Ilham Sahal
Ilham Sahal marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Jodi Wolk
Jodi Wolk marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Mae East
Mae East rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Jaxon Thomas
Jaxon Thomas is currently reading it
Jan 19, 2016
E
E added it
Jan 11, 2016
Amanda Bartunek
Amanda Bartunek marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
PaddyTaylor
PaddyTaylor rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2016
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
Bel Louth
Bel Louth rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Jose Hulsenbek
Jose Hulsenbek rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2015
Leanna Pohevitz
Leanna Pohevitz marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015