Blank-133x176
Arlequin

Morris L. West

Arlequin (Los Jet de Plaza & Janés)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Head of a prestigious European bank, George Harlequin belongs to a vanishing class of gentlemen whose handshake is their bond. But when an envious corporate raider frames Harlequin for murder, no deed is too dirty if it will save Harlequin's reputation, his bank and his life.

"In a tiny group of best-selling novelists, Morris West qualifies as the brains of the organization

288 pages
Published September 1981 by Plaza & Janes (first published January 1st 1978)

Nezzo
Отваряш книгата и очакваш тя да е като всяка друга. Четеш 3837 началните страници, издание, заглавие, посвещения, няколко празни страници и после се започва. Каквото и да си очаквал обаче от тази книга то не е там, просто не се появява. Четеш до последната 300 и някоя страница с надеждата този път да се случи каквото на теб ти се иска, но не и в тази книга.

“Арлекин” е история за нещата, които се случват в реалността, грозни, отвратителни, омразни. Всичко започва с кражба, една голяма сума е от...more
Emmie
Don't be fooled by the obvious detective-story-atmosphere of this book. It's so much more. Sure it's a quest to expose a killer, but it's also about morale and life-changing choices. It's about a man wrestling with his conscience. It's about life in a world of today. A person's life is fragile and our own is so very dear to us. How far would you go to save your good image? How far would you go to fulfill your dream? And most importantly, how far would you go to save your life? Lies, deceptions,...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in September 1999.

Harlequin et Cie is a family owned bank in early seventies Geneva. They are suddenly hit, simultaneously, by a security audit from computer consultant Creative Systems pointing to embezzlement by chairman George Harlequin, and a hostile take-over bid by Creative Systems' owner, Boris Yanko.

The novel is told from the point of view of Paul Desmond, close friend of George and one of the directors of the bank. He suspects that Yanko has taken ad...more
Marine
Agak susah dimengerti karena memuat dan berkaitan dengan banyak istilah sistem ekonomi dan tatanan bisnis. Penuturan cerita sangat bagus. Ekspresi penokohan tokoh utama dan gejolak batin yang ditujukan untuk Harlequin, temannya, terpancar jelas dan justru menjadi tokoh paling aktif dalam penentuan nasib Harlequin et Cie. Tanpa flashback, tetapi sukses menyuguhkan hubungan baik ketiga tokoh utama.
Rhys
This was a re-read. I am a big fan of Morris West, but had forgotten the story in this work. After 25 or 30 years I am reading this masterful word-crafter and story weaver, and I find myself amazed at the prophetic framing of our world today. The descriptions of the world financial realm, the government deceptions and double-dealings, the enrichment of the few, the collateral suffering so acceptable by all... Morris West is one of the greats at using the English language as it should be used; to...more
Logan
I'm surprised I actually finished this book. It was incredibly dull. But every 20 pages or so, the author would use a completely random metaphor or simile that really amused me. He threw in just enough odd similes to keep me interested until the characters went to Mexico City, which was then enough to keep me interested (because I lived there for a couple years) until I was too far into the book to just quit reading. But I repeat, this book is boring.
Jeanie
Another book by Morris West, whose "Devil's Advocate" received raves, this book reads more like the popular writer I expected him to be. Dealing with technology espionage and rather whimsical main characters, it has the feel of a "spy novel". Yet, in addition to being a "good read", it does contain some characterizations comparable to what West achieved in Devil's Advocate and again mingles questions of religion, class and politics amidst the action.
Sampath
Nice Read. The brilliant construct of this book is the fact that there are no surprises on who the villain is from the start of the book. Yet Morris West manages to keep you guessing through a series of incidents that are unexpected. It is about the triumph of morality and friendship in a twisted world.
Pravin
A pretty entertaining book,it's probably like another Le Carré or Graham Greene(never read anything about these two authors,only watched the films) novel i guess but i enjoyed it anyway.
Anne Hawn Smith
This is another Morris West that I'd like to read again. West poses some difficult moral dilemmas and doesn't let the reader opt for an easy answer.
Taha rabbani
این رو هم خونده‌ام. به فارسی ترجمه شده. انتشارات و مترجم و این‌هاش رو یادم نیست
Shefali
Harlequin by Morris West (1975)
Sandy
Excellent twist!
Sue Haldeman
Sue Haldeman marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Nicolas
Nicolas marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Herman Wang
Herman Wang marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Joy
Joy added it
Apr 30, 2014
Lesley
Lesley added it
Apr 23, 2014
Morris Langlo West was an Australian novelist and playwright, best known for his novels The Devil's Advocate (1959), The Shoes of the Fisherman (1963), and The Clowns of God (1981).
His works often were focused on international politics and the role of the Roman Catholic Church in international affairs. One of his most famous works, The Shoes of the Fisherman (1963), envisioned the election and ca...more
More about Morris L. West...
The Shoes of the Fisherman The Devil's Advocate The Clowns of God Lazarus The Navigator