Start by marking “Cabinet of Natural Curiosities: The Complete Plates in Colour, 1734-1763” as Want to Read:
Cabinet of Natural Curiosities: The Complete Plates in Colour, 1734-1763

Cabinet of Natural Curiosities: The Complete Plates in Colour, 1734-1763

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,419 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Albertus Seba's curious creatures: a most unusual collection of natural specimens Albertus Seba's Cabinet of Natural Curiosities is one of the 18th century's greatest natural history achievements and remains one of the most prized natural history books of all time.Though it was common for men of his profession to collect natural specimens for research purposes, Amsterdamba ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Taschen (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Cabinet of Natural Curiosities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cabinet of Natural Curiosities

Douglas Dalrymple
So many of the pathologies of contemporary life come in through the eyes. It’s only a matter of time before the vile sickness of “screen-gaze” gets a more scientific-sounding name. This gorgeous, almost wordless book is the cure.
Torgo
Dec 27, 2014 Torgo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A year ago I picked up a copy of The Codex Seraphinianus, and I can conclusively say that it's the most treasured book I own, possibly the most significant OBJECT that I own. This review isn't about that book, so I won't discuss it further, apart from mentioning that that book changed my life.

I have since been searching for something similar and I stumbled across this item. It's not similar, in fact it's nothing like The Codex. But it's a wonderful book. I have the gigantic heavy hardcover editi
Julie
Mar 30, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing
Ok no real reading involved. But this is my favorite coffee table book. Bought for me by my husband for a screaming deal at a San Diego library book sale. One could spend hours pouring over the colour plates of all creatures on earth. If you find a copy, don't hesitate to open it.
Powells.com
Dec 08, 2008 Powells.com rated it it was amazing
Taschen has always published heavy, lush art books, but they've outdone themselves with Cabinet of Natural Curiosities (weighing in at thirteen pounds). Albertus Seba, a pharmacist in eighteenth-century Amsterdam, collected beautiful and strange animals, plants, and insects. After years of collecting, he commissioned illustrators for each specimen. This book is a reproduction of the eighteenth-century four-volume set. These amazing illustrations are works of art, but beware — small children migh ...more
Jayme
Jun 02, 2011 Jayme rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of those rare completely awesome and completely random finds at a really cool bookstore (Lucky Comics). This is reproduction of Albertus Seba's specimen drawings. It weighs about 15 pounds and is written in French, English and German, just in case I'm feeling particularly trilingual on any given day. There's no words for how kick ass the illustrations are. This will sit loud and proud on my coffee table for infinite perusing.
dthaase
May 13, 2011 dthaase rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
This book is nothing less than something at which one marvels. I happened across it in the oversized section of my library and every thing about it is huge: it's vision, it's scope, and it's actual size (which weighs in at 11.9 pounds).

Here's the product description off of Amazon:
David Lynn
Oct 22, 2007 David Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone with eyeballs
Creative, Inventive, amazing Albertus Seba will have you thinking that every Dutch person coming out of the 18th century was brillian...
Hands down one of the most amazing things I have in my library, life.
Its spendy but if you have a library near you that has this or are fortunate enough to live near the strand i can say how quickly you should go and take a look at this.

i could go on and on but if you want to read what Taschen (one of the better companies out there who produced this book and did
Tor.com
First you've got to ask yourself: do I like oversized books? Whether you put them on a coffee table or on a customized shelf for enormous tomes, if you like big grimoires, then this is an essential, as far as I'm concerned. Makes a nice prop for a wizard's spellbook, in a pinch, too. -MK
Cecelia
Jun 21, 2008 Cecelia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I work at Barnes & Noble, and was walking through the bargain section when I saw this book. I'm astonished that so many people have paid close to $200 for this! I paid around twenty, with my discount. It was only $25.00 originally. I think it may be a slightly different version, meant for B&N only, but the content is exactly the same. The only thing I've noticed to be different is the picture on the cover. There are two coral as opposed to one.

Anyway, I was drawn to it because the artwor
Wolf
Jul 15, 2015 Wolf rated it it was amazing
a fabulous go to for someone like me as an artist. i gain inspiration from this book all the time. it isn't a book to read. it is a book to find a dream and a memory and become thrilled.
Sarah Crampton
Mar 26, 2010 Sarah Crampton rated it liked it
Shelves: pictorials
This is a great addition for a collector of hefty coffee table books or anybody fascinated by the Victorians' scientific proclivity to categorize, rank and classify just about everything in the natural world. The book boasts excellent illustrations, not to mention a stature large and heavy enough for braining home intruders. You can't lose.
melissa seley
dying to own a copy of this coffeetable beauty, than an a bunch of audobon society guides - to birds, trees, shells, mammals, sea creatures on and on till there are none left. been putting them on xmas lists since i was six. somehow, no one else gets how great it would be to unwrap one. sigh.
Dustincecil
Oct 16, 2015 Dustincecil rated it it was amazing
a beautiful book in everyway!
Renée
Aug 28, 2008 Renée rated it it was amazing
Ok so I don't actually own this monsterous marvel....yet! (hint, hint) ...However I think I've pretty much looked at every page while passing through various shops and bookstores since I discovered it. So beautiful and inspiring, it should be free!
Sep 22, 2007 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best gifts I've ever received; Each page of this book is exquisite. The perfect accompaniment to a lazy weekend day.
Bonnie Jeanne
Jan 25, 2009 Bonnie Jeanne marked it as to-read
Shelves: collecting
Cabinet of Natural Curiosities: The Complete Plates in Colour, 1734-1765 by Irmgard Musch (2005)
else fine
Jan 07, 2011 else fine is currently reading it
I just hauled this beautiful thing home with me. I love being a bookseller
Lindsay
Nov 12, 2007 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Illustrations! I love old illustrations like the ones in this book.
rebecca
Apr 16, 2015 rebecca rated it it was amazing
not so much "read" as "ooohed and ahhhhed and petted the pages"
Arian
Dec 05, 2007 Arian rated it it was amazing
Some of the most amazing natural history illustrations in this book.
Philip
Jan 06, 2008 Philip rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-and-prints
The kind of artifact they'll need to pry from my cold dead hands.
PMP
Dec 25, 2007 PMP rated it it was amazing
Favourtie plate: Fictive metamorphosis of American frogs into fish.
Photo Jenny
Apr 30, 2008 Photo Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beeyooteeful! My tattoo is from this book.
Jean
Oct 04, 2011 Jean rated it it was amazing
Absolutely gorgeous. Stirs the imagination.
Ken-ichi
Mar 27, 2009 Ken-ichi marked it as on-hold  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: learning, snoot
Found a slightly coffee-stained copy for $18!
Steve
Oct 26, 2007 Steve rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science, art
This thing will make your ass catch on fire.
Matt Keefe
Oct 06, 2012 Matt Keefe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Beautiful, strange, and ancient.
L a n c e
Jul 07, 2007 L a n c e rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, collections
the only coffee table book you want.
Amca
Aug 15, 2015 Amca rated it it was amazing
this is the bible I needed.
Tiffa

• A Natural History of the Sonoran Desert
  • Botany for the Artist: An Inspirational Guide to Drawing Plants
  • Une Semaine de Bonté
  • Dry Store Room No. 1: The Secret Life Of The Natural History Museum
Albertus Seba (May 12, 1665, Etzel near Friedeburg - May 2, 1736, Amsterdam) was a Dutch pharmacist, zoologist and collector.

Born in East-Frisia, Seba moved to Amsterdam as an apprentice and opened around 1700 a pharmacy near the harbour. Seba asked sailors and ship surgeons to bring exotic plants and animal products he could use for preparing drugs. Seba also started to collect snakes, birds, ins
More about Albertus Seba...