Start by marking “The Selection (The Selection, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Selection (The Selection, #1)

The Selection (The Selection #1)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  277,620 ratings  ·  23,543 reviews
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with
Published April 24th 2012 by HarperTeen (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Selection, please sign up.

Brittany You're "like 100% sure", yeah? But you, um, haven't actually read the book yet? That doesn't make much sense. Maybe the rating is high because people…moreYou're "like 100% sure", yeah? But you, um, haven't actually read the book yet? That doesn't make much sense. Maybe the rating is high because people actually like the book. Just because the visible reviews are all terrible, that doesn't mean that everyone thinks the same. In fact, the ratings prove the opposite. As for your 1 star-prediction, it'd be easy to accept that if you had read the book. 1 star because it sucked. Or maybe 5 stars if it was great. You don't know until you read it, so its really narrow minded of you to state that opinion without having any knowledge of what the book, or author, are actually like.(less)
Molly HOLY CRAP GO READ THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW. THIS BOOK IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! I <3 MAXON. THIS BOOK WILL MAKE YOU REALIZE WHY YOU LOVE BOOKS. GOOOOO…moreHOLY CRAP GO READ THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW. THIS BOOK IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! I <3 MAXON. THIS BOOK WILL MAKE YOU REALIZE WHY YOU LOVE BOOKS. GOOOOO READ! Seriously. I am in the 8th grade and I love this book so much. I can't wait for the new book to come out. I chose this book at the book fair because I got a book free. I wasn't expecting to like it even in the slightest because of what it was about, (Kings, Queens, Princes, etc.) I figured it would be another dreamy love story. But it wasn't. It is amazing, and I don't want to give anything away. So go read! <3(less)
Cinder by Marissa MeyerThe Selection by Kiera CassUnder the Never Sky by Veronica RossiEverneath by Brodi AshtonIncarnate by Jodi Meadows
2012 Debut Authors (Young Adult & Middle Grade)
2nd out of 990 books — 6,157 voters
YA Novels of 2012
13th out of 1,316 books — 10,510 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
I know, I know, I probably shouldn't have read this. But when a series gets to be this popular, I can't help needing to know why. I have friends who LOVED this and friends who HATED it, so I had to see for myself.

Firstly, the names. Okay, I’d already made peace with America Singer before going into this book. I knew that was her name, I knew it was silly, but whatever, it does not maketh or breaketh a book. But I didn’t know that America Singer was - wait, it’s too good - a singer. Honestly, why
Kiki
This book is like those little sachets of Nutella you get as free samples with like a magazine or a packet of Ritz or something, in that it's empty calories lite but seriously delicious. It's really small and really bad for you and not really that satisfying but shit if you don't enjoy it. Because, no matter how superior you think your tastes are, you will enjoy this. Even just on a voyeuristic level. You just have to forget all of the stuff you know. Like, all of it. Forget what you learned in ...more
Victoria
I almost never write reviews, but I had to write one to try to persuade people to read this book. Really, it has to be read to be believed. This is actually the worst book I've ever had the pleasure to encounter in my life, and I think it's only fair that everyone else get to enjoy it, too. It's the best ten bucks and three hours of my life I've ever spent.

I'm not being sarcastic. The entertainment value of this novel is high. Especially if you can reenact scenes out loud with your boyfriend, w
Wendy Darling
Reaction before reading this book: I know I may be a sucker for falling for this cover, but look at it! I totally want to go to that party.

Reaction after reading this book: I no longer want to go to this party.

Full disclosure: I did not read this entire book. I took notes for the first 88 pages, read to page 168, and then skimmed the rest. I think reading more than half the book qualifies as giving it a fair shot.

The Selection arrives with a gorgeous cover and interesting premise. What if a lott
Hannah
Apr 27, 2014 Hannah rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People looking for fluff with no substance.
 MILD SPOILERS!

I am not surprised by how this novel turned out. Really, I'm not. But alas, I thought I'd try it anyways.

*Ehem, I would like to say that the events that unfolded before the books release did have a small effect on my mindset while reading, unfortunately. It did affect my rating, to be completely honest.*

I didn't have any fuzzy feelings before I dived into this book but after much controversy I thought I'd give it chance. I'll start off with the characters:

America

My first reaction
Mariya
"I'm not so stupid as to believe that you've completely forgotten about your former boyfriend. I know you think there are others here more suited for me and this life, and I wouldn't want you to rush into trying to be happy with any of this. I just...I just want to know if it's possible..."

THE SELECTION was one of the best books I have ever read! I don't think I quite expected that once I flipped the first page that I couldn't stop! But guess what it happened! I am constantly thinking about
Lea

[**NOTE: This review was not affected by online drama or controversy. Everything I have to say here is based on my own personal opinion about the book itself, even though I definitely think Cass needs a new publicist.]

[**NOTE #2: All the captions in the non-animated picture memes were made by me-- because, you know, I'm just THAT brilliantly witty. So please don't use them without asking my permission first. Thanks :)]

35 GIRLS. 1 CROWN. THE COMPETITION OF A LIFETIME.

Now with a story premise
The Holy Terror
If you can get past the "I'm smelling my armpit" cover, and also the silly names, and the horribly unoriginal storyline, and the terrible writing ... wait, really, you can get past all of that? What does that leave you then? A nice ... font?

Seriously, though, read reviews for this one. They're not favorable for a reason.
Emily
*An ARC was provided by HarperTeen in exchange for an honest review*

I don't usually go for books like this one, with the whole princess competition thing going on (actually I've never even started one because they don't look good), but let me tell you, this book is amazing.

I loved it. That's all I can say. It went right into the story, and I was hooked from page one. I just couldn't stop reading. The plot was AMAZING!! I loved how Kiera Cass manipulated the characters (Aspen) to make America sig
Gabrielle Carolina
Did not finish; stopped at page 208.

I could not get behind America who is suffering from an affliction called TSTL syndrome (too stupid to live.) Her choices seem robotic and awkward, her dialogue and self-deprication feel desperate and forced. None of the other characters rise to the occasion of acting realistically, either.

Besides that, and a serious lack of world building, The Selection is to The Hunger Games as Carrier of the Mark is to Twilight. That is to say an apparent knock-off. Gavril
Steph Sinclair
I read this book for one reason: To find out why it's a New York Times Best-selling series. After drinking several beers and banging my head against the wall after reading The Selection, I can kinda see why. And to be fair, it's probably not the absolute worst book I've read. (I mean, there's still that time I read Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini...) Still, it is by no means something that I'd recommend.

I know it might seem like I detested The Selection based on my status updates, but to be pe
Jamie
To start off, I will say that I liked this book more that I thought I would. I was originally looking for a book for a reading challenge (needed blue covers) and just happened to see this at the library and figured it didn't look too bad and that I would just read it since nothing else was working.
I will admit, the concepts are not very original. The ideas that is is in between The Bachelor and Hunger Games (in the dystopia sense)is fairly accurate, with heavily leanings on The Bachelor. The lov
Lauren Suero
Here's how this book should be marketed: Dystopian world meets 'The Bachelor'.....sort of.

NOT THE HUNGER GAMES. There's no fight to the death here.. just a bunch of young women vying for the heart of one very handsome prince.

Personally, I've been excited to read this book from day one of it's announcement. Say what you will about the cover, but holy heck is it gorgeous. If I wasn't so damn short, I'd totally rock that dress. The chance to become a princess? BESTILL MY 5 YEAR OLD HEART!

I loved th
Bookphilia
Dec 21, 2012 Bookphilia rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Non-feminists, people with little dignity.
Recommended to Bookphilia by: Goodreads failed me again.
NOTE: I want to remind readers that it is important to give all books a fair chance despite negative reviews and controversy (see linked article)/the author or the author's agent being a dumbass. And that is what I did.

Sentence: I sentence Kiera Cass to a season of The Bachelor in which everyone is selected to be dropped off on a deserted island and are made to fight to the death (to be the lone survivor). But then, as a prize, the survivor has to marry some asshole she may or may not like.

Revie
Sophie
Edit:
I have only one question, and that question is:
WHY IS THE OVERALL RATING FOR THIS BOOK SO HIGH??

Last time I checked it was in the 3's. Something fishy is going on here...

This review also appears on The Dreaming Reader.

May I present to everyone The Hunger Games...Girlified!
Disclaimer: Despite the fact that I am drawing comparisons between the two, there is no way that this sad little novel (if it can even be called that) will ever match up to The Hunger Games.

Similarity #1: A "cutthroat"
Kate ❣
The Selection by Kiera Cass

Ahhh, I loved this book sooo much, and I completely see the hype!!

Although most of this book was quiet predictable, that didn't even matter because all the other amazing qualities of this book outshone that!
Kiera Cass seems like such a cute and lovely person, so I'm so happy I loved her book!
I cannot wait to continue on with this series, I'm totally Team Maxon people!! Hahaha,
I loved the setting, characters, plot, romance, just awesome!

Side note: THANK YOU 'THE SELEC
Courtney
May 26, 2012 Courtney rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Courtney by: VOYA
Little to no plot. If readers are addicted to watching THE BACHELOR, then they may be able to drudge through this one. The only thing "dystopian" about it is the caste system. There are so many other great dystopian novels out there that readers should pass on this one.

For full review, please visit:

(scroll down)
Vanessa
The Selection (The Selection #1) by Kiera Cass Apparently every little girl dreams of being a princess. The idea being that Prince Charming comes from a little country you’ve never heard of and woos you with his eloquent parlance, snappy dress sense, and amiable personality. He might also be cursed and looking for the kiss of true love.

Still, cursed or not, Prince Charming archetypes have existed for as long as fairytales and Disney movies have perpetuated. It also seems that a lot of girls don’
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Oooooohhhhhh, why did this have to be so vapid?!

*Sigh*

Let's get one thing straight; dystopian novels are one of my guilty pleasures. This one's premise seemed slightly intriguing, even if the idea of a futuristic version of The Bachelor (with a royal twist) made me cringe a little (because I effing hate The Bachelor). Sadly, however, where premise and good intentions fail, mediocrity prevails. This entire book is just silly. Shallow and completely meaningless....and nothing really happened. I g
Jillian -always aspiring-
The Blurb: Kiera Cass's trilogy beginning with THE SELECTION, a dystopian romance pitched as "The Hunger Games" meets "The Bachelor," following 17-year-old America Singer, one of the eligible young women selected to compete to become the next queen, who finds herself falling in love despite only wanting to break her family out of the lower castes and leaving her boyfriend at home.

My Expression After Reading the Blurb: O_o

Thoughts Accompanying My Dubious Expression: Uh. . .you expect me to take
Maureen
This may be more of a 3.5, but I'll keep it at a 4 for now. I was not expecting to like this book as much as I did (though everyone told me how addicting it was). It's definitely a book that is hard to put down. It's not necessarily the best writing (though I LOVED the world and world building) and I pretty much want to punch every character in the face all the time (and I'm assuming I will want to do that more throughout the next two books) but I still really enjoyed myself. Sometimes you just ...more
Kat Kennedy
Jan 14, 2012 Kat Kennedy marked it as do-not-read
Reason in comments.
Luu
RECENZIA NA BLOGU

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. Čiže Nevesta pre milionára meets Hunger Games. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon. A celý národ bude na svojich obrazovkách sledovať, ako sa princ zamiluje - a to je reálna to parafráza na citát z knihy.

But for America Singer, ktorá miluje s
Juliana Zapata
Encantada, fascinada y enamorada de esta historia. Tanto la ambientación como el protagonista desprenden glamour, educación y caballerosidad.

La Selección es un cuento de hadas dentro de una distopía. Me arrebató muchísimo suspiros! Espero leer pronto la continuación de la historia.
#TeamMaxon

Reseña Completa: http://bastvilard.blogspot.com/2015/0...
Vi Vi
Ha, my review got deleted to I guess. No matter.

BTW the book sounds awful and I won't be reading it regardless.
Amanda
This book made me mad.

First of all. I hate false advertising. Whoever pitched this up as The Hunger Games meets The Bachelor needs to be fired and sued. How is this anything like The Hunger Games? I mean, asides from the lottery to choose "random" participants? And I use that term loosely, because as it turns out, it wasn't so random here.
I know dystopia was THE SHIZ roundabouts the time this book was published, but why on EARTH would the publishers push this as a dystopian novel? THIS WAS NOT
Megan (Book Brats)
Review goes live on Book Brats on April 23rd. Visit http://book-brats.com for more details and reviews!

I had plenty of initial reservations about reading THE SELECTION, I admit that – certain online fiascos and a plot that I felt somewhat iffy about. But I decided that the other part of me, the part that wondered if this book might possibly charming and a take on reality dating shows that YA has yet to show, was too hard to resist. So I requested this book on Edelweiss and loaded it up onto my K
Reynje
**Note: Contains some spoilers**

I read this entire Bachelor-themed dystomance and there wasn’t even a lousy rose-ceremony. Ripped off. [Insert cranky face here.]

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a princedom, must be in want of a nationally televised reality program in which he dates multiple women in a quest to select a suitable wife and future queen. (It is also true that that is one of the most abused sentences in English literature, but whatever whatev
Howdy YAL
Really deserves zero stars.

See Full Review Here: http://yalbookbriefs.blogspot.com/201...

Two words: drama llama. Well, that and while I love the cover the MC looks like she's smelling her armpits. What's up with that?

Update: I think my friends hate me, I was complaining about this book earlier at lunch today and one just came in and gave me it as a gift so I wouldn't want to read fiction during finals. Think this might do the trick.

Review:

It was a struggle for me to finish this book. I didn't l
Wendy Higgins
On and On About B...: The Selection 1 1 19 hours, 42 min ago
We love books: The Selection Discussion 1 1 Aug 03, 2015 05:01AM
So You Say You Li...: The Selection 27 21 Aug 02, 2015 05:29AM
Online Book Club Idea 12 51 Aug 01, 2015 04:58PM
Bibliophile Beauties: * Group Series Read - JULY 1ST - The Selection 18 15 Aug 01, 2015 02:13PM
  • Fever (The Chemical Garden, #2)
  • Destroy Me (Shatter Me, #1.5)
  • Of Poseidon (The Syrena Legacy, #1)
  • Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2)
  • Tiger's Destiny (The Tiger Saga, #4)
  • Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1)
  • Pure (Covenant, #2)
  • The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test, #3)
  • Truth (XVI, #2)
  • Middle Ground (Awaken, #2)
  • Boundless (Unearthly, #3)
  • Surrender (Possession, #2)
  • The Raie'Chaelia
  • The Springsweet (The Vespertine, #2)
  • Allegiance (Legacy, #2)
  • The Treachery of Beautiful Things
  • Tempest (Tempest, #1)
  • The Pledge (The Pledge, #1)
100 Things I Love:

Being married. Cake. The smell of Autumn. Motherhood. Books. Elephants. Back rubs. On demand movies. Actually going out to movies. Faith. Cinnamon rolls. My family. Butterflies. When my kitchen is clean. Crayons. Pink. Tote bags. Dancing. Organizing via color coordination. That my wedding dress was tea length, not floor. Baking. My house. Writing utensils. Paper. India. The sound
More about Kiera Cass...

The Selection (5 books)
  • The Elite (The Selection, #2)
  • The One (The Selection, #3)
  • The Heir (The Selection, #4)
  • Untitled (The Selection, #5)
The Elite (The Selection, #2) The One (The Selection, #3) The Prince (The Selection, #0.5) The Heir (The Selection, #4) The Guard (The Selection, #2.5)

“True love is usually the most inconvenient kind.” 1583 likes
“I hope you find someone you can't live without.I really do. And I hope you never have to know what it's like to have to try and live without them.” 1283 likes