Start by marking “The Best American Crime Reporting 2008” as Want to Read:
The Best American Crime Reporting 2008

The Best American Crime Reporting 2008 (Best American Crime Reporting)

Thieves, liars, killers, and conspirators—it's a criminal world out there, and someone has got to write about it. An eclectic collection of the year's best reportage, The Best American Crime Reporting 2008 brings together the murderers and the masterminds, the mysteries and missteps that make for brilliant stories, told by the aces of the true-crime genre. This latest addi ...more
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published September 9th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Best American Crime Reporting 2008, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best American Crime Reporting 2008

Jaclyn Day
I bought this on the Kindle during a daily deal promotion or something and I’m going to read the other collections as soon as possible. I don’t know how I haven’t gotten my paws on these before (RIGHT IN MY WHEELHOUSE), but the shorter articles included are perfect for fitting in right before I pass out asleep at night. The content is varied and it’s all interesting, but I liked two articles especially. One was about Charles Cullen (the subject of this book I reviewed last year) and the other wa ...more
Patrick
May 29, 2009 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific stuff — some comical, some appalling, all interesting.
Andres
Nov 28, 2009 Andres rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthologies
Like the other anthologies I reviewed (and will review), I find the subject matter very interesting and will highlight the stories that stood out the most to me. One thing I really like about this series (at least with those I've read so far) is the coda added to the end of each piece, which updates or augments the original story. This 2008 edition collects 15 articles from 10 different publications. The stories I liked were:

The House Across the Way by Calvin Trillin
What happens when an undesira
Ryan
Dec 05, 2010 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this for the Malcolm Gladwell article but enjoyed the others I read. One, set in Baltimore, (interesting because I very much enjoyed the books by David Simon - Homicide was best, but the Corner was good too - and The Wire was a very good show set in Baltimore), discussed the idea of public reluctance to 'snitch' and become a target for more violence. It was followed up by an article that reveals one of the very reasons folks ARE reluctant - women, duped by a con artist, were humiliated pub ...more
Caitlin
Dec 07, 2014 Caitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot. It was a new choice for me because I usually don't read true crime/crime reporting books. I liked that this was a collection so they were essentially short stories which kept me interested. I also found myself reading some of the reports and thinking "wow, this actually happened!" because some reports were just so unbelievable. I also liked that the reports ranged from serial killers to robbery to other crimes.

I will definitely try and find some more of these collections
David
Apr 02, 2009 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
The guest editor changes from year to year, but the book stays pretty much the same: Consistently entertaining nonfiction crime essays from The New Yorker (always), plus nods to the likes of The Atlantic Monthly and Esquire, but also to more obscure publications--this time, The Cleveland Free Times and OC Weekly make the cut--just to keep things a little bit honest. Most years, I find that once particular essay makes the book worth its price of admission. This time, it's Malcolm Gladwell's "Dang ...more
 Doris Powell
I read this book because Jonathan Kellerman had an introduction. I am a huge fan of his. For the most part I enjoyed the true stories as reported in American magazines. The most horrifying one was about the convict who had spent over 20 years in maximum prisons in isolation. I cannot imagine anyone still being sane after that. He was still of his right mind. Then there is the story as told in ESQUIRE about the mercenary who made up most or all of his escapades. At the end of the story the author ...more
Kate
Feb 21, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's some real gems in here.

Among the standouts -- "The Story of a Snitch;" "The House Across the Way," a piece by Calvin Trillin about a really, really bad neighbor; "The Caged Life," about "supermax" prisons; and "Dangerous Minds," a great article by Malcolm Gladwell about how FBI criminal profiles are often incorrect.

But my absolute favorite was "I'm with the Steelers," about a man in Pittsburgh who impersonated several Steelers football players to get women to date him and loan him mone
David
Jan 05, 2010 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
An interesting, though mixed bag. Many of the stories focus on ambiguities and complex personalities, rather than police procedures or whodunits. Stand out stories include Malcolm Gladwell's debunking of serial-killer profiling, Charles Graeber's report on a serial-killer's attempt to donate a kidney, and Mark Bowden's account of the interrogation that led to the US assassination of terrorist suspect Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. Overall, a very strong, thought-provoking collection.
Michelle
Sep 28, 2016 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked th emix of articles. My favorites were the con men like in Justin Heckert's "I'm with the Steelers" and Tom Junod's "Mercenary." I also enjoyed Malcolm Gladwell's look at criminal profiling and how faulty it is.The true crime stories are also good. The last story "Murder at 19,000 Feet" by Jonathan Green was a gut punch about politics and mountain climbers in Tibet.
Harvey
Jun 24, 2013 Harvey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
- an eclectic collection of the year's best true crime reportage; snitches, super-maximum prisons, bad neighbours, improbable imposters, criminal organ donars, and the usual assortment of murderers; originally published in The New Yorker, Men's Journal, Esquire, The Atlantic Monthly, etc
- I enjoy this series
Kurt
Aug 23, 2009 Kurt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is there anybody out there who loves these anthologies as much as I do? The collections from the past few years are thick with excellent, compelling, bizarre, true crime stories. The reportage is phenomenal, and the "strange-but-true" angle knocks the crap outta most crime-fiction plots I read. Yep. Real life is bizarre.
Rachel Jones
Mar 20, 2009 Rachel Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little disappointed to discover that I had read a lot of these stories already. But there were several I hadn't; my favorite being the one about the pathological liar who is head of security at a nuclear plant.
Stacy Lewis
Jan 11, 2009 Stacy Lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite "Best American.." series. Covers a wide range of topics (serial killer, maximum security prisons, Border Patrol, imposters,terrorism). Year in, year out, always great reading.
Jill Mader
Apr 09, 2010 Jill Mader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of crime reporting is not what you'd think - some of the stories are humorous rather than despicable. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys non-fiction.
Margaret Sankey
Just keeping up with the periodicals I don't have time (or subscriptions) to read throughout the year.
Katharine Watt
These come out each year, with different editors. (Crime Writing through 2006) If you love true crime stories well-written, you'll enjoy these. (Guilty pleasures for me.)
Abraham Hyatt
Mar 07, 2010 Abraham Hyatt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-war
Mostly pretty meh, except for Charles Graeber's The Tainted Kidney from New York magazine, which is amazing.
Jim Holscher
Feb 12, 2014 Jim Holscher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very easy and good read. The stories were diverse and engaging. Can't wait to read the next in the series.
Joe  Noir
All the volumes in this series are good. Non-fiction crime from a variety of sources, and covering a multitude of sins.
Jessalyn Stys
Jessalyn Stys rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2014
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Donna Penick
Donna Penick rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Ak-75 Harris
Ak-75 Harris rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2011
Kris
Kris rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2014
Sandra Parshall
Sandra Parshall rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2012
Harlow
Harlow rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2014
Logan
Logan rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Marguerite
Marguerite rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Best American Crime Reporting 2010
  • The Best American Crime Reporting 2009
  • The Best American Crime Reporting 2007
  • The Best American Crime Writing 2005 (Best American Crime Reporting)
  • The Best American Crime Writing: 2003 Edition: The Year's Best True Crime Reporting
  • The Best American Crime Writing 2006
  • Killings
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Killing the Dream: James Earl Ray and the Assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • Whitey's Payback and Other True Stories of Gangsterism, Murder, Corruption and Revenge
  • Queens Reigns Supreme: Fat Cat, 50 Cent, and the Rise of the Hip Hop Hustler
  • A Checklist for Murder
  • If Looks Could Kill
  • Homicide Special: A Year with the LAPD's Elite Detective Unit
  • String Theory: David Foster Wallace on Tennis
  • Alphaville 1988: Crime, Punishment and the Battle for New York City's Lower East Side
  • The Bluegrass Conspiracy
  • The Cornbread Mafia: A Homegrown Syndicate's Code of Silence and the Biggest Marijuana Bust in American History
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t
More about Jonathan Kellerman...

Best American Crime Reporting (4 books)
  • The Best American Crime Reporting 2007