The Nuclear Jihadist: The True Story of the Man Who Sold the World's Most Dangerous Secrets...And How We Could Have Stopped Him

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The world has entered a second nuclear age. For the first time since the end of the Cold War, the threat of nuclear annihilation is on the rise. Should such an assault occur, there is a strong likelihood that the trail of devastation will lead back to Abdul Qadeer Khan, the Pakistani father of the Islamic bomb and the mastermind behind a vast clandestine enterprise that ha...more
Published December 3rd 2007 by Twelve (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Nuclear Jihadist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nuclear Jihadist

Ian
This is a great book for someone looking for an interesting read that still teaches you something about global nuclear non-proliferation efforts. There is a good description of how nuclear weapons are made and how that technology is developed (although intermediate level detail is left out, which is probably not what most people picking up this book are interested in anyway). Key historical events are identified that led to dangerous distribution of nuclear technologies give the book a nice hist...more
Mr.
Good book with a troubling storyline. The authors let their bias come in late, and actually undermined the book somewhat with some rather poorly executed logic (i.e. the IAEA, which they show to be completely inept throughout the book is, in their opinion the only hope to counter nuclear proliferation)

Other than that, it was a well researched and fascinating look at the how secrets are stolen and shared in this dangerous field.
Jeffrey Otto
Quests and Ambitions: Non-Proliferation Gone Wrong

"When you get down to fundamentals-things like nuclear weapons-you must treat your friends and enemies the same. Only then can you have a nonproliferation policy." -Leonard Weiss

It's difficult to know who is most responsible for the world's first so-called ‘Islamic’ bomb. Being that the warheads actually reside in Pakistan, the Pakistani’s might be the obvious choice, but as Doug Frantz and Catherine Collins, authors of The Nuclear Jihadist, make...more
Shea
An incredibly pertinent look into horizontal nuclear proliferation and the amount of damage that just one renegade nuclear scientist can cause. Frantz and Collins offer an in-depth look at how Pakistani nuclear scientist A.Q. Khan (often referred to as the "Father of the Islamic Bomb") managed to spread nuclear technology to Libya, North Korea, and Iran. As they point out, these are the three countries that we actually know about, and after taking into account the extremely secret nature of Paki...more
Jock Mcclees
If you want to be incredibly frustrated, read this book. Not because the book is bad but because we could be living in a much safer world with almost no nuclear proliferation if it hadn't been for vast amounts of greed and questionable political decisions in the US and Europe. Great explanation of how we got to where we are today regarding nuclear proliferation.
Tin Wee
A frightening account of how the nuclear weapon was let loose on the world by a mix of patriotism/ greed/ incompetence/ realpolitik/ hypocrisy - of the main protaganist, his network around the world, the intelligence and enforcement agencies, and the international state actors. The consequences are far reaching and we have still yet to see the inevitable conclusion. Chilling.
Jake
Great book. If you know anything about current world politics, the end won't be a shocker really, but it's incredibly suspenseful. It reads like a real life James Bond novel, except the villains win at the end. Some of the more technical aspects get a little laborious to read, but these are not very long. Highly recommended.
Sriram Chari
Interesting insight into nuclear proliferation and A Q Khan's role. One wonders the unintended consequences that started this whole journey. What would have happened if only India did not go nuclear, Khan did not have grudge against India, US did not initiate the atoms for peace program etc etc....
Andrea
Not for the weak of heart. It spells out very clearly the facts surrounding just who, what, where and why every country that should NOT have nuclear capability HAS in fact the ability to blow up the world. This was a very eye opening book that will stay with me forever.
Justin Brown
Good and comprehensive book on A.Q. Khan's nuclear proliferation. Critical of US policy towards Pakistan, of Pakistan itself, and, of course, paints Khan in an unflattering light.

Reads like a detective novel from time to time.
Mike
This book is an insite to the horse trading that our government does with our security. It also points out how easily government secrets can be aquired by anyone with the will and money to build a nuclear wepon can get it done.
Diane
This book tells the story of A.Q. Khan, his proliferation network, and Western attempts to stop him. The book is well-written and interesting, and I have found it to be the most interesting book on the subject to date.
Lauren
Yeah, turns out I already read this. Thought maybe. It apparently made an impact in that I didn't remember the book, but I remembered every detail of what it recapped.
Anant Singh
A Q Khan and the pakistan nuclear programmer and how they helped the iran jordan north korea to get the nuclear knowledge ...
Nice piece of collection
Natasha
well-researched and completely scary. excellent investigative reporting. Highly recommended, but warning: this is an intense, political read.
Proud2b4family
Jun 09, 2009 Proud2b4family is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
We are in deeeeeeeep doo doo.
Wim
Wim added it
Aug 10, 2014
Soxnpats
Soxnpats marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Sevket Demir
Sevket Demir marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Alizaheer Ali
Alizaheer Ali marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Patrick Belair
Patrick Belair marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
JenWinEd
JenWinEd marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Celebration, U.S.A.: Living in Disney's Brave New Town The Man from Pakistan: The True Story of the World's Most Dangerous Nuclear Smuggler Death on the Black Sea: The Untold Story of the 'Struma' and World War II's Holocaust at Sea Levine & Co.: Wall Street's Insider Trading Scandal From the Ground Up: The Business of Building in the Age of Money